Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

DJ Dizzy posted:

Another question: How to I get a tier 1 hunter cell to stick together?

Do you mean as a group or on the job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
As a group.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DJ Dizzy posted:

As a group.

Assume that your players actually want to play the game, so they have to buy into the setting conceit.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

Assume that your players actually want to play the game, so they have to buy into the setting conceit.

That's asking alot.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

DJ Dizzy posted:

That's asking alot.

I know no game that can survive without that basic conceit so I can't help you if that's unworkable.

EDIT: Seriously characters refusing to work together is about as okay as coming to a mecha game and moaning about the square cube law or showing up to D&D and complaining there's no documented evidence of humans firing lightning from their eyes.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
When I pitched a hunter game to my friends, one of my ground rules was that all characters have to be able to function in a group. It is something that should be understood by everyone without it having to be said, but I was new to playing with some of them so I explicitly said it, anyway.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I suggest either providing them with a reason to stay together, or asking them to design characters that have a reason to stay together.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Give a bonus xp for every link/plot hook they have with another PC? With a maximum of one for each other PCs?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

A good way to nudge players to do a thing is to ask "What drives your character to do this thing?"

They still get to be creative, and if they answer that NO SIR MY CHARACTER WOULD NOT DO THE THING! it's easy to show how they wouldn't be part of the party, and should instead create a character who would.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

DJ Dizzy posted:

As a group.

Like other people have said, no amount of storytelling or social engineering is going to compensate for a lack of narrative buyin, but the thing you want to make sure of as a Storyteller is that everyone has a common interest in something that they need to work together to protect or defeat or understand/

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

spectralent posted:

Seriously characters refusing to work together is about as okay as coming to a mecha game and moaning about the square cube law or showing up to D&D and complaining there's no documented evidence of humans firing lightning from their eyes.
I really wonder what drives people who do this to do this. I've seen it a few times and heard it dozens of times from others; this one person has to be the obstinate contrarian and complain about every bloody thing under the sun, but then when they're told to gently caress off they beg and cry and plead to stay in the game. I can't wrap my head around it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'd guess it's because they can't bear to be excluded, even (especially?) from activities they're not interested in. So they'll agree to participate, barely, and constantly remind everyone they'd rather be elsewhere.

It's weird, you're just as likely to see it in long-term groups as in newly formed ones.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Yawgmoth posted:

I really wonder what drives people who do this to do this. I've seen it a few times and heard it dozens of times from others; this one person has to be the obstinate contrarian and complain about every bloody thing under the sun, but then when they're told to gently caress off they beg and cry and plead to stay in the game. I can't wrap my head around it.

"I'm not going to do (main game activity), my character is busy whining/I'm not specced right for it/whatever"
"God I have nothing to do, sure is boring being left out"

Yeah, familiar with it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

Another question: How to I get a tier 1 hunter cell to stick together?

Their first prey should be local and have at least a semi personal connection to each of them. After that, showing signs of a conspiracy or that the initial problem is bigger than they thought, along with the knowledge that they all just killed a *thing* should keep them together.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Of course you should always make sure that the game you pitched to them is actually the game that you're running.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
David Hill just posted ~75% of the Kiths for Lost 2.0. He also mentioned that the Brothers Grimm Dark Era and Lost 2.0's first supplement will both have new Seemings (they probably won't add any more beyond that, though). One's based on embracing stories and narratives and the other is based on a leap of faith kind of thing from the sounds of it.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Hm. Just quickly glancing through the Kiths I like a lot of what I'm seeing. One quick complaint I have is that I really hate blessings like the one the Artist has. While I think a changeling artist should be able to mechanically back up the whole artist archetype with something mechanical, what does it really mean to trivially produce masterpieces (most of the time)? You can sell them, you can use them in social maneuvering... but it would have been nice if some portion of that blessing was applicable to problem solving at the table. Art rolls are one of those things that can be really fun to describe and really hard to use as both a player and an ST.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

So, do they still have-

quote:

You sir, in the back, I believe you yelled "rap sucks". I didn't come here to perform vapid pop music and tonight is an open mike night. I'm going to be up here for the next 10 minutes, whether you like it or not. However, in honor of you I'll change up my style a bit and play something that may teach you a thing or two, if it doesn't send you running screaming.
Yup.

Though I'm assuming the flavor texts aren't final at this point.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=netBoKM4dec

So, in preparation for my future game of Werewolf: the Wyld West, I've been watching slowly Ken Burn's documentary series on The West, which is on Canadian Netflix. It's really good, and a must-watch for anyone interested in the era, but goddamn is it hard. The quotes from Chief Joseph scattered throughout the Wyld West book hit all the more when you know what was going on.

I will fight no more forever :smith:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Would anyone be interested in a hunter pbp game in NOLA during the early 1990s? I'm pretty new whem it comes to PbP and I'm also interestdd to see how people who know WoD deal with being a hunter.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Would anyone be interested in a hunter pbp game in NOLA during the early 1990s? I'm pretty new whem it comes to PbP and I'm also interestdd to see how people who know WoD deal with being a hunter.

Here's advice: never do PbP. Trust me, it isn't worth it. poo poo just falls apart really easily.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

welp

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

Here's advice: never do PbP. Trust me, it isn't worth it. poo poo just falls apart really easily.

I just realized your Demon game was like a year and a half ago.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

How different is the NOLA of the 70s compared to the 90s. Im thinking that the development of the city, cultural and economically just stopped in the 70s and hasnt progressed in 20 years.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

DJ Dizzy posted:

yessssssssss

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

DJ Dizzy posted:

How different is the NOLA of the 70s compared to the 90s. Im thinking that the development of the city, cultural and economically just stopped in the 70s and hasnt progressed in 20 years.

Football got a lot more popular (the Saints were actually good in the late 80s and early 90s). I'm not sure if oil rigs in the Gulf had started falling in popularity. Wetland preservation started picking up steam around then, iirc.

Some people were probably still spending Friday and Sunday nights shooting nutria rats and bringing their hides to the local government for some drinking money.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
I finally got to run my first session of VASCU (set in 1987 Miami) tonight, and it went way better than expected. My PCs consist of: a former LAPD SWAT cop with a little bit of Research, a green cop who isn't very bright (think Dewey from Scream) fresh into the agency with a fuckload of Investigation teleinformatics training, a mormon girl who was a runaway from Utah because of her Unseen Sense, and a former Rhodesian airman screened and pulled from a prison cell (promised a reduced sentence to work in the task force) that he'd wound up in after beating and torturing to near death a man who'd been stalking his daughter. The players worked really well together despite having very different methods of crime-solving and motivations for doing so, and I'm super loving pumped to see how they solve this first case. Two of my four players have read the Slasher book and know who it is, yet are being rather incredible about not metagaming it at all.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The Dark Eras surveys are out. I still can't believe what a shitshow the polling turned out to be, and probably should have just pulled my pledge.

But at least we get the Beast setting literally nobody wanted! :fuckoff:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm disappointed we didn't get Devil in the White City Requiem, but not enoguh to pull my peldge over it! To The Strongest is worth it alone.

And who knows, maybe the Beast era will save the game. Is it done by the same team as normal Beast? What era is it even covering?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

moths posted:

The Dark Eras surveys are out. I still can't believe what a shitshow the polling turned out to be, and probably should have just pulled my pledge.

That last minute call was utter bullshit.

Denim Avenger
Oct 20, 2010

Excelente

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm disappointed we didn't get Devil in the White City Requiem, but not enoguh to pull my peldge over it! To The Strongest is worth it alone.

And who knows, maybe the Beast era will save the game. Is it done by the same team as normal Beast? What era is it even covering?

Same team as far as I know, and they choose to set it in the reconstruction era. So no, this will not save that game.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Denim Avenger posted:

Same team as far as I know, and they choose to set it in the reconstruction era. So no, this will not save that game.

Ohmygod. The logical outcome would be Beast KKK, but you know that the KKK will be Heroes instead.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reconstruction would be a great setting without the Beast baggage, though, especially for an actually good game about corruption, decaying monsters, and incited violence, like Requiem.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ohmygod. The logical outcome would be Beast KKK, but you know that the KKK will be Heroes instead.

Part of me would love to see the logical backflips people jump through trying to defend the BeastKKK after what they did with Sleeping Beauty.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm still bummed about the lack of Book of Judges Hunter.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
But Pope, that would mean endorsing Judaism!

God, the kickstarter comments on it were ridiculous.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm still bummed about the lack of Book of Judges Hunter.

Was this something that was pitched? Because this could be great.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

moths posted:

What happened during the polling?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
They 'forgot' to shut down one of the polls on time, so a setting everyone wanted seemed to win but as it turns out if they'd shut it down at the right time the other setting would have won, so the other setting won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I still think 19th Century Quebec would make a great setting for Forsaken, because that'S when a lot Werewolf legends started.