Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Roland Jones posted:

I was thinking about something along these lines actually; how would the government and such react to people with powers on that scale? Take the hypothetical nuclear power man, or someone who can stop time or something; a quirk on that level, where the person's a natural disaster waiting to happen or where they could basically go anywhere, take anything, and/or kill anyone without anything being able to stop them or something, they may decide that the "don't use your quirk in public" law isn't enough for these individuals and do something about it. Exactly what they do may vary.

I doubt that the manga's going to explore this sort of thing, it was just a thought that occurred to me a while back and the current topic reminded me of it.

Not to swing to hard back into worm territory but they had a guy like that. He had the power to basically create new life from any organic matter. He takes over a city, kills everyone in it and eventually the government decides it's just safer to build a wall around it and let him have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

I was thinking about something along these lines actually; how would the government and such react to people with powers on that scale? Take the hypothetical nuclear power man, or someone who can stop time or something; a quirk on that level, where the person's a natural disaster waiting to happen or where they could basically go anywhere, take anything, and/or kill anyone without anything being able to stop them or something

I don't think there's really a single power that would make someone completely invincible like that (unless it was literally some "can't die no matter what and is also ultra powerful" ability). Like, even if you had some ridiculous ability like the ability to stop time or create nuclear explosions, you would still presumably need to do things like sleep and breathe and, if a government really wanted, they could probably gently caress you up.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
This just makes me think about some guy whose power is time-stop who know one knows exists because he couldn't turn it off; one day his quirk manifested, and the next thing whoever was next to him saw an 80 year old man or whatever was in his spot and was dead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stallion Cabana posted:

This just makes me think about some guy whose power is time-stop who know one knows exists because he couldn't turn it off; one day his quirk manifested, and the next thing whoever was next to him saw an 80 year old man or whatever was in his spot and was dead.

Umm, it is VERY unlikely that he would end up dying in the same spot his power first manifested! It's more likely that a dead 80+ year old would just randomly appear somewhere and lots of crazy poo poo would suddenly be discovered/happen.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's one of those things where to explain it would probably ruin it, and I should just roll with the premise but I'd kinda like a story focusing on the time quirks just showed up.

It'd be kinda cool to have an X-men world where the X gene manifested in 90% of humanity instead of like 1%, and the world wasn't so dismally awful/depressing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

I don't think there's really a single power that would make someone completely invincible like that (unless it was literally some "can't die no matter what and is also ultra powerful" ability). Like, even if you had some ridiculous ability like the ability to stop time or create nuclear explosions, you would still presumably need to do things like sleep and breathe and, if a government really wanted, they could probably gently caress you up.

That's my point, really, that the government would probably preemptively do those things because a person with that level of power just walking around is a risk they probably don't want to take. Which is a bit too dark territory for this particular series I think, though really it'd just me a more extreme version of Shinsou (instead of everyone preemptively judging him as "wow that's a villain power, huh?" it's "oh poo poo we need to do something about this person now") in a way, so I guess I wouldn't be too surprised if we saw something along those lines eventually. If nothing else it's a good motivation for an eventual, really strong VA member. "If my quirk were registered, I would be locked up just for having it, because of what I might do" or something. Could be someone inspired by Stain and/or Shigaraki's disdain for the current system, even.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 13, 2015

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Wasn't there an X-Men where some kid's power was automatically killing everyone in a 5 mile radius. Then Wolverine has to kill him.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

Wasn't there an X-Men where some kid's power was automatically killing everyone in a 5 mile radius. Then Wolverine has to kill him.

I think that was he emits radiation, so he was giving everyone around him radiation sickness and cancer with no way to turn it off. He went off to live in cave to try to avoid hurting anyone, then Wolverine kills him at the request of Professor X and the kid himself (since he doesn't want to hurt anyone else).

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I think that was he emits radiation, so he was giving everyone around him radiation sickness and cancer with no way to turn it off. He went off to live in cave to try to avoid hurting anyone, then Wolverine kills him at the request of Professor X and the kid himself (since he doesn't want to hurt anyone else).

It wasn't Radiation Sickness or w/e, people too close to him were literally catching on fire and burning up from whatever he was doing, some kind of highly toxic burning gas I think; it only affected organic, non-plant stuff; he was fine with Bananas and his house/clothing didn't melt but animals and people erupted in fire around him.

Wolverine showed up and was like 'yeah we can't have people like you existing because then people would never trust mutants so we're blaming this on a gas leak' or something.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

It wasn't Radiation Sickness or w/e, people too close to him were literally catching on fire and burning up from whatever he was doing, some kind of highly toxic burning gas I think; it only affected organic, non-plant stuff; he was fine with Bananas and his house/clothing didn't melt but animals and people erupted in fire around him.

Wolverine showed up and was like 'yeah we can't have people like you existing because then people would never trust mutants so we're blaming this on a gas leak' or something.

Yeah, kid actually does emit something toxic, not radiation. My bad. Apparently the comic is up on imgur for those interested - http://imgur.com/gallery/I71V6

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
One thing to note is that HA is pretty consistent in having powers be kind of extensions of the normal biological function, which puts natural limits on the more crazy powersets. Like, I'd imagine the guy who can stop time needs to hold his breath or somesuch.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Kyte posted:

One thing to note is that HA is pretty consistent in having powers be kind of extensions of the normal biological function, which puts natural limits on the more crazy powersets. Like, I'd imagine the guy who can stop time needs to hold his breath or somesuch.

We've already seen a guy who can create black holes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love that bomb is now an onomatopoeia.

Roland Jones posted:

I was thinking about something along these lines actually; how would the government and such react to people with powers on that scale? Take the hypothetical nuclear power man, or someone who can stop time or something; a quirk on that level, where the person's a natural disaster waiting to happen or where they could basically go anywhere, take anything, and/or kill anyone without anything being able to stop them or something, they may decide that the "don't use your quirk in public" law isn't enough for these individuals and do something about it. Exactly what they do may vary.

I doubt that the manga's going to explore this sort of thing, it was just a thought that occurred to me a while back and the current topic reminded me of it.

Isn't this the basic premise of most of Garth Ennis' work? I mean, he goes out of his way to make everyone involved a complete rear end in a top hat/psycho, but it's usually about people with powers getting taken out for the greater good/government/hire. Each new comic becoming more and more masturbatorily cynical about super heroes until he reached he pinnacle in The Boys.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Punisher MAX was pretty good until the latter half of it

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gyges posted:

I love that bomb is now an onomatopoeia.

Isn't this the basic premise of most of Garth Ennis' work? I mean, he goes out of his way to make everyone involved a complete rear end in a top hat/psycho, but it's usually about people with powers getting taken out for the greater good/government/hire. Each new comic becoming more and more masturbatorily cynical about super heroes until he reached he pinnacle in The Boys.

I don't know, I don't read his stuff. From the sounds of it, I don't think I mind, either. Like I said, I'd see this sort of thing like how things with Shinsou went, except possibly a bit more tragic, rather than... That.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Astro Nut posted:

I know at the very least there's a fan-comic about this sort of thing, and it really is kinda awesome.
I enjoyed reading this.

Thanks for sharing.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Roland Jones posted:

I don't know, I don't read his stuff. From the sounds of it, I don't think I mind, either. Like I said, I'd see this sort of thing like how things with Shinsou went, except possibly a bit more tragic, rather than... That.

When he's reigned in he's not bad, but when he can just do whatever he wants he tends to go off the deep end. When he's working under DC or Marvel on an existing property it usually turns out much better.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Avulsion posted:

Sure, but he's prolly got his own limits too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kyte posted:

If he takes a laxative it creates a quantum singularity that destroys the Earth. 95 people with a time travel quirk died to deliver that information to his pediatrician.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kyte posted:

(Insert clever joke about the Schwarzschild radius here).

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Avulsion posted:

Let's be honest, we have no clue what's up with his abilities yet. We've seen him use it a few times, but there's a lot of specifics with black holes/portal powers that would put it on a sliding scale from biological extensions (like Kyte said) to being straight up magic.

On people being stronger than All Might, we've seen a lot of people with high amounts of talent react to their talent in various ways (Deku, Todoroki, and Bakugou forming a fantastic trinity with this), I wouldn't be surprised if there's someone whose powers are off the charts, but he has no drive because he feels he has nothing to prove to anyone or anything.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Twiddy posted:

Let's be honest, we have no clue what's up with his abilities yet. We've seen him use it a few times, but there's a lot of specifics with black holes/portal powers that would put it on a sliding scale from biological extensions (like Kyte said) to being straight up magic.

The lack of spaghettified people means that Black Mist probably doesn't make real black holes, but I guess Lorentzian Traversable Wormhole Man isn't a very cool supervillain name.

Then again, comic book physics - whatever looks cool.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Say Nothing posted:

The lack of spaghettified people means that Black Mist probably doesn't make real black holes, but I guess Lorentzian Traversable Wormhole Man isn't a very cool supervillain name.

Yeah I know he can't be making actual physical black holes, I was just copying his words.

Again though, unless I missed something, we don't even know the basic mechanics behind his portals/worm holes/whatever. We've got nothing to go on other than "warping," which at this point in fiction history is a very broad and well developed skill set.

Also, physics of comic books is such a good read.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Western cape comic books loving suck poo poo!

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Say Nothing posted:

twiddy's talking about that spacesuit hero who was there when shigaraki and black mist first showed up. he makes real black holes.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Yeah, kid actually does emit something toxic, not radiation. My bad. Apparently the comic is up on imgur for those interested - http://imgur.com/gallery/I71V6

Wait, if he emits some kind of invisible catalytic gas, can't they just give him a suit that keeps the gas inside? Well yes, of course there's the fact that the kid is in terrible trauma and pain from the fact of his continued existence, but that aside, I think there would be ways of not killing him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, among other things they seemed to originate from his fingers or body, so despite sounding impressive it's really basically Shigaraki's power except he doesn't need to physically touch the thing in question to annihilate it, just be close enough to it. It was more that he adopted a space theme than that he made actual black holes, or at least they weren't anywhere on the level of "normal" black holes.

Edit: Talking about No. 13, space hero, not the kid from that comic, by the way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Irredeemable goes off the rails a bit later on but is a western comic about the superman equivalent losing it and becoming a villain. Incorruptible that is the reverse story of one of the villains is a lot better but people itt will likely enjoy both

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

Wait, if he emits some kind of invisible catalytic gas, can't they just give him a suit that keeps the gas inside? Well yes, of course there's the fact that the kid is in terrible trauma and pain from the fact of his continued existence, but that aside, I think there would be ways of not killing him.

There's like half a dozen mutants with that kind of radiation/toxin power that wear suits already. Marvel is retarded.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

This comic is bad in several ways.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Bad Seafood posted:

This comic is bad in several ways.

Yeah.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

There's like half a dozen mutants with that kind of radiation/toxin power that wear suits already. Marvel is retarded.

It's from ULTIMATE X-MEN, which is set in the ULTIMATE UNIVERSE where everything is EXTREME and over the top, especially the bodycount. Everyone is just looking for an excuse to GENOCIDE all the mutants so ULTIMATE WOLVERINE has to cover up the mess the only way he knows, by DRINKING and KILLING.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gaijin comics

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Namtab posted:

Gaijin comics

http://imgur.com/a/atrIT/all

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Avulsion posted:

It's from ULTIMATE X-MEN, which is set in the ULTIMATE UNIVERSE where everything is EXTREME and over the top, especially the bodycount. Everyone is just looking for an excuse to GENOCIDE all the mutants so ULTIMATE WOLVERINE has to cover up the mess the only way he knows, by DRINKING and KILLING.

Gay.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Avulsion posted:

At least Wolverine's power was a hell of a lot cooler in the ultimate comics. Until they got lazy and just made it healing again.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nah, they're first on the cannon fodder list.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Gaijin-kun says what we're all thinking!! :911:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Comic book physics tend to use whatever sounds cool, like Marvel had the human torch generate the planck temperature when roided out on cosmic energy, and Iceman can apparently cool things to absolute zero.
And this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I didn't read that, gently caress you!