Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is that a Mustang?

No, its the Magnum Opus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

My turn:

Oh, that's where I left my shiv. Thanks for holding onto it for me, buddy!

Some nice scenery near from a camp in Jeet's territory.

This one really makes me think of Fallout.

Just a couple more I like:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Daaaaaamn I need that chrome-skull hood ornament!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is that a Mustang?

Looks like a ram.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

KakerMix posted:

To the guy that hasn't ever seen a Mad Max movie you owe it to yourself to watch Fury Road. The movies and game aren't connected in any sort of arc they just sort of share aspects with each other and the overall universe.
Fury Road is an instant classic.

Just did this, can confirm, holy poo poo that was amazing.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Songbearer posted:

Post-ending, I like to imagine Max has gone so far over the edge he's imagining everyone being alive

If you talk to people on the map that give you hints or want help with scrap post-ending sometimes they have a "dream" filter on them and they are Hope or Glory talking to you.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Does the setting ever explain what the disaster was that caused the oceans to recede? That is one detail I've got no clue on.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

winterwerefox posted:

Does the setting ever explain what the disaster was that caused the oceans to recede? That is one detail I've got no clue on.

It's intentionally vague but I believe it's a combination of global warming and nuclear war.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Yea The intro to Road Warrior says something like "For reasons long forgotten, two great warrior tribes went to war and scorched the world". The original doesn't mention it at all, and aside from the weird MFP stuff it might as well just be rural Australia.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
It's pretty clear, if not outright states, that there was a nuclear exchange between several nations. I don't know if nuclear winter could possibly cause the oceans to recede like this - I don't think it could, but even a small nuclear exchange would have serious climatic impacts, so maybe?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

winterwerefox posted:

No, but there's some discussion in the Fury Road thread in CD that a small, localized ice age brought on by a nuclear exchange somewhere else in the world could cause the oceans to recede a couple hundred feet which would drop sea levels drastically. It's probably best not to think too hard about it, though.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
From what I understand Australia wasn't really hit directly by the global thermonuclear war like, say, America or Russia or China or whatever were since they're out of the way. However, the war precipitated a global energy crisis which is why fuel is so goddamn important (Miller's inspiration for the original Mad Max was the 1973 oil crisis). The energy crisis lead to mass looting and public hysteria and the collapse of civilization.

MFP was probably just a stopgap measure by the Australian government to stop looters and bandits, but as you can see it just delayed the inevitable.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 13, 2015

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The game references global warming as well so who knows.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yea The intro to Road Warrior says something like "For reasons long forgotten, two great warrior tribes went to war and scorched the world". The original doesn't mention it at all, and aside from the weird MFP stuff it might as well just be rural Australia.

Any accounts of history are over simplified and almost childish, if Thunderdome is any indication.

I think we're supposed to just accept the setting and not question it too much.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

Any accounts of history are over simplified and almost childish, if Thunderdome is any indication.

Well, they do refer to books as Word Burgers...

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
It's not until the third movie that the use of nukes is explicity stated. It seems to be that an energy and environmental crisis was causing a slow societal collapse, as seen in the original Mad Max, with a tipping point being reached and a nuclear war happening offscreen between films one and two.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Anywho, here's some more screens.

Actually I'm sure one of the History relics talks about ice and a big thaw before all the water disappeared.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Actually I'm sure one of the History relics talks about ice and a big thaw before all the water disappeared.

Yeah, there's a photo of a guy sitting on a bench in a park with the water coming up to his knees. Sea levels rose dramatically then I guess the water cycle went crazy somehow and there's no water (but a ton of sandstorms).

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The water disappeared when Earth was struck by a comet, obviously.

Furiosa is just Tank Girl retconned to fit into Mad Max's post-apocalyptic Australia.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 13, 2015

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
:madmax:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Well, just finished it, I liked it, it was fun, but at the same time there's a lot of things that I don't understand.

By the time I got the V8 the game was 90% over and you don't really get a chance to upgrade it unless you've been hoarding scrap like a lunatic

On top of that there's a few things that are pretty obscure, like needing two upgrade in the Friars keep to continue the story with Hope, the only way I found that out was by checking the story mission section of the main menu, I went up to her in the underbelly and just saud "Never get through there...", I don't know how that translate's to some random I never met, and seemed to have next to no connection with Hope, needing upgrades for his keep

Anyway, at the start I didn't quite get what all the fuss was about, but I get it now, it's a pretty game and the majority of the mechanics are executed pretty well, but overall there's some weridness that just leaves me with a :mediocre: feeling at the end.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Any idea why I can't move the screenshot camera more than a few feet from the car now? Have I hit something I cant turn off?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So if I'm taking a lot of screenshots on my Xbox One, is there any way to share them online so I can post them in this thread?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I recall it used to work in a way that you have to export those screenshots from Xbox cloud, and then you can upload them to imgur or somewhere for sharing - probably still works like that.

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Does it seem like the latest patch (that included the rockstar car) broke waiting for scrap from allied camps? I used to just Alt+Tab the game to build up a scrap stockpile while doing some work, but haven't gotten any from that in a while. Now I just get allied camps while driving around. Maybe it has a timer that doesn't count when you are in strongholds?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

So maybe I'm just an impatient idiot, but there seem to be several Wasteland missions that I don't have yet. Things like the mission that gets me faster repair speed for my car.

I'm on a Pinkeye Wasteland mission currently, with no others showing on my map. Do I need to progress the main storyline to get to more Wasteland missions, or do I need to do the Pinkeye mission and then I'll get more Wasteland missions to accomplish?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Deep Friah also gives wasteland missions. Go see him.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ilustforponydeath posted:

And what an excellent mannequin he portrays.
"I'd talk, but I'm not charlize theron, therefore I should just leave the acting to her"

Garbage movie desperately cashing in on internet poster sentiments.

Have you never watched a Mad Max movie?
He's always been a man of few words.

Two Piece
Jul 30, 2011

~*wonk*~

Deakul posted:

Have you never watched a Mad Max movie?
He's always been a man of few words.

This. Mad Max is less of a character, and more just a vessel used to expose you to the world and the characters in it.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Just a question about how to proceed with the game

Is it a good idea to get the V8 and then do all the wasteland stuff I missed? I hear thats pretty near the end. Is the plot so urgent at that point that it will feel wrong to go off and do everyone elses wasteland missions at that point?

KlavoHunter
Aug 4, 2006
"Intelligence indicates that our enemy is using giant cathedral ships. Research divison reports that we can adapt this technology for our use. Begin researching giant cathedral ships immediately."

These two are really nice.

Wamdoodle posted:

Holy poo poo, stealing this one :tipshat:

Thanks, I decided I needed to take a suitably grim screenshot on my way to Gastown to start the final story mission. The first version was third-person behind the car, but it wasn't half as cool as this fake-first-person view shot.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

ShineDog posted:

Just a question about how to proceed with the game

Is it a good idea to get the V8 and then do all the wasteland stuff I missed? I hear thats pretty near the end. Is the plot so urgent at that point that it will feel wrong to go off and do everyone elses wasteland missions at that point?

I've got almost 70 hours in this game, and I'm very much a completionist. I'm going to lay out THE CORRECT WAY TO PLAY THIS GAME according to this man's opinion. In every open world game, there's a time to allow yourself to wander, and there's a time to pay close attention to the story and not get distracted doing the small stuff as it completely breaks the immersion and narrative flow. So, here's what I recommend:

Play any way you want right up until you are ready to enter the Gastown race for the V8. That race is the end of act 3. Before that race, go and pull down towers, do doughnuts in the sand, ramp off cliffs, explore, do whatever you want and it won't disrupt the flow. All those things you do will unlock stuff for Max and the Magnum Opus, which you'll need later on.

Then, when you are ready, go to Gastown. The story events afterwards all flow one into the other, and the best way to experience them is to play them non-stop until you see the end credits. There are 16 story missions in total, and you can run Gastown race -> credits in 3-4 hours.

After the credits, you get some unlocks and you can go back to cleaning the map.

tl;dr - Play any way you like until the Gastown race, then play *only* story missions, then do post-credits wasteland wandering.

Everything in the second half of the story is amazing, and yes there's a real sense of urgency to a lot of it.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
See, that's annoying, because I wanted to gently caress around upgrading the V8

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

ShineDog posted:

See, that's annoying, because I wanted to gently caress around upgrading the V8

With so much stuff on the map, you can still do a lot of cleaning up afterwards and with a couple of extra toys you got as end of game rewards. All the upgrades for the V8 are just done with scrap, nothing is gated behind missions or side quests or influence levels.

Don't worry too much about the V8, it's the journey to get it that's the reward. I had so much scrap coming in after 60 hours of fannying around that I went from base level to 3rd best V8 in the space of a few minutes. With all the shocks and exhausts and other unlocks you really don't notice the difference in the V8 upgrades anyway, apart from the air intakes looking more and more huge with each one.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Segmentation Fault posted:

It's intentionally vague but I believe it's a combination of global warming and nuclear war.

global warming can't make the oceans recede like that. Land barriers emerging and shifting is what causes oceans to drain out into salt flats though.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
this patch broke something, I'm not getting scrap crew rewards anymore.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

GuyUpNorth posted:

I recall it used to work in a way that you have to export those screenshots from Xbox cloud, and then you can upload them to imgur or somewhere for sharing - probably still works like that.
Hmm okay, thanks for the tip. I'll play around with it some more.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

New bug, a minefield I know was there isn't registering anymore and the dog can't detect any mines. drat. He barks but nothing shows up. Might have borked the save, might need to restart.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Parkingtigers posted:

[welcome advice]

Does this apply to everything equally or do some wasteland missions cease to exist as you advance the plot? I ask because I accepted a mission from a character, went onto some storyline stuff, only to find that that character teleported across the map to appear in a plot cutscene with no explanation and is now no longer accessible. I'm guessing they'll show up again maybe as I keep advancing the plot, but for the time being, that mission is hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I went through the game in about 30 hours with a lot of the side stuff done. once you aren't a weak little kitten in a go-kart, the game starts to be fun.

The entire game should have been like taking down convoys with a huge variety of convoy make-ups. All the climbing poo poo is complete bunk.

i would love if they added a new game plus mode, where you start from the beginning with your pimped out max and car and just run around stomping on everything.

• Locked thread