Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

Monge!

Anyway more art stuff.

Also I decided to open a Patreon where I just do little pixel things for people. Pay no mind and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
Getting somewhere.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Making some final sprites finally!

Edit
From left to right; Tony Tuna - salesman and inventor extraordinaire, Coroner Crabs (get it?) and Hoki the Hobo (will be blue) - Think that psychologist from Twin Peaks mixed with the Dude, digging through trash at a gas station in the Woods.

VVV Google showed me anime and japaneese space opera music. Is that Good or bad?

Imaginary Friend fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 28, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Imaginary Friend posted:

This is just begging to have the opening theme from Paranoia Agent stuck on it.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

the chaos engine posted:

Getting somewhere.

People should be like: "Why /didn't/ the GameBoy have mouse support?"

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
wheeeeee

@Scut: I really hate having to do mouse inputs for gameplay gifs but the alternative is pulling video from an ios device, taking some frames and exporting those as a gif so gently caress that noise.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Guess what game I'm really excited for

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Imaginary Friend posted:

Edit
From left to right; Tony Tuna - salesman and inventor extraordinaire, Coroner Crabs (get it?) and Hoki the Hobo (will be blue) - Think that psychologist from Twin Peaks mixed with the Dude, digging through trash at a gas station in the Woods.

Super creative, and the art looks great.

Imaginary Friend posted:

VVV Google showed me anime and japaneese space opera music. Is that Good or bad?

He's talking about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-anabfAg06U Referring to how they're just standing there kinda laughing awkwardly.

Its a really loving weird anime that's both dark and surreal. Satoshi Kon is insane, he's like the Japanese version of Lynch mixed with Aronofsky.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 31, 2015

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I've been using GraphicsGale on my PC and now I'm looking for something on my Macbook. Seems like Pixen and Aseprite are highly regarded programs. Aseprite is multiplatform (a big plus) but Pixen looks really nice. I can't decide! Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I just started using Aseprite myself for pc and it's looking pretty brilliant. I just wish it had Pyxel Edit's tiling system. I've never used Pixen but if I had a mac I'd give it a whirl. I suppose one mark in favour of Aseprite for you is that it likely has a bigger userbase than Pixen, which might mean more random help from strangers etc.

Try em and report back?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I've been using Pixen forever and I'm a huge fan. The flexible grid tool is incredibly useful and I haven't seen an editor that works quite like it. It has historically had a few annoying problems with color and merging layers. Someday I'll probably break down and write my own pixel editor.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Internet Janitor posted:

I've been using Pixen forever and I'm a huge fan. The flexible grid tool is incredibly useful and I haven't seen an editor that works quite like it. It has historically had a few annoying problems with color and merging layers. Someday I'll probably break down and write my own pixel editor.

If you made a good cross-platform pixel editor that didn't cost hundreds of dollars you would have legions of fans.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Legions of fans telling me my dithering has pixel islands and the composition of my color ramps are all wrong. :smith:

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

I've been using Graphicsgale for ages. I also got Aseprite but I find it much harder to animate and I'm sort of just used to Graphicsgale's jankiness. Honestly I'm surprised I haven't found a pixel art-centric editor that does all the things I want.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

There is a great disturbance in the monarchy...
Polish pass on first level is done. Diminishing returns confirmed :)

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I've been using Graphicsgale for years, it's honestly not that bad (from an amateur's perspective) but like redrupee alluded to, it can be a bit awkward at times.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

My biggest issue is just how unfriendly some of the things look if you aren't being super diligent about them all the time. Case in point, I did this today:

and this was my sidebar:

I had about 40 frames and the names became "copyof_copyof_copyof_etc" on for ages. Also because I deleted a layer, it named the new layer the same as another one because it's not checking for that.

That said I still like it more than Aseprite and Photoshop was way too unwieldy for animation in my opinion.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
It's probably a matter of taste and workflow. Personally I'm pretty content with Asesprite for the kinds of animations I'm currently making. I bought Spriter a while ago and it works pretty well animating things made of pieces that move and rotate instead of drawing everything by hand.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I picked up Swankypaint the other day, mostly for nostalgic reasons (it duplicates the Deluxe Paint interface), I've also got Aseprite and I've actually used that one and liked it :)

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

The very first thing I did with Pixen was to open up a tileset .png I had made previously. I zoomed in and selected the move tool to get a better perspective. Turns out that this actually moves the picture itself within the frame, and every part of it that goes out of the frame is automatically deleted. Oh, and it doesn't ask you to save on quit – it just automatically saves the image as every move is made. Thankfully this was stored on Dropbox, which meant that a retrieval of a previous version was no issue. I get it now, I'm supposed to use the scroll to move around, but goddamn, this was a frustrating first user experience.

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Polish pass on second level complete.

Had some criticism for the platforms being too hard to see, anyone else having trouble?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Aneurexorcyst posted:

Had some criticism for the platforms being too hard to see, anyone else having trouble?
Yeah it could use better background/foreground contrast, specially when the platforms are low.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I think it could be as easy a fix as moving the skylines/second set of platforms in the background around so that the visually busiest parts are not directly behind the area where the platforms are.

high on life and meth
Jul 14, 2006

Fika
Rules
Everything
Around
Me
It's a bit tricky with Game Boy stuff since you only get 4 colours to work with, but the general approach is to only use the two lightest colours in the background. You're in too deep for that at this point I think, so maybe try this: Give the sprites and platforms an outline in the lightest colour?

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

the chaos engine posted:

It's a bit tricky with Game Boy stuff since you only get 4 colours to work with, but the general approach is to only use the two lightest colours in the background. You're in too deep for that at this point I think, so maybe try this: Give the sprites and platforms an outline in the lightest colour?

Yeah, I've had a few people mention the white outlines method, it's been a bit of a trend for modern takes on games with the 4 colour palette as of late, but not one I particularly like.

I mean, I didn't really get that many complaints from the game itself, but I get a lot from the GIF's; so if my audience grows (which would be nice) then this stuff could become a bigger issue. So I'm probably just going to ditch the background platforms - to be fair, I didn't have them for every level anyway!

A lot of the pixel art in the game is showing it's age now, remember, this was literally my first attempt at pixel art :D

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV

Aneurexorcyst posted:

Yeah, I've had a few people mention the white outlines method, it's been a bit of a trend for modern takes on games with the 4 colour palette as of late, but not one I particularly like.

I mean, I didn't really get that many complaints from the game itself, but I get a lot from the GIF's; so if my audience grows (which would be nice) then this stuff could become a bigger issue. So I'm probably just going to ditch the background platforms - to be fair, I didn't have them for every level anyway!

A lot of the pixel art in the game is showing it's age now, remember, this was literally my first attempt at pixel art :D

Do you actually transfer into the background during the game?

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Palooka posted:

Do you actually transfer into the background during the game?

Naw, it's a one touch game - I did toy with the idea, but it was probably going to add too long to the development time.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Aneurexorcyst posted:

Forgive me for asking, but is the game available anywhere? (e: never mind, it's in your first post in the thread: Jack B. Nimble for iOS)

There's a lot of stuff that looks odd in non-interactive GIFs but actually works in the context of a game. (For instance, I've been meaning to ask if the high foreground density and trees passing in front of the play area were deliberately planned to increase the game's difficulty, but it might not be all that big an issue in play.)

edit: Having played the game: At least for me, this is one of those situations; when you can actually take the time to look at the whole picture, like in the GIFs, it looks busy, but it works really well in-game and doesn't interfere with player perception at all. I was always able to tell where the jumping platforms were, and the background did a good job of fading out when I was concentrating on timing jumps and whips. (And the trees flashing by in the extreme foreground absolutely do add to the difficulty, although I'm not sure if it was deliberate.)

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 5, 2015

Aneurexorcyst
Feb 11, 2004

Besesoth posted:

Forgive me for asking, but is the game available anywhere? (e: never mind, it's in your first post in the thread: Jack B. Nimble for iOS)

There's a lot of stuff that looks odd in non-interactive GIFs but actually works in the context of a game. (For instance, I've been meaning to ask if the high foreground density and trees passing in front of the play area were deliberately planned to increase the game's difficulty, but it might not be all that big an issue in play.)

edit: Having played the game: At least for me, this is one of those situations; when you can actually take the time to look at the whole picture, like in the GIFs, it looks busy, but it works really well in-game and doesn't interfere with player perception at all. I was always able to tell where the jumping platforms were, and the background did a good job of fading out when I was concentrating on timing jumps and whips. (And the trees flashing by in the extreme foreground absolutely do add to the difficulty, although I'm not sure if it was deliberate.)

Yes, the foreground elements are intended to add visual noise and difficulty :)

Updated the third level now :)

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

After experimenting more with Pixen then I would not recommend it. It has nice features, is accessible and easy to use, but the select and move tools are seriously bad and it's incredibly frustrating. Basically if you select an image, with some blank space around it, and then move it around then that blank space will pick up any other pixels on the layer and move them with you. I was re-arranging some letters that were close together and they kept getting messed up if I didn't select exactly just the space around the letter. This plus the thing with the out of borders instant deletion make for a lacking experience. I'm going to try Aseprite now and see if I prefer it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Aneurexorcyst posted:

Yes, the foreground elements are intended to add visual noise and difficulty :)

Updated the third level now :)

For the record, I can't stop playing, and I'm really looking forward to the update where the new characters are added. Also for the record, gently caress single-character-width platforms that I don't notice until it's too late to hit them. ;)

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Bolverkur posted:

After experimenting more with Pixen then I would not recommend it. It has nice features, is accessible and easy to use, but the select and move tools are seriously bad and it's incredibly frustrating. Basically if you select an image, with some blank space around it, and then move it around then that blank space will pick up any other pixels on the layer and move them with you. I was re-arranging some letters that were close together and they kept getting messed up if I didn't select exactly just the space around the letter. This plus the thing with the out of borders instant deletion make for a lacking experience. I'm going to try Aseprite now and see if I prefer it.

Check out this new feature they just added. SO clever. Infinitely useful if you do big backgrounds like me: http://www.aseprite.org/docs/shading/

You basically select a few colors in your palette, and if you use the right mouse button it'll color the next step down, and one up with the left mouse button.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bolverkur posted:

After experimenting more with Pixen then I would not recommend it.

I think you will like Aseprite a lot more, those issues with Pixen sound maddening.

Holiday weekend here in Canada. I'm working on a couple side projects including Grid Gangs again. I decided to make a master sheet so that I could get a better sense of scope. Ideally I would like each gang to have a uniform distribution of roles, so that it gives me a specific number of slots to fill. In my mind it would be really cool to have about 8 members per gang, but holy crap is that going to take ages. I'm definitely going to force myself to fill out the current rosters further before I even think about adding new gangs.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I have been conscripted as a pixel artist until the end of the month since my ForeverJam game team has lost their artist, so I figured I'd share my work here in this thread in hopes someone would take pity upon me/be so angered by the low quality of my attempts they will volunteer to take over and do a bunch of game art for whatever ends up happening last month. So yeah, any aspiring artists who are lovely but not as lovely as me and want to waste your time every month preparing for SA WinterJam by making bogus game art, hit me up.

Because this is the quality of the stuff I'm churning out over here for this month's game, BubbleGum Fight, about competitive gum chewing and bubble blowing:

(help me)

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Re did some old stuff

GlyphGryph posted:

Because this is the quality of the stuff I'm churning out over here for this month's game, BubbleGum Fight, about competitive gum chewing and bubble blowing:

(help me)

Be careful of making your lines too thick like that.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 10, 2015

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Gaspy Conana posted:

Check out this new feature they just added. SO clever. Infinitely useful if you do big backgrounds like me: http://www.aseprite.org/docs/shading/

You basically select a few colors in your palette, and if you use the right mouse button it'll color the next step down, and one up with the left mouse button.

Holy crap I'm really tempted to buy it for this feature alone. That's so cool.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
More tiles 2: Oh no more tiles!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Metropolis? :)

Also Shoehead your tile game is getting super strong but I would suggest easing back on the grass detail. A few scattered tufts will convey the texture and feel much easier on the eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I'm super sick but I managed to get this out.

Scut posted:

Metropolis? :)

Also Shoehead your tile game is getting super strong but I would suggest easing back on the grass detail. A few scattered tufts will convey the texture and feel much easier on the eyes.

I shall futz with it.