Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The process is accelerated for MGSV, because it's just a clone of every other time it's happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

You're joking, right?

The AI does seem to have some random (but not uncommon) vision bugs, but otherwise is a LOT smarter than 3 and 4.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
MGS5 is yet to come. For now, enjoy V.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reason posted:

mgs5 suffers from the same things all open world games suffer from which is a lot of filler to extend the length of the game and a lot of dead space to justify 'open world'.

Pretty much this.

I think Open World games have a lot of problems but what almost always happen is that these problems are criticized only when someone is padding their excuses for disliking a game. In terms of open world problems the worst thing I can say about MGSV is that it lacks covenient fast travel and that it doesn't have a billion collectables, the latter of which might be a positive or negative depending on your mindset.

I think there is some general burnout on open worlds but it's kind of tough because they're still highly demanded, despite the fact there are extremely few games that really benefit from being open world. I can't think of many games where I feel being open world benefits them. Even in the context of MGSV I don't think open-world HELPS the game. You could get the same strengths by having pre-defined smaller areas you visit like Camp Omega in Ground Zeroes. In fact that is how most of the game's missions are, you're locked into a small section of the map.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 13, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Wow.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

CJacobs posted:

You're joking, right?

No. No I'm not.

Guards in MGS 3 could spot you from pretty far away if you weren't properly camoflaged. Same with MGS 4. In V, you can go out using the sneaking suit during the middle of the day and in the open when the camo works better at night, crouch down and a guard will only call an alert within 5 feet and investigate within 10 feet. They don't have good vision ranges.

Edit: I'll say that the AI when they're alerted is good though. Too good, in fact to the point it can be frustrating.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 13, 2015

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much this.

I think Open World games have a lot of problems but what almost always happen is that these problems are criticized only when someone is padding their excuses for disliking a game. In terms of open world problems the worst thing I can say about MGSV is that it lacks covenient fast travel and that it doesn't have a billion collectables, the latter of which might be a positive or negative depending on your mindset.

I think there is some general burnout on open worlds but it's kind of tough because they're still highly demanded, despite the fact there are extremely few games that really benefit from being open world. I can't think of many games where I feel being open world benefits them. Even in the context of MGSV I don't think open-world HELPS the game. You could get the same strengths by having pre-defined smaller areas you visit like Camp Omega in Ground Zeroes. In fact that is how most of the game's missions are, you're locked into a small section of the map.

Eh, I think it does a poor job in being "open", at least in Afghanistan, due to the use of mountains to create a lot of corridors. Coming from Witcher and batman it's pretty noticeable that I can't navigate my way around as I'd like.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

No. No I'm not.

Guards in MGS 3 could spot you from pretty far away if you weren't properly camoflaged. Same with MGS 4. In V, you can go out using the sneaking suit during the middle of the day and in the open when the camo works better at night, crouch down and a guard will only call an alert within 5 feet and investigate within 10 feet. They don't have good vision ranges.

More to do with that they mostly got rid of the pain in the rear end gimmicky camouflage system, I'd say.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty much this.

part of it is the demand is causing game publishers tell the developers to do it open world when they may or may not have wanted to actually do open world and then the game suffers because maybe it would have been better if it hadn't. A lot of developer time is then spent on making large areas and filler stuff so that they don't feel empty and then less time can be spent on developing a narrative and finishing the story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

No. No I'm not.

Edit: I'll say that the AI when they're alerted is good though. Too good, in fact to the point it can be frustrating.

Guards have vision levels. Higher-level guards respond a lot differently than lower level guards, including having larger vision ranges.

Zachack posted:

Eh, I think it does a poor job in being "open", at least in Afghanistan, due to the use of mountains to create a lot of corridors. Coming from Witcher and batman it's pretty noticeable that I can't navigate my way around as I'd like.

Well, even if it was open that wouldn't change anything. The game is structured (as the vast majority of these games are) as interesting areas surrounded by empty space. Even if mountains were more traversable (which I don't think would be a bad thing) it wouldn't change much.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Deakul posted:

More to do with that they mostly got rid of the pain in the rear end gimmicky camouflage system, I'd say.

They didn't though? You still pick your camo before each mission, instead of going into a menu every time or having it change dynamically like in MGS 4.

ImpAtom posted:

Guards have vision levels. Higher-level guards respond a lot differently than lower level guards, including having larger vision ranges.

I get that, but lower level guards shouldn't be practically blind like MGS 1 guards.

Re: Open world chat, I'd have preferred it if the game had levels instead of an open world, but the levels were designed non-linearly. So you could pick a point to deploy and how you get through that outpost is up to you, whether it's sneaking through ducts, going across rooftops, charging in etc. The open world doesn't really do much for the game, but having freedom of infiltration choices the game gives you is pretty good. Thinking kind of along the lines of Deus Ex, or the Marine briefing in the Tanker section of MGS 2 or even how Camp Omega did it in Ground Zeroes.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 13, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

They didn't though? You still pick your camo before each mission, instead of going into a menu every time or having it change dynamically like in MGS 4.

I get that, but lower level guards shouldn't be practically blind like MGS 1 guards.

Sure, you pick your camo but I don't really think it does much anymore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The camo system is in but matters a lot less than stance and positioning. Camo ends up being something like +10/-10 to the vision index tops.

quote:

They were in MGS3 too. Especially early game it was utterly trivial to avoid guards and honestly one of the most effective tactics was just running around CQC-slamming them.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
MGSV is a game that is comfortable with space, which considering what a loving mess ubisoft/WB games have turned into, regurgitating icons all over the map, is a good thing.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What do Marc Laidlaw and Erik Wolpaw do all day, they certainly haven't had to write any story or dialogue for games for half a decade
Marc: Dota 2 dialogue/lore/etc., Twitter-based fanfics of his own games, answering emails, and Mysterious Unannounced Projects Hmm I Wonder What They Could Be.

Erik: Dota 2 dialogue/lore/etc., the Team Fortress comics and dialogue, the Portal VR demo and begging Naughty Dog for a job writing The Last Of Us 2.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
So, apparently when Steam/Firaxis fixed the Australian price of XCOM 2 they also decided to bump it up to 80$ CDN when it was only $60 before.

Thanks for making it easier for me to wait for a 50% off sale.

EDIT: \/ Yeah, I checked the price history on SteamDB. I was mistaken.

Can you believe they want 60 EUROS for it? Firaxis/2K are being greedy shits (it's around 63$ CAD at GMG with the current 25% off code, btw)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 13, 2015

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

So, apparently when Steam/Firaxis fixed the Australian price of XCOM 2 they also decided to bump it up to 80$ CDN when it was only $60 before.

It was definitely $80 CAD for me right from the start, I even have a post in this very thread about me complaining about it

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Endrion posted:

There are actually some decent deals on this weekend and I have disposable income, so it's time for another round of "Is it any good?". I have heard a lot of reasonably good things about DB:Xenoverse, chiefly in the "It embraces its stupid" kind of way, and have been itching for a decent fighterlike, so question one is, from those who have played it, does it live up to the hype?
Question 2... I'm not even going to bother asking if Witcher 3 is decent, I know it would be right up my alley. Unfortunately, I didn't have any cash when it was first out or last reasonably on sale, so Instead, a slightly stupider question. I can run things like Phantom Pain with absolutely no issue, but most of the benchmarking things I've tried say I shouldn't be able to run this. I know it's meant to be pretty demanding on the old gpu, but knowing I can manage Pahntom Pain, AC Unity, etc... would I be able to manage it? I don't want super graphics, I just want "Works".

What GPU are you running? I am using a GTX 660 and never drop below 60 fps with everything on high. It seems to be a pretty well optimized system. With everything on low the game still looks pretty good, so I imagine you will be happy regardless if you meet the minimum requirements.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Deakul posted:

Sure, you pick your camo but I don't really think it does much anymore.

Good camo was never all that essential anyway, the best way to avoid being seen is and alwayw was to simply stay out of vision cones

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

So this is the thread to have a reasonable discussion about MGS 5 in then?

Yeah, it's pretty much just an OK game with ridiculous amounts of really transparent repetition from an early point and the open world is largely pointless because each of the two maps has like 6 bases that you end up doing multiple missions in.

Also, the AI is either completely retarded and ignores you until you are 5 feet from their face or pinpoint accurate from 100 feet away.

Also, the servers haven't worked consistently since day one but apparently that's OK because: METAL GEAR :neckbeard:

spudsbuckley fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 13, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ragequit posted:

What GPU are you running? I am using a GTX 660 and never drop below 60 fps with everything on high. It seems to be a pretty well optimized system. With everything on low the game still looks pretty good, so I imagine you will be happy regardless if you meet the minimum requirements.

I've got an online buddy playing Witcher 3 on a 450 GTX. It runs okay for him on medium settings, except Novagrad is a slideshow.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

EDIT: \/ Yeah, I checked the price history on SteamDB. I was mistaken.

Can you believe they want 60 EUROS for it? Firaxis/2K are being greedy shits (it's around 63$ CAD at GMG with the current 25% off code, btw)
I'll just do what I did with the first game, buy it as a physical disc and pay around 20 Euro less for it compared to buying it straight from Steam. High level of economy at work here people!

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
Is Plague Inc more or less feature-complete at this point, the singleplayer at least? The game seems extremely popular and well-reviewed, there's hordes of mods and guides up, it has over a hundred achievements and playing cards, and seems to have been in Early Access for more than a year and a half. I've wanted to play it for a really long time but I don't like playing incomplete games.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

prussian advisor posted:

Is Plague Inc more or less feature-complete at this point, the singleplayer at least? The game seems extremely popular and well-reviewed, there's hordes of mods and guides up, it has over a hundred achievements and playing cards, and seems to have been in Early Access for more than a year and a half. I've wanted to play it for a really long time but I don't like playing incomplete games.

Didn't that turn into a horrible micro-transaction laden piece of poo poo phone-game or am i thinking of something that ripped off the idea?

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

spudsbuckley posted:

Didn't that turn into a horrible micro-transaction laden piece of poo poo phone-game or am i thinking of something that ripped off the idea?

I think that's a different game that ripped off this one. This is the one on Steam. Plague Inc: Evolved.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Plague inc is a micro transaction-laden phone game that got turned into a steam title.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

spudsbuckley posted:

Also, the servers haven't worked consistently since day one but apparently that's OK because: METAL GEAR :neckbeard:

I haven't seen a single person defend the lovely online connectivity though :confused:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqoeVm5fZuQ

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

I haven't seen a single person defend the lovely online connectivity though :confused:

They just barely mention it instead.

If this was any other franchise/a new IP it would be eating a yard of poo poo for its shortcomings and would be consigned to the "pick up on Steam/PSN for a couple of bucks in a sale in a years time" category.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

spudsbuckley posted:

They just barely mention it instead.

Being a person who also reads the MGS 5 thread I can safely say you are very wrong. Most of the talk I've read in regards to the online base-raiding is that it is poorly balanced and barely works connectivity-wise.

Orv
May 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Hey they don't have to be right, they just have to be bad enough dudes to hate the cool new game.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

prussian advisor posted:

Don't know about the Steam version, but the iOS version was $1 and all the microtransactions just gave you all the diseases from the get-go instead of unlocking them as you played. Oh and I think there were some challenge mode DLC options, but nothing that you really needed to have. Unless they completely botched the Steam release, I thought the iOS version was a drat good game and a steal at $1.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
EH, a lot of the criticism for MGS5 honestly rings true. The missions are somewhat repetitive, the environments are generic, and there's a lot of weird design decisions, like the resource costs for deployment, and the many hours-long research and build times.

It's still a good game that you can easily sink a hundred hours into.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 13, 2015

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CJacobs posted:

Being a person who also reads the MGS 5 thread I can safely say you are very wrong. Most of the talk I've read in regards to the online base-raiding is that it is poorly balanced and barely works.

I'm not reading every single post but the couple of times i have seen it mentioned it's been "Gee shucks, pity about the awful servers. Oh well, let me write paragraph upon paragraph to tell you about a thing i did that could be achieved in any number of other open world games. Also, here's a terrible fan theory to make an excuse for a lovely game mechanic that someone brought up earlier"

I like the MGS series and played and enjoyed all the other games and really liked Ground Zeros because of the tight focus due to there being a relatively small well-crafted area to work in.

Phantom Pain is just a bloated, repetitive, tour-de-force in shonky game design.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Endrion posted:

There are actually some decent deals on this weekend and I have disposable income, so it's time for another round of "Is it any good?". I have heard a lot of reasonably good things about DB:Xenoverse, chiefly in the "It embraces its stupid" kind of way, and have been itching for a decent fighterlike, so question one is, from those who have played it, does it live up to the hype?
Question 2... I'm not even going to bother asking if Witcher 3 is decent, I know it would be right up my alley. Unfortunately, I didn't have any cash when it was first out or last reasonably on sale, so Instead, a slightly stupider question. I can run things like Phantom Pain with absolutely no issue, but most of the benchmarking things I've tried say I shouldn't be able to run this. I know it's meant to be pretty demanding on the old gpu, but knowing I can manage Pahntom Pain, AC Unity, etc... would I be able to manage it? I don't want super graphics, I just want "Works".

XCOM Complete and Saints Row 3+4 are great.

Just say what your GPU and stuff is? It would need to be a high end Nvidia 400/500 or a middling 600/700.
AC Unity should be in the same ballpark.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Kins posted:

Marc: Dota 2 dialogue/lore/etc., Twitter-based fanfics of his own games, answering emails, and Mysterious Unannounced Projects Hmm I Wonder What They Could Be.

Erik: Dota 2 dialogue/lore/etc., the Team Fortress comics and dialogue, the Portal VR demo and begging Naughty Dog for a job writing The Last Of Us 2.

Wow, I was going to make a joke about the importance and difficulty of Dota 2 lore in my earlier post, but... that seems like a waste.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

spudsbuckley posted:

I'm not reading every single post but the couple of times i have seen it mentioned it's been "Gee shucks, pity about the awful servers. Oh well, let me write paragraph upon paragraph to tell you about a thing i did that could be achieved in any number of other open world games. Also, here's a terrible fan theory to make an excuse for a lovely game mechanic that someone brought up earlier"

I like the MGS series and played and enjoyed all the other games and really liked Ground Zeros because of the tight focus due to there being a relatively small well-crafted area to work in.

Phantom Pain is just a bloated, repetitive, tour-de-force in shonky game design.

Not sure what part of MGS is shonky game design aside from all the clearly tacked-on multiplay/microtransaction/daily reward bullshit that I'm sure was forced on them by Konami. Most of the criticisms of gameplay I'm seeing on line are outrage that it isn't just "walk down this 5 minute hallway to trigger an hour long cutscene about technobabble" like MGS4 was.

Endrion
Feb 28, 2006
We love Friend Computer!

Ragequit posted:

I'm running a GTX 750, hence the confusion. There are things that, as of late, a lot of benchmarking sites and software say I should have no business running, but I still pull off. MGS5 being my best example, runs like butter at medium to high. Everything else on this rig is reasonably hefty, no shortage of disk space, ram, etc.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Not Steam but since this is the de facto pc gaming thread: has there been much activity for Rainbow Six: Siege? It seems like it might be cool when I briefly tried it before but it has flown almost entirely under the radar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I've been playing Shadow of Mordor.

I'm a little confused. There's one warchief or captain or whatever he is that keeps coming back. I've killed him FOUR times, according to the runes I've collected from his dead body, but I'll be swanning around doing something light and suddenly he'll appear over a hill. His bio says he has a burning hatred for me.

But is that enough to bring someone back to life? Also why is he coming back to life.

• Locked thread