Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rodyle posted:

5, 7, 9, 12, Tactics. Those are the must plays for RPG fans. I have serious gripes some of them but despite those problems they are all good.

12 is probably the most polarizing FF (even more than usual). Some people really like it and some really hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

2, 6, and both Tactics Advance games.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Which is why you should try it yourself.

Or maybe just check out that Zodiac version LP from awhile back.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

2, 6, and both Tactics Advance games.

What kind of person recommends the FFTA games over the original Tactics?

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

FF14 is good.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's even more polarizing than that. I really didn't like FF12 vanilla. The remix version, International Version, fixes most of my problems with the game.

It's incredibly odd to single out games in a franchise like FF when, outside of a couple battle system shares and terminology, they might as well be mostly different JRPGs that are coincidentally under the same brand.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

imo 9 is only truly worth playing if you've played the majority of the previous ffs beforehand since a huge part is how big of a last sendoff it is to the old games

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

pandaK posted:

imo 9 is only truly worth playing if you've played the majority of the previous ffs beforehand since a huge part is how big of a last sendoff it is to the old games

It's a lovely game to play if you can't stand regular, no-frills battles each taking a minimum of 4 minutes because it takes a minute to load in each encounter, to the point that the music seemed to be designed for that huge flaw.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Tae posted:

It's a lovely game to play if you can't stand regular, no-frills battles each taking a minimum of 4 minutes because it takes a minute to load in each encounter, to the point that the music seemed to be designed for that huge flaw.

lol at the amount of timed events that take place in this game taking this fact into account also lol at my stupid kid self upon first playing the game and having battle speed set to the slowest possible because i couldn't read no good

e: also i managed to stumble across and complete that whole "13 years undiscovered" lindblum nero sidequest because back then i'd spend quite literally hours just wandering around cities just interacting with everything several times

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 12, 2015

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Sounds like something to play on an emulator.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Andrast posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't want to debate the moral quandaries of "Marche did nothing wrong".

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

HGH posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't want to debate the moral quandaries of "Marche did nothing wrong".

I mostly just remember a squad of Viera assassins murdering everything in 1-2 turns.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah that works too.
And I can't bring myself to forgive some of the more random setups the Law system would cause.
Like disallowing normal attacks on a map where most enemies resist magic. Better have those antilaw cards or you're hosed!

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The real truth is the best Final Fantasy is Chrono Trigger.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
FF10 is p good.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
:lol: Final Fantasy debates are always fun.

To be fair, I haven't played more than 10 minutes of IX and something about it just turned me off. Maybe it was because VIII was super disappointing. Maybe it was the fact that the main character in IX is a boy with a tail and the other characters seem equally uninspired. I'll give it another shot sometime due to the fact it had old-school mechanics in it.

1-3 are too primitive compared to the rest of the series, 10 has a meh story and the most annoying protagonist in the entire series, 12 looks like a psuedo-MMORPG, and the less said about 13, the better. So yeah, I stand by the fact the SNES FFs are by leaps and bounds the best ones. Few other games have captivated my imagination like those games did when they came out (obviously played 5 a little later due to it not being released state-side until the late 90s, but still), and they still hold up, in my opinion.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

Someone who didn't play it?

Excuse me for only recommending games I played and enjoyed and not Let's Plays I watched/read.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Someone who didn't play it?

Excuse me for only recommending games I played and enjoyed and not Let's Plays I watched/read.

Go play Tactics.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Charles Martel posted:

Maybe it was the fact that the main character in IX is a boy with a tail and the other characters seem equally uninspired.

Please don't talk poo poo about the best FF protagonist.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

ff9 is god awful

the character design makes me think i'm playing some lovely rejected video game adaptation of the dark crystal

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dias posted:

Please don't talk poo poo about the best FF protagonist.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
every game is the worst game in the series

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
These ff games vs ff games never lead anywhere and I can judge this poo poo cus I didn't play any of them

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i also beat tactics and tactics advanced but those arn't mainline so i didnt include them.

advanced isnt as good as tactics but it is still a fun game imo.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Let's stop talking about FF and instead talk about the new Until Dawn video, aka the adventures of Mike "gently caress fingers" Munroe.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
2015: Year Of The Video Game Good Dog

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Okay so I'm enjoying the Until Dawn videos more than any of the other current series, yet I don't feel the compulsion to downvote everything that isn't Until Dawn. Is something wrong with me? Should I seek medication?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Krazyface posted:

Okay so I'm enjoying the Until Dawn videos more than any of the other current series, yet I don't feel the compulsion to downvote everything that isn't Until Dawn. Is something wrong with me? Should I seek medication?

I don't even downvote videos unless it's actually really loving poor quality. Like the video has to actively be much worse than their usual content before I'll downvote it. I think I might be a casual youtuber instead of one of the hardcore ones.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

I finally got around to watching/catching up with Woolie vs Reboot. Woolie revealing his true power level, and going on a 5-10 drunk/angry ramble about intricacies of Reboot lore, speculation and potential, is the best. The BEST.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

people actually vote on videos?

fcked up if true

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

pandaK posted:

people actually vote on videos?

fcked up if true

Srsly

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I was wondering how long it would take for people to notice the salt wars going on.

doos posted:

I finally got around to watching/catching up with Woolie vs Reboot. Woolie revealing his true power level, and going on a 5-10 drunk/angry ramble about intricacies of Reboot lore, speculation and potential, is the best. The BEST.

No, the BEST is the part where he starts rambling then goes "Oh gently caress IT you don't even care about that".

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Krazyface posted:

You joke, and while I think Until Dawn is the most compelling Let's Play we are currently doing in terms of story and the overall narrative, it's bugging the poo poo out of me to see "gently caress this video, where's Until Dawn" every time.

Why did you come to our concert just to boo us?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TheRealestMatt posted:

You joke, and while I think Until Dawn is the most compelling Let's Play we are currently doing in terms of story and the overall narrative, it's bugging the poo poo out of me to see "gently caress this video, where's Until Dawn" every time.

I'm just amazed that you look at the comments at all. Reading youtube comments is annoying enough without actually being the recipient.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oh drat it why did FF chat have to end before my raging nostalgia boner could broadcast how much I love FFIV and the objectively terrible After Years.

Also wow that is some dislike button pettiness. I mean I'm all for frivolous use of it(eating during an LP? DOWNVOTE) but that seems weird and obsessive.

EDIT: TBFP comments are actually better than the norm, which means they are at "Sometimes Decent" instead of "poo poo Mountain". This is the first real bit of fringe lunacy I've seen outside of souls backseat gaming(and that's everywhere, they'll find videos with like 10 views like bloodhounds). All you need now is gamergate spam and racism and you've hit the big time!!!!

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 13, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheRealestMatt posted:

Dumb self-entitled teenagers is the answer to everything. Or at least I hope it is. If a current LP doesn't interest you, or if only one of the current LPs interest you, just go...watch other stuff??? I don't get why that is so hard for some people to understand.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Dias posted:

Dumb self-entitled teenagers is the answer to everything. Or at least I hope it is. If a current LP doesn't interest you, or if only one of the current LPs interest you, just go...watch other stuff??? I don't get why that is so hard for some people to understand.

Watching things you genuinely enjoy without being a poo poo about other content you don't care for is difficult.

edit; Also, Matt, I find it funny how on Tumblr there's been a few people who have been saying to you about how in Until Dawn, they think it didn't make sense for Chris to choose to save Ashley over Josh. I'm wondering why there's so much contention over that since it does make sense overall.

Kinda laughing at the guy who thought friendzoning was worse than death, sheesh.

Compendium fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 13, 2015

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
It's all about that "NOW NOW NOW" attitude. "I want more of the thing I like NOW! Is this video the thing I like? No? Well gently caress you, give me my video NOW."

Speaking of Until Dawn, was there anyway to avoid the bear trap and save both your fingers and the machete?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Mr. Matt McMahon I appreciate the content. That being said I wish you guys would do more FMV games. Possibly as a Let's Watch. I think that would kill it (the channel). Get Liam the Game Slave to play it while you guys drunkenly comment over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhonne posted:

Speaking of Until Dawn, was there anyway to avoid the bear trap and save both your fingers and the machete?
Yes. Don't touch it at all, since it doesn't give you anything.