Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Would you guys consider The Cat Lady to be a horror game? :confused:
I'm trying to describe it to a friend and I guess it's psychological horror?

I'm watching some LPs of Until Dawn and I am really liking it a lot more than I thought I would.

It's definitely psychological horror, it's not woo spooky horror but more the kind of depressing and creepy mindscrew horror.

Bubba Smith posted:

I think anybody, definitely every goon that has ever existed, would occasionally sound like an idiot and be bad at video games too if they recorded themselves playing a new game for 15+ hours like how HarshlyCritical does and other streamers. Of the LPers I've watched he's definitely one of the most fun and chill and his Until Dawn play through is great.

Yeah, the problem with streaming new games like this is that you have zero context to whatever is going on so doing improv is extremely difficult. Most people completely gently caress it up because they're showboating morons, but it is hard to do at the root as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

gently caress the keeper from the evil within. gently caress him right in his 7 foot box headed rear end

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

oldpainless posted:

gently caress the keeper from the evil within. gently caress him right in his 7 foot box headed rear end
Nah, he's a fun and interesting boss with a fair number of gimmicks, a scary aesthetic, and just an all around good guy that you can later play as in Condemned like DLC. Spider lady, and her boss fight, can suck a dick with that one hit kill nonsense.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I picked up Stasis the other night. I'm generally not a horror game player (I usually just watch playthroughs on youtube) but the isometric perspective and low-res graphics reminded me of Sanitarium, which I loved.

So far it's been a neat experience. The voiceacting is fine for the protagonist and different shades of rubbish for everyone else, but the game is awesomely gross with some wonderful body horror and some very nice environmental descriptions. I'm not a fan of gross out horror usually (Psychological is a lot more interesting to me), and there are some jump scares which don't affect me too much, but the gameworld is presented very nicely and the puzzles don't seem too eldritch currently.

The game feels a lot like Dead Space if you were just allowed to explore the station instead of fighting through it. Fantastic sound design and they really found some great ways to freak you out despite the detatched camera angle.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Sep 8, 2015

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Songbearer posted:

I picked up Stasis the other night. I'm generally not a horror game player (I usually just watch playthroughs on youtube) but the isometric perspective and low-res graphics reminded me of Sanitarium, which I loved.

So far it's been a neat experience. The voiceacting is fine for the protagonist and different shades of rubbish for everyone else, but the game is awesomely gross with some wonderful body horror and some very nice environmental descriptions. I'm not a fan of gross out horror usually (Psychological is a lot more interesting to me), and there are some jump scares which don't affect me too much, but the gameworld is presented very nicely and the puzzles don't seem too eldritch currently.

The game feels a lot like Dead Space if you were just allowed to explore the station instead of fighting through it. Fantastic sound design and they really found some great ways to freak you out despite the detatched camera angle.

I wish I could say the same. The audio all felt totally overwrought and HEY LOOK HOW SPOOKY THIS IS, I didn't care for the voice acting in any instance, and I can't stand it when games don't allow you to skip or fast-forward through dialog in some fashion. I ended up force-quitting the game because I got so annoyed by the poorly written song that the protagonist's wife or whatever sings to their daughter. I'm probably being a little overcritical but everything about the game felt so clumsy to me. Obviously YMMV and all that, I think I went in expecting something very different from what I got and it never grabbed me as a result.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Playing stasis right now and yeah, I burst out laughing when they stared singing that loving lullaby. If that doesn't turn up as a creepy little girl la la la, or a music box theme somewhere I will be incredibly surprised.

Presentation of the game is great, I like the design of the setting, main character is voiced ok. Is everyone else like, a text to speech or pitch corrected or something? I haven't heard a character other than the main one yet that doesn't sound like a robot.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

Playing stasis right now and yeah, I burst out laughing when they stared singing that loving lullaby. If that doesn't turn up as a creepy little girl la la la, or a music box theme somewhere I will be incredibly surprised.

Presentation of the game is great, I like the design of the setting, main character is voiced ok. Is everyone else like, a text to speech or pitch corrected or something? I haven't heard a character other than the main one yet that doesn't sound like a robot.

Yeah I'm not sure, I was wondering that with the little girl's VO, it sounded really heavily processed in a bad way. I was particularly disappointed with how the VO was handled, I think they could have made a lot of smarter and more effective choices with the robot voices. Most of them sound like an actor playing a human pretending to be a robot.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I wanted to love Stasis but the poor animation, awkward environment interaction and lack of scrolling environments really got to me. It just feels so static.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Why is Dying Light still $60?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

mr sad posted:

They charge what the market will bear, I guess, so people must still be buying it at that price. They will probably keep it there until the next big sale again

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

mr sad posted:

You can buy a used copy from Gamefly for $20

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Can anyone recommend me a good horror game that isn't "first person perspective, walking around spooky area and then you have to run from monster"?

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Alien: Isolation.

You have to walk from the monster in that one.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Lone Survivor: It's in third person / sidescrolling perspective.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
I've enjoyed Claire more than Lone Survivor so far. They're pretty similar though.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Tired Moritz posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good horror game that isn't "first person perspective, walking around spooky area and then you have to run from monster"?
I quite enjoyed Uncanny Valley though you do get a little chased around in that. There's also [http://store.steampowered.com/app/385330/]Stray Cat Crossing[/url], though you could probably finish that in like two hours.

Also pretty excited for Dropsy to drop tomorrow. Seems like a good hell ride full of hugs.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Niggurath posted:

Also pretty excited for Dropsy to drop tomorrow. Seems like a good hell ride full of hugs.

Goon made too I think

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh poo poo Dropsy's tommorow? Between this, Mad Max and MGSV, this month is a loving blast for games.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

unpacked robinhood posted:

Goon made too I think

It is! The creator made a Dropsy CYOA a few years back, too. Glad to see the game's finally finished.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
I don't like Alien Isolation. The atmosphere is great but the teleporting alien is killing the game for me plus it's psychic ability to locate me. I'm also feeling like the game is waaay too long.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Practically everyone will agree on the second part, it's all but confirmed that the publisher likely pushed them to pad the length, because "We can't sell a AAA game this short!" and so a lot of the later game dragged pretty hard.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kortel posted:

I don't like Alien Isolation. The atmosphere is great but the teleporting alien is killing the game for me plus it's psychic ability to locate me. I'm also feeling like the game is waaay too long.

The alien neither teleports nor is it psychic. Its just way smarter than the monsters in a lot of other horror games.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

It is! The creator made a Dropsy CYOA a few years back, too. Glad to see the game's finally finished.
Yeah it looks awesome, the creator has a thread for it too: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559134 Everyone should buy it, it looks to have a ton of love and painstaking detail poured into it. A lot (or all?) of the art is pixel art actually drawn in pixel by pixel, which is kind of an insane way to make a video game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

1stGear posted:

The alien neither teleports nor is it psychic. Its just way smarter than the monsters in a lot of other horror games.

no it's loving not why do people keep saying this. it's like rich evans is the only not idiot reviewing this game. the alien's the worst because sometimes it shouldn't be able to find and other times you're peering over a desk and it'll look at you and walk by.

kortel was right.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
It kind of has to teleport to some degree or the other, if only to spawn in the first place at times. Regardless of how Good/Bad the Alien AI is, it is not literally following you from room to room in with physical in world pathing the whole time.

Otherwise you could leave if far behind just by getting through set pieces fast enough, if they didn't implement rubber banding instead.

I would hate to be the guy trying to make "Alien Isolation, but it never teleports we swear-oh fuckballs it's pathing got stuck on a desk HOW many rooms back?"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Groovelord Neato posted:

no it's loving not why do people keep saying this. it's like rich evans is the only not idiot reviewing this game. the alien's the worst because sometimes it shouldn't be able to find and other times you're peering over a desk and it'll look at you and walk by.

kortel was right.

lol at madgamerboi

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

1stGear posted:

It does, I've sat there and watched it on the monitor. You can watch and see its travel speeds and that remains consistent. However there are many times it just straight teleports. Or my favorite: does not show up at all and pulls you up a vent ignoring three humans two feet away from you. There's obvious design reasons for it but it kills my motivation to play.
Working Joes terrify me more than the Alien when I don't have Flame Thrower ammo.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Tired Moritz posted:

Layers of Fear has you walking into monster but it has a lot of neat scares which I enjoyed. the devs seem to be quite receptive to feedback and criticism so after early access they are going to space out the jump scares more.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Section Z posted:

It kind of has to teleport to some degree or the other, if only to spawn in the first place at times. Regardless of how Good/Bad the Alien AI is, it is not literally following you from room to room in with physical in world pathing the whole time.

Otherwise you could leave if far behind just by getting through set pieces fast enough, if they didn't implement rubber banding instead.

I would hate to be the guy trying to make "Alien Isolation, but it never teleports we swear-oh fuckballs it's pathing got stuck on a desk HOW many rooms back?"

it's more that it can hop into the vents and run at you from a hallway in an impossible timeframe is the "teleporting"

soma deliver us...

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 10, 2015

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I finished Zombi a couple of days ago. It was ok in its mechanics which I kinda liked, having to go through your bags/containers while zombies could move around in the background. The scanner was also pretty useful in checking the environments.

There were a bunch of negatives though. First off was that melee combat took a while, I frequently had to smack zombies 5-7 times before they got into a position where I could deliver a death stroke. It became less tense and more of a pain in the rear end. Second was that apparently you only have the most recent dead survivor in your game so far as I could tell, so if you die on the way back to your corpse or former survivor, say goodbye to all the good stuff you had accumulated. Third was that for a game that had the implicit goal of surviving on a character for as long as possible, there was more than a few cheap kills in the game - I'm thinking mostly sudden, close-range appearances of explosive zombies, which are an insta-kill if they get anywhere close to you. It felt really cheap and disappointing. I think they should have been used as medium to long-range enemies to put it more on the player's shoulders to ID them quickly and pop them before they got close. Not just "oh, here it is, you're dead now."

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I watched someone play through The Static Speaks My Name and now I'm in an awful place, mentally. I'm not sure how that game manages to be so oppressive and evocative with so little, but it does.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
MGSV episode 43 trip report: someone please let Kojima make a horror game :stare:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

MGSV episode 43 trip report: someone please let Kojima make a horror game :stare:

That whole scene was great.

"We live and die at your order Boss :unsmith:"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

I know, right? The intro for Episode Prologue was disturbing but Episode 43 was downright horrific. :stare:

In other news, tried out Stasis recently. It's pretty good. The journals tend to be a bit text-dump-y but are really well written and all feed into each other.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.
Super late, but I just caught up with the thread and have been playing Amnesia. The early game stole the camera too much and I think the sanity effects need to be s aled back a bit, but I've totalled jumped out of my seat when caught by the enemies.

Preordered SOMA because the setting looks great and the trailers really sold me - except the one with the protagonist swearing and stumbling around. That's my job when the game shocks me.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Kortel posted:

Or my favorite: does not show up at all and pulls you up a vent ignoring three humans two feet away from you.

That's telegraphed by slime dripping from the vent.

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

Kortel posted:

I don't understand how a game can be too long. If you're getting bored, just... stop playing it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that's like saying "how can graphics be bad? you can just close your eyes"

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Crashbee posted:

I don't understand how a game can be too long.

When it's obviously forced past the desired length and becomes more of a slog as a result.

At least that was the case for Isolation. After a while it's just retreading and fighting joes in engineering areas for an extra few hours.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

Periodiko posted:

That's telegraphed by slime dripping from the vent.

Yeah, unless you get there at the same time and then you're just hosed. I eventually just avoided walking under vents at all.