Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Panzeh posted:

I wasn't advocating cutting anything gameplay wise, but actually the part of the plot that doesn't matter.

I think there are some missions in Chapter 1 and definitely Chapter 2 that didn't really need to be Main Missions (and a couple side ops that probably shouldn't have been Side Ops), so I can understand that sentiment. There have been a surprising number of people (more in the non-spoiler thread than here, to be fair) saying that they'd wished Kojima stopped adding new gameplay features / elements and focused on the story instead. I think that would be a valid argument if the game's features felt bloated or anything, but I dunno. It's sad to see people basically start hating the game after 60+ hours of enjoying its gameplay just because some story content got cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

It will be interesting in interviews to come if this is actually intended to be a sort of meta-phantom pain. You can tell there's supposed to be more to chapter 2, but that's all that's there and we have to deal with it.

EDIT: really, all the cut content and the like just fits with the theme of the game too well. I wouldn't be surprised if the truncated chapter 2 is exactly as intended.

Please stop with crap like this. There's no overarching metaphor or grand scheme in play and it's honestly getting embarrassing to see people clinging to theories that there were. KojiPro got screwed and had to cut poo poo for time, like nearly every other big-name developer around today. The End.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I think there are some missions in Chapter 1 and definitely Chapter 2 that didn't really need to be Main Missions (and a couple side ops that probably shouldn't have been Side Ops), so I can understand that sentiment. There have been a surprising number of people (more in the non-spoiler thread than here, to be fair) saying that they'd wished Kojima stopped adding new gameplay features / elements and focused on the story instead. I think that would be a valid argument if the game's features felt bloated or anything, but I dunno. It's sad to see people basically start hating the game after 60+ hours of enjoying its gameplay just because some story content got cut.

It just seems like half of chapter 2 is missing if not more, and the chapter 3 titled card make things even worse. Non-story stuff took a hit too : no motherbase customization beyond set upgrades, motherbase seems dead except for conversations between staff when in demos there was stuff like animals on the main platforms and cyphers flying around, there's no customization for non-playable soldiers like outfits even though you see stuff like a new ocelot squad show up for like two cutscenes in the background (with no context), and FOB's not being customizable at all outside of types of weapon/armor and just hitting max out this poo poo is sort of a shame too. Hating the game is a bit strong, but it's probably just coming off of the main story's ending and realizing "that's it? this feels like half a game" rather than "this game is garbage it should have been cancelled".

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Oxxidation posted:

Please stop with crap like this. There's no overarching metaphor or grand scheme in play and it's honestly getting embarrassing to see people clinging to theories that there were. KojiPro got screwed and had to cut poo poo for time, like nearly every other big-name developer around today. The End.

There are other things 'missing' from the game that normally show up in every MGS. First voiced game without Hayter, no one-on-one fight to end the game, other things. You don't even play as Big Boss or anyone genetically related to him. To say that a game called 'The Phantom Pain' doesn't have a theme of missing what is usually there is a bit dismissive.

EDIT: I would also like to point out that I was more than willing to entertain that I was wrong. Furthermore, if discussing insane MGS conspiracies in the MGS thread is taboo then I just don't know what to think anymore.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

lovely Wizard posted:

It just seems like half of chapter 2 is missing if not more, and the chapter 3 titled card make things even worse. Non-story stuff took a hit too : no motherbase customization beyond set upgrades, motherbase seems dead except for conversations between staff when in demos there was stuff like animals on the main platforms and cyphers flying around, there's no customization for non-playable soldiers like outfits even though you see stuff like a new ocelot squad show up for like two cutscenes in the background (with no context), and FOB's not being customizable at all outside of types of weapon/armor and just hitting max out this poo poo is sort of a shame too. Hating the game is a bit strong, but it's probably just coming off of the main story's ending and realizing "that's it? this feels like half a game" rather than "this game is garbage it should have been cancelled".

This is where I am at. poo poo like having to go back to Mother Base every once in a while just to shower just seems so unnecessary and time consuming. Mother base as a whole just feels pointless.

That being said, I am surprised how much I like Code Talker's character. I just know when I hear a cassette tape by him, that it will be a good one.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

blackguy32 posted:

This is where I am at. poo poo like having to go back to Mother Base every once in a while just to shower just seems so unnecessary and time consuming. Mother base as a whole just feels pointless.

That being said, I am surprised how much I like Code Talker's character. I just know when I hear a cassette tape by him, that it will be a good one.

I wish there was more missions like the one with Mosquito(Mosquito's mission is actually one of the better story bits), but I think they thought the FOB gameplay would be enough. Mother base has a really interesting layout compared to the other areas and it would've been cool to do more tactical espionage there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

blackguy32 posted:

If you switch your outfit in the sortie prep it makes you instantly clean. :ssh:

Also, knowing that the real antagonist of MG1 is not Big Boss, but Ahab, puts it in an interesting light for me. I'd like to know how he met such stunning troops as Dirty Duck, Machinegun Kid, and Shotmaker.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Panzeh posted:

I wish there was more missions like the one with Mosquito(Mosquito's mission is actually one of the better story bits), but I think they thought the FOB gameplay would be enough. Mother base has a really interesting layout compared to the other areas and it would've been cool to do more tactical espionage there.

Definitely, as it stands, it just seems so half baked. Although I think the most disappointing thing I have with the game is that we were pretty much shown all of the cutscenes in the trailers leading up to the game, just without the context. Except, the context wasn't nearly as cool as I was building it up in my head, but that is my fault.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

CJacobs posted:

If you switch your outfit in the sortie prep it makes you instantly clean. :ssh:

But you don't get the associated bonuses from showering like increased health, longer reflex time, and increased fulton successed time.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

"Phantom pain" is a theme throughout the game, yes. But it is all in the game. The theory that Kojima intentionally cut large swathes of the game's story and features out at the last second and delivered an unfinished game as a weird meta-metaphor or something is just goofy. I promise you that Kojima did not intentionally tank the story in Chapter 2 and cut cool gameplay elements right before release just to reinforce a theme / point that the game - as we got it - is more than capable of making on its own. It's not like KojiPro running out of time / money is just some theory people have - there are tons of articles about how Konami wasn't happy with how things were progressing, and how there was drama between them and Kojima / others working on the game.

If all of that was intentional, then you have to buy into the silly theories about his firing / the disbandment of the KojiPro team also being some stunt, because otherwise it makes no sense.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
I've only ever played Phantom Pain, read the plot of the other games, and watched about half of a Snake Eater Let's Play. Here are my thoughts:

Game is good. Fun. I like having creative control of things. I can customize stuff, i can laugh at goofy employee names, I can sneak or I can go full murder-hobo. Fun.
I hear a lot about Kojima being a hack or not fufilling some prophecy he laid down, or finishing his magnum opus of a story.

What?

The story of this and all other Metal Gear games, while complex, are not "high art by the hand of a master". He's a video game maker. He made good games. He did not do this by being a writer. He did this by doing something very few, if not NOBODY ELSE has done with the medium of video games. He put the idea of "Wouldn't it be cool if.." first.
Wouldn't it be cool if the ice melted realistically? If there was a secret snake you had to catch for a secret thing? If you had to burn leeches off with a cigar? Could try new things that should work in reality, but, obviously wouldn't work in a video ga- OH MY GOD IT WORKED, THEY THOUGHT OF THAT THING!

He makes games that are millions of little enjoyable things crammed together and wrapped up in a pretty complex, if not silly, anime GI JOE story. Every game sounds the same, too. You play as guy with 30 code names, you do some missions, your buddies back you up, there are nukes, there is a giant robot thing that shoots nukes, science has gone too far, war is bad but what can you do, you beat the bad guy, your buddies were the bad guy the whole time! You make a new group of friends. Rinse and repeat. At least that's what I got out of the plot line I read.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

"Phantom pain" is a theme throughout the game, yes. But it is all in the game. The theory that Kojima intentionally cut large swathes of the game's story and features out at the last second and delivered an unfinished game as a weird meta-metaphor or something is just goofy. I promise you that Kojima did not intentionally tank the story in Chapter 2 and cut cool gameplay elements right before release just to reinforce a theme / point that the game - as we got it - is more than capable of making on its own. It's not like KojiPro running out of time / money is just some theory people have - there are tons of articles about how Konami wasn't happy with how things were progressing, and how there was drama between them and Kojima / others working on the game.

If all of that was intentional, then you have to buy into the silly theories about his firing / the disbandment of the KojiPro team also being some stunt, because otherwise it makes no sense.

Things get cut for all sorts of reasons, and they had near finished cutscenes for a lot of key scenes years ago. I don't think running out of money is necessary for this stuff to have been cut. For instance, it sounds like every combatant in the area was going to be a child soldier, who would all presumably be using the same AI tactics that the other guards do in the game. Kojima may have just thought that a child army might be going a little bit too far for various international ratings boards.

That being said, I'll readily admit that it's very likely that a high concept third area being cut for money/time is probably what it is. I'd Imagine there are a lot of people trying to get an interview with HK right now, and it'll be interesting what he has to say. As far as I know he hasn't done any press since the game has came out (likely because he'll say he had to cut a bunch of cool stuff because konami stuck him in a closet).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

He's probably still under an NDA until he actually leaves at the end of the year or whenever.

edit: And even then I doubt he is going to be spilling a bunch of dirt on what happened. I'm betting the most people are going to get out of him are the sort of things he's already said - bigger budgets means less creative control, can't always fit in everything he wants to, etc.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Can't wait until the big interview with Kojima in January where he explains his plans for a mission where Venom fist fights Sahelanthropus by himself and a sequence where a toddler Raiden guns down a parasite unit.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

Can't wait until the big interview with Kojima in January where he explains his plans for a mission where Venom fist fights Sahelanthropus by himself and a sequence where a toddler Raiden guns down a parasite unit.

In response to the Nuke Deactivation scene that one guy said he'd be impressed if a player saw it naturally this early, and that there was a bunch of stuff we haven't found yet. Have you tried rocket punching Sahelanthropus to death? I hear that's the way you get the Solid Snake ending.

He's probably still under an NDA until he actually leaves at the end of the year or whenever.

edit: And even then I doubt he is going to be spilling a bunch of dirt on what happened. I'm betting the most people are going to get out of him are the sort of things he's already said - bigger budgets means less creative control, can't always fit in everything he wants to, etc.

Unfortunately you're probably right, although maybe not having a future at Konami and this being the end of MGS for the foreseeable future might cause him to be a little more candid than usual.

Full Battle Rattle fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 13, 2015

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Yeah I was actually pretty disappointed in the game. I mean I still really enjoyed it but it, to me, was surpassed by both MGS4, and snake eater (though snake eater is as close to perfection as we'll ever get).

Gameplay wise it was fantastic.

But the story just felt so unbearably weak, with little to no resolution. I am really bummed out.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Either the game's incomplete, or there's tons of story DLC or a sequel coming. There is no other option. Eli loving off with Sahelanthropus and not reappearing in the story is definitely a cut thread Konami caused by shutting down production. There's no way that's intended to be where Liquid Snake was meant to end his story before reappearing in loving MGS, 2 whole decades later, trying to get a different Metal Gear.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Apoplexy posted:

Either the game's incomplete, or there's tons of story DLC or a sequel coming. There is no other option. Eli loving off with Sahelanthropus and not reappearing in the story is definitely a cut thread Konami caused by shutting down production. There's no way that's intended to be where Liquid Snake was meant to end his story before reappearing in loving MGS, 2 whole decades later, trying to get a different Metal Gear.

Is it confirmed that konami cut production exceedingly short? It makes sense why they probably had to jam so much into audio logs if true.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!
I couldn't wait to find out how Big Boss turned "bad" and created his true Outer Heaven and his own nation.

Just finished the Truth mission and... well... gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Is it confirmed that konami cut production exceedingly short? It makes sense why they probably had to jam so much into audio logs if true.

Audio logs were probably intended no matter what. They fill the exact same niche as codec calls did in previous games.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Speaking of theme, after reading some other discussions of the game, I think one of the major failings of TPP is that it doesn't convey its theme as well as the other games. This is gonna be long and possibly nonsensical because I'm having issues putting it into words but here I go anyway:

MGS1, 2, and 3 all wore their themes on their sleeves and everything you did in that game expressed or reflected the game's overarching message. Take the foraging for food in Snake Eater, which is only possible because the game takes place primarily in a jungle setting, showing how your environment determines your actions, which ties into the Scene theme for the game that the era and climate you live in shapes who you are. MGS4's Sense wasn't so effective but it still conveyed that history was working in cycles and that only by letting go of the past can you really strive for a new future. Peace Walker's Peace was difficult to express in gameplay but it succeeded at least in encouraging the player to recruit people rather than murder them with the heroism mechanic and the fact that everyone you fultoned helped build your own base, with the great irony that you are mobilizing an army which is antithetical to peace and ties into the game's overarching message that peace is an ideal to strive toward but is not possible.

What is the theme of The Phantom Pain? Is it Revenge? Race? Phantom Pain? All of the above?

To me, a theme of revenge only effectively worked in one instance: Huey, who I think both player and characters desperately wanted to take revenge on. Even though I witnessed MSF collapse into the ocean and know that Skull Face caused the deaths of Paz and Chico, I never felt particularly driven to take revenge against him. For story reasons I had to but even then the characters themselves didn't seem all that interested in taking revenge, with the notable exception of Miller. The fact that the real Big Boss didn't seem to care for revenge at all and that Venom, who we were supposed to identify with, was similarly fairly neutral on the matter undercuts the player's investment in revenge and undermines any overarching message about how revenge is self destructive. The game constantly references Moby Dick but it doesn't do much to adequately represent its theme, especially because the character's quest for revenge costs them nothing and instead leads to their dominance as a new (nuclear) superpower. As I have said before, if the final act of the game has been Venom's futile quest for vengeance against Big Boss, this theme might have been salvaged, particularly if it meant the destruction of Diamond Dogs in the process. In terms of gameplay, the only mechanic that really jives with a revenge theme is the FOB system, which most people opt out of and is also negligible in terms of impact because it costs you basically nothing to be raided and consequently participating in the chain of retaliation is not a problem. I'll discuss this a little bit more in the pain paragraph below but the fact I never felt like I really lost something means I didn't have much to feel vengeful for.

Race as a theme we can basically ignore entirely because it doesn't seem to have any relevance to the overall plot. Race might be a mangled label for the language theme in the game but I'm not quite sure how that is reflected outside of the plot. In previous games, the theme was an integral part of the story, the characters, and the gameplay. Race only really comes up with Codetalker, who clumsily exposits about the very real horrors of residential schools and the crimes committed against native people, and language only comes up in gameplay through the interpreters (which works I guess) and the Kikongo outbreak.

The idea that the theme is phantom pain also only kind of works in one instance: Quiet's departure. As far as ludo-narrative congruity goes, the game effectively conveyed that I had lost something that I couldn't get back and it bothers me to this day. I have to point out though that the game somewhat undermines its own attempt to instill a sense of loss by removing any trace of her existence. The photos of Quiet in the ACC are removed (this is the most egregious one), the graffiti around her cell vanishes, the Butterfly emblem's description is replace with question marks; it is basically like she was never there in the first place (and indeed, I think the game just acts as if you never recruited her). It seems to want to make you forget her when, if the intent is to convey a phantom pain, we should be constantly reminded of her absence. Moreover, Quiet's departure is the fault of (I'm not quite sure how to express this) the game rather than an agent within the game. Does that make sense? There is no one to blame for Quiet leaving except the story itself that demands that she leave. Skull Face is already dead so the player can't blame him and both the Soviets and the parasites are faceless entities, so they're difficult to really blame for anything. I think I referenced this before with my discussion of the twist but the game does a poor job of effectively channeling the player's hatred and frustration that it creates so instead the players just direct it at the game itself.

Anyway, other than Quiet leaving though, I can't think of many ways that the game pushed a theme of phantom pain. I suppose I was annoyed that I wasn't Big Boss in the end and obviously the lack of closure because of the incomplete story bothers me, although only the former counts as a kind of loss and its effect is muted because the game effectively ends immediately after the twist . The problem with phantom pain is the need for the game to make me feel like I've lost something. I don't feel the loss of MSF because I got to build a bigger and better PF in this game. I don't mourn the loss of Venom's arm because I can do everything Big Boss can do in Ground Zeroes and more thanks to the bionic arm. Everything else the characters have lost is only said but not actually felt. and not actually reflected in the gameplay. Consequently, I didn't feel much desire to take vengeance for what I had lost. I can't think how the game could have conveyed a phantom pain but then again I'm not Hideo Kojima, creator of the certified best games ever MGS2 and MGS3.

The result of this lack of a consistent theme in The Phantom Pain contributes to my dissatisfaction with the game and also makes the game feel a lot emptier. I do things in the game but I don't feel like there is a real point to them. This thread has already gone though the whole "if this game was about Big Boss/Venom becoming a demon, did that actually happen?" and I think other people argued well that the game didn't seem to commit to that at all and kept pulling its punches in various ways to justify Venom/Big Boss' actions (even if it was just by setting them against Literally Hitler). Looking back, it felt like I was just going through the story and, now that I've finished the story and learned how it doesn't pay off in the end, I have nothing driving me to play anymore outside of the fun gameplay that, honestly, is growing a little stale. I wonder if the fact that in previous games repeated playthroughs still allowed you to recapture some semblance of progression because you were still playing through the linear story explains why the open world feels so unsatisfying after a while in MGSV.

This is another point entirely but, stepping back from the theme discussion which I hope made sense, the game also suffers from the fact that there is less to do the more you complete the game. Mother Base is fully staffed but it feels completely empty now that there is no one to interact with anymore (Paz, Quiet, Eli and Huey are gone, Codetalker and Miller were never around, and Ocelot was only there twice). You lose Quiet as a buddy, which limits the variation available in your playstyle (even if it is only marginally), something that is completely opposed to the what an open world game should be. The open world itself kinda wears thin as just running into outposts and capturing them doesn't have the appeal it did when you were just starting out and the environments aren't engaging enough by themselves to be fun to explore (I wish there was more places like the misty valley). Now I have more soldiers, struts, and GMP than I could ever need so I don't have any reason to get more. I'm sure other people could amuse themselves forever by taking bases in different ways but I'm not that kind of gamer I guess. The fact that I also can't even replay the game from the beginning and experience in the entire story again except the main missions (so none of the many optional cutscenes at Mother Base) and the limited number of replayable side ops mean I don't have much reason to touch the single player mode again (I'm holding out for a fun online though!) unless they add something to it.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 14, 2015

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I like the ending but I kind of feel it would be cooler to play as decoy octopus's origin story instead. Medic gets turned into BB then decides he's so good at playing other people he just keeps doing it.

Hell, wasn't it even mentioned in MGS1 that Decoy was a doctor? Might be mistaken tho.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Decoy Octopus was a Mexican actor / special effects artist that shaved down all his facial bones so that he could completely transform himself into any role, and got picked up by Foxhound because they saw the potential for subterfuge. He has one of the most B-movie backstories of any Foxhound member and it's great.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
In the steamgoons IRC there's some people who call Big Boss and Miller reprehensible because they torture Huey. Not that that's excusable but I can't wait till they get to the point in the game when Huey turns out to be an awful person :allears:

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Lakbay posted:

In the steamgoons IRC there's some people who call Big Boss and Miller reprehensible because they torture Huey. Not that that's excusable but I can't wait till they get to the point in the game when Huey turns out to be an awful person :allears:

You never, EVER lash out at DD.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Grinning Goblin posted:

You never, EVER lash out at DD.

Huey insulted his commanding officer by calling him a wolf when he is clearly a dog, frankly I would have given him 50 lashes.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
You know, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, so I figure I'll mention it here.

The first time I ran through The White Mamba mission, I completely accidentally skipped the Eli bossfight by rocket punching the rear end in a top hat from the floor below. He doesn't react to seeing the rocket punch, and as long as you haven't gotten his attention some other way he goes down like a chump.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

BenRGamer posted:

You know, I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere, so I figure I'll mention it here.

The first time I ran through The White Mamba mission, I completely accidentally skipped the Eli bossfight by rocket punching the rear end in a top hat from the floor below. He doesn't react to seeing the rocket punch, and as long as you haven't gotten his attention some other way he goes down like a chump.

It's actually a mission task to just gently caress Eli up without giving him a chance to come at you.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

I love that the [TOTAL STEALTH] mission modifier apparently doesn't take into account Quiet killing everything for miles around with an anti-material rifle. It's like I wasn't even here :ocelot:

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
I too agree that the story got shafted for this game. All the character development people hoped for with Big Boss and his buddies aren't there. There isn't even a sense of Big Boss turning evil and the game clearly stating that. I mean, there is no moral center in the game, no one criticizes Big Boss's actions (except for Huey, but that was bullshit and made no sense). Couldn't we have some idea of what sane and relatively moral people think of BB? What does the media think? Why can't Kojima have his main characters criticized in his own games?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Merdifex posted:

I too agree that the story got shafted for this game. All the character development people hoped for with Big Boss and his buddies aren't there. There isn't even a sense of Big Boss turning evil and the game clearly stating that. I mean, there is no moral center in the game, no one criticizes Big Boss's actions (except for Huey, but that was bullshit and made no sense). Couldn't we have some idea of what sane and relatively moral people think of BB? What does the media think? Why can't Kojima have his main characters criticized in his own games?

You're going to find that to be a flaw in all his games because Kojima writes with a strange sort of motivation among people. The idea, for example, that soldiers just want to be able to soldier without being 'used' is bizarre but you just have to take it for granted here.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think it's really funny that Ahab is the game's moral center, because there is no doubt in my mind that if it were the real Big Boss in his place, it would have turned out exactly the same way.

edit: Not because of Big Boss' pre-existing character development or anything, but because Kojima only knows how to write one protagonist: An experienced dog of war who doesn't like being a dog of war but it's all he has so he does it anyway. This person goes through the same rigmarole in every game; that war actually is bad, but sometimes it must take place because of human nature. And while war in the grand scheme is important to the world's events, it's one's personal war that they must fight for. In the event that there is no personal war to fight for, chaos ensues. Big Boss has had this revelation like 3 times now (and Ahab once I guess but he doesn't count because he's not actually Big Boss anyway).

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 14, 2015

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
What if Chapter 1 was supposed to be Afghanistan, Chapter 2 was supposed to be Central Africa (would have made "Race" make more sense what with the parasite stuff), and Chapter 3 was supposed to be what Chapter 2 currently is.

I get that the Kingdom of Flies map got cut (I'd guess it would have been closer to the size of Camp Omega than Afghanistan or Angola/Zaire) but there's two 5x5ish km maps in the game and I'm wondering how much bigger people think this game was supposed to be.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

CJacobs posted:

I think it's really funny that Ahab is the game's moral center, because there is no doubt in my mind that if it were the real Big Boss in his place, it would have turned out exactly the same way.

edit: Not because of Big Boss' pre-existing character development or anything, but because Kojima only knows how to write one protagonist: An experienced dog of war who doesn't like being a dog of war but it's all he has so he does it anyway. This person goes through the same rigmarole in every game; that war actually is bad, but sometimes it must take place because of human nature. And while war in the grand scheme is important to the world's events, it's one's personal war that they must fight for. In the event that there is no personal war to fight for, chaos ensues. Big Boss has had this revelation like 3 times now (and Ahab once I guess but he doesn't count because he's not actually Big Boss anyway).

That's totally unfair.

He also does pedophile Not-Blade Runners (altough that may be a little rusty after so long).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Snatcher is Otacon's fanfiction of Blade Runner so it doesn't count imo.

edit: Just like how Twin Snakes is Otacon's retelling of MGS1.

Sk8ers4Christ
Mar 10, 2008

Lord, I ask you to watch over me as I pop an ollie off this 50-foot ramp. If I fail, I'll be seeing you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt79xPx53WI&feature=youtu.be

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Also, was it possible that the soldiers who broke into the hospital were there to bring back Big Boss alive? Makes sense they wouldn't shoot him immediately like the other bodies even when it was obvious he was alive and moving.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Merdifex posted:

Also, was it possible that the soldiers who broke into the hospital were there to bring back Big Boss alive? Makes sense they wouldn't shoot him immediately like the other bodies even when it was obvious he was alive and moving.

I sort of suspected that at first but they'll kill your rear end dead if you let them.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Well it is weird in retrospect how Big Boss will comment that Venom was the best soldier in his unit if you remember your time with Peace Walker and your best solider was a woman. Especially if your heroism was super high and you were eventually extracting P.O.W. more often than you were fulton-ing every enemy soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

I sort of suspected that at first but they'll kill your rear end dead if you let them.

Do they get a good look at your face at that point? Now that I think of it, Quiet does quite clearly intend to kill you, so there goes that theory.

• Locked thread