Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Julio Cruz posted:

Are any of those numbers sourced? 70% of UK adults sounds way too high a number to have watched even one of those series. Plus the Beeb are being a bit disingenuous putting up multiple seasons of Sherlock up against House of Cards, which has more episodes in one season than Sherlock does in all three.

They've cited the hours of TV they put out on that budget and obviously the 72% is the total viewership of all series achieved on that budget given that this is not the 1970s and you will not get 72% of British adults to watch any single given thing

After 12 solid years of tremendous political pressure the BBC is up against the wall enough that I don't begrudge them a little propagandising although I guess they should have cut that comparison if it's really got people rallying around loving Netflix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

They should have just compared themselves to Sky instead. I mean even if the comparison was grossly unfair, I wouldn't care because its Sky.

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!

Gorn Myson posted:

They should have just compared themselves to Sky instead. I mean even if the comparison was grossly unfair, I wouldn't care because its Sky.

What, and then incense the Murdoch empire to such an extent that the sun and the times will carry out hatchet jobs, character assassinations and daily pieces of editorial butchery in order to make it their mission the BBC gets disbanded?

Not a sensible strategy I'm afraid.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

netally posted:

What an obnoxious tweet. The Beeb does many things well, but drama isn't their strong point. Oh hey, it's season 500 of Doctor Who and another loving adaption of a classic novel for bored housewives. Netflix is half the price, and seems to take way more risks, so there's always interesting content.

Out of the ones on there I recognise, Line Of Duty, Happy Valley, Luther, Marvellous, The Honourable Woman and The Fall are at least above average, if not actually great. . Surprised they didn't include The Casual Vacancy either

It's very easy to fall in with the idea of "all British drama is poo poo, why can't we have good stuff like on HBO" bandwagon, but the truth there are good things still being made, just as much as there is generic Saturday night nonsense like The Musketeers and Atlantis.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
Channel 5 has a new series: Special Needs Hotel.

I'm sure it'll be a fascinating social experiment that gives real benefit to the lives of the subjects, and not just an excuse to exploit the disabled.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

CydonianKnight posted:

What, and then incense the Murdoch empire to such an extent that the sun and the times will carry out hatchet jobs, character assassinations and daily pieces of editorial butchery in order to make it their mission the BBC gets disbanded?

Not a sensible strategy I'm afraid.
They've been already been doing that for decades.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

netally posted:

Channel 5 has a new series: Special Needs Hotel.

I'm sure it'll be a fascinating social experiment that gives real benefit to the lives of the subjects, and not just an excuse to exploit the disabled.
I wonder if they have a dumb waiter.

AHAHAHAHAH

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Beeb would be much better served making a big deal out of how much better they are than ITV, C4 and 5 put together.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders
Does sponsorship, like on X-Factor (with the dancing people and their skype faces), have to fit in the 3 minute advertising break window, or is it allowed to eat into actual programme content, by stealth?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Isn't that what the Product Placing advisory thingy's there for?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

Isn't that what the Product Placing advisory thingy's there for?

That's the Big Product Placement P. The means Dev will be waving around a packet of HobNobs in his corner shop in Corrie. X-Factor is sponsored by Talk Talk (again, I think). They have these ad buffers of people pissing about in parks, with superimposed faces of viewers at home. I wanna know if that eats into ad time or into programme time. A lot of guys on here seem to know what's what about tele.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Anyway watch Hunted?

Why would you do a penis size search without clearing your history?

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Geokinesis posted:

Anyway watch Hunted?

That was amazingly dumb. Surely the first thing you'd do before going on the run would be delete your loving internet history?

Of course you probably wouldn't also have a dude with a TV camera following you at all times, that basically sank the plausibility of the whole concept from the get-go.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Next week's bake off looks interesting. Nadiya is really going to have to sort things out if she wants to stay in though. :(

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Castle Radium posted:

That was amazingly dumb. Surely the first thing you'd do before going on the run would be delete your loving internet history?

Of course you probably wouldn't also have a dude with a TV camera following you at all times, that basically sank the plausibility of the whole concept from the get-go.

It seems more electronically hunted yeah, unless they do anything more with the Dr in the next one.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Has anyone seen Cradle to Grave on BBC2? I never thought anyone could do a more cringey cockney than Dick Van Dyke, but Peter Kay manages it.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

Angrymog posted:

Next week's bake off looks interesting. Nadiya is really going to have to sort things out if she wants to stay in though. :(

They're going a bit too hard on the gimmicks this season, I just want to see some top quality baking instead of adding random difficulties (outside of technical) imo

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The technical challenges are also getting pretty drat obscure with deliberately obtuse instructions. They probably just all end up copying each other anyway.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Geokinesis posted:

Anyway watch Hunted?

Needed more Interceptor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSfr7rlGg48

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Geokinesis posted:

Anyway watch Hunted?

I couldn't believe how stupid some of the people were. The woman who kept trying to call her mum/son and wanted to go and see him, for christ's sake. And the other women who didn't take all their money out at once, used an ATM a few days later and immediately revealed their exact location to the hunters. Dumb.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

smackfu posted:

The technical challenges are also getting pretty drat obscure with deliberately obtuse instructions. They probably just all end up copying each other anyway.

It is quite weird how many of them are like "well what's everyone else doing". This is the first time I've watched a series that isn't a celebrity/red nose one though...

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Taear posted:

It is quite weird how many of them are like "well what's everyone else doing". This is the first time I've watched a series that isn't a celebrity/red nose one though...

I guess the problem is the bakers will have watched previous series and swotted up on staples so they need to keep finding things that are a challenge to the bakers and new to the viewers.

RE: X Factor Sponsorship, Sponsorship bumpers are supposed to sit separately from advertising and from the content of the show. That said, I don't think they count towards advertising minutes as they're strictly speaking not allowed to include calls to action or promotional references and thus aren't counted as adverts.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Crowing over how there's some totally obscure trick to getting them right, that they've not explained is new for this series, and I blame BBC1.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Was it on 2 before?

I guess once they've picked their bakers they tell them what the Signature and Showstopper dishes are so a few weeks in advance so that they can practice since they almost always mention how it came out fine at home, but over how many days does the actual filming take place?

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Angrymog posted:

Was it on 2 before?

I guess once they've picked their bakers they tell them what the Signature and Showstopper dishes are so a few weeks in advance so that they can practice since they almost always mention how it came out fine at home, but over how many days does the actual filming take place?

I think each episode takes place over a weekend. They do get the dishes in advance.

The big problem is that the bakers get progressively more skilled from series to series. This is from the finale of series 1 - the cupcakes are way less involved than anything that happens now. The series 1 technicals were: victoria sponge, scones, cobs, lemon souffle, and cornish pasties - all things that people will have heard of.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Angrymog posted:

Was it on 2 before?

Each episode is filmed over a weekend. The Signature and Technical on the first day, the Showstopper on the second. The contestants who were students from previous years have mentioned how bloody hard it was to do; having baking contests over the weekends and then studying and sitting their end of year exams during the week.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
What was the name of that TV show which opened with a guy walking up out of a tube station and yelling "up the revolution"?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Citizen Smith.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
That's it, thanks.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

This Is England 90 was pretty enjoyable. Woody's phone call with his mum and dad felt like a lot of calls I've had with my parents. Everyone seems to be having too much of a good time so I'm sure some horrible poo poo will happen as the series goes on. Glad its back though.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Bogmonster posted:

This Is England 90 was pretty enjoyable. Woody's phone call with his mum and dad felt like a lot of calls I've had with my parents. Everyone seems to be having too much of a good time so I'm sure some horrible poo poo will happen as the series goes on. Glad its back though.

I liked it, nothing happened at all, dialogue was spot on and funny though. Also lol @ obligatory Shane Meadows piano instrumental while characters are emotionall scene.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Paperhouse posted:

I couldn't believe how stupid some of the people were. The woman who kept trying to call her mum/son and wanted to go and see him, for christ's sake.

Just sat down and watched this. My god, if I was the one having to run away with that blonde woman, I would push her in the lake and go off on my own. What a loving idiot.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

My TiE90 review:

Harvey :swoon:

But yeah, too happy. Combo is making an appearance next week, so he'll sort it out.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

Taear posted:

There was one technical challenge where everyone somehow wrongly assumed they should cook it in a bain marie. They just copy like the guy next to them like a swarm of starlings.

reality_groove posted:

RE: X Factor Sponsorship, Sponsorship bumpers are supposed to sit separately from advertising and from the content of the show. That said, I don't think they count towards advertising minutes as they're strictly speaking not allowed to include calls to action or promotional references and thus aren't counted as adverts.

Very interesting, thank you.

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I liked it, nothing happened at all, dialogue was spot on and funny though. Also lol @ obligatory Shane Meadows piano instrumental while characters are emotionall scene.

Mr Squires hiding in the cupboard was excellent.

Was the one out of Skins and Game of Thrones in previous seasons?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Padje posted:

Mr Squires hiding in the cupboard was excellent.

I'm pretty sure #sniffbanging ended up trending on twitter during the show too.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Padje posted:

Was the one out of Skins and Game of Thrones in previous seasons?

Him and his mate (Flip?) were in '86 as the scooter casuals, not sure about the film though.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Shane Meadows is class, and '90 is my favourite so far. The way every scene is shot, and the fact that they're almost entirely ad-libbed, makes great watching. The wrestling on telly with the Happy Mondays on in the background is just fantastic.

You just know it'll get much darker after episode one.

Edit:I used to dress like that.

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 16, 2015

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I ended up rewatching it, I'm so in love with Joe Gilgun. Plz give Woody and Lol a happy ending

Like gadget right Leeds dad?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Like all of them, at various points throughout the (early) '90s, Taff.

(I still wear some jackets and polo shirts that were 'in' in 1990)

stickyfngrdboy fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Saw the Beeb tweet this earlier, and it's now going to be my go to image as to why they rub me the wrong way these days.

https://twitter.com/aboutthebbc/status/641179434951819264

I've not seen HoC on Netflix and I've heard mixed responses after the first two seasons but, really? That's how you're going to try win me over? Someone pointed out in the comments that they've listed Sherlock twice so it's the usual level of BBC's infamous accuracy in reporting. I'm going to guess most of the BBC dramas still mostly look like the same drab video that they've always done, with each one having a different colour tint preset used in FCPX to distinguish each one and give it 'style'.

They also seem to forget that if I don't buy Netflix, I don't get nasty letters and a bloke turning up from The Internet demanding to see if I have a cable modem or not.

I watched both Happy Valley and The Fall on Netflix funnily enough.

While I think the BBC is a good thing. They're in desperate need of an overhaul, from top to bottom. They need better directors who are not adhering to the in-house style of overly lit, soap opera looking programmes. Say what you want about Channel 4, but the show dictates the look. And while BBC do actually do that sometimes, more often than not it's just all very flat looking (Sherlock and Dr Who, their biggest exports, are terrible for this).

I know a few people that work for the beeb, and none of them have particularly good stories to tell.