Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hulk Smash! posted:

I hope you also have the Spiff legacy.

Maybe he's polish, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'm running through the Consular story, and while I can see why some people might have thought it somewhat uninspiring, I am really enjoying playing a story where pretty much every problem can be solved with liberal application of Force Persuade.
You want to kill me? [Force Persuade] Nah, you don't want to kill me.
You want to keep secrets? [Force Persuade] You want to tell me your secrets.

You want to have a big planet-wide civil war? [Force Persuade] gently caress it dude, Lets go bowling.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Reveilled posted:

I'm running through the Consular story, and while I can see why some people might have thought it somewhat uninspiring, I am really enjoying playing a story where pretty much every problem can be solved with liberal application of Force Persuade.
You want to kill me? [Force Persuade] Nah, you don't want to kill me.
You want to keep secrets? [Force Persuade] You want to tell me your secrets.

You want to have a big planet-wide civil war? [Force Persuade] gently caress it dude, Lets go bowling.

This is something I'd love to see them explore, because really, how is Force Persuade moral? I mean in some cases you can argue that you are technically saving someone's life by not letting them fight you, but it really is horrifying if you think about. If you're not strong enough in the Force there are these people that can go around mind controlling whoever. And they are the good guys! If they built the story up where if you use it alot, then it all unravels later on as you move out of range or the control wears off or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

This is something I'd love to see them explore, because really, how is Force Persuade moral? I mean in some cases you can argue that you are technically saving someone's life by not letting them fight you, but it really is horrifying if you think about. If you're not strong enough in the Force there are these people that can go around mind controlling whoever. And they are the good guys!

Tharan Cedrax brings up exactly this when he bitches at you every time you use it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You get dark side points every time you use it, don't you?

I know for my Guardian you get them the few times it was an option.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

You get dark side points every time you use it, don't you?

I know for my Guardian you get them the few times it was an option.

It is usually neutral actually. Maybe it just comes in in the Knight story but I know as Consular and War its neutral.

Cythereal posted:

Tharan Cedrax brings up exactly this when he bitches at you every time you use it.

Yeah it makes him interesting beyond being a third rate Dr. Krieger.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Knights get the option only a couple of times, so it's probably just the place it's being used that it's the bad choice.

Inquisitors get to do it all the time. It's great.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

Yeah it makes him interesting beyond being a third rate Dr. Krieger.

Tharan is a scientist living in the basement of a space wizard's ship who gets frustrated whenever the space wizard does magic.

I don't like the Consular companions much. Not until Iresso do you get a companion who typically approves of a Jedi acting like a Jedi.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Tharan is a scientist living in the basement of a space wizard's ship who gets frustrated whenever the space wizard does magic.

I don't like the Consular companions much. Not until Iresso do you get a companion who typically approves of a Jedi acting like a Jedi.

It seems that rather he gets upset when you mind control people. I've never had him have any issues beyond that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

It seems that rather he gets upset when you mind control people. I've never had him have any issues beyond that.

I lost approval with him on my Consular whenever I picked options expressing a mystical view of the world, talking about the Force in general, and otherwise being a Jedi.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Eimi posted:

This is something I'd love to see them explore, because really, how is Force Persuade moral? I mean in some cases you can argue that you are technically saving someone's life by not letting them fight you, but it really is horrifying if you think about. If you're not strong enough in the Force there are these people that can go around mind controlling whoever. And they are the good guys! If they built the story up where if you use it alot, then it all unravels later on as you move out of range or the control wears off or something.

From what I recall isn't it more that Force Persuade doesn't work if you have a strong will, rather than your strength in the force? I see Force Persuasion as a sort of Milgram Experiment writ large, not so much strong mind control but reflective of some natural submissiveness to authority that's baked into our brains. Which makes sense because I think it's generally true that members of species not part of the Republic or Empire are less susceptible to Force Persuasion than others, which I think would make sense given that the Jedi and Sith are both massive authority figures in their societies, making it easy for them to tap,into the bit of people's brain that says "this person is in charge". Not that I'm saying its a moral action in itself, but more that it's the least fantastical of all force powers, which is scary in itself.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It doesn't work on the weird bug guy who owns Anakin in episode 1.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

It doesn't work on the weird bug guy who owns Anakin in episode 1.

Obviously you need to give the incredibly ridiculous Space-Jew race some kind of upsell.

Also, murdering everything that moves as a Marauder is amazing. Very keen to try out the equivalent Knight arc just to see how you manage to balance being a class designed to just stab things with your laser sword vs I'm-a-good-guy-non-conflict-is-my-jam.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

FelixReynolds posted:

Obviously you need to give the incredibly ridiculous Space-Jew race some kind of upsell.

Also, murdering everything that moves as a Marauder is amazing. Very keen to try out the equivalent Knight arc just to see how you manage to balance being a class designed to just stab things with your laser sword vs I'm-a-good-guy-non-conflict-is-my-jam.

Spoiler, Knight is the worst story in the game. And if you go lightside, Warrior does the mystical exploration of the Force FAR better than Knight ever does too. :v:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Eimi posted:

Spoiler, Knight is the worst story in the game. And if you go lightside, Warrior does the mystical exploration of the Force FAR better than Knight ever does too. :v:

And here's where opinions kick in, I actually really enjoyed Knight. :D

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Medullah posted:

And here's where opinions kick in, I actually really enjoyed Knight. :D

I mean when I played it first I originally thought it was okay, the first act is at least exciting. But there are a ton of tiny points that add up to make it just feel bad overall, and granted I may score it more negatively than most because of the voice actress on top of it all.

But for me the small details like how you never really spend time in training, are built up as super awesome and destined right away, the end of act 2 being what it is, the companions being rather mediocre, the fact that it doesn't really deal with mystical Force stuff at all...that's why I didn't like.

If you earned your place more, the act 2 ending was instead changed to be act 2, and you learned some stuff about the Force I'd like it a lot better. Oh and the enemies were more personal. As is the final boss is just I am doing this because I am good guy rather than anything else.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 13, 2015

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The bit I thought was particularly ridiculous in the Knight storyline, and it's present here in the Consular line, is being expected to be invested in the fate of my master. The mere presence of lines like "master whatshisname taught me so much" felt bizarre when I'm pretty sure we met three times for less than three minutes each time. It's been one week since I did the Knight story and I already don't remember anything about him.

I wish they'd gone down the route of just having your master chill on your ship meditating and giving advice via holo and at the end of each planet or something in Act 1.

The sith lines did better at developing the master apprentice thing.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Reveilled posted:

The bit I thought was particularly ridiculous in the Knight storyline, and it's present here in the Consular line, is being expected to be invested in the fate of my master. The mere presence of lines like "master whatshisname taught me so much" felt bizarre when I'm pretty sure we met three times for less than three minutes each time. It's been one week since I did the Knight story and I already don't remember anything about him.

I wish they'd gone down the route of just having your master chill on your ship meditating and giving advice via holo and at the end of each planet or something in Act 1.

The sith lines did better at developing the master apprentice thing.

This is totally fair. Even having him show up or fight with you on Tython would have helped.

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Eimi posted:

Is there a penalty for going lightside as a Sith? So far I've been having fun being a total jerk to everyone I meet (not to mention executing tons of folks) with all my dark side options, because it feels like a sort of cop out to run with the "bad guys" if I'm just going to act like a good guy anyway. But if there really isn't a gameplay objection I might start approaching everything in a completely objective way and seeing what happens, because at times it does seem like the appropriate thing to do.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

FelixReynolds posted:

Is there a penalty for going lightside as a Sith? So far I've been having fun being a total jerk to everyone I meet (not to mention executing tons of folks) with all my dark side options, because it feels like a sort of cop out to run with the "bad guys" if I'm just going to act like a good guy anyway. But if there really isn't a gameplay objection I might start approaching everything in a completely objective way and seeing what happens, because at times it does seem like the appropriate thing to do.

Nope. From a game mechanics issue, there really isn't a big difference between being Light Side and Dark Side. There's a few pieces of cosmetic gear and a speeder you can get if you max out one way or the other, plus some titles.

Really about the worst that can happen is you can lose some affection with your companion, and some companions really don't care about LS/DS as long as it furthers their goals. Worst case scenario, if you say something that really pisses off a companion, you can always just hit esc, then restart the conversation, maybe swap in a companion that agrees with your choice.

Generally speaking, on the Imperial side, Warriors and Bounty Hunters are nudged at the start of the game to go LS by their companions, while inquisitors and agents are nudged to go DS. That doesn't mean you have to go one way or the other, just that your starter companions generally lean one way on when it comes to DS/LS choices.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 13, 2015

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

FelixReynolds posted:

No, in fact it leads to some entertaining outcomes. Sith Warriors and Inquisitors get a few moments where they get to freak out the Jedi they meet by not being Dark, and in some cases you get to watch them tie themselves in knots to justify attacking you because they usually just rely on sith attacking them to provide a justification.

Imperial Agents' lightside options often involve taking people prisoner or soft-touch espionage, which leads to routine compliments from your handlers because it's a nice change to have an agent who thinks about the bigger picture. Lightsided Agents who fulfill certain conditions even (ending spoilers) Get the option to become Republic double agents.

With regards to the Sith, I have the most fun strinking a balance between light and dark, being on the side of the "Bad Guys" gives you carte blanche to be as nasty as you like to the villains, and because of the nature of their stories pretty much everyone is another villain. My Inquisitor basically followed a philosophy of "gently caress the Sith, gently caress the Empire" which led to a mixture of dark and light choices as I spared the Empire's enemies and ruthlessly murdered everyone I came across carrying a red lightsaber.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 13, 2015

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

For TNG, anyone who wants to try Xenoanalyst HM we'll try and get a group together around 8pm EDT. You need Newcomer rep with the Gree to get to it.

Oedzi, if you read this, any chance you can give Admirals guild ship summon ability? We can repay the credits it costs to use it but makes things like this and the occasional TC easier since half the time is spent just waiting for everyone to get there.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's weird you don't ever get a chance to just shoot the poo poo with npcs or even any of your companions, I end up having to wiki this stuff because I can't remember who these people Vette is talking about are from a single conversation a month ago. (not that it really matters, you know what I mean)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

FelixReynolds posted:

No, and if you go DS as a Sith Warrior, you're actually getting a worse storyline. Much worse.

Light Sided Sith Inquisitor is also better than Dark Side, and will drastically affect your opinion of whether Ashara was a good companion or not... LS SI/Ashara conversations are literally some of the best in the game since they're ALL about examining what it means to be Sith or Jedi, what Light or Dark really are, and what the Force truly is. They're actually better and more interesting deconstructionist conversations than anything you find in KotOR2, specifically because your LS SI has this "we're all just regular beings like anyone else" view which solidifies the discussion rather than your character being some sort of magical Force Jesus that can bless people with Force powers and makes the entire thing loving retarded.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Couple of fun runs at Xenoanalyst tonight, a couple goons got to experience it for the first time in both SM and HM.

I'll be on tomorrow around 7pm EDT and gather interest in one final run for those that are grinding rep (remember, gotta have newcomer).

After that, for the usual people that raid we can try and get our Temple of Sacrifice run done for the week.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Hey whoever plays Adonnta, you should put that havoc squad belt up on the GTN if you want; I managed to snag a criminally underpriced one today.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So how the hell do I get Esstran Rep nowadays? The Packs that gave it aren't on sale anymore.

Limited time poo poo is the most loving retarded thing ever in games like this.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Leif. posted:

Hey whoever plays Adonnta, you should put that havoc squad belt up on the GTN if you want; I managed to snag a criminally underpriced one today.

On an unrelated note, I saw you pulled a ton of stuff out of the guild bank and listed it on the GTN. I don't mind people taking things if they need them, but if you're going to take things from the guild bank just to sell them, make sure you're depositing the proceeds back in.

We don't have a lot of cash in the guild bank and we have zero income so it's dwindling down when we raid and allow guild funds to be used for repairs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fuzz posted:

So how the hell do I get Esstran Rep nowadays? The Packs that gave it aren't on sale anymore.

You don't.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Pack rep is an incentive to buy the packs (off GTN or cartel market) rather than just buying the items you want. By putting up some nice items at the reputation vendors, it creates a demand for the packs that might not have been there previously, this people will buy more packs. You may both like it, but it's a business model that brings money into the game without creating a "pay to win" model like a lot of subscription games with cash markets.

The packs aren't available now, but they'll eventually pop back up. And that's a rep I recommend investing in because there is some genuinely cool items. Along with Binary Star Reality, which has some of the coolest looking light sabers.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I thought Esstran rep was in the Explorer packs, no?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

I thought Esstran rep was in the Explorer packs, no?

Oh yeah you're right. So even better, the packs ARE available. But a hypercrate or two.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Here's where to get reputation from packs:

From here: http://tor-fashion.com/cartel-market-and-reputation-guide/

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

On an unrelated note, I saw you pulled a ton of stuff out of the guild bank and listed it on the GTN. I don't mind people taking things if they need them, but if you're going to take things from the guild bank just to sell them, make sure you're depositing the proceeds back in.

We don't have a lot of cash in the guild bank and we have zero income so it's dwindling down when we raid and allow guild funds to be used for repairs.

Can we still use guild funds to buy crate-o-matics though

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Medullah posted:

Oh yeah you're right. So even better, the packs ARE available. But a hypercrate or two.

I still don't get how you guys but all these hyper crates... You get 550 CC a month with a sub, and the crates are 5000+ coins. Am I just missing something, or are all of you just trolling Fleet with your referral links or whatever, I don't get how the economy works in this game... unless you're all shelling out actual money for coins? Or are you dropping the 12 million on GTN? How the hell is that sustainable?

I feel like there's three classes of players in this game... F2P (:laffo:), regular subs (me), and then subs that have traversed into this crazy wealthy territory where they're either whales that are dropping hundreds on this game or are just in this weird cycle of credit laundering for millions of credits that no one else can get into.

Am I poo poo out of luck if I don't have hours and hours to play this game every day? It took me a couple weeks to scrounge up enough cash to buy an 1.6 million GTN thing.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 14, 2015

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fuzz posted:

I still don't get how you guys but all these hyper crates... You get 550 CC a month with a sub, and the crates are 5000+ coins. Am I just missing something, or are all of you just trolling Fleet with your referral links or whatever, I don't get how the economy works in this game... unless you're all shelling out actual money for coins? Or are you dropping the 12 million on GTN? How the hell is that sustainable?

I feel like there's three classes of players in this game... F2P (:laffo:), regular subs (me), and then subs that have traversed into this crazy wealthy territory where they're either whales that are dropping hundreds on this game or are just in this weird cycle of credit laundering for millions of credits that no one else can get into.

Am I poo poo out of luck if I don't have hours and hours to play this game every day?

They all have assloads of credits from selling mats/running dailies religiously/whoring themselves out for space cash.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alter Ego posted:

They all have assloads of credits from selling mats/running dailies religiously/whoring themselves out for space cash.

Just lol if you haven't earned billions on the ERP circuit

Fat hennimore's a hot commodity

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 14, 2015

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

drat. That's what I figured. An well.

Really wanted Esstran and Binary rep, the great they sell looks awesome as hell. Will they ever get shot machines like Contraband? Also how do you get Contraband Cartel Market Certificates, since their drop rate on the slots is garbage?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Fuzz posted:

drat. That's what I figured. An well.

Really wanted Esstran and Binary rep, the great they sell looks awesome as hell. Will they ever get shot machines like Contraband? Also how do you get Contraband Cartel Market Certificates, since their drop rate on the slots is garbage?

Remember to hold onto the semi-cool looking armor sets from the packs you've got. 6 months from now you'll be able to sell them for a boatload of cash on the GTN, because the packs that had them will be long gone. One day that Orbalisk armor will be worth a bundle, I know it :argh:

I have a tank speeder and a hutt skiff I'm saving for just that purpose.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

Remember to hold onto the semi-cool looking armor sets from the packs you've got. 6 months from now you'll be able to sell them for a boatload of cash on the GTN, because the packs that had them will be long gone.

I have a tank speeder and a hutt skiff I'm saving for just that purpose.

To date I've only had enough to buy like 3 regular packs, and I got crazy lucky and got the jetpack, which is what I wanted, so I used it... :smith:

Nobody seems to want my cool 50s speeder, and it's only worth like 500k anyway.

• Locked thread