Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Darth123123 posted:

Can I post here for tree sickness diagnosis? She ill, a newbie, and I'm worried

Go for it, although if it's not really obvious you'll probably end up having to have an arborist check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

kid sinister posted:

The children will be hybrids, not the parents. You would have to plant the seeds obtained from a successful cross breeding. That new plant's fruit would have the blended features, most likely. Cross breeding doesn't always have the intended results. Sometimes, any seeds produced wouldn't be viable, or that the resulting hybrid will be sterile. That's actually a strategy used sometimes by professional plant breeding companies. If the plant you spent decades developing can't reproduce via its seeds, then that removes one source of potential customers obtaining their own plant outside of your control. Legally, they will have to come to you or a licensed nursery to buy their own vegetative clone, at least until your patent expires. A lot of rose cultivars are like that.

Cool cool. I figured as much but wanted to make sure. Thanks!

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Another question plant folk.

I'm worried about my blood orange seedlings. Recently a couple of them have started losing some of their lower leaves. They turn yellow and eventually drop. I figured I was over watering (it's been quite hot and dry recently and when I've checked their soil has been bone dry on top, barely moist at all on bottom, so I was giving them more than usual), but now I seem to be under watering as they've been looking droopy and parched for the last day or so.

This guy, for example, has already lost three leaves and is in the process of dropping another couple. Normally he's quite perky, but yesterday and today he has been super droopy and has started curling some leaves. At the same time this guy:

seems to be doing just fine. I had a problem with spider mites earlier in the year but was able to get rid of them with neem oil.

Any idea what I can do to solve this problem? I'm thinking they might be getting too big for their little Solo cup pots. They're by no means root bound, but they all have at least some roots sticking out of the bottom in contact with the plastic. Is it normal for oranges to lose lower leaves as they grow, and am I just worried about nothing?

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

kedo posted:

Another question plant folk.

I'm worried about my blood orange seedlings. Recently a couple of them have started losing some of their lower leaves. They turn yellow and eventually drop. I figured I was over watering (it's been quite hot and dry recently and when I've checked their soil has been bone dry on top, barely moist at all on bottom, so I was giving them more than usual), but now I seem to be under watering as they've been looking droopy and parched for the last day or so.

This guy, for example, has already lost three leaves and is in the process of dropping another couple. Normally he's quite perky, but yesterday and today he has been super droopy and has started curling some leaves. At the same time this guy:

seems to be doing just fine. I had a problem with spider mites earlier in the year but was able to get rid of them with neem oil.

Any idea what I can do to solve this problem? I'm thinking they might be getting too big for their little Solo cup pots. They're by no means root bound, but they all have at least some roots sticking out of the bottom in contact with the plastic. Is it normal for oranges to lose lower leaves as they grow, and am I just worried about nothing?

How often are you watering them? Could be that the soil is too wet.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Bina posted:

How often are you watering them? Could be that the soil is too wet.

A good soak once every two to three days, depending on how the soil looked. I haven't left water pooled around the roots or anything like that, but the soil was indeed wet.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

kedo posted:

A good soak once every two to three days, depending on how the soil looked. I haven't left water pooled around the roots or anything like that, but the soil was indeed wet.

Sounds like over watering to me. You want the soil not too wet, but just dry enough for the roots to absorb moisture. The roots go far down below the top, and can suffocate if too much water is in the soil. You want the soil to be just loose enough for the roots to rest in it, not get bogged down.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Seconding what Bina wrote. I like to have some rocks at the bottom of my pots that have saucers, so that the extra water drains out and doesn't wick up back into the soil and keep the roots soaked.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

The Gardenator posted:

Seconding what Bina wrote. I like to have some rocks at the bottom of my pots that have saucers, so that the extra water drains out and doesn't wick up back into the soil and keep the roots soaked.

Ooh, i'm gonna do that on my days off. Thank you potted soil angel.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Can anybody tell me what flower this is? It's from http://juedmartinez.com/Photography/?p=77 and is listed as a snapdragon but although it might be related, the petals seem off enough that I don't think it is. It also seems to have a distinct flower per stalk which is also different, though that could just be the angle.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Looks more like an iris to me.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
That looks like an orchid.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah, that's an orchid. I'm sure one of the orchid lovers can be more specific. :)

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

To be fair, Orchidaceae is either the largest or second largest Family of following plants, with well over 20000 species, so just saying "It's an orchid" isn't really that horticulturally useful a statement :-p

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007
Vanda orchid maybe?

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147
I have a Cattleya Bactia orchid. It had four blooms that just fell off and the stalk is looking a little brown. What should I do now? Leave it alone or cut it? If cut it, how far down?

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

MythObstacleIV posted:

I have a Cattleya Bactia orchid. It had four blooms that just fell off and the stalk is looking a little brown. What should I do now? Leave it alone or cut it? If cut it, how far down?

Looks nice and healthy. According to my orchid book, leave it and look after it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

MythObstacleIV posted:

That's what orchids do: grow a flower stalk, bloom, that stalk dies, falls off and repeat. In other words, you can either cut that part off now and wait for the remainder to fall off later, or just wait for the whole thing to fall off.

But like GI said, your orchid looks very healthy. Good work!

MythObstacleIV
Oct 27, 2007

640509-040147
Excellent! I didn't know it could fall off naturally. It is pretty black now. I will leave it alone and let it do it's thing. Thanks! :D

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Some will basically never fall off - just dry out. Feel free to cut it off.

Ninja PD
Jul 21, 2006
Guys, I haven't even read the first page or really know what sub I'm in right now but is using a hamster cage bottomed with worms and dirt a suitable balcony leaf compost setup? I'm trying to think of a small space alternative to a blower or shredder, do they make giant coffee grinders or something?

\/\/\/ green thumbs up my friend \/\/\/

Ninja PD fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 20, 2015

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Red wigglers are usually the go-to for a worm bin. Lots of resources out there on them. Cornell page is a decent start: http://compost.css.cornell.edu/worms/steps.html Only problem I could see with your scenario is if it's on the balcony you're going to flood it when it rains and drown your worms, unless you're planning to include a top on it. A simple rubbermaid-type container works just as well.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Can anyone identify this succulent? My husband brought one home but there was no tag in the pot so I have no idea as to care.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 20, 2015

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Kalanchoe. Pot into something that drains freely and have at least 50% inorganic media (perlite is a good, cheap choice). Give as much sun as you can.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

unprofessional posted:

Kalanchoe. Pot into something that drains freely and have at least 50% inorganic media (perlite is a good, cheap choice). Give as much sun as you can.

This, but I recommend giving Florist's Kalanchoe a bit of some time in the shade. At least for me, too much sun can burn their leaves.

edit: should specify that it needs a bit of shade if it's outdoors, but if it's inside, sun sun sun. :sun:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 21, 2015

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Thanks guys! Would it be ok in a south-facing window that gets a decent amount of sun during the day? It'll be too cold to put it on my balcony soon.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Southern window is a great choice. Turn it at least weekly, so it doesn't start leaning toward the light.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm looking for a nerdy gardening mag or blog to put in my feed list. By "nerdy" I mean not the ones about pretty gardens, but maybe more about diy greenhouses, scientific background on fertilizers etc. Anyone know something like this?

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
You can't beat http://gardenprofessors.com/ for scientific backed studies/evidence/mythbusting.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

unprofessional posted:

You can't beat http://gardenprofessors.com/ for scientific backed studies/evidence/mythbusting.

Yeah, that's good. Also while googling I discovered Pinterest. Not bad for stuff like that. OTOH I feel old and gay now.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Pinterest is so full of gardening myths, but lots of good landscaping pictures.

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Yeah Pinterest is awesome for storing cooking recipes and picture inspiration, factual gardening info not so much.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Yeah, Pinterest is nice to leaf through, but more often than not a link turns out to be a link to a link to a... it's really annoying. A cool thing I discovered yesterday: a DIY fully automated hydroponic system, using Arduino and Raspberry. That will definitely be my next project. EDIT: Wasn't there a gardening thread in one of the sub-forums at one point?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

midnightclimax posted:

Yeah, Pinterest is nice to leaf through, but more often than not a link turns out to be a link to a link to a... it's really annoying. A cool thing I discovered yesterday: a DIY fully automated hydroponic system, using Arduino and Raspberry. That will definitely be my next project. EDIT: Wasn't there a gardening thread in one of the sub-forums at one point?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Anyone know what plant this is?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
That's some type of succulent, a pretty old one to reach that height.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
amazging, that's what

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

That looks like a truly first-class cristate form of Myrtillocactus geometrizans. Holy crap.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

A few questions about indoor growing.

I have several plants that need to come inside for the winter (a couple of young citrus trees, a pepper plant, maaaybe some basil), however I have two problems. First, I have cats that will eat anything green within reach and second, my windows have a slight UV coating so while I get lots of sun, sun-thirsty plants tend to not do so well.

To solve the cat problem, I bought one of these guys from Ikea. So far the few plants I've had in there all summer have done fine, however they're shade or partial shade plants. Once I introduce a bunch more plants in there, I worry that A) the new plants won't get enough sun, and B) there might not be enough air flow in the cabinet to keep all the plants happy.

Ikea sells a lighting set that fits in the cabinet, but I'm guessing they wouldn't work as grow lights. Does anyone have opinions on an indoor lighting setup that might fit in there? In terms of air flow I'm not sure what to do... would it work to drill out a few holes on the top/bottom and stick a small fan in there to move air around a bit?

If I had my druthers I'd set up a cool grow cabinet in a corner somewhere, but my apartment is small and the girlfriend wouldn't be happy if we had a big ugly box plopped in the middle of a room.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kedo posted:

A few questions about indoor growing.

I have several plants that need to come inside for the winter (a couple of young citrus trees, a pepper plant, maaaybe some basil), however I have two problems. First, I have cats that will eat anything green within reach and second, my windows have a slight UV coating so while I get lots of sun, sun-thirsty plants tend to not do so well.

To solve the cat problem, I bought one of these guys from Ikea. So far the few plants I've had in there all summer have done fine, however they're shade or partial shade plants. Once I introduce a bunch more plants in there, I worry that A) the new plants won't get enough sun, and B) there might not be enough air flow in the cabinet to keep all the plants happy.

Ikea sells a lighting set that fits in the cabinet, but I'm guessing they wouldn't work as grow lights. Does anyone have opinions on an indoor lighting setup that might fit in there? In terms of air flow I'm not sure what to do... would it work to drill out a few holes on the top/bottom and stick a small fan in there to move air around a bit?

If I had my druthers I'd set up a cool grow cabinet in a corner somewhere, but my apartment is small and the girlfriend wouldn't be happy if we had a big ugly box plopped in the middle of a room.

I would buy some 18" T8 fluorescent fixtures and stick some grow bulbs in them. Little 18 inch ones come with a cord already attached along with the ballast and starter, everything you need you need to drive a grow bulb. As for attaching them, maybe some double sided tape? That should be easy to get off the glass later with a window scraper.

Edit: if you really want to get fancy, get an electric timer for them too. Christmas is coming up, so you shouldn't have a hard time finding an outdoor grade one. Make sure to get one with a 3 prong outlet if you need one. Don't forget: you can plug a power strip behind the timer if you need to power several lights. I've done that before with grow lights during the winter when I lived in an apartment.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Oct 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Don't overcomplicate it. A sunny window is going to be your best bet, and a Ssscat will take care of the kitty problem.