Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Oh my god, JRPGVillage got a redesign? Ooooooh, giiiiiiirrrl...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

horse mans posted:

- The barbed wire around the starting area can't be flown over.
Adding to my list of poo poo to check out.

horse mans posted:

- I might just be getting old, but getting to the top of the waterfall is a real pain in the rear end. There's an angled floor at the far top right which I always miss, and a lot of the islands are really easy for me to miss.
Yeah, the waterfall climb is nightmarish. Luckily I think you can avoid having to do it by going through the alien area instead. I wanted to change it up a bit, but I didn't get around to it.

horse mans posted:

- In the waterfall area, on the ramp at the opposite side, projectiles and enemies seem to randomly teleport out of existence (complete with green flash). I assume they're being teleported to somewhere else on the map?
Yeah, they get teleported either to the starting base or the top of the waterfall, presumably to stop the river from becoming a moshpit.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Thanks man! This is absolutely awesome! So much loving fun. It's so great to catch all the easter eggs and gaming references.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I would looooove a kill count right next to the score :allears:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

oh my god when dog mode and super weapons roll together you spawn with each mega bark five little dogs which attack enemies :3: too bad they turn after you when the round ends

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

jimmy boag posted:

I probably shouldn't keep zdoom and gzdoom in the same folder

I keep ZDoom, GZDoom, Zandronum, Skulltag, GLOOME, and PRBoom+ in the same folder. :shrug:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think if I was able to play Reelism as Hai Lin, that... that would be the best thing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What early FPSes support local multiplayer other than Serious Sam, if any? I'm really curious, 4-player Quake deathmatches on the couch without having to gently caress with an N64 would be rad.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think if I was able to play Reelism as Hai Lin, that... that would be the best thing.

That'd be pretty wonderful. :magical:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

LORD OF BUTT posted:

What early FPSes support local multiplayer other than Serious Sam, if any? I'm really curious, 4-player Quake deathmatches on the couch without having to gently caress with an N64 would be rad.

Doom Legacy supports split screen, if you can get it working.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to follow up on the news of hi-rez revamping tribes: ascend and trying to make it a good game, you can download the public test server and try out some of the big changes yourself. uses the same account you may or may not have had for the 'normal' game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tribes/comments/3kb3u7/pts_11_is_available_now_get_it_here/

it's actually pretty refreshing to have so many things open to play with now.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

to follow up on the news of hi-rez revamping tribes: ascend and trying to make it a good game, you can download the public test server and try out some of the big changes yourself. uses the same account you may or may not have had for the 'normal' game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Tribes/comments/3kb3u7/pts_11_is_available_now_get_it_here/

it's actually pretty refreshing to have so many things open to play with now.

What a surprise. Investing in an incredibly saturated genre with a game that's major claim to any difference is "different camera angle" made Hi-Rez hemorrhage money, so now they're trying to claw their dignity back by appealing to the very people they left behind when they decided to start their boneheaded crusade to begin with. You can measure the violin I have for these shitstains with Planck lengths.

Yeah I'm bitter.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
They're atleast trying to fix things, unlike MWO's devs who've done nothing but piss everyone off with each new update since the Trannyverse debacle.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Wait what? Trannyverse? :psyduck:

HiRez is only trying to fix things because they know SMITE's days are numbered. They know that the MOBA market can only sustain two big games at once and that eventually they'll look like the gigantic idiots they are for abandoning the only unique first person shooter in years to chase a golden goose.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Colon Semicolon posted:

They're atleast trying to fix things, unlike MWO's devs who've done nothing but piss everyone off with each new update since the Trannyverse debacle.

No, I'm pretty sure they've done nothing but piss everyone off every update since the first one in open beta. Game got worse literally every patch.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Segmentation Fault posted:

HiRez is only trying to fix things because they know SMITE's days are numbered. They know that the MOBA market can only sustain two big games at once and that eventually they'll look like the gigantic idiots they are for abandoning the only unique first person shooter in years to chase a golden goose.

smite is actually incredibly successful and they even have financial backing from a big chinese company these days. chances are things will only go up for them now that they're on steam as well, which will draw in plenty of curious players. honestly, smite is probably the biggest dota clone out there behind dota and league, helped along by the fact that it's marginally different enough to be a new experience.

like, i get that it was super dumb of them to drop tribes earlier like they did, but they're working on it now because they don't have to worry about money that much anymore and they probably have more free time to try and fix one of their big mistakes since they have a fun core game that just needs a decent enough revamp, which is what they're attempting.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Transverse was a Star Citizen knockoff they tried to push and it failed horribly and torpedoed the remaining shred of good will they potentially had.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

smite is actually incredibly successful and they even have financial backing from a big chinese company these days. chances are things will only go up for them now that they're on steam as well, which will draw in plenty of curious players. honestly, smite is probably the biggest dota clone out there behind dota and league, helped along by the fact that it's marginally different enough to be a new experience.

like, i get that it was super dumb of them to drop tribes earlier like they did, but they're working on it now because they don't have to worry about money that much anymore and they probably have more free time to try and fix one of their big mistakes since they have a fun core game that just needs a decent enough revamp, which is what they're attempting.

Translation: SMITE's moving to Steam in order to scoop up any remaining customers they can, who will go back to League and DOTA in two months time simply because SMITE is not those games. Their "big chinese company" will soon either buy them out or drop them completely when SMITE dies off. Tribes: Ascend is a delusion of a last hope they have of any financial independence based on a belief that the core group of long-burned Tribes fans will give them any quarter.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm posting one of the most important segments from the patch notes to highlight that they're actually attempting a really significant revamp, because anything less probably wouldn't have interested players as much. other good things of note: there's no more leveling of perks/items/whatever. it's all lumped in from the get-go, so there's no more discrepancies between newer players and older players barring actual skill. ALSO, most of the hitscan weapons have been made not-hitscan. mostly the pistols. i assume sniper rifles still are, which is fine by me, because anyone who can headshot a crazed gnat with a jetpack probably earned it. anyways, playing around with these changes has reminded me why i enjoyed the game so much and it's nice to have so many things available from the start.

the tribes public test server patch thing posted:

Class Changes

“With these class changes we are bringing full build customization to Tribes:Ascend. We know this will leave some weapons statistically non-viable, or lead to some ‘broken’ builds. These issues will be addressed in a future PTS balance patch. A main focus of this test is to identify the key balance issues created by this transition.”
All classes have been condensed to three choices; Light, Medium, and Heavy

Medium armor may now carry 3 weapons.
Heavy armor may now carry 4 weapons.
All weapon, armor, and perk upgrades have been removed from the game and are now included in the base stats.
Classes now have 9 loadouts
All loadouts are free.

Removed Primary and Secondary weapon equip restrictions.
Added a weapon class system to limit equipping of similar weapons in all weapon slots.

Added weapon classes:

“The weapon class system is to encourage well rounded builds by adding more weapon slots, but restricting like weapons from being equipped. This will allow more classic build combos like Disk + Chain + 1”
Automatics
Launchers
Rockets
Shotguns
Sidearms
Sniper Rifles
Spinfusors
Utility

Default items available under the old class system are now free.

“All original paid base class loadouts are now free. All roles are now available to free players from the beginning.”
Light

BXT1 Rifle
Claymores
Drop Jammer
Nova Blaster
Rhino SMG
SN7
Stealth Pack
Sticky Grenade

Medium

Arx Buster
EMP Grenade
Light Turret
NJ4 SMG
Repair Tool
Shield Pack
TCNG
TCN4 SMG

Heavy

Automatic Shotgun
Chaingun
Energy Pack (Brute)
Forcefield
Grenade
Heavy Spinfusor
Saber Launcher
Spike Grenade

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm poking around with Xash3D and while it seems to work, I'm still not quite seeing why I should be using it. The lighting isn't as good as in the regular version, and I'm sure there's some way to fix that but the menus are pretty barebones and I can't seem to find any information on where to mess around with stuff. It's neat though, I wish there were more people doing engine recreations like this for other games that don't have their source codes released, like Blood, or Dark Forces 2, or Chasm.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i'm posting one of the most important segments from the patch notes to highlight that they're actually attempting a really significant revamp, because anything less probably wouldn't have interested players as much. other good things of note: there's no more leveling of perks/items/whatever. it's all lumped in from the get-go, so there's no more discrepancies between newer players and older players barring actual skill. ALSO, most of the hitscan weapons have been made not-hitscan. mostly the pistols. i assume sniper rifles still are, which is fine by me, because anyone who can headshot a crazed gnat with a jetpack probably earned it. anyways, playing around with these changes has reminded me why i enjoyed the game so much and it's nice to have so many things available from the start.

They could literally make Tribes 2 HD at this point, it doesn't loving matter.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Translation: SMITE's moving to Steam in order to scoop up any remaining customers they can, who will go back to League and DOTA in two months time simply because SMITE is not those games. Their "big chinese company" will soon either buy them out or drop them completely when SMITE dies off. Tribes: Ascend is a delusion of a last hope they have of any financial independence based on a belief that the core group of long-burned Tribes fans will give them any quarter.

They could literally make Tribes 2 HD at this point, it doesn't loving matter.

:chloe:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I am beyond salt at this point regarding HiRez. I don't give two fucks. I'm mad, deal with it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

lmao you're the whiniest piece of poo poo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jia posted:

lmao you're the whiniest piece of poo poo

IDK, the guy mad enough about spaceships to call something "trannyverse" could probably fight him for that title. So many entitled whining "gamers" without any actual issues.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Arivia posted:

IDK, the guy mad enough about spaceships to call something "trannyverse" could probably fight him for that title. So many entitled whining "gamers" without any actual issues.

i actually did a google search to see if some mwo dev said some dumb poo poo, but nah, it's just edgy kids trying to out-cut each other when yelling about how much their game of choice is ruined

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Arivia posted:

you cried on twitter over a misinterpreted joke

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

you cried on twitter over a misinterpreted joke

You are melting down over a moderately popular MOBA.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Alain Post posted:

You are melting down over a moderately popular MOBA.

i actually doublechecked just to remind myself, and hi-rez has financial backing from Tencent, which is literally one of the biggest internet companies in the world. they're not even remotely hurting for money.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
REEL TALK: Not sure if intentional, but this weapon doesn't work with this enemy:

Rockets just fly straight through them!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

REEL TALK: Not sure if intentional, but this weapon doesn't work with this enemy:

Rockets just fly straight through them!
That weapon's rockets pass through all enemies, bouncing off the map, until it explodes about a second after firing. Takes a little bit to get used to, but the explosion can do a lot of damage with the right timing/distance down.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

catlord posted:

I'm poking around with Xash3D and while it seems to work, I'm still not quite seeing why I should be using it. The lighting isn't as good as in the regular version, and I'm sure there's some way to fix that but the menus are pretty barebones and I can't seem to find any information on where to mess around with stuff. It's neat though, I wish there were more people doing engine recreations like this for other games that don't have their source codes released, like Blood, or Dark Forces 2, or Chasm.

There is no documentation as far as I can tell.

It's made mostly for those really bad single player mods that rely on the old pre-Steam GoldSrc engine for things. It's sometimes easier to just use Xash3D instead of mucking around with Steam if the mod hasn't been touched since the invention of Steam.

http://www.moddb.com/engines/xash3d-engine/features/list-of-tested-half-life-singleplayer-mods

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hey, so I'm trying to take screenshots of stuff in Reelism, and I set up a key to do it which seems to be working (since the game has a very small pause whenever I press the key), but where do the screenshots actually go? I'm on OS X, if that helps.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arivia posted:

So many entitled whining "gamers" without any actual issues.

:ironicat:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just this issue. Check that you're using FMOD Ex instead of OpenAL. At some point the devbuilds changed the FMOD version they were compiled with, so if you had kept the old fmodex.dll around and only extracted the newer gzdoom.exe/pk3, then fmod stopped working and gzdoom defaulted to using OpenAL.

That did it, thanks! I'm not sure why (if?) I changed it to OpenAL at all, but setting it back to FMOD Ex fixed it!

Rocket Pan posted:

I never got the chance to fine tune shuffle mode for this release. Has anybody had any issues with it, or is it running smoothly?

I made it to level 18 in the Astrolab without any noticeable issues. Then I ate a Cultist's grenade and was turned into chunky salsa. How many levels should it take to go through Shuffle mode anyway?

Now for a Quake question. Is this video from a map pack of sorts? I'd be interested in playing through all the original maps with a facelift.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z0vInGCjbE

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

That did it, thanks! I'm not sure why (if?) I changed it to OpenAL at all, but setting it back to FMOD Ex fixed it!

I made it to level 18 in the Astrolab without any noticeable issues. Then I ate a Cultist's grenade and was turned into chunky salsa. How many levels should it take to go through Shuffle mode anyway?

Now for a Quake question. Is this video from a map pack of sorts? I'd be interested in playing through all the original maps with a facelift.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z0vInGCjbE

That's The Slipgate Duplex, a remake of E1M1. It looks much better than the original map, but the gameplay is the same except for a new (but ultimatly pointless) side-route underneath the secret Super Shotgun room.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

18. You were almost there.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, so I'm trying to take screenshots of stuff in Reelism, and I set up a key to do it which seems to be working (since the game has a very small pause whenever I press the key), but where do the screenshots actually go? I'm on OS X, if that helps.
On Windows, at least, it's the same folder as the executable.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

closeted republican posted:

That's The Slipgate Duplex, a remake of E1M1. It looks much better than the original map, but the gameplay is the same except for a new (but ultimatly pointless) side-route underneath the secret Super Shotgun room.

It's just the one map? Dang, I was excited for a second. I want to play through the original game again but with a sort of different flavor. Maybe I'll try DarkPlaces or the N64 soundtrack, if I can find it anywhere.

Shadow Hog posted:

18. You were almost there.

Aw god dammit. There was like 3 seconds left to the round! :argh:

By the way Hog, I'm digging the stadium level. Reelism needed a stage like that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

or the N64 soundtrack, if I can find it anywhere
https://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I knew about Hodges' BandCamp page, but I just figured you weren't able to download them. Looks like I was wrong!

I'll never forget trying to get through Gloom Keep late at night as a scared child
https://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/track/ghosts-in-my-head-level-gloom-keep