Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I have begun to watch this show because I liked Angel so I'm hopping back on the Tim Minnear train. And what do I find but a handsome young man with gelled hair driving a classic car wearing a fabric version of Angel's coat out killing demons, cracking wise. So safe to say that I really like it so far.

My question is, is there a crapulence point at which point one should stop watching before it goes south? Like a Battlestar Galactica sort of thing where it becomes an unfun chore? I'd like to know when to hop off the bandwagon just prior to that point if there is one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The series is incredible until season 5 since that is where originally was meant to end. The newer seasons aren't horrible but have more misses than hits.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it never hits Dexter levels of badness but the later seasons don't quite hit the high notes of the earlier ones. I still enjoyed the whole ride, but I felt the lowest point was the first half of season 6 (as mentioned above, just after the originally planned ending), they introduced a bunch of new poo poo and changed up the dynamic but a while after they just went *gently caress this*, flew poochie back to his home planet and never mentioned any of that stuff again.
Definitely don't give up on it at this point though, there is still a lot of cool poo poo from season 6.5 to 9.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Funny that you said "Poochie" because I was just thinking that this show might run so long that it becomes the Simpsons of its genre; good but not great especially when compared to itself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

shadow puppet of a posted:

I have begun to watch this show because I liked Angel so I'm hopping back on the Tim Minnear train.

You may want to hop off again. Tim "loving" Minear has never worked on Supernatural.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Red Queen posted:

Funny that you said "Poochie" because I was just thinking that this show might run so long that it becomes the Simpsons of its genre; good but not great especially when compared to itself.

I'd say it's already hit that point. It's more like the X-Files of its genre, where its strengths are the standalone episodes and the running mythology is utter poo poo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Racist Truck was in the first season. The quality of the show has always been variable, and I don't think it has fallen off much over the years.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

raditts posted:

I'd say it's already hit that point. It's more like the X-Files of its genre, where its strengths are the standalone episodes and the running mythology is utter poo poo.

Running mythology was good when building up to the Apocalypse, but after that, it ceased to matter at all.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Who was Poochie?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darko posted:

Running mythology was good when building up to the Apocalypse, but after that, it ceased to matter at all.

Even then not really because the story arc in season 4 was just "Angels are massive dicks".

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IrJa7ufp0o

:suspense:

That looked like something out of Hellraiser

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
awwww it looks like there'll be more of evil!Castiel bullshit; I hated that.......

az
Dec 2, 2005

Can't have a supernatural season without one of the three boys going bad man, maybe we'll even get two this season.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Astrofig posted:

awwww it looks like there'll be more of evil!Castiel bullshit; I hated that.......

Honestly it might do some good. One of the weaknesses of the past few seasons is that you have 2-3 plot arcs that don't really mesh with each other that well (and the Angels are always one of them). Focusing mainly on Sam & Dean for a while would do wonders.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think season 9 was outright poo poo and season 10 was limping along with a lot of stupid poo poo. Quality definitely fell off hard at the mid point.

Might feel this way more so as a netflix binger. The last finale was so loving stupid.

PS: Killing Bobby was the dumbest thing the show ever did. Literally the only character that tethered any of it. Most shows have something to fill the void when they axe main characters, but nope, just a big gaping hole here. Also if they keep one more secret for no reason I am going to start rooting for them to die, die horribly.

Oh yeah, one last thing. If you don't think there's a quality drop-off, hell went from being mysterious and uber-powerful and hellraiser to what looks like the wine cellar of a cheap club where everyone is using Microsoft Surface tablets and they seriously turn people into mice like it's loving Looney Toons. It's gotten muuuuuuuuch worse.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 13, 2015

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Holy poo poo

*RIIIIIIIIIIIIING*
"Ghostbusters"
:allears:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I don't care, I love this loving show. I hope it goes as long as Gunsmoke.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blazing Ownager posted:

Oh yeah, one last thing. If you don't think there's a quality drop-off, hell went from being mysterious and uber-powerful and hellraiser to what looks like the wine cellar of a cheap club where everyone is using Microsoft Surface tablets and they seriously turn people into mice like it's loving Looney Toons. It's gotten muuuuuuuuch worse.

Made a great joke the first time they showed it though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWkkxgRi3fE

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

shadow puppet of a posted:

My question is, is there a crapulence point at which point one should stop watching before it goes south? Like a Battlestar Galactica sort of thing where it becomes an unfun chore? I'd like to know when to hop off the bandwagon just prior to that point if there is one.
Season 7 of this show was probably the...man, I know it's ridic hyperbolic to say "worst season of any show I've ever watched," but off the top of my head I honestly can't think of anything I disliked more. It hurt so bad I've yet to return. And based on what I've read of seasons 8-10, I doubt I ever will.

(For comparison: the first five Seasons of Supernatural were some of the coolest, most entertaining, well-written, well-produced seasons I've seen on any series. There's a certain tolerance for schlock and camp that you have to have to really get into it, but it's not so bad if you've already gone through shows like Buffy or Angel. I would go as far as to say that the emotional stakes and compelling atmosphere got to even higher and more engaging points than either of those shows.)

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Season 7 of this show was probably the...man, I know it's ridic hyperbolic to say "worst season of any show I've ever watched," but off the top of my head I honestly can't think of anything I disliked more. It hurt so bad I've yet to return. And based on what I've read of seasons 8-10, I doubt I ever will.
No way; 2 through 5 are easily the best, and 6 was an embarrassment, but 7 was this stupid/ridiculous/stupidiculous show about two guys beatin' the poo poo out of some toothmonsters who just wanna eat all humans is that so wrong, led by a dude named Dick. It was fuckin' incredible for so many reasons, not least of which being a super huge amount of dick jokes and self aware puns. It felt like an apology for S6, honestly; it would have fit right in with Buffy/Angel. I really appreciated it just having a big bad that wasn't "oh demons again/ruh roh more jerk angels."

Plus, the James Masters/Charisma Carpenter episode, where the boys learned the lesson of "holy poo poo just walk away" was a fuckin' delight, yo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GreenNight posted:

Yeah I don't care, I love this loving show. I hope it goes as long as Gunsmoke.

It's a nice thought, but I really don't want to see Jenson coming back for a 40th anniversary TV movie.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Eh, Dean will be the king of hell by that point.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Whalley posted:

it would have fit right in with Buffy/Angel.
This was, like, half the problem. SPN wasn't Buffy or Angel. It didn't operate on those wavelengths. And vice versa, because a lot of the whimsy and self-awareness of previous SPN seasons -- like with Chuck or Gabriel or "The French Mistake" -- would've felt out of place in the Whedonverse as well. And that's even just regarding tone, not setting. Pre-s7 SPN could only be deemed "urban fantasy" in a loose sense, where it mostly just partook of small town folklore and trendy horror pastiches. That sort of setting simply doesn't support the "literal as figurative" Whedonverse approach very well, where you have real live demons as politicians and actual ghost roommates and literal vampire unions and all that whatnot you can get away with in urban fantasy. Setting up prehistoric mythic horrors up as corporate business moguls running for office on SPN was already a mistake; setting the Winchesters against them was like...I dunno, like having the cast of Walking Dead go to war against Umbrella Corp for some reason. Sure, it could've been awesome, but mostly it's like the showrunners had forgotten what show they were actually making

And that episode where Spike and Cordelia showed up exemplified yet another one of the problems that the show kept stacking on top of itself, like some kind of Bad TV Jenga, wherein these two deadly renowned hunters just got more and more inept and bumbling as time went on and kept getting caught with their pants down -- mostly not literally -- and punked by monsters (and ghosts) (and demons) (and witches) (and other hunters) (and everything else) that they shouldn't be getting punked by at this point.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 13, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
You say they are completely different yet they have had some of the same writers. The Whendonverse had a bunch of episodes that were funny.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

You say they are completely different yet they have had some of the same writers. The Whendonverse had a bunch of episodes that were funny.
What does this have to do with tone or setting or story or...anything, really? Park and Rec is also funny, but I don't think it's like Supernatural. Joss Whedon wrote both Buffy and Dollhouse, but I don't expect anyone in Dollhouse to start practicing witchcraft.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BrianWilly posted:

What does this have to do with tone or setting or story or...anything, really? Park and Rec is also funny, but I don't think it's like Supernatural. Joss Whedon wrote both Buffy and Dollhouse, but I don't expect anyone in Dollhouse to start practicing witchcraft.

I was saying that I could have seen some of the Angel season 5 episodes working in Supernatural. That them fighting evil puppets or luchadores who fight evil would not be out of place.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Whalley posted:

No way; 2 through 5 are easily the best, and 6 was an embarrassment, but 7 was this stupid/ridiculous/stupidiculous show about two guys beatin' the poo poo out of some toothmonsters who just wanna eat all humans is that so wrong, led by a dude named Dick. It was fuckin' incredible for so many reasons, not least of which being a super huge amount of dick jokes and self aware puns. It felt like an apology for S6, honestly; it would have fit right in with Buffy/Angel. I really appreciated it just having a big bad that wasn't "oh demons again/ruh roh more jerk angels."

Plus, the James Masters/Charisma Carpenter episode, where the boys learned the lesson of "holy poo poo just walk away" was a fuckin' delight, yo.

I would not put "is a 22-episode running dick joke" in the plus column for season 7, but I guess we're just going to have to respect our differences on that one.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Holy poo poo

"The Darkness...terrible name by the way"

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

ultramiraculous posted:

"The Darkness...terrible name by the way"

What if Charley Murphy is a special guest star?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mad Dragon posted:

What if Charley Murphy is a special guest star?

This is them beginning their crossover with Top Cow comics. Witchblade will appear to save their butts later in the season.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

This was, like, half the problem. SPN wasn't Buffy or Angel. It didn't operate on those wavelengths. And vice versa, because a lot of the whimsy and self-awareness of previous SPN seasons -- like with Chuck or Gabriel or "The French Mistake" -- would've felt out of place in the Whedonverse as well. And that's even just regarding tone, not setting. Pre-s7 SPN could only be deemed "urban fantasy" in a loose sense, where it mostly just partook of small town folklore and trendy horror pastiches. That sort of setting simply doesn't support the "literal as figurative" Whedonverse approach very well, where you have real live demons as politicians and actual ghost roommates and literal vampire unions and all that whatnot you can get away with in urban fantasy. Setting up prehistoric mythic horrors up as corporate business moguls running for office on SPN was already a mistake; setting the Winchesters against them was like...I dunno, like having the cast of Walking Dead go to war against Umbrella Corp for some reason. Sure, it could've been awesome, but mostly it's like the showrunners had forgotten what show they were actually making
Thing was, Season 5 ended Supernatural. Like, that was a perfect end to everything in the show; the entire mythos was wrapped up, everything was done, everything was over. It was good. Where do you go with "supernatural bounty hunter urban fantasy rednecks" after they've beaten the devil? It's why 6 felt so stupidly off to me; sure, Dean got his happy ending, and Sam got to not be such a cinnamon roll, but we weren't watching the show to get a happy ending and "it's sam but now he's meeaaan" and "dean misses his boo." It was the writers trying to capture a tone that wouldn't fit any more, because that tone doesn't work when y'all just kicked Satan's rear end. 7 was this attempt to create a new vibe, a new feeling; it was about two cocky guys who can kinda smartmouth anything they want because they beat the devil but oh poo poo it turns out they kinda just got lucky with all that. Supernatural's always been urban fantasy; it's just been urban fantasy populated by rednecks with hearts of gold. 7 tried to shake things up a bit from "what if angels were actually jerks again" and "wouldn't it be rough if one of the brothers had to die to save the other" and just had them get put back on their own level with a few more jokes than usual.

Plus, it had all the poo poo that went down with Bobby, which was fuckin' heartbreaking and I don't care how pandering it was, it got to me and was amazing/awful.

raditts posted:

I would not put "is a 22-episode running dick joke" in the plus column for season 7, but I guess we're just going to have to respect our differences on that one.
Two or three episodes in a row, funny. Ten in a row, boring. Twenty goddamn two episodes brings it back to being absolutely ludicrous, which was what I fuckin' loved about S7.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I liked the scene where Sam shot his new werewolf girlfriend to the strains of Queensrÿche.

I mean, I didn't enjoy that part but that it was good doleful tv.

Also,

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Silent Lucidity :black101:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Mercedes McNabb cast as a hapless low-rank vampire?!? The world is a good and wonderful place.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
FINALLY THEY ARE GOING TO USE THE loving GRENADE LAUNCHER THEY HAVE HAD IN BABY FOR THE LAST 11 YEARS.

GOD drat IT'S ABOUT TIME.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

It misfires because it hasn't been used since they were babies.

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009
It's actually a baby launcher, not a grenade launcher

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
It's a T-shirt cannon that fires these:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Fun fact: It's legal to own a grenade launcher, but not frag grenades.

It'd be hilarious if the reason nobody's ever used it is they can't find any explosive grenades for it. Smoke grenades are the only legal kind. Well, and flare grenades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Blazing Ownager posted:

Fun fact: It's legal to own a grenade launcher, but not frag grenades.

It'd be hilarious if the reason nobody's ever used it is they can't find any explosive grenades for it. Smoke grenades are the only legal kind. Well, and flare grenades.
It's legal to own explosive ammunition for a grenade launcher. The only problem is the $200 tax on each individual round and the ATF-approved explosives storage locker. Something tells me the Winchester's don't really care about the National Firearms Act of 1934 or any other law for that matter. :shrug: