Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe

SubG posted:

I've never tried making gnocchi out of yams, but when I'm making traditional potato gnocchi I boil the potatoes, rice them, then leave them to sit for awhile until they stop steaming, then roast them a little in the oven until they're pretty dry. Then they're cooled, the other poo poo added, mixed, then into the fridge to chill the dough a little for shaping, then into boiling water to cook.

If you just cook till soft, mash, and mix then depending on the potatoes they can come out very chewy and/or with a kinda slimy mouthfeel. I'd expect the same's true of other tubers as well.

congratulations on posting the thirty thousandth message in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

gbaby posted:

I bought a 3.5lb pork shoulder and want to make slow roast pulled pork for football sunday to make tacos/sandwiches. Could I get some suggestions on what spices to use for marinate and how long to cook it in the crock pot?

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Pulled_Pork

I more or less follow this and make the BBQ sauce from it except I leave in the onion and blend everything together and add in a little paprika/garlic/ cayenne etc and then bring to a boil then dump back into the shredded pork.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I got some turnips at the farmers market today, and they came with the greens. I know I can cook them, but I've never done it. In fact, I haven't really hard cooked any leafy greens, maybe ever. Anybody have a good recipe or some tips on cooking method? I was thinking maybe a braise with pork shoulder or something would be good, but that's a wild guess. I've never eaten the greens before.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Lawnie posted:

I got some turnips at the farmers market today, and they came with the greens. I know I can cook them, but I've never done it. In fact, I haven't really hard cooked any leafy greens, maybe ever. Anybody have a good recipe or some tips on cooking method? I was thinking maybe a braise with pork shoulder or something would be good, but that's a wild guess. I've never eaten the greens before.

Radish greens are absolutely amazing for saag. Beet greens, chenopodium, whatever you have are a good addition. My favorite saag is sarson ka saag, but you can go a lot of ways with it. I'd use some spinach and kale if you don't want to seek out special greens and don't have any. Radish greens on their own can be a little plain, though they have an excellent texture and taste.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Radish greens are absolutely amazing for saag. Beet greens, chenopodium, whatever you have are a good addition. My favorite saag is sarson ka saag, but you can go a lot of ways with it. I'd use some spinach and kale if you don't want to seek out special greens and don't have any. Radish greens on their own can be a little plain, though they have an excellent texture and taste.

Sweet, I'll ask my Indian friend (:goonsay:) if he knows how to make saag and has a recipe. Else I'm sure I can find something online. I'll check the wiki.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Apparently I have Chicken of the Woods not hen of the woods. Do I do the same thing?

Just a note on chicken of the woods: I wouldn't really be too concerned about this, but occasionally some people can have a negative reaction to the mushroom. Stuff like inflammation of the lips and, rarely, gastrointestinal distress. I think it's very uncommon or else nobody would eat it, but a typical recommendation is to start with a small amount and see if you're ok and then go to town.

That said I ignored that advice and split a giant one with my girlfriend and we were both fine. It was pretty delicious.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Defenestration posted:

I made Mujaddara (http://www.budgetbytes.com/2015/03/mujaddara/) and it's fine I guess but it's a little dry and boring flavor. What can I add to zhuzh it up (I have a bunch left over). Maybe raita?

Maybe lemon zest and juice?
Roasted garlic cloves?
Maybe just greek yogurt as well as all the above?
Peas, parsley or toasted nuts?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 13, 2015

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I know it's usually for shwarma, but toum is great with mujadara. I've also had it served with diced tomato/onion/cilantro/lime, almost like a pico de gallo and that was really tasty.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Lawnie posted:

Sweet, I'll ask my Indian friend (:goonsay:) if he knows how to make saag and has a recipe. Else I'm sure I can find something online. I'll check the wiki.

If you don't find anything on the wiki, the main saags are saag aloo (vegetarian, uses potatoes), and murg/h/i saagwala (murg/murgh/murghi is chicken).
You find better recipes if you know the name, so I'm just throwing it out there in case that helps.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 13, 2015

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I have some nice cheeses (about a pound's worth) that I'm going to make macaroni and cheese with, but no sodium citrate. I do have some Kraft singles, though. If I add a couple slices to the mornay, will it make the texture more silky without affecting the taste too much? Will however much sodium citrate is in there even change the texture?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

SubG posted:

I've never tried making gnocchi out of yams, but when I'm making traditional potato gnocchi I boil the potatoes, rice them, then leave them to sit for awhile until they stop steaming, then roast them a little in the oven until they're pretty dry. Then they're cooled, the other poo poo added, mixed, then into the fridge to chill the dough a little for shaping, then into boiling water to cook.

If you just cook till soft, mash, and mix then depending on the potatoes they can come out very chewy and/or with a kinda slimy mouthfeel. I'd expect the same's true of other tubers as well.

Ah, that sounds reasonable. So if I currently have a bunch of logs of yam gnocchi dough in my freezer, would it be best to cut and press them to their final shape, then put in the oven at a very low heat (or just heat it up, cut the heat, and let them sit in its ambient heat) to dry out, and later try boiling them to finish?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Mister Macys posted:

Anyone know how to make this:

It's aloe vera cubes in a light syrup/juice. They're a buck each at the local asian mart, but I'm about to single handedly clean them out.
They sell the actual plants, so I figure I'd try my hand at it at least once.

This got passed over, but I also love this stuff so I googled around a while ago and found this video. She uses a LOT of sugar :stare:

You could also maybe buy something like this in bulk at a restaurant supply store.

Wow! So good!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

holy poo poo. Thanks for that!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Help I'm making this KAF bread recipe right now and realized midway through I forgot to add the salt. Can I add it now or is all hope lost?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Never too late to work in a little salt.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Squashy Nipples posted:

Never too late to work in a little salt.

Awesome, I'll knead it in then?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It would be good to grind up the salt first if you have a Mortar and Pestle; That way it's more easily dispersed into the bread. Otherwise you'll end up with grains of salt intermixed with the bread, which while not bad is maybe not ideal.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Ah, that sounds reasonable. So if I currently have a bunch of logs of yam gnocchi dough in my freezer, would it be best to cut and press them to their final shape, then put in the oven at a very low heat (or just heat it up, cut the heat, and let them sit in its ambient heat) to dry out, and later try boiling them to finish?
At this stage I'd just run with what you have and try the other thing next time. Heating up the already-mixed gnocchi dough won't have the same effect of using heat to dry the mashed yams (or whatever) but themselves.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Update on bread - it came out sad :( Texturally it's fine, but it tastes like nothing even though I added the salt. I find it's hit or miss with KAF bread recipes sometimes.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Make French toast, remember the salt next time. I've done that mistake a coupla times. Kneading in the salt don't work very good.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Anyone have a bomb-rear end recipe or tips for homemade tomato soup/grilled cheese? I've never done a non-Campbell's soup and lovely Kraft singles variant but was looking to branch out.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

bartlebee posted:

Anyone have a bomb-rear end recipe or tips for homemade tomato soup/grilled cheese? I've never done a non-Campbell's soup and lovely Kraft singles variant but was looking to branch out.

Are you looking for something out of the ordinary? Bittman's recipe is very standard, but I like it, and maybe it's best to start there, and fancy it up later if you want, after you're used to the basics. I'd do the canned tomatoes anytime except the height of tomato season, which I think is a little behind us now?

For grilled cheese, the process isn't really much different no matter what you do, I don't think. I've only done it with cheddar but I assume any similar cheese will behave about the same. For my money, the secret to good grilled cheese is to put as thin a layer of butter on the bread as possible -- that'll make it crispy. Too much butter makes the sandwich soggy.

Wonder_Bread
Dec 21, 2006
Fresh Baked Goodness!

bartlebee posted:

Our favorite grilled cheese of late to go with a tomato soup is some good sourdough, spread with pesto on the insides and filled with sliced mozzarella, and then lightly brushed on the outsides with some olive oil.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I'd like suggestions from you all for fall-y roast duck. I'm thinking onions, rosemary, dill, parsnips, potatoes, butternut squash and brussels but I dunno. I don't feel like there's enough acid in just the onions to cut all that but I feel like citrus throws off the squash. Roast duck recipes are appreciated. Simple is better. These folks are military, not michelin star chefs.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Maybe cherries? Apricots?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bartlebee posted:

When I was in college I used to make grilled cheese with Kraft, but I would add deli salami or roast beef and make it with rye bread. True, this may now technically be called a melt, but it's drat tasty and easy. Now I would make it with shredded cheddar or pepper jack or whatever you like instead of the Kraft, but the important point is to try different breads and/or meat fillings.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Prime rib isn't normally what you would describe as bland, is it? I'm going to a nice restaurant soon, but the last prime rib I had was just awful. I know it's a tender cut, and therefore less flavorful, but I'll put it this way: We fed our leftovers to the dog.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'd like suggestions from you all for fall-y roast duck. I'm thinking onions, rosemary, dill, parsnips, potatoes, butternut squash and brussels but I dunno. I don't feel like there's enough acid in just the onions to cut all that but I feel like citrus throws off the squash. Roast duck recipes are appreciated. Simple is better. These folks are military, not michelin star chefs.

I'm guessing it's a whole duck you're wanting to roast? It's going to produce that awesome fat. I'd use that fat to roast potatoes and char the sprouts. And I would then lose everything else except the parsnips. I'd look at making an apple or pear (seasonal) sauce with fennel seed and green peppercorns. With duck I'm wanting something to absorb the fat and juices (spuds and parsnips), counter with acid and sweetness (apple sauce and parsnip) and contrast (sprouts). But mostly not throw too many things on the plate that don't work with the duck, or obscure it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Once I had really lovely prime rib at a wedding reception. The poor cow died in vain. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cavenagh posted:

I'm guessing it's a whole duck you're wanting to roast? It's going to produce that awesome fat. I'd use that fat to roast potatoes and char the sprouts. And I would then lose everything else except the parsnips. I'd look at making an apple or pear (seasonal) sauce with fennel seed and green peppercorns. With duck I'm wanting something to absorb the fat and juices (spuds and parsnips), counter with acid and sweetness (apple sauce and parsnip) and contrast (sprouts). But mostly not throw too many things on the plate that don't work with the duck, or obscure it.

It's two, however:

They're runner ducks. ( http://www.dramabutton.com/ )

On the other hand, I'm feeding very few people. I mostly wanted to roast for presentation value even though i know I'm basically taking "just enough" meat along. I'm not against parting their meat out and throwing it in a pan, but it wouldn't be as "pretty" of a main dish.

Pear sauce sounds pretty goddamn nice. I can *always* do a butternut squash soup instead of throwing it in this.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Prime rib isn't normally what you would describe as bland, is it? I'm going to a nice restaurant soon, but the last prime rib I had was just awful. I know it's a tender cut, and therefore less flavorful, but I'll put it this way: We fed our leftovers to the dog.

Never had good prime rib at function or restaurant. Always bland grey stuff covered in weak gravy. Probably because it's a roasting joint, it needs to be sliced and served rather than sliced and reheated, which I guess is what's happening.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Thanks for the suggestions! Here's hoping it turns out well. I'll check back in after.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cavenagh posted:

Never had good prime rib at function or restaurant. Always bland grey stuff covered in weak gravy. Probably because it's a roasting joint, it needs to be sliced and served rather than sliced and reheated, which I guess is what's happening.

It was pink, its just that the only flavor was the pepper rubbed into the edges. It might have been pink because it was a special, they were probably selling a ton of it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I feel like a prime rib roast is pretty, but better served as a steak where you can get more sear on it.

Just this man's opinion.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Cross-posting from the Smoking Meats thread but has anyone here shopped at Restaurant Depot? I just found out I can gain entry there for free so I'm going to go check it out. Wanted to make sure there weren't any cant miss things. I basically get all of my other stuff at Costco, H-Mart, or trader joe's.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

What's this threads favorite way of spicing up some plain medium grain white rice? My rice knowledge ends with putting some black beans on top.

e: For some background I have some fish so I was going to cook some rice on the side but my world rice view is limited.

net work error fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 15, 2015

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's two, however:

They're runner ducks. ( http://www.dramabutton.com/ )

That made my 9 month old son giggle and fill his nappy. At least I chose to think it did.

If you have the time and inclination, maybe Crispy Aromatic Duck could be good? Does take some prep though, but the end results are delicious and interactive.

net work error posted:

What's this threads favorite way of spicing up some plain medium grain white rice? My rice knowledge ends with putting some black beans on top.

I use rice to soak up sauce and juices. So stick a curry on top.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Then throw away the rice and have the curry with chapatis.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Then throw away the rice and have the curry with chapatis.

I'd take naan over chapatis all day erryday, but otherwise agree with this.

That said, if you're serving it with fish, then I think your rice could use some bright citrus flavors. Season it with salt, pepper, and a bit of cumin, toss in a hefty handful chopped cilantro, and mix some fresh squeezed lime juice in. Maybe toss in some sauteed onion and jalapeno, too. Depending on what kind of fish you have, you could throw together a salsa to top it and have a semi-coherent meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Do we have a sausage making thread or possibly just a general meat grinding thread somewhere? Couldn't find one.