Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Trying to find meaning in Camus is the definition of meta-fiction

In other news, Mexico has been having an interesting surge in young women authors recently. Guadalupe Nettel, Valeria Luiselli, and Silvia Moreno-Garcia have all become pretty big the last year or so

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Smoking Crow posted:

What's the point of reading camus

the stranger is really funny imho

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

My existentialism joke flew over y'alls heads

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Smoking Crow posted:

you cannot control what the other poster does, only what you yourself do

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
camus is Good.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Smoking Crow posted:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Trying to find meaning in Camus is the definition of meta-fiction

Not everyone's :colbert:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Smoking Crow posted:

What's the point of reading camus

discovering that the plague is better than the stranger

edit:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Legend of a Suicide

I'll start with this and dive deper later maybe, thanks.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 10, 2015

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

Paul Auster's New York Trilogy is really good, y'all.

I thought the first book was ok but about halfway through the second one I just found the whole thing really boring and tedious and gave up

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Earwicker posted:

I thought the first book was ok but about halfway through the second one I just found the whole thing really boring and tedious and gave up

The second one is like 60 pages

It says something though that I read the New York Trilogy three years ago and literally remember nothing about it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The second one is like 60 pages

yeah but I had them all in one volume and was reading them all at once, I just remember it was at some point in the second one I got sick of the whole thing

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
my edition had deckle edges and fake pulp illustrations for each novel w/ tag lines in the nature of "the KEY to the MYSTERY - is MURDER" which i think is very revealing

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Seriously I just sat for the last hour trying to remember what the gently caress any of those books were about and I think there was a map of New York in there somewhere and that is it.

I've never blanked on the content of a book, much less three, like this before.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Seriously I just sat for the last hour trying to remember what the gently caress any of those books were about and I think there was a map of New York in there somewhere and that is it.

Just play Metal Gear Solid 2 instead

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Just play Metal Gear Solid 2 instead

Phantom Pain bitches :twisted:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mel Mudkiper posted:

i don't know, keeping a child ignorant of all language in the hopes that he will learn the Divine Tongue is a pretty good hook

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

i don't know, keeping a child ignorant of all language in the hopes that he will learn the Divine Tongue is a pretty good hook

Was that something that happened?

Not a joke which one was that because that does sound interesting.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Phantom Pain bitches :twisted:

I'm sorry, I only play good games

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I remember reading about it in a history book a long time ago - i think it was a persian kid and he said a word that meant 'bread' in aramaic, so it was taken as a sign that that was the first language and should be exalted

I am probably mixing up yhe nations tho

Also, if the idea of a metaphysical detective appeals to you, read Pamuk's Black Book. It's rad!

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

That's City of Glass. Depends how interesting you think ruminations on the Tower of Babel within the remit of a detective story really is. I think they're fun intellectual exercises, but unsurprisingly you're left thinking there should be more to a book than that. Funnily enough the book itself kind of knows that it's a completely pointless thing. Lots of wandering aimlessly.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Burning Rain posted:

I remember reading about it in a history book a long time ago - i think it was a persian kid and he said a word that meant 'bread' in aramaic, so it was taken as a sign that that was the first language and should be exalted

Also, if the idea of a metaphysical detective appeals to you, read Pamuk's Black Book. It's rad!

It's in Herodotus, the kid was Egyptian (might've been under the Persians) and the word was Phrygian ("bekos").

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Burning Rain posted:

That's from Herodotus.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Herodotus it is then.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I finished reading Gravity's Rainbow last week and I'm still pretty floored by it. It is so much more bleak than I was led to believe from all of the hilarious parts. I read it over the summer and after the first 100 pages or so I felt pretty settled into the groove, although the last 100 pages or so were hard to make sense of until I thought about them more afterwards.

So...Slothrop just sort of dissolves into The Zone, right? Like he just totally fragments as a person? This still doesn't quite make sense to me beyond just accepting it as is. Did his pursuit of the 00000 and the conspiracy surrounding him just sort of break him, along with Bianca's death? It really started to begin when Bianca died, as far as I can tell. I'm just not quite sure what to make of all of it. Subverting a hero's journey sort of thing? Also, I really enjoyed the parallels between Slothrop's story and Byron the Bulb's.

I think I'm probably going to jump back in soon and just start it all over again. What a book.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Yep, that's pretty much it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just finished Homage to Catalonia and I dunno if it counts as literature but it was good. I like that I was expecting a political tract but that it's mostly just about Orwell wandering around complaining about testicle lice and not being able to find good cigarettes.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

OregonDonor posted:

I finished reading Gravity's Rainbow last week and I'm still pretty floored by it. It is so much more bleak than I was led to believe from all of the hilarious parts. I read it over the summer and after the first 100 pages or so I felt pretty settled into the groove, although the last 100 pages or so were hard to make sense of until I thought about them more afterwards.

So...Slothrop just sort of dissolves into The Zone, right? Like he just totally fragments as a person? This still doesn't quite make sense to me beyond just accepting it as is. Did his pursuit of the 00000 and the conspiracy surrounding him just sort of break him, along with Bianca's death? It really started to begin when Bianca died, as far as I can tell. I'm just not quite sure what to make of all of it. Subverting a hero's journey sort of thing? Also, I really enjoyed the parallels between Slothrop's story and Byron the Bulb's.

I think I'm probably going to jump back in soon and just start it all over again. What a book.

I also finished it last week! I found it helped to have one of those chapter summaries at hand, because the narrative just flows on and on until I forgot what the hell happened five pages ago. Some chapters were really great, while the others were too abstract for me to get any footing. I don't think I'll be re-reading it any time soon, but I still appreciate my time with it.

As far as Slothrop goes, I think in the end it was quite explicitly mentioned that he represents humankind in Pynchon's eyes with his/our almost erotic obsession with Death and destruction. So his dissolution makes perfect sense, because he stops functioning as a person or a character, instead becoming a part of the greater Whole of the humanity. Also, it makes sense that the closer to 00000/Death he gets, the less real he becomes - also in the eyes of pursuers, which in turn fuels his dissolution until he stops existing like the bomb - obviously before the sound of his disappearance reaches everybody else. That's my take at least :shrug:

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 11, 2015

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Burning Rain posted:

yah it's good. some critics made it sound as if it's hundreds of pages of him eating cereals but it's not that at all
Books 3-5 of My struggle are pretty much that though. They have some good bits depending on your interests (father&son relationship in 3rd (somehow I get unreliable narrator vibe from those parts though, he's just sensitive as gently caress and exaggerates maybe, anyone else?), high school/teaching stuff in 4th and college life in 5th), but the introspection is mostly gone. I felt cheated by Knausgård when I got to those books after beautiful books 1&2. 5th was decent because as lit student I always like lit student navelgazing (and Knausgård goes all in by studying Proust and Joyce when he isn't too busy being drunken rear end in a top hat)

mallamp fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 11, 2015

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Byron the Bulb is the best

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Finishing up The Prague Cemetary by Eco. Like it a lot but not a patch on Foucalt's Pendulum.

Any other recommendations for a literary take on conspiracy theories and / or the debunking thereof?

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I finished The Temple of the Golden Pavilion. Thanks, people who recommended it. I did in fact like it a lot more than those, uh, unfortunate ones I read before. I thought it was a little slow moving at first but I was satisfied with how it all came together.

I think I want a break from Mishima so I'll probably read some other stuff for a bit. I have to return The Metamorphosis soon, so probably that to start with.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There was a case where the Mughal Emperor Akbar, had a house filled with very young children and forbid anyone to speak in their presence or show them writing in order to discover humanities natural language. The results were not what he had hoped for.

Also I finished To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee. I liked it so much that I stayed at work after my shift was over so I could read the rest of courtroom scene. My friend said he'd lend me his copy of the sequel. Having just watched the Gregory Peck film on Netflix my suspicion that much of the controversy surrounding Atticus Finch's `shocking turn` stem from the film and Gregory Peck's excellent performance. It seemed pretty clear to me that Atticus was motivated by his belief in the law, (there's no way in hell Tom Robinson could have done what he'd been accused off) and that's about as far as he goes.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Don't read the "sequel", it's definitely not something that was ever supposed to be published.

I've almost finished Between the World and Me and I don't think I understand what is meant by white in the book. Is it supposed to be the national white zeitgeist - the spirit that looks at problems and addresses them from a privileged position where they can only be seen as part of a universal problem and not something inflicted?

It's a good book but incredibly depressing. I'm Jewish and my family was only given the position of white in the previous generation - I don't find myself at the severe end of the aggressor but I do feel like I could be doing more.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Baka-nin posted:

There was a case where the Mughal Emperor Akbar, had a house filled with very young children and forbid anyone to speak in their presence or show them writing in order to discover humanities natural language. The results were not what he had hoped for.

What happened? I can't find any info through google.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

fez_machine posted:

quote:

Herodotus, Histories, Book 2 chapter 2

Now before Psammetichus became pharoah of Egypt, the Egyptians believed that they were the oldest people on earth. But ever since Psammetichus became pharoah and wished to find out which people were the oldest, they have believed that the Phrygians were older than they, and they than everybody else.

Psammetichus, when he was in no way able to learn by inquiry which people had first come into being, devised a plan by which he took two newborn children of the common people and gave them to a shepherd to bring up among his flocks. He gave instructions that no one was to speak a word in their hearing; they were to stay by themselves in a lonely hut, and in due time the shepherd was to bring goats and give the children their milk and do everything else necessary.

Psammetichus did this, and gave these instructions, because he wanted to hear what speech would first come from the children, when they were past the age of indistinct babbling. And he had his wish; for one day, when the shepherd had done as he was told for two years, both children ran to him stretching out their hands and calling "Bekos!" as he opened the door and entered.

When he first heard this, he kept quiet about it; but when, coming often and paying careful attention, he kept hearing this same word, he told his master at last and brought the children into the king's presence as required. Psammetichus then heard them himself, and asked to what language the word "Bekos" belonged; he found it to be a Phrygian word, signifying bread.

Reasoning from this, the Egyptians acknowledged that the Phrygians were older than they. This is the story which I heard from the priests of Hephaestus' temple at Memphis; the Greeks say among many foolish things that Psammetichus had the children reared by women whose tongues he had cut out.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Cloks posted:

Don't read the "sequel", it's definitely not something that was ever supposed to be published.

Haven't read it but Ursula le Guin wrote a review about it http://bookviewcafe.com/blog/2015/08/03/a-personal-take-on-go-set-a-watchman/

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

fez_machine posted:

Really?, basically what happened is what always happened in these absurd language deprivation experiments, (there were at least one similar experiment in Scotland and the Holy Roman Empire) they speak no language at all and at best communicate through some kind of sign language. It also had the added bonus of retarding the children making it much harder for them to learn any language at all when the experiment ended. Social deprivation of children is considered child abuse for a reason. There was a modern case (though not an experiment just explicit abuse) they taught here speak but just barely, and brain scans showed that the left hemisphere of her brain was severely out of balance.

Baka-nin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 14, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Its also worth noting that language is an inevitable biological function of the human brain

Denying a human brain language during development is like denying an eye light during development.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I had to learn about Genie in a class. I found the whole deal quite depressing. People can be really terrible.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

There was a novel about her I wanted to read but I forget it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There was a novel about her I wanted to read but I forget it

I thought it was A Child Called It but that's a different book about terrible people