Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
it was me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I think these idiots think that S.A. tries to be some kind of... elite space on the internet looking down on everyone else?

What they seem to fail to realise is that everyone does that to everyone else on S.A.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Heresiarch posted:

Believing that an obscure and short-lived political subforum can enact such sweeping cultural changes must actually be somewhat comforting to this person, because it gives him hope that his own obscure clique may one day achieve relevance.
An idea brought to you from the school of thought that also came up with Cultural Marxism.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cingulate posted:

An idea brought to you from the school of thought that also came up with Cultural Marxism.
I think it's more endless rereadings of Ender's Game.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
It's another manifestation of "Guys, using humor on me is super unfair, stop it, take me seriously :negative:"

See also: Crocodile Humor

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Tunney is the one who tried to take over Occupy or something, isn't she? Or I am getting my horrible people confused?

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Heresiarch posted:

Tunney is the one who tried to take over Occupy or something, isn't she? Or I am getting my horrible people confused?

No, I think she was heavily involved with the social media aspect of the movement.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Samovar posted:

I think these idiots think that S.A. tries to be some kind of... elite space on the internet looking down on everyone else?

What they seem to fail to realise is that everyone does that to everyone else on S.A.

Well, it takes :10bux: to join this here forum. We don't just let anyone old riffraff in. You need to be the holder of a major credit card. We'rd like the loving Freemasons and Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn of the internet.

And if you get banned for being a racist, which we will call you to your face, it costs another :10bux:....

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The funny thing about SA causing tumblrites is, as far as I can tell, most of tumblr seems to know SA as "the forum that put up paywalls so we couldn't read the Dangan Ronpa translation for free anymore, THOSE ASSHOLES!!!" and nothing else.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Puppy Time posted:

The funny thing about SA causing tumblrites is, as far as I can tell, most of tumblr seems to know SA as "the forum that put up paywalls so we couldn't read the Dangan Ronpa translation for free anymore, THOSE ASSHOLES!!!" and nothing else.

I am entirely unconvinced they know of or care about SA as anything at all, except maybe the site that annoying people keep blaming as the source of the meddling kids that led to their downfall.

brazenautomaton is pretty amazing though. A deeply sad MRA Gamergater LessWronger who is utterly convinced that social justice warriors led to his life declining so precipitously that the only place down from here he could possibly go would involve spending :10bux:.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

When you type in something awful tumblr it's only about DanganRonpa. One hand I do appreciate that Onenronen was able to show off these games to an audience that probably would have never noticed. On the other hand the threads were pretty much getting weird with witchhunts every other day.

And on the mutant hand, SA is only known for that on tumblr.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
To Tumblr, we are the ivory tower translators of obscure video games.

To EVE online, we are the mindless destroyers of economies.

To NRx bloggers, we are the source of the terrifying social justice warrior.

To each other, we are hateful pricks who coughed up ten bucks to vocally dislike things on a perpetually "dying" half-coded forum run by evil clowns who occasionally request that we gently caress pieces of lab equipment in order to not be forced to leave.

It's kind of comforting that other places think we're competent.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Heresiarch posted:

She used to run the occupy Twitter, and then one day started revealing herself and gradually showcasing more and more insane views. Turns out she didn't want the financial 1% to rule the 99%, but she fully advocates the 'intellectual 1%' (read: programmers) ruling everyone else and is a massive technofascist and gamergater. She's also the one who started the petition to make the Google CEO the ruler of America.

SA basically only gets attention now when we hurt someone's feelings, and then of course they don't want to admit that a mean post on a single thread of a dying forum upset them so badly they had to post about it, so they make SA out to be some kind of uber powerful cabal of trolls.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Annointed posted:

When you type in something awful tumblr it's only about DanganRonpa. One hand I do appreciate that Onenronen was able to show off these games to an audience that probably would have never noticed. On the other hand the threads were pretty much getting weird with witchhunts every other day.

And on the mutant hand, SA is only known for that on tumblr.

On the left foot, http://intriguingly.moe/ .

But it is endlessly entertaining that anyone thinks there's any sort of unity in SA, from a subforum to another or even from thread to thread anyone will find another kind of posting going on.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
John Goon's body like a'mouldin in his grave but his soul goes trollin' on.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Some people must know us from that slenderman kill last year.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

divabot posted:

Correction! Anissimov didn't make that graphic. He found it on /pol/. In fact, what he posted was the second version, with the bit all about Jews removed and the colours changed to green on black.

Milo is not really DE, he's just a ghastly oval office.

wrap it up folks we’ve figured out who’s behind the skeleton warriors and it is
as always
ggGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOONSSSSSSSSSSSS

https://twitter.com/moonmetropolis

why are so many anime nerds insufferable conservatives/internet libertarians?

BornAPoorBlkChild has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Sep 13, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

SIGSEGV posted:

On the left foot, http://intriguingly.moe/ .

But it is endlessly entertaining that anyone thinks there's any sort of unity in SA, from a subforum to another or even from thread to thread anyone will find another kind of posting going on.

Yeah pretty much. Just like how 4chan boards can't stand each other. We are dying so often we're practically liches by now.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone reading this thread probably thinks we're just covering our asses

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Race Realists posted:

why are so many anime nerds insufferable conservatives/internet libertarians?

Same reason anyone becomes a libertarian. They have enough to live well but want more and believe they'd have it if those fuckers stopped stealing their poo poo.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Rationalwiki gets this too. I saw someone attempt to prove they were insane radical Marxists because they have an article on Alan Sokal that politely notes criticisms of his hoax, and an article on Zizek that is neutral by virtue of being a stub.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

divabot posted:

Milo is not really DE, he's just a ghastly oval office.
Yeah he's just good friends with a bunch of the alt-right and shares their (and DE's) outlook that "The Left/The Cathedral" has a stranglehold on culture

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Rationalwiki gets this too. I saw someone attempt to prove they were insane radical Marxists because they have an article on Alan Sokal that politely notes criticisms of his hoax, and an article on Zizek that is neutral by virtue of being a stub.

One of the board members of the nonprofit that owns RationalWiki is a conservative (he believes that sociology and feminism are offshoots of Marxism and is such an aggressive red-baiter that we have a template just to mock him. He's also a neopagan. I'm stunned he's not a full-blown Nrx at this point). Another one of its most respected community members is the only person who could possibly be described as post-reactionary.

Assuming you have a thick skin (an unspoken requirement for membership that I would very much like to go away — do you know how hard it is to keep new users when older users keep piling on them after they say one stupid thing?), aren't a pedophile, and don't try to shove crackpottery into articles, RationalWiki will have you.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DarklyDreaming posted:

Same reason anyone becomes a libertarian. They have enough to live well but want more and believe they'd have it if those fuckers stopped stealing their poo poo.

Either that or they're someone unequipped to live in the modern world or screwed by the system enough that they think removing the system would make them the millionaires they clearly deserve to be. In poverty but absolutely believes in the free market is a common thread int bitcoiners, and I don't see why it would be different amongst other types of libertarian.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Curvature of Earth posted:

One of the board members of the nonprofit that owns RationalWiki is a conservative (he believes that sociology and feminism are offshoots of Marxism and is such an aggressive red-baiter that we have a template just to mock him. He's also a neopagan. I'm stunned he's not a full-blown Nrx at this point). Another one of its most respected community members is the only person who could possibly be described as post-reactionary.

Assuming you have a thick skin (an unspoken requirement for membership that I would very much like to go away — do you know how hard it is to keep new users when older users keep piling on them after they say one stupid thing?), aren't a pedophile, and don't try to shove crackpottery into articles, RationalWiki will have you.

That's all true, which just makes the fact that people think it's a bluepill cultural marxist site funnier.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Jack Gladney posted:

Some people must know us from that slenderman kill last year.

Whoa, hey now. That's attempted Slenderman kill, mister.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

christ is anyone in this thread not from rw

and WHY DID YOU NOT TELL ME BEFORE THIS

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

divabot posted:

I'm not, but it's a pretty cool site.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

DarklyDreaming posted:

There's also a streak of traditional conservatism in fandom in general, anime or whatever. I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with the source materials, it's just that these things can appeal to certain people regardless of their base political views. The thing is, goons hate anime (or are supposed to anyway) so I think that it's a red flag for us in a way that (say) a comic book or fantasy avatar isn't. "I already dislike this person for being a libertarian shitheel and now here's something else I dislike about him."

More importantly, I think, we (the goons who post in this thread) notice the conservatives and the libertarians with anime (or whatever) twitter avatars more than we notice the huge swathes of apolitical and lefty people with the same kind of thing, because we're not looking at the apoliticals or lefties for mock material. So regardless of what's getting flagged, we end up thinking "wow there's a lot of libertarians who are [whatever] fans" instead of "wow there's a lot of [whatever] fans on twitter", when I think it's really the latter.

I don't know if this strictly speaking confirmation bias, I think there's a better term for this particular kind of unintended cherry-picking but I'm tired and not firing on all cylinders so I'm sure somebody else can name it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It's a form of confirmation bias, I guess.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

I just remembered the term, it's sampling bias.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Heresiarch posted:

I don't know if this strictly speaking confirmation bias, I think there's a better term for this particular kind of unintended cherry-picking but I'm tired and not firing on all cylinders so I'm sure somebody else can name it.

I've seen the same thing from right-wing people, talking about "anime marxists." I think it's just that anime-avatars tend to be brightly colored and stick out visually.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What usually makes this funnier in my opinion is that a lot of the animes or cartoons or whatever that these guys watch include generally pro-social messages and morals; while "don't be racist" and "friends are important" are hardly politically left positions, they become very funny when contrasted with various doctrinaire libertarian/far right positions.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Smerdis of Tlön is useful when you ask him about how Moldbug misinterpreted or selectively quoted particular old texts.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Merdifex posted:

Smerdis of Tlön is useful when you ask him about how Moldbug misinterpreted or selectively quoted particular old texts.

Smerdis is great. I know him from the goth scene going back 20 years. He is the sort of person who thinks anything after 1700 is dangerously modern. If anyone was going to fall for NRx it would have been him, and it wasn't, he saw right through them. I can forgive his crusty old geezerness in other respects.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Hate Fibration posted:

I've seen the same thing from right-wing people, talking about "anime marxists." I think it's just that anime-avatars tend to be brightly colored and stick out visually.

Anime marxist as I've known it tends to refer to the Stalinist/Maoists from LF who also for some reason love anime.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

I''m not, I was just sharing a funny thing I saw

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

To Tumblr, we are the ivory tower translators of obscure video games.

To EVE online, we are the mindless destroyers of economies.

To NRx bloggers, we are the source of the terrifying social justice warrior.

To each other, we are hateful pricks who coughed up ten bucks to vocally dislike things on a perpetually "dying" half-coded forum run by evil clowns who occasionally request that we gently caress pieces of lab equipment in order to not be forced to leave.

It's kind of comforting that other places think we're competent.
TBH I'm here because of a weakly asserted policy of political correctness. It's just easier to spend time on a board where you can roughly assume only very few of the people reading and writing around you are fascists, unlike basically any other place ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

I''m not, I was just sharing a funny thing I saw

i am a dragon, you are now on rw

Cingulate posted:

TBH I'm here because of a weakly asserted policy of political correctness. It's just easier to spend time on a board where you can roughly assume only very few of the people reading and writing around you are fascists, unlike basically any other place ever.

of course we're fascists we say "oval office"