Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Code Talker is cool and the most MGS character in a game that probably needed more MGS characters. But hell, I still liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
I bet all that chapter 3 stuff people are finding are placeholders for DLC

I hope... :ohdear:

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

lovely Wizard posted:

Honestly, I sort of wonder kind of brain the people who fell for the Ingsoc stuff are 'operating' with. It was a crappy looking site with the only materials being fanwanking Kojima or existing stuff from trailers/GZ.

the kojima and konami tweets/retweets about 1984 (track 9/11 on diamond dogs) paired with the WTC credits screen were the only thing that lent it any credence at all. I still think my big 1984->brother theory is super great independently so see you guys after our wildest dreams come true on 10/11.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

so if you quarantine all the kikongo folks do they still die ??

they're all corralled on the quarantine platform and are for sure susceptible to the disease. does it even matter

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

oddium posted:

so if you quarantine all the kikongo folks do they still die ??

they're all corralled on the quarantine platform and are for sure susceptible to the disease. does it even matter

According to the lore I think anyone who's progressed to the symptomatic stage is dead? but I didn't actually bother to check on what happened to the non-symptomatic guys.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

How the gently caress is Miller going to spend all that money he's thirsty for while chilling on a modified oil rig in the middle of nowhere? He doesn't seem like the "saving for retirement" type, either.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Snake sitting there like a loving chump and not saying a god drat word during Skull Face's monologue was loving stupid

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

VarXX posted:

I bet all that chapter 3 stuff people are finding are placeholders for DLC

I hope... :ohdear:

Yeah I'm down for a lot of DLC using this engine

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Alain Post posted:

Code Talker is cool and the most MGS character in a game that probably needed more MGS characters. But hell, I still liked it.

Yeah I was a little disappointed that Ocelot wasn't more MGS considering he is the most MGS character in the series.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Cnidaria posted:

Yeah I was a little disappointed that Ocelot wasn't more MGS considering he is the most MGS character in the series.
The Ocelot/Quiet model swap videos and Ocelot admitting he was in love with Big Boss (ok ok, "the legend") scratched that itch for me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like parasites more than nanomachines because you can use parasites to make really ham-handed metaphors that MGS loves so much.

"drat... the true parasites are us" - OK
"drat... the true nanomachines are us" - WTF?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Alain Post posted:

I like parasites more than nanomachines because you can use parasites to make really ham-handed metaphors that MGS loves so much.

Agreedo

Oh yeah where the gently caress do you get things for the parasite suite

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Agreedo

Oh yeah where the gently caress do you get things for the parasite suite

You need to be able to extract the skulls I think.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Alain Post posted:

Yeah I love Kojima's ham-handed metaphors and I was happy that this game still had a ton of them.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
gently caress, gently caress, FUCCCK

Im down to two total stealth missions and Quiet is gone! gently caress

She makes em' piss easy, I want her to live.

Do i still have a chance to keep her after trying to find her?

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 13, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Between everything in the game being some kind of parasite to some other thing, and people talking about having phantom pain a lot, I was happy with the ham-handed writing in this game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the ocelot scene where he berates the cocky gunman for doing all the rookie things he did owns, and then it owns even more when you realize he's aware venom is watching, but does venom even remember than encounter ??

being big boss' right hand man and best friend is ocelot's dream, but it's gotta be so hollow at the same time

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
we're the hosts, not the parasites

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The Radix posted:

we're the hosts, not the parasites

Actually, the PMCs including Diamond Dogs are parasites on the war-torn fields of Afghanistan and Africa. hosed up.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Alain Post posted:

Between everything in the game being some kind of parasite to some other thing, and people talking about having phantom pain a lot, I was happy with the ham-handed writing in this game.

Snake metaphorically becoming a demon while literally having a demon horn is also great.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Fargin Icehole posted:

gently caress, gently caress, FUCCCK

Im down to two total stealth missions and Quiet is gone! gently caress

She makes em' piss easy, I want her to live.

Do i still have a chance to keep her after trying to find her?

Do you have Side OP 150? If so, then you're hosed mate.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

"A Nice White Male". What are those names, the dev team?

Also, Venom and Diamond Dogs are so benevolent that they achieved total nuclear disarmament. They are truly the moral vanguards that we should all aspire towards.

ZenVulgarity posted:

Snake sitting there like a loving chump and not saying a god drat word during Skull Face's monologue was loving stupid

Venom says literally one line to Skull Face in the entire game and that's "There were three. Where's the other?" Based on his taciturnity, I think its canon that Venom must hav just played with his iDroid for the duration of the car ride, paying only half his attention while he spent money on clothes and toys for his army.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

In It For The Tank posted:

Also, Venom and Diamond Dogs are so benevolent that they achieved total nuclear disarmament. They are truly the moral vanguards that we should all aspire towards.

I'm guessing it's the people with the most nukes discarded, and since it's apparently not cut it must be counting it already.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

In It For The Tank posted:

Venom says literally one line to Skull Face in the entire game and that's "There were three. Where's the other?" Based on his taciturnity, I think its canon that Venom must hav just played with his iDroid for the duration of the car ride, paying only half his attention while he spent money on clothes and toys for his army.

You actually can turn your cassette player speaker on during this. Unfortunately, this doesn't do anything but it's funny.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Unreal_One posted:

Do you have Side OP 150? If so, then you're hosed mate.

Yup, I do, and, gently caress. I do not want to do Pitch Dark on Total Stealth

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Alain Post posted:

You actually can turn your cassette player speaker on during this. Unfortunately, this doesn't do anything but it's funny.

"I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by sol-"

*FAAAAAAAAAAARRRTTTTT*

Caros
May 14, 2008

Alain Post posted:

Nothing beats using the 'recorded in the bathroom' tape while he stares seriously at you for the last half of the drive. Its so metal gear.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

oddium posted:

the ocelot scene where he berates the cocky gunman for doing all the rookie things he did owns, and then it owns even more when you realize he's aware venom is watching, but does venom even remember than encounter ??

being big boss' right hand man and best friend is ocelot's dream, but it's gotta be so hollow at the same time

He quotes the speech Big Boss gave him the first time they fought too.

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Alain Post posted:

I was really hoping that he would respond to one of the tapes in the third category, a category reserved for special effects/easter eggs, but nope. Nothin.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
the gray_xof guy is losing his loving mind on twitter (the official community manager disowned him and the whole ingsoc thing so that's that) and It's pretty amazing.

Apparently his theory is gray fox related (go figure) because I guess a certain subset of fans (this guy) are super heated that he isn't in the game at all.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

If this is all setting up the part in Metal Gear 2 about how Zanzibarland has all of the nukes from around the world that used to be operational, thus leading to an eventual Metal Gear 2 remake, I can finally die a happy man.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
skull face planned that jeep ride for weeks in his head and he's not going to let reality get in his way

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

so what im taking from this is that the ARG is now to achieve nuclear disarmament, then kojima will give us chapter 3

Alain Post posted:

Actually, the PMCs including Diamond Dogs are parasites on the war-torn fields of Afghanistan and Africa. hosed up.

ah, i see
like fleas on a dog

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

The Radix posted:

so what im taking from this is that the ARG is now to achieve nuclear disarmament, then kojima will give us chapter 3

ah, i see
like fleas on a dog

What if there's another hidden ending for nuking other people the most? :tinfoil:

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Actually doesn't this put Venom Snake way over any shades of grey (but not really since he never actually DOES anything really bad despite the we're going to hell or whatever talk) into full on good guy, considering he literally disarmed the world of nukes?

The fact that there's 7 minutes of cutscenes and a Sutherland/Venom Snake monologue makes it canon as poo poo to the story.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Here you go ffs, you want a quote that is literally as explicit as possible?

"Start a war, fan it's flames, then create victims ... Then save them, train them... And feed them back onto the battlefield. It's perfectly logical system. In this world of ours conflict never ends, and neither does our purpose, our ... raison d'être"

Cipher's plan is not like Big Boss's at all. Cipher wants to unify the world through pure information control. Cipher is about creating pure order by stamping out and censoring anything that upsets the balance. The byproduct of Cipher's plan is that the AIs take on a will of their own and create the war economy from MGS4. That wasn't Cipher's plan. Cipher is all about eliminating free will - Big Boss wants absolute free will through chaos and conflict. The Boss wants absolute free will through disarmament and peace. She wants there to be no need for soldiers - Big Boss wants there to be a permanent place / need for them.

Yes, there would still be soldiers. But they have no free will, which is what the Boss and Big Boss value most. The SOP system controls the soldiers and their weapons like literal tools. The entire goal of Cipher was to erase individuality completely.

Big Boss does not have to do "nothing" for a global war to occur. The entire plot of MG2 is that the Cold War thawed and everyone but BB scrapped their nukes. His vision is not just small-scale conflicts in third world hellholes - he wants the entire world united in combat.

Look at the full conversation

Big Boss: You saw those children, didn't you? Every one is a victim of a war somewhere of the world. And they'll make fine soldiers in the next war. Start a war, fuel its flames, create victims... Then save them, train them... And feed them back onto the battlefield. It's a perfectly logical system. In this world of ours, conflict never ends. And neither does our purpose... our raison d'etre.
Snake: So there's plenty of job opportunities... Is that what you're trying to say?
Big Boss: On the battlefield, you and I are valuable commodities. But back "home", we're nothing but dead weight. If we're lucky, we might get the attention of some two-bit journalist from a cheap tabloid. You and I are doomed to remain here until we die like dogs on the battlefield.

This isn't some ridiculous plan to start wars to harvest child soldiers, it's a critique of the miserable state of the world and it's effects on soldiers. These conflicts are always there. Again, Big Boss doesen't have to do anything to instigate them, they're constantly being created because they're built in to the way the global economy functions.

The problem with nerds is their inability to critically examine the media they're consuming. Like the repeated insistence that the Boss died because she just wanted every soldier to just stop fighting and get along. This is a completely invented fantasy that occurs nowhere in the text. The Boss doesen't choose to die in battle for her ironic love of pacifism or whatever. She dies because she thinks the only way to unite the world is by restoring power to a select group of wealthy elites who can manipulate everything behind the scenes. We see what happens as a result of this. Instead of facilitating closer bonds between nations, the exploitation and division is only exacerbated. Nations are intentionally destabilized and their conflicts used as an integral part of the way the system functions. The system itself is hopelessly corrupt and instead of faithfully believing it can be salvaged, Big Boss rejects it and decides that there needs to be an alternative.

But instead of trying to end this hopeless cycle, we have this incoherent mess that says Big Boss loves the system but hates that the wars just aren't... free enough? Like he's trying to deregulate war? It's completely idiotic. SOP isn't a concern of Big Boss or Zero because SOP isn't an actual thing that exists in reality. It's a symbolic metaphor for ideology, the ideology being exerted by this rapidly expanded military-industrial complex, which is what Big Boss is actually fighting against. What's especially bewildering is the idea that Big Boss's grand plan is to plunge the world into full scale global conflict, which is directly contradicted by the entire plots of Portable OPs, Peace Walker, TPP, etc which are about averting such pointless wars.

quote:

Once again, please provide a single quote that implies even a little bit that his plan is to eventually disarm the world.

Miller: ...Unless we want to end up like Che Guevara did in Bolivia.
Snake: Well said. Our army without borders doesn't have a land to call home. We're nomads. Wanderers. What we need now is a sheepdog to guard our flock.
Miller: Right.
Snake: Maybe it's not the way The Boss would have gone about it... But there are places in this world that need us - and soldiers that need MSF. And as long as we're needed, we'll keep on moving. Ours is a journey that never ends. We're the real Peace Walkers.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

the gray_xof guy is losing his loving mind on twitter (the official community manager disowned him and the whole ingsoc thing so that's that) and It's pretty amazing.

Apparently his theory is gray fox related (go figure) because I guess a certain subset of fans (this guy) are super heated that he isn't in the game at all.

Was that dude actually involved in any way with the game or its development to begin with? I thought it was just some random crazy fan. Kojima fans are always a great source of absolute insanity, if nothing else. I like to believe that Kojima himself was purposefully trolling people, like when he posted that action figure of Venom holding his hand in front of his face like Gray Fox after that incredibly stupid "Venom is actually Gray Fox" rumor picked up momentum.

Also I love the quiet jeep ride because Skull Face is just delivering this monologue that he's been waiting to unleash for the entire game, and Venom just doesn't give a single poo poo. He's probably staring into the distance, imagining all the different ways he's about to gently caress Skull Face's life up in the next 10 minutes. "Yeah whatever, parasites. Cool." I thought it was a pretty funny scene since normally Snake would be repeating everything he says in increasingly incredulous tones, but this worn-out Big Boss is having none of it. The superhuman psychopaths with grandiose plans don't even phase him anymore. There's no way it wasn't supposed to be at least a little funny when Sins of the Father kicks in after Skull Face runs out of things to say - it's such a deliberate callback to the ladder in Snake Eater, and it works as a humorous bookend with Huey, the most vile and pathetic character in all of MGS, shouting "revenge" like a spastic after blowing his skull apart.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

lovely Wizard posted:

Actually doesn't this put Venom Snake way over any shades of grey (but not really since he never actually DOES anything really bad despite the we're going to hell or whatever talk) into full on good guy, considering he literally disarmed the world of nukes?

The fact that there's 7 minutes of cutscenes and a Sutherland/Venom Snake monologue makes it canon as poo poo to the story.

Does this mean the CIA director really went back in time and beat the poo poo out of Snake?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lovely Wizard posted:

It literally can't be canon because every single one of the next games rely on the idea of nuclear weapons still not only existing but being common.

It is at best some kind of secret ending unlocked via FOB things and at worst something that has no context whatsoever and is just a leftover concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also, you know, the fact that it doesn't seem to be in the game.

• Locked thread