Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

ImpAtom posted:

It honestly explains a lot to me that people are literally unable to grasp the idea that there can be stories where a guy fighting the bad guys isn't a good guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Not being able to kill children is probably more because Konami didn't want their game banned in half of Europe, rather than any intrinsic moral statement that the game is making.

I understood it pretty clearly the first time Kaz told me not to kill the kids. But he didn't need to repeat it a hundred times.

"No ideology, no just cause... but save the kids, boss!"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Agoat posted:

I understood it pretty clearly the first time Kaz told me not to kill the kids. But he didn't need to repeat it a hundred times.

Considering his character through the rest of the game, I thought Kaz might actually want Venom to go through with killing them. Fairly effective fakeout IMO.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That disarmanent cutscene is interesting, it ties into both Metal Gear 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2 in a lot of ways. I'm more and more convinced that my story gripes for this game just wouldn't exist if it were shipped in an anywhere close to finished state.

Edit: Nevermind not worth it.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Sep 13, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Agoat posted:

Kaz may be an angry revenge-obsessed crazy person but even he thinks killing kids is hosed up.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I'm pretty sure Kaz said that he doesn't like being around kids because he grew up around people who chastised him for being childlike

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Kaz may be an angry revenge-obsessed crazy person but even he thinks killing kids is hosed up.

Right, but I don't need to be reminded every time I see a child soldier. I understood it very clearly the first mission I saw them in.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
snake, that's an enemy gunship

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Snake, hit the ground! Don't let that sniper get a bead on you.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Panzeh posted:

Snake, hit the ground! Don't let that sniper get a bead on you.

*rides around blaring Snake Eater while shooting a machinegun at everything*

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Continuity aside Big Boss nuclear disarming the world makes sense if his goal is endless worldwide conflict, he wants to get rid of the deterrence.

I kinda liked the child soldier stuff just because it was totally obvious poo poo was going to go down when he introduces Eli as a rival alpha to the other group, who as far as the game makes out accept their role as non-combatants (not that they have much choice).

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
But what if the sniper is a good...guy?? What is his goodness rating?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Nakar posted:

Given the "just another mission, right Boss?" monologue doesn't that sort of imply the "secret" ending is more or less "Venom disarms the world's nuclear weapon stockpiles so that the real Big Boss can slip in on the sly and steal all the material and rebuild them in secret?" :tinfoil:

It'd certainly give that hidden cutscene a darker hidden meaning, if that's how Big Boss got his hands on nukes.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

that's so funny it HAS to be canon

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

VarXX posted:

Yea, That cutscene is in the game, and theres more we haven't found apparently
https://twitter.com/popcicle/status/642887363677454337 Actual Konami Person

What cutscene was this talking about? Both links are now dead but it appears related to disarming a nuke? I've done that (I've 100%'d the game so I've done basically everything) but I saw nothing after it.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Aurain posted:

What cutscene was this talking about? Both links are now dead but it appears related to disarming a nuke? I've done that (I've 100%'d the game so I've done basically everything) but I saw nothing after it.

its also apparently related to peace day

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

snake, that's an enemy gunship

Boss, look out! The enemy sniper...

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Lmao. I just watched that first cutscene with Paz on the medical strut again and noticed that Ocelot and Miller don't walk up behind Snake, they literally appear out of thin air behind him.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Under the vegetable posted:

its also apparently related to peace day

What day is that supposed to be any ways?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Aurain posted:

Yeah they are taking them down. Note they left up the mission 51 stuff but the not cut monologue and this disarmament scene getting pulled means they are trying to save it for some event. Apparantly kojipro are still working till the end of the year so maybe we'll get this chapter 3 after all and this cutscene is part of some online event/peace day thing. They made a big deal of peace day in peace walker and it would fit. Hope beyond hope, the ride never ends!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Luminaflare posted:

What day is that supposed to be any ways?

Next monday, the 21st.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

Yeah they are taking them down. Note they left up the mission 51 stuff but the not cut monologue and this disarmament scene getting pulled means they are trying to save it for some event. Apparantly kojipro are still working till the end of the year so maybe we'll get this chapter 3 after all and this cutscene is part of some online event/peace day thing. They made a big deal of peace day in peace walker and it would fit. Hope beyond hope, the ride never ends!

It's a pretty big thing to the Paz tapes too, so maybe.

How strange though.
I don't like it when things are super hidden and obtuse about getting them. If it's hard to get, fine, but being obtuse about it is annoying.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Aurain posted:

It's a pretty big thing to the Paz tapes too, so maybe.

How strange though.
I don't like it when things are super hidden and obtuse about getting them. If it's hard to get, fine, but being obtuse about it is annoying.

Blame reddit and gaf or whoever, those that cracked mobydick studios and p.t hidden poo poo super fast, apparantly kojima didnt like how fast they all cracked those open and solved the mystery so he probably made it super obtuse here.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Blame reddit and gaf or whoever, those that cracked mobydick studios and p.t hidden poo poo super fast, apparantly kojima didnt like how fast they all cracked those open and solved the mystery so he probably made it super obtuse here.

It may have actually backfired because the common response I've seen is that we got what we're getting and anything else is wishful thinking. I could understand wanting to throw something in there that doesn't get datamined after a few days. Everything about this MGS has seemed so straightforward, it doesn't feel right. Of course, that could all be part of it (phantom pain something missing blah blah blah) but there's something still hidden in there, I think.

BurnBlackJay
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw2MfqlMelM WHAT THE HELL NEW CUTSCENE LEAK KAZ gets a backstory dlc?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

BurnBlackJay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw2MfqlMelM WHAT THE HELL NEW CUTSCENE LEAK KAZ gets a backstory dlc?

Huh, and it still doesn't explain what's wrong with his eyes. I think we'll see more and more of this as people start tearing through the code on the disc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think the deal with Kaz's eyes is that his eyesight's just a little hosed, rather than fully blind. He can clearly see, but maybe he just sees poorly now.

I'm really surprised that there's no tape/talk confirming when exactly Kaz lost his arm and leg. Soviet torture or Heli crash?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Aurain posted:

I think the deal with Kaz's eyes is that his eyesight's just a little hosed, rather than fully blind. He can clearly see, but maybe he just sees poorly now.

I'm really surprised that there's no tape/talk confirming when exactly Kaz lost his arm and leg. Soviet torture or Heli crash?

Now that I've watched that trailer again, you can see how they blind him. It's kind of subtle.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I feel like this is a situation similar to mgs2 where people thought that it couldn't possibly be the whole game since we didn't play as Snake and we never got to fully explore the big shell. But in the case of that game, what we saw is what we got.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Vikar Jerome posted:

Next monday, the 21st.

Ha, nice, that's my birthday.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
"He's coming too? Roger that", yes Kaz just like the other people i always fulton, thanks for making me rewind the plot tapes i was trying to listen to again

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Now that I've watched that trailer again, you can see how they blind him. It's kind of subtle.

what trailer

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I feel like this is a situation similar to mgs2 where people thought that it couldn't possibly be the whole game since we didn't play as Snake and we never got to fully explore the big shell. But in the case of that game, what we saw is what we got.

I've been thinking about it lately and there's many ways this game is like MGS2 including the demo/intro level where you actually play as snake before the game switches him out and the whole revelation that its supposed to be you that you're playing as all along.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I just still can't believe how much of a fuckhead Huey is in this game. Going with how he murdered Strangelove and created a new virus that killed a bunch of people, I wouldn't be surprised he did try to kill Emma when he drowned himself.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
It was always really jarring seeing Huey played straight as an Otacon clone in Peace Walker considering the hosed up story from MGS2. It's a similar feeling to hearing Miller desperately wanting Eli to have a good upbringing when you know his ultimate fate is to have Liquid to slit his throat and do his best Miller impression over the radio.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

BurnBlackJay posted:

Minorkos posted:

what trailer

So the gray_xof twitter has been 'hijacked' by the 'patriots' and even if you're 1000% sure this is fake this dude is pretty awesome and entertaining

Hell yes I am, all aboard the ruse cruise

EDIT: His poo poo's all spelled wrong and his grammar sucks, this is p. much the best

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Minorkos posted:

what trailer

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

The Kaz Origin leak, see above

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Listening to 'Nuclear' by Mike Oldfield again in context of the whole plot of TPP and MGS, and it's pretty fitting. Kojima really does nail his music choice Could do a ton of analysis on just the music choice for the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XmDYJBZZdc

"No more bullets and the embers are dead
Whispers in the air tell the tales
Of the brothers gone
Desolation, devastation
What a mess we made, when it all went wrong"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of which:

woa

HOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH