Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wait, what? You can get SA tacked onto an Office 365 sub?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thanks Ants posted:

Wait, what? You can get SA tacked onto an Office 365 sub?

Kinda.. I'm not sure if it's available for Non Enterprise Agreement customers.

Microsoft has a new enterprise cloud suite that bundles O365 E3 license, Enterprise Mobility Suite, and Windows Software Assurance per User

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/learn-more/brief-enterprise-cloud-suite.aspx

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

Kinda.. I'm not sure if it's available for Non Enterprise Agreement customers.

Microsoft has a new enterprise cloud suite that bundles O365 E3 license, Enterprise Mobility Suite, and Windows Software Assurance per User

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/learn-more/brief-enterprise-cloud-suite.aspx

Intune itself, last I checked, includes Software Assurance, as seen here on technet: https://social.technet.microsoft.co...osoftintuneprod

Intune as of right now is $6 per user per month: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/products/microsoft-intune/Purchasing.aspx

I think the minimum purchase time is one year. So, for $72 each user, they gain the right to upgrade their device to Win 7/8/10 Enterprise. I had multiple reps confirm in writing that if you don't renew the subscription after a year, the Enterprise upgrade remains legal and legit, you just don't get to upgrade further (Windows 11 or some major 10.x revision).

Go ask a Microsoft sales guy, but the guy with the 60 audited laptops might be able to get out of that pickle for $4,320 total if I'm right.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ah cool, I knew about Intune but didn't know about the new Enterprise Agreement stuff - not that any of my clients are large enough to need it anyway.

Has Intune dropped in price or am I imagining things?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Intune with Software Assurance option was retired in Jan 2015, and was 11 bucks a month when it was available.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
We have like 20 people in the company using SharePoint in my company. Half of them half log into the website with IE then choose "Open with Windows Explorer" to get the folder to open in Windows. If they save that as a shortcut, the token eventually expires (we're not domain joined, not sure if that has to do with that bit).

Somehow a few people have it as a mapped drive and it tends to stick. I can't even get it to authenticate at all using Map Network Drive and using the person's O365 email and password as credentials.

I have tried in those cases to put the SharePoint link as both a Trusted Site and an Intranet Site, neither seems to help.

The craziest part is I have three of these people upgraded to Windows 10 and set up with Azure AD Join, and even though that auto-logs them in to Office 365 it still won't let them use Sharepoint from Windows Explorer. Has anyone figured this poo poo out?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

The Intune with Software Assurance option was retired in Jan 2015, and was 11 bucks a month when it was available.

I believe you, the MS sales guys were pitching it to me way more recently than that though.... I didn't even work here back then.

So what's the cheapest subscription-based path to SA then? That $30 per-user-per-month suite?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not sure to be honest. I don't have to think about licensing too much these days. We have a big Enterprise Agreement. Dell and Microsoft come in, tell us how many millions of dollars it's going to cost, and the higher ups sign the agreement. Everything's covered, and if something isn't we address it once a year at the EA True Up. I know I sound like a spoiled shithead.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Zero VGS posted:

The craziest part is I have three of these people upgraded to Windows 10 and set up with Azure AD Join, and even though that auto-logs them in to Office 365 it still won't let them use Sharepoint from Windows Explorer. Has anyone figured this poo poo out?

Authenticating to an O365 Directory/Website is a different type of auth than a mapped drive. The same credentials are used.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

skipdogg posted:

I know I sound like a spoiled shithead.

No, it sounds like you have a Good Job. Exactly why when I'm talking to the recruiters at the moment the first question I ask is 'how big is the network? how many seats? how many servers?'. I also want a Good Job.

edit: second I saw this my first thought was ENTERPRISE IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agcRwGDKulw

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 5, 2015

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
The 'newmicrosoft' quip was referring to poo poo I read in Twitter and the tech press from nobody's about Microsoft doing un-Microsoft things like open sourcing .NET and integrating with products like Chef instead of ignoring them or whatever.

None of these things mean anything to me, a guy who also struggles with basic licensing problems every week. It didn't warrant half a page of discussion by that's my fault for making random statements.

Tl:dr, I wish MS licensing was simpler.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's ok, man. I don't read Twitter or much of the tech press, lots of it is just bullshit from wanna-bes making up poo poo to say about things they don't understand. Discussion is pretty robust here and it's probably why many of us keep coming back.. it gave me something to talk about :)

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Some days I love my job, other times not.

That said, today is a little of both. In the process of requesting we work on our license compliance [again], our procurement team said "we already bought some of that" (in 2013 it turns out :ssj: ). After a barrage of emails, I finally have a VLSC account that I'm trying to decipher.

I wont get into the mess part; I'm working on that with our account manager now (mostly just contacts being wrong).
But as I'm new to the VLSC, I'm trying to figure out what we're actually entitled to (as I dont have invoice from the original buy in 2013).

For example, I show, under Relationship Summary -> Licensing ID -> Licenses:
"Windows Server 2012 Datacenter - 2 Proc, Version: 2012"

Yet when I pull up our keys; I have keys available for 2008 R2 (makes sense for downgrade rights), and also 2012 R2. Does this mean this entitles us to R2? There are no other Server 2012 licenses listed here.

Basically; I'm wondering if the version is representative of what we have, or if it truncates to the nearest year version of Winodws Server. Any guidance? I also have emails out to our reps on this matter; but I'm trying to prep End of Year 2015 procurements on the quick :(

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The R2 upgrade to 2012 was free the same way the 8.1 upgrade was free for 8.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

The R2 upgrade to 2012 was free the same way the 8.1 upgrade was free for 8.

Cool; now I can make sense of this all. For some reason I didnt think it was. Good to know - appreciated!
Would that logically follow that anything listed in the license key section, I'm entitled to?

Again - there is listed as "Office Standard" in the license summary; yet on the key page I have keys available for Professional Plus. Is Professional Plus listed in the license summary as "Office Standard"?
I feel stupid asking these questions; but one and the other dont quite line up.

Walked fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 9, 2015

mewse
May 2, 2006

Walked posted:

Cool; now I can make sense of this all. For some reason I didnt think it was. Good to know - appreciated!
Would that logically follow that anything listed in the license key section, I'm entitled to?

Again - there is listed as "Office Standard" in the license summary; yet on the key page I have keys available for Professional Plus. Is Professional Plus listed in the license summary as "Office Standard"?
I feel stupid asking these questions; but one and the other dont quite line up.

Office Standard and Office Pro Plus are completely separate afaik.

You could kinda assume you have rights to anything you have keys for, but the number of activations listed with the keys only very roughly correlate to how many licenses were purchased, that's back on that other page you were looking at.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I didn't think 2012 R2 was a free update from 2012. Maybe you had valid SA at the time 2012 R2 was released?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm one of those lucky souls that's just licensed for everything all the time so I could very well be wrong on that.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
The CAL upgrade was free from 2012 -> R2 like it was for 2008 -> R2, but the server software needed a new license or existing SA.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

2012 -> 2012R2 was definitely not a free upgrade. They even raised the prices when R2 came out.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

mewse posted:

You could kindaNOT assume you have rights to anything you have keys for, but the number of activations listed with the keys only very roughly DO NOT AT ALL correlate to how many licenses were purchased, that's back on that other page you were looking at.

Relationship Summary --> Licenses shows what you bought. You end up getting keys for the entire Windows family if you buy a single Windows Open Value license, and if you use them you're on the hook. See the guy a few pages back who found Win 7 Enterprise on all their desktops without licenses.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Number19 posted:

2012 -> 2012R2 was definitely not a free upgrade. They even raised the prices when R2 came out.

Was it really?! I'm so out of touch of all MS pricing/licencing because we have a massive enterprise agreement to cover literally everything everywhere forever. Big companies are good in some ways!

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

KS posted:

Relationship Summary --> Licenses shows what you bought. You end up getting keys for the entire Windows family if you buy a single Windows Open Value license, and if you use them you're on the hook. See the guy a few pages back who found Win 7 Enterprise on all their desktops without licenses.

Thank you.

I'm still in the process of a a very large purchase for new licenses and this really helps nail down what we actually have available now. (Management finally listened that we need to get this poo poo on lockdown, hooray)

To confirm, relationship summary -> licenses will explicitly display 2012R2 and not truncate to just 2012, right? These were bought around the time of R2's release so I just want to be sure.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I have the weirdest loving issue that is going to give me an ulcer. Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows server backup, the "action" pane on the right doesn't have the backup/restore options they are just missing so I can't set any backup schedules or do any GUI restores I have reinstalled the feature and the stuff is just gone it doesn't make sense. Google can't find anything exactly like it there are similar issues where installing DFS and NFS for some reason helps but that did nothing for me.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
The licensing really isn't that bad except for the "activations" you get that make a lot of people think they hit some weird licensing jackpot. They're much easier to find than your actual license specs, so easy that it's almost like audit-inducing low hanging fruit.

Then if you have an 2012R2 Datacenter license, my understanding is that you have unlimited rights to virtualize any Windows OS you want without a license as long as it's hosted on the R2 Datacenter licensed machine

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Roargasm posted:

The licensing really isn't that bad except for the "activations" you get that make a lot of people think they hit some weird licensing jackpot. They're much easier to find than your actual license specs, so easy that it's almost like audit-inducing low hanging fruit.

Then if you have an 2012R2 Datacenter license, my understanding is that you have unlimited rights to virtualize any Windows OS you want without a license as long as it's hosted on the R2 Datacenter licensed machine

Yes, that's correct. It's licensed per proc and sold in a pair, so one Datacenter license will allow you to spin up unlimited Windows servers on your normal 2 processor box.

One thing I see most companies trip over is the fact that you have to license for "temporary moves" of less than 90 days. If a piece of hardware dies and you're moving the license over for a period of longer than 90 days you're fine. Less than 90 and it doesn't count as a license move. This comes into play with vmotion / HA.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Has anyone ever used nvgre to set up a VPN between Azure and somewhere?

How did it work and what documentation did you use?

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

In SCCM, do you guys set a time limit in your automatic approval rules? I mean, I'm sure you all hand approve deployments tho staged test groups, but I'm not that fancy.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

May someone describe in laymans terms what exactly SCCM/SCOM does?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
SCCM is "configuration management" which in this case translates to a tool that helps you install operating systems on computers and install and manage applications installed on those computers.

SCOM is a monitoring tool like Zabbix or Nagios.

E: Then there's the whole rest of the System Center product suite, it's quite a lot of stuff.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
So it turns out my company wants to upgrade from office 2012 to office 365...starting Friday. Thing is, noone here has any inkling of an idea how office 365 deployments work. It seems easy enough from the office 365 side and showing users how to use it, but the trouble I keep coming back too is how the local installs work. I can get the users to migrate over from a local install to cloud based, but that's going to take some time so I want to get a local install of 2013 that's bundled with the 365 licenses up and running. The majority of the PCs in my environment are workstations that can have 20+ people using a given PC in a week- whos account to I assign that local install too? What if that user gets the boot- do I have to assign that install to another user account, or does it happen automatically when another user logs in? Is there a way I can deploy the 365 local install without assigning it as a users local install- so when the next user logs in it's assigned to one of their installs?

Who even knows.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 16, 2015

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So I have a new special snowflake exec who's driving me up the loving wall insisting on Google drive share with some data on our network.

Is it possible for me to sync just one folder inside a shared drive on our network so an employee can slap folders and file sin there and he'll get them? 3rd party, paid is fine, or if i can do this with the official client that's fine too.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just Offscreen posted:

So it turns out my company wants to upgrade from office 2012 to office 365...starting Friday. Thing is, noone here has any inkling of an idea how office 365 deployments work. It seems easy enough from the office 365 side and showing users how to use it, but the trouble I keep coming back too is how the local installs work. I can get the users to migrate over from a local install to cloud based, but that's going to take some time so I want to get a local install of 2013 that's bundled with the 365 licenses up and running. The majority of the PCs in my environment are workstations that can have 20+ people using a given PC in a week- whos account to I assign that local install too? What if that user gets the boot- do I have to assign that install to another user account, or does it happen automatically when another user logs in? Is there a way I can deploy the 365 local install without assigning it as a users local install- so when the next user logs in it's assigned to one of their installs?

Who even knows.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn782860.aspx

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Just Offscreen posted:

So it turns out my company wants to upgrade from office 2012 to office 365...starting Friday. Thing is, noone here has any inkling of an idea how office 365 deployments work. It seems easy enough from the office 365 side and showing users how to use it, but the trouble I keep coming back too is how the local installs work. I can get the users to migrate over from a local install to butt based, but that's going to take some time so I want to get a local install of 2013 that's bundled with the 365 licenses up and running. The majority of the PCs in my environment are workstations that can have 20+ people using a given PC in a week- whos account to I assign that local install too? What if that user gets the boot- do I have to assign that install to another user account, or does it happen automatically when another user logs in? Is there a way I can deploy the 365 local install without assigning it as a users local install- so when the next user logs in it's assigned to one of their installs?

Who even knows.

You will want to use the Office Deployment Tool: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219423.aspx

Basically run on it a server that has a share that your workstations can access. Modify the xml file to suit your deployment, and then download it:

code:
\\server\share\setup.exe /download \\server\share\CustomC2RConfig.xml
And once that is done, you can run the following command (with your details) on a client machine:

code:
\\server01\Office\setup.exe /configure \\server01\office\deployconfigfile.xml
When a user launches an office app, it will ask to authenticate to a Office 365 account that has the appropriate license. Every user gets 5 installs I think. Office 365 Pro Plus is tied to a user license, so there is no 'local install' account because that violates the TOS that every user must have a license.

I would strongly recommend that you do a sync of your on-prem AD to Office 365 so you don't have to deal with 2 different sets of credentials.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vilath/archive/2015/06/24/step-by-step-guide-for-aad-connect-custom-installation-federation-with-ad-fs.aspx

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

For some reason, Windows machines on our domain take a VERY long time to finish booting Windows if using Wi-Fi. Most of the time, they are sitting at "Applying Deployed Printer Connections Policy", but some sit at the "Applying SBS Sync Extension Policy" phase, for 10-15 minutes until the user is able to log in. I've looked at network traffic, and these machines aren't doing anything noticeable while stuck here. This doesn't happen if they are connected over Ethernet or if Wi-Fi is turned off via the hardware switch, they go through these stages almost instantly. RDP sessions can start and shares on these can be accessed while they're doing this.

We have two 2008 R2 DCs in our environment, and a mix of Win 7 Pro, 8.1 Pro, and 10 Pro laptops/Surfaces/whatever. This happens on all of them. We keep the DCs fully updated.

I've tried removing individual laptops from all GPO objects, no dice.

"DC-1" handles DHCP for the LAN subnet and a router handles DHCP for the trusted WLAN. They're all getting DNS from the correct servers (the DCs). Any computer or server can ping anything else, by IP or hostname. Aside from this, there's no apparent oddities on either our network or domain, including GP functionality.

Has anybody seen this before? Obviously Google throws up a lot of solutions, none of which have helped anything. This pretty-much started one day about a month ago, and I've been chasing it ever since using what spare time I can find.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 23, 2015

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there anything in the event logs during login that could shed some light on why those things take so long? Is your wifi network different from your hardwired network somehow where there are resources the computers can't access on WiFi?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there anything in the event logs during login that could shed some light on why those things take so long? Is your wifi network different from your hardwired network somehow where there are resources the computers can't access on WiFi?

I haven't been able to find anything that consistently appears in the event logs. One laptop was generating errors regarding one GP object, but this was the one that I removed from that and all other GPOs and it was still affected.

There's no traffic blocked between our trusted WiFi network and LAN. Once the user is logged in, everything works fine as far as what I've observed (or, at least, nobody has complained).

Something probably important I forgot to mention:

We have a branch office, which connects to the main office with a hardware VPN. The exact same thing happens on their LAN as well as their trusted WLAN. Their Internet connection is a lot slower than our main office's, but seems to work well enough once the user is logged in. Their VPN/Gateway/router handles DHCP for both of those interfaces, which are on the same subnet.

The main office WiFi, as well as the branch office network, are different subnets, but everything talks to everything else just fine otherwise.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 23, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What's a good tool to browse the registry of a server remotely

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Can't regedit connect to remote registry hives? Assuming you have the remote registry service enabled on the target machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Powershell can navigate the registry. You have to add it as a psdrive from memory.