Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is really well-done, but it's incredibly hard. I think the lack of checkpoints in Mario Maker hurts it, I might split it into two levels.

i guess this is like that thing where old game designers think their levels are easy because they made them, and then they make them harder for themselves, and it becomes extremely hard for other people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

mabels big day posted:

i guess this is like that thing where old game designers think their levels are easy because they made them, and then they make them harder for themselves, and it becomes extremely hard for other people.
Honestly it's just the classic Nintendo-hard issue of having to do it perfectly and needing to more-or-less memorize the layout. It's a really good level, but the fact that there's no checkpoint means you're having to do the vine and airship in one run, which is really hard. Both would be challenging but fine on their own, but together it means repeating the first section - and having to get it perfect - over and over.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

mabels big day posted:

My second level is an homage to one of my favorite level types in DKC2

Grinding Grove

FF5F-0000-002E-BE9A

when I get the Diddy costume I'll probably make another one like this. I had more ideas but I ran out of enemy space because I used so many chompers and piranha plants as decoration.

Good poo poo. I echo FactsAreUseless sentiment, no individual challenge is unfair, but the length makes it grueling. If you make another, consider adding some decoration to the places that don't require spike balls

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Azraelle posted:

Good poo poo. I echo FactsAreUseless sentiment, no individual challenge is unfair, but the length makes it grueling. If you make another, consider adding some decoration to the places that don't require spike balls
I actually didn't think it needed more decoration, I loved the look. You can't do much to make 8-bit Mario levels that pretty, but there was a lot of good detail in this.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i got the castle kit and its making me realize that a lot of new mario castles are very gimmick based, like the entire level dipping into the lava or a ton of moving platforms, and thinking about those levels, if they were bigger and more maze like... they would be very sonic style lol

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

also im trying to design a segment that would force a player to do a new mario triple jump and i can see why you like never really need to use it in actual new mario games lol

Sofia Coppola_OD_
Nov 1, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I actually didn't think it needed more decoration, I loved the look. You can't do much to make 8-bit Mario levels that pretty, but there was a lot of good detail in this.

this is probably common knowledge or whatever but a few of the block types in each world-type and environment type have like 4-5 doodads that can appear as you draw with them. A cool and easy thing I'm only now really starting to put the thought/effort into is just drawing a ton with those blocks til i have one of each of the doodads, then using the copy function to place them where i want them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mabels big day posted:

Yeah that interview Arino held for Iwata (Rest his soul) was really good on how it explained that thing on the NES games.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

this is probably common knowledge or whatever but a few of the block types in each world-type and environment type have like 4-5 doodads that can appear as you draw with them. A cool and easy thing I'm only now really starting to put the thought/effort into is just drawing a ton with those blocks til i have one of each of the doodads, then using the copy function to place them where i want them.
Oh, you can copy those when they appear? I figured it was just random, that's cool.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

It looks good, the irregular enemy placement works well as decoration, but adding some differently colored tiles to places that cannot be reached could make it could make it even prettier.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

only two people have cleared my course.... what have i done

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

mabels big day posted:

only two people have cleared my course.... what have i done

This is how I feel as well. We can only do are best, as the creators of the levels frankly. It's gave me a new appreciation for it since a lot of the time I'm trying to do like my favorite SMB1 things where like you can go through the level slowly and stuff if you want but it's often designed so that if your bold, adaptive, and a little faithful you can do elegant #Winning epic poo poo...

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

i got a level that was underwater, filled with enemies, and spelled pewdiepie in letters larger than the screen

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

i got a level that was underwater, filled with enemies, and spelled pewdiepie in letters larger than the screen

lmfao

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLoRd6_a1CI

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

elf help book posted:

its killing me that i havent bought this game yet

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

It's to drat good brother.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The past two weeks have been the greatest in video game history...

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wormskull posted:

The past two weeks have been the greatest in video game history...

Bean posted:

So I had to take a massive number two this morning, it was about to be a national tragedy in my drawers. I had to get out of line at TRU and drop some terrorism at a local Subway. It took me past a local GameStop, where one woman was sitting. The sign said they had plenty of stock. That sounded like a better deal, so I chillaxed there.

I made friends with a random mom and the parents of the guy who runs Beta 64. One dude was vaping. I got Ganondorf and Pixel Mario, and my car smells like fart. It's me, I had the gooniest experience.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

lmfao

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hell yeah.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Get that man an account.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

this is cool

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

mabels big day posted:

My second level is an homage to one of my favorite level types in DKC2

Grinding Grove

FF5F-0000-002E-BE9A

when I get the Diddy costume I'll probably make another one like this. I had more ideas but I ran out of enemy space because I used so many chompers and piranha plants as decoration.

i just typed this in and got mad from only seeing the map

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I wish this game had like a companion website so I could see who's playing my levels while I am at work. I think that I am about to unlock the ability to upload 20 total levels and I'm super excited for that.

skull wall
Jul 29, 2012

I gave out a lot of favorites to japanese people this morning.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

the mario 1 dk sprite is really good

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm working on a level: 9E1C-0000-0030-8AF2. Please give me some tips.

I know you can skip the middle section by helicoptering right over but please....dont....

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Aston posted:

I'm working on a level: 9E1C-0000-0030-8AF2. Please give me some tips.

I know you can skip the middle section by helicoptering right over but please....dont....

Give me a reason not to, bitch. There's your first tip.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

holy poo poo mabels big day that dr mario level

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

here is a level where you run and jump D970-0000-0030-4474

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

HolePisser1982 posted:

Dec 26, 2012

HolePisser1982 posted:

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

shout outs to the guy that named his level goomba souls

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
now im home and have unlocked the smb3 sprites it is time to make some levels. gonna be playing all yours and leaving comments :yeah:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm making a airship level... in SMB1 tiles. They look the coolest.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

VideoGames posted:

now im home and have unlocked the smb3 sprites it is time to make some levels. gonna be playing all yours and leaving comments :yeah:

Please post your levels when they're done. Here are all of mine in one place.

http://gamesplusone.com/gmm/index.php?by=96

Seeing that other people have played your levels is the most fun part about this game to me, so try and play as many as I can to pass on the fun.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

103C-0000-0031-6736. "Bullet Bill Bounce"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Please post your levels when they're done. Here are all of mine in one place.

http://gamesplusone.com/gmm/index.php?by=96

Seeing that other people have played your levels is the most fun part about this game to me, so try and play as many as I can to pass on the fun.

Cool website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The guy who made that is a stone cold psychopathic pedophile so I shan't be taking part. Just follow me on the game or whatever when I post a code, if you want my shits.

• Locked thread