Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

chaoslord posted:

Rafe or Austin are likely the future, we might as well start trotting them out there if we are going to lose games we should win. They can't be any more disappointing than BA because they won't be starting for their third year.

Man, I knew hoping for much more than 7 win and being competitive in the losses was going to be a tough ask this year but I didn't expect things to be this bad.

I hear you but then you are going with Austin Allen and if you anoint him now it will be even harder for Peavey or Story or Town to take over next year. I guess you can try him and if he sucks you put in Rafe and if he sucks you just hand the keys to Ty.

Red zone passing is always more difficult and you need to have a running game that can take pressure off and set up the pass. I had never seen the 7 men in a line in the secondary defense they put in for the INT which was as much a receiver slip as BA's fault.

Basically, I think that you go with BA and work on the run game because if you have a run game we would have stomped them. Maybe if we lose to Tech and A&M then you look for the future because there's no way we're not 1-5 by the next time we play at home but it's still just one loss at this point and hopefully it will set them on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Ehud posted:

Transcript of what Mac said to Kelvin Taylor:

That kind of stuff works for Saban because he wins. It doesn't work for Muschamp because he loses.

Neil Armbong posted:

Also, lol at the SEC. Hopefully more weeks like this will stop the circle jerking about what a tough conference it is.

Who exactly are you talking to? "Tearing down the myth of the SEC's invincibility" has been a tired narrative for several years now.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
The Big 10 would probably be the least disappointing conference if not for Maryland and Rutgers. Seriously, find some clause to kick them the gently caress out, nobody on the East Coast is tuning in to see Bowling Green run a train on Maryland

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
In two games (where we have not yet played anyone important), my Rebels have put up 149 points. That's slightly absurd.

This game against Bama next weekend might just be a sight to see :)

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I woke up and everything still hurts :(

we will get through this together

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LLCoolJD posted:

Who exactly are you talking to? "Tearing down the myth of the SEC's invincibility" has been a tired narrative for several years now.

The pollsters still haven't gotten the memo, and just this week there were SEC coaches opining publicly about how the SEC is tougher than any other conference and just a total grind. But then you get #6 Auburn needing OT to finish off JSU and #18 Arkansas losing to Toledo.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

I don't think there was much of a talent difference, if you did a draft with players from both teams you'd end up with about half Iowa and half ISU as starters. And ISU was ahead going in to halftime and looked pretty decent, though not dominant. Then in the second half Iowa made adjustments on defense and ISU didn't on offense, resulting in 66 total yards in the entire second half. Our defense held pretty well despite giving up those big scrambles to Beatherd and being hung out to dry constantly by the offense. It was still tied with just a few minutes left. ISU's offense just totally died after halftime, we got outcoached.

Loooool okay man. Okay.

Iowa did not make adjustments. They did the same things they always do. They just did them better. People want to pretend there is some magic game planning thing that can happen at halftime that will fix everything but "halftime adjustments" are mostly a bullshit media creation. It usually comes down to how well the players actually play.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 13, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scrapez posted:

Beathard missed some throws but he played extremely well under pressure. I'm impressed with that kid. I think he could be REALLY good by seasons end.

He's probably the most talented guy we've had at the position since Tate. Very good arm and the mobility adds a nice demension to the offense. He goes through stretches where he's really inaccurate but some of that has been guys struggling to get open. Tevaun Smith has been disappointing this year so far, I thought he was in line for a 2011 McNutt breakout type season.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Basically, I think that you go with BA and work on the run game because if you have a run game we would have stomped them. Maybe if we lose to Tech and A&M then you look for the future because there's no way we're not 1-5 by the next time we play at home but it's still just one loss at this point and hopefully it will set them on fire.

I mean, realistically you are right, but I needed to vent because are you kidding me with that performance yesterday? Part of me wonders how much Bret talking bad about the games in LR since he has been here fed into it this. I mean, Houston Nutt won 18 straight games in LR and that was playing LSU there on our home seasons. Now we are, what, 1-5 in out last six at War Memorial? With losses to ULM and Toledo.

For all of Brets complaining about how LR is "not a home game" (it absolutely is), I have a feeling the LR games are going to get replaced with another neutral site game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

The pollsters still haven't gotten the memo, and just this week there were SEC coaches opining publicly about how the SEC is tougher than any other conference and just a total grind. But then you get #6 Auburn needing OT to finish off JSU and #18 Arkansas losing to Toledo.

are you seriously going to spend an entire season whining about this again. it is week loving 2. it does not matter. this seems so exhausting to get worked up about literally every week and it is unbelievably uninteresting to read over and over again

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Isn't the playoff expanded to 8 teams this year instead of 4 anyway?

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

chaoslord posted:

I mean, realistically you are right, but I needed to vent because are you kidding me with that performance yesterday? Part of me wonders how much Bret talking bad about the games in LR since he has been here fed into it this. I mean, Houston Nutt won 18 straight games in LR and that was playing LSU there on our home seasons. Now we are, what, 1-5 in out last six at War Memorial? With losses to ULM and Toledo.

For all of Brets complaining about how LR is "not a home game" (it absolutely is), I have a feeling the LR games are going to get replaced with another neutral site game.

And I have no problem with moving them all the Fayetteville. Just go ahead and do it and get it over with.

I think that the problem was that we thought this team would not beat us and we didn't perform. Also, it's hard to just have one scholarship true freshman running back at full speed in a run first offense. Honestly, BA tied completion records, put up the third highest passing yards, and had a great game with the exception of the red zone. If the run game was clicking we'd be hailing him as much improved and would be praising Enos for finding a way to get him comfortable passing and marveling at our receivers' YACs.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

Isn't the playoff expanded to 8 teams this year instead of 4 anyway?

No

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
They've said they have no plans to expand the playoff and the current four team format is contractually set to last for at least ten years or something like that before coming under review.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Pakled posted:

http://gephardtdaily.com/local/breaking-news-university-of-utah-football-players-wounded-in-campus-shooting/
Two Utah football players have been wounded in a shooting. Twitter is saying that some gang members showed up at a party and started shooting. The two Utes are in stable condition and have not been identified yet. Also, most local media doesn't seem to be confirming that the two injured men are football players, so that might just be a twitter rumor?

also, what the gently caress, there are gangs in Salt Lake City?

Local media version: Three people showed up uninvited to an off-campus party, were asked to leave, when they didn't the two victims asked them to leave, victims get shot. So far no official has released anything about the victims beyond that they're men and part of University athletics.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Pakled posted:

They've said they have no plans to expand the playoff and the current four team format is contractually set to last for at least ten years or something like that before coming under review.

as funny as it was seeing the big 12 left out last year, it did already show the issues with only 4 when there are 5 power conferences and some other good teams and at large choices

auto 5, 3 at large will probably be the ticket eventually

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
Per Brian Floyd, Wazzu scored a "Punt Touchdown", the holy grail of Big 10 football

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pakled posted:

what the gently caress that's the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard, why is the FBS so loving stupid

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Georgia Good Things!

- Ho hum, Nick Chubb averaged a first down a carry.
- Isaiah McKenzie is a fun weapon.
- Before they went into prevent (and the sidelines sat the starters a series too early), the defense looked nasty.

Georgia Bad Things!

- Lambert is bad.
- We can't throw downfield.
- Because Lambert is bad.
- Oh, great, another senior FG kicker with the yips. I've seen this movie before.
- Team took the last 10 minutes of the game off. I swear Richt wanted the Vandy backdoor cover.
- Holy moly, the officiating in the SEC is somehow worse than ever. They called a hands to the face penalty not only on the wrong player, but on the wrong loving team. As in, they meant to say "on Vandy" but said "on Georgia." I've never seen that before in my life. Can't wait for the Steve Shaw cover-my-rear end presser next summer about how his guys had their most solid year ever in the history of ever. Stooge.

Georgia Big Picture!

- 8-4.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Wheez tribute tag right there

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Alaois posted:

what the gently caress that's the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard, why is the FBS so loving stupid

money and a conservative aversion to change.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Chump Farts posted:

as funny as it was seeing the big 12 left out last year, it did already show the issues with only 4 when there are 5 power conferences and some other good teams and at large choices

auto 5, 3 at large will probably be the ticket eventually

Yeah, I like that setup. Either that or 5 for P5 champions, two at larges, and the highest-ranked mid-major as the 8-seed.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Hats off to Al Golden for bumbling away Dwayne Lawson to VT. He's going to be a 3+ year starter at QB.

Was encouraged by what I saw from VT. Moved the ball equally on the ground and through the air, D played better, Motley took a half but settled down and had a great day(16/24, 233, 2 TD 0 INT and another 40 yards rushing and 1 rushing TD) which makes me feel good.

It was only FCS Furman but if we had done anything else there would be cause for concern. I didn't like Brewer going down obviously because I think he was poised to have a great year but being able to move the ball(9th most yards ever under Beamer) without him is a good sign.

Being able to cover a 35 point spread against an FCS team like you drat well should is an old, familiar feeling I haven't had in awhile.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

al golden is a man paid millions of dollars to destroy the UM football program.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Moose King posted:

Put every fan who booed their own team under the stands of War Memorial, burn the stadium to the ground on top of them, never allow this dumb sport to be played in Little Rock again

Wow, what a little bitch.. are you a high school football fan? This is real life professional college football dumbass! You need to boo loud, early, and often to light a fire under these players hearts and asses so they play with MOXY and GRIT and to show the refs whose boss!. 10% pleasure, 100% pain, 50% reasons to remember its not a game, 20% moxy, 65% grit, and 100% Baylor team plays like poo poo 2016 CHAMPS

All conferences and all teams suck.

Texas will defeat Cal this weekend and I will watch it since it will be the last Texas victory before Kansas (for a good 3 win season)

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Thoguh posted:

Are you telling me that some coaches get huffy during press conferences and interviews about the strength of their team and conference relative to the strength of other teams and conferences? The hell you say!

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Here are some Michigan thoughts

Jake Rudock - still a bad QB

Offensive Line - Did really well, but it was against 230 LB Oregon State d-linemen, seems totally irrelevant

Jake Butt - Owns

Deveon Smith - Is a monster, he really needs to work on his vision, but if he ever gets that down he's going to be disgusting. He's like a bowling ball....WITH AGILITY. </Fred Jackson>

The defense gave up 136 yards to Oregon State in the 1st quarter and I was ready to kill myself, but then they adjusted to modern concepts like 'the QB might run the ball or in fact hand it off' and held them to 2 yards for the rest of the game. Chris Wormley has 6 tackles for loss and 2 sacks in 2 games against legitimate competition. He looks really good.

Joe Bolden is kinda bad. I'm worried about the secondary, but with Jourdan Lewis (the team's only good CB) out with a concussion they still did that whole '2 yards' thing. Tough to judge vs an inexperienced running QB, but it was still a good performance.

Overall it was a good win, should stomp UNLV easily and then have an interesting game with BYU that might actually tell us something about the team.

Also, this was the funniest play of the season so far:

https://vine.co/v/eF12PtvEn6z

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ISU lost to Iowa, not terribly surprised, but the way ISU ended the game was pretty pathetic. ISU now gets to go to Toledo, and will probably lose again considering Toledo just beat Arkansas. I'll be there to witness the carnage in person, yay.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

Georgia stuff

Yeah our running game is insane, just like it has been for more or less the last 4 years, but somehow more so. Our passing game is strange. Sometimes there are brief flashes of competency, but it is baffling. Lambert isn't great, but does that mean that Ramsey is somehow worse or is this some dumb motivational thing to get Ramsey to step up and take control. I also don't see the use of putting him for like one series a game when he has been at least as decent as Lambert has been. Also calling tempo run play with Chubb as the back after he ran 80 yards was a dumb move. I kept thinking that I haven't said that our defense is what bailed us out of a game in a long time.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
I chugged whiskey when ND was down with 2 minutes to go in the 4th. Blacked out, missed a bunch of good football games, and woke up in my bed at 4 AM hoping that was a nightmare.

Nope. At least I probably won't be as gutted when we inevitably lose to GT, Clemson, and USC.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Had to miss the whole day of football but I just wanted to say Go Green, Go White, gently caress Bret Bielema

god bless

witz
Sep 28, 2001

Start winning some games or he'll kill you

Fussy Dutchman posted:

I chugged whiskey when ND was down with 2 minutes to go in the 4th. Blacked out, missed a bunch of good football games, and woke up in my bed at 4 AM hoping that was a nightmare.

Nope. At least I probably won't be as gutted when we inevitably lose to GT, Clemson, and USC.

I can see them only dropping 2 by the end of the year, depending on how the running game shakes out.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I don't think Butch Jones has any margin for error now this year. UGA and Bama are one thing but the rest should be wins. 8-4 or 7-5 shouldn't be acceptable with that super weak East.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
coaches' poll

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

oh poo poo my dudes

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
the only way i got espn highlights to work was to use internet explorer and i tried edge and firefox, and only tennessee fans put up highlight videos on youtube already and they lost. put up youtubes dumb football fans, i want to watch the games in HD to get my work out in (heart rate +5%, breathing +10%, just from watching your favorite sports, muscle mass increases)

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Temple is gonna go undefeated. Best team in Pennsylvania

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yay, Northwestern is in.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Why is Auburn still getting votes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
That's great and all but show me the bottom 25 that's all that matters

• Locked thread