Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Babe Magnet posted:

deep down, aren't we all things

It's that or a person or a place.

I feel bad I've never watched The Thing. For some reason I was always under the impression it was a bad movie to avoid. Was it a poorly reviewed movie when it came out?

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Sep 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krispy Kareem posted:

I feel bad I've never watched The Thing. For some reason I was always under the impression it was a bad movie to avoid. Was a poorly reviewed movie when it came out?

It's a really fun movie for its era. If you're an ADHD kid it might not hit all the buttons that Transformers does but it's a legit classic.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Krispy Kareem posted:

I feel bad I've never watched The Thing. For some reason I was always under the impression it was a bad movie to avoid. Was a poorly reviewed movie when it came out?

Man you really need to see The Thing

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Okay, so, if we're all going to dive into ThingTalk, we should also mention The Thing, the 2002 video game sequel to the movie The Thing (which also happens chronologically after The Thing (2010), which makes the full trilogy The Thing, The Thing, and The Thing). Anyway, in The Thing (video game) Macready turns up alive at the end of the game and helps the player escape, which means that he's not a Thing, and if Childs was he smoked that sucker.

Also, yes, Krispy Kareem, you should absolutely watch John Carpenter's The Thing. Holy god that is one horror flick that holds up to the test of time.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Krispy Kareem posted:

It had the misfortune of being released in the 80's in the midst of other barf bag films like The Toxic Avenger, The Exorcist and Cannibal Holocaust. People didn't know how to handle the gore and it got lost in the controversy.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Okay, so, if we're all going to dive into ThingTalk, we should also mention The Thing, the 2002 video game sequel to the movie The Thing (which also happens chronologically after The Thing (2010), which makes the full trilogy The Thing, The Thing, and The Thing). Anyway, in The Thing (video game) Macready turns up alive at the end of the game and helps the player escape, which means that he's not a Thing, and if Childs was he smoked that sucker.

Also, yes, Krispy Kareem, you should absolutely watch John Carpenter's The Thing. Holy god that is one horror flick that holds up to the test of time.

You find Childs' dead body, fully human, where the movie's last scene took place.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Man you really need to see The Thing

Okay okay, I'll watch it this weekend.

I mean, I enjoy John Carpenter movies (watched Christine just last night) and I like Kurt Russell. Again, I have no idea why I haven't seen it except I remember reading bad reviews about it back when I still cared what movie critics said about movies.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

cheerfullydrab posted:

Was there ever any resolution of that?

What was the controversy? I recognise the line from somewhere, but I can't think of it being connected to any huge crazy arguments.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

I mean, I enjoy John Carpenter movies (watched Christine just last night) and I like Kurt Russell. Again, I have no idea why I haven't seen it except I remember reading bad reviews about it back when I still cared what movie critics said about movies.

It did get bad reviews but most agree its a classic now.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What was the controversy? I recognise the line from somewhere, but I can't think of it being connected to any huge crazy arguments.

I googled it, and apparently it's a very famous quotation that people cannot remember where it came from

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cheerfullydrab posted:

Pretty sure it's either Robocop 1 or 2

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

speshl guy posted:

It had the misfortune of being released in the 80's in the midst of other barf bag films like The Toxic Avenger, The Exorcist and Cannibal Holocaust. People didn't know how to handle the gore and it got lost in the controversy.

Such a clever troll to include The Exorcist, made in 1973 and one of the most highly regarded horror movies in history, in your list of "80's barf bag films". Go gently caress yourself (crucifix optional).

nthing the call to watch Carpenter's Thing, though. In addition to being a good horror movie it also features some of the best practical effects in history.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Professor Shark posted:

I googled it, and apparently it's a very famous quotation that people cannot remember where it came from

The most logical explanation I heard was that it was from a 1980s play that made it to Broadway and started being used in textbooks. There are instances of similar phrases that crop up earlier, and so might have been the original source, but that particular one would explain why it keeps cropping up among certain demographics while not being able to remember where they got it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I dunno, my first reaction is that it's from Dr Strangelove, and a lot of people seem to think the same way based on my googling. Is it?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its not from anything

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

its not from anything

That's the beauty of it!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

speshl guy posted:

Those movies all own though? Maybe not Animal Holocaust but the other two for sure.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It's from Catch 22. Yossarian says it to Major Major Major Major in like chapter 8 about how to get out of the army.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Frostwerks posted:

Those movies all own though? Maybe not Animal Holocaust but the other two for sure.

Toxic Avenger loving rules, yeah

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I actually kinda like animal holocaust if it wasn't for all the animal death.

e: it has an amazing soundtrack too.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
Also it's the first time someone did the whole "found footage" thing.

I remember being surprised at how different it was from what I expected when I saw it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That's actually the controversy. Everybody recognizes the line from somewhere, but it isn't from anything anyone can find.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Krispy Kareem posted:

One of the first things I learned about movie reviews is that it doesn't matter if the movie gets a bad or a good review. If you are familiar with a reviewer's likes and dislikes, their pet peeves and such, reading their review can tell you with like 95% certainty if you'll like the movie or not. Doesn't matter if they hate the movie or love it. Being familiar with the reviewer is enough to translate their verdict into a recommendation pro or con.

It's why I'm sad Danish reviewer Ole Michelsen retired. He was very much an arthouse fan, but he reviewed everything. It blew my mind when he gave the first Matrix 4 "hats" but he was right. It's very much a "ramashang" movie, but it delivers on everything. I wonder if he actually was still around when the sequels came out.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
For whatever reason, I don't usually read movie reviews until after I've seen it. I guess sometimes it helps me make sense of things?

I still miss reading what Roger Ebert has to say. I bet he would've loved Mad Max :smith:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Also it's the first time someone did the whole "found footage" thing.

I remember being surprised at how different it was from what I expected when I saw it.

Yeah it was pretty shocking for the time, I agree with the animal death stuff - from what I've read they legit killed some animals on film & even used real carcasses for some of the human mutilation scenes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Crow Jane posted:

For whatever reason, I don't usually read movie reviews until after I've seen it. I guess sometimes it helps me make sense of things?

I still miss reading what Roger Ebert has to say. I bet he would've loved Mad Max :smith:

I don't really either to be honest. But if I'm in doubt, I'll check out a review from a familiar reviwer and know for sure.

Here's a simulation of Ole Michelsen (from a demo scene produciton, he provides the actual voice)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-KjY2NVB7g

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

That's actually the controversy. Everybody recognizes the line from somewhere, but it isn't from anything anyone can find.

I'm safe, because I know I was misremembering it. I was thinking of Null Rod from M:tG

"But it doesn't do anything"
"No - it does nothing"

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

cheerfullydrab posted:

I remember someone posting a movie clip that had a young Burgess Meredith looking like a mad scientist saying the line. I thought that was satisfying for everyone.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Do you have a link to that? Not that I'm doubting you, I just REALLY want to hear the line because I've been wracking my brain for 2 days. I found a forum where a few posters insisted that the line was part of a psychology experiment where participants were given the line and asked if they knew it/ where do you know it from :tinfoil:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0533831/

It's from this episode of the show.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Well, that's as may be, but I refuse to believe that .999 = 1 :colbert:

:getin:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

And before anyone asks, a short YT clip of the scene in question (near the end)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWlMNltHIYI

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crow Jane posted:

Some reviewers have very surprising views. I remember Barry Norman admitting that he really enjoyed the first Mortal Kombat movie and even giving it his "pick of the week" clip segment at the end of that week's episode of Film xx.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Snapchat A Titty posted:

One of the first things I learned about movie reviews is that it doesn't matter if the movie gets a bad or a good review. If you are familiar with a reviewer's likes and dislikes, their pet peeves and such, reading their review can tell you with like 95% certainty if you'll like the movie or not. Doesn't matter if they hate the movie or love it. Being familiar with the reviewer is enough to translate their verdict into a recommendation pro or con.

It's why I'm sad Danish reviewer Ole Michelsen retired. He was very much an arthouse fan, but he reviewed everything. It blew my mind when he gave the first Matrix 4 "hats" but he was right. It's very much a "ramashang" movie, but it delivers on everything. I wonder if he actually was still around when the sequels came out.

Because we didn't have internet, cable, or decent books when I was a kid I'd read the Sunday paper supplements, one of which was TV WEEK. In the back they had reviews of all the movies being shown that week with the year released, main actors, 1-4 stars, and a brief synopsis. I read the gently caress out of that to the point now that I have encyclopedic knowledge of every movie released up to 1988. They also reviewed MTV music videos. It was a weird time when everyone needed someone to tell them whether something was good enough to watch.

I think The Thing got 1 star. The reviewer thought the original was better.

But I'm watching that poo poo. Right now.

EDIT: they're trying to shoot the dog. Aww...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Det er ikke en bikkje, det er en slags ting! Det imiterer en bikkje, det er ikke virkelig!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

It was a weird time when everyone needed someone to tell them whether something was good enough to watch.

Now people just scroll down to the bottom for the score then post in the comments that the reviewer is wrong and also a human being.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krispy Kareem posted:

Because we didn't have internet, cable, or decent books when I was a kid I'd read the Sunday paper supplements, one of which was TV WEEK. In the back they had reviews of all the movies being shown that week with the year released, main actors, 1-4 stars, and a brief synopsis. I read the gently caress out of that to the point now that I have encyclopedic knowledge of every movie released up to 1988. They also reviewed MTV music videos. It was a weird time when everyone needed someone to tell them whether something was good enough to watch.

I think The Thing got 1 star. The reviewer thought the original was better.

But I'm watching that poo poo. Right now.

EDIT: they're trying to shoot the dog. Aww...

I also saw the original The Thing and it was just like every other movie you see on MST3K. Kurt Russell The Thing is legit good.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

I also saw the original The Thing and it was just like every other movie you see on MST3K. Kurt Russell The Thing is legit good.

It was good. Great special effects. Everyone also seemed surprisingly okay with killing everyone else as quickly as possible. Which is something you look for in arctic polar explorers. Now I wonder how many other great movies I've avoided just because of movie reviews. Apparently there are a whole lot of Adam Sandler movies I've never bothered to watch.

When did Winford Brimley get infected? He seemed the most anti-Thing guy on the base right up to the point where they stuck him in that cabin.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Jedit posted:

Some reviewers have very surprising views. I remember Barry Norman admitting that he really enjoyed the first Mortal Kombat movie and even giving it his "pick of the week" clip segment at the end of that week's episode of Film xx.

The first Mortal Kombat movie owns, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Krispy Kareem posted:

When did Winford Brimley get infected? He seemed the most anti-Thing guy on the base right up to the point where they stuck him in that cabin.

He got infected offscreen when he was locked in that shack. You can see a noose in the background of one of his later appearances.