Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Does anyone remember the really comprehensive Castlevania let's play series of (almost) all the games that got posted a few years ago? it didnt seem to make it to the archives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Aishlinn posted:

Does anyone remember the really comprehensive Castlevania let's play series of (almost) all the games that got posted a few years ago? it didnt seem to make it to the archives.
It was done by Zeratanis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTAGb6AGBco. Sadly he's a crumb bum who doesn't setup playlists on his youtube, but all the videos seem to be there.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Niggurath posted:

It was done by Zeratanis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTAGb6AGBco. Sadly he's a crumb bum who doesn't setup playlists on his youtube, but all the videos seem to be there.

that's the one, thank you! I'd looked up a few castlevania let's plays on youtube, and the people playing were insufferable. i remembered this one being pretty easy to watch.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I'm honestly not too happy with the quality of those LPs(SOTN excluded) all things considered. But hey, if people enjoy them still, that's always nice! I should really set up a playlist though when I think about it.

I should really go about actually finishing that final video for SOTN when I think about it too... :negative: All that was keeping me from requesting archives at the time.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Zeratanis posted:

I'm honestly not too happy with the quality of those LPs(SOTN excluded) all things considered. But hey, if people enjoy them still, that's always nice! I should really set up a playlist though when I think about it.

I should really go about actually finishing that final video for SOTN when I think about it too... :negative: All that was keeping me from requesting archives at the time.
Well I thought they were great and people still remember them four years later; so you must have done something alright.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Zeratanis posted:

I should really set up a playlist though when I think about it.

Yes you should. half of the videos end with "Up next...Angry video game nerd plays castlevania!" :colbert:

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
Just finished binge watching all of Resonance22's Age of Empires 2 metagame videos and MadDjinn's Civ 5 videos. Are there any other strategy game LPers that give good insight into their strategies and aren't boring about it?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Neruz's Total Annihilation series? Mind you, I have no idea how they look to someone who hasn't actually played these games but it's a pretty goddamn heroic undertaking either way.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

Aishlinn posted:

Yes you should. half of the videos end with "Up next...Angry video game nerd plays castlevania!" :colbert:

Ask and ye shall receive. :)

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Neruz's Total Annihilation series? Mind you, I have no idea how they look to someone who hasn't actually played these games but it's a pretty goddamn heroic undertaking either way.

While I've played TA, I've not played Kingdoms or SupCom and I can confirm these are great LP's. The former because Neruz's descent in to the madness/frustration of that game is like a modern day Apocalypse Now and the latter because you like big robots and the spaceships that crush them don't you? :crossarms:

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.

anilEhilated posted:

This is great - I'll queue it up for later - ,but it's not quite the hit I'm looking for. Something with villager mechanics (Age of Mythology, Warcraft 3) would be great. The Total Annihilation/Supreme Commander thing isn't quite my cup of tea.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I just finished watching an LPer kill the Balrog in UMoria roguelike. Which took over a year and a hundred episodes of ASCII. I am also watching some kid get through Gran Turisumo 2 which has so many cars and details and samely race tracks. For some reason, I love boring drawn out LPs. They relax me. I especially love it when its just some guy grinding through an obscure game for the love of it and providing interesting info on the game. Anybody know any LPs that fit this description?

Something with hours and hours of content.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Lampsacus posted:

I just finished watching an LPer kill the Balrog in UMoria roguelike. Which took over a year and a hundred episodes of ASCII. I am also watching some kid get through Gran Turisumo 2 which has so many cars and details and samely race tracks. For some reason, I love boring drawn out LPs. They relax me. I especially love it when its just some guy grinding through an obscure game for the love of it and providing interesting info on the game. Anybody know any LPs that fit this description?

Welcome to the forums, Ulillillia

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lampsacus posted:

Dunno about boring, but search the archive for stuff by Giragast. He played a couple of obscure games and dissected the poo poo out of them, sometimes to point of stripping the graphics away. Cold Fear is probably his best thing.

edit: Actually, if boring is your thing, I'm fairly sure he did Project IGI at some point and that game basically consists of reusing one enemy and three buildings.
Now, if you really want boring, just search youtube for valkhorn's channel. Provided it's still around.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 11, 2015

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Forums Standby Niggurath excels at making pretty much any game boring.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Great Joe posted:

Forums Standby Niggurath excels at making pretty much any game boring.
Yup.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Lampsacus posted:

Neruz. TA, SupCom. Long, long RTS videos. Sorry Neruz, they're still cool.

It's not boring, but Bobbin Threadbare's Thief LPs tend to be slow, given the games involved. He provides lots of useful info whilst sneaking around in the shadows, avoiding the light, and his voice is ever so relaxing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Research Indicates's Trespasser is also soothing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

anilEhilated posted:

Now, if you really want boring, just search youtube for valkhorn's channel. Provided it's still around.

People often forget (but I won't let them) that Valkhorn is immortalized on the LPArchive with seven of their LPs: http://lparchive.org/author/valkhorn

Ballance is Valkhorn's best.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

People often forget (but I won't let them) that Valkhorn is immortalized on the LPArchive with seven of their LPs: http://lparchive.org/author/valkhorn

I'd argue Kairo was valkhorn's best LP. Because he left SA shortly after he finished it :v:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 12, 2015

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Lampsacus posted:

I've got several youtube suggestions that may fit what you're looking for:

Roahm Mythril has done LPs of three (working on 4th) of the megaman battle network games.
There's also TES: Daggerfall with Lethal Feline and Grimith.
Aavak has done two runs of Cataclysm DDA which is another rogue-like here and here
Finally, Gaming Shenanigans/Grey Hunter (presumably no relation to the Grey Hunter here?) did a rather long LP of Rome: Total War here

...I watch way too many youtube LPs

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd argue Kairo was valkhorn's best LP. Because he left SA shortly after he finished it :v:

I forgot all about him. I wonder how his LP career went after he left...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That's a very :smith: kind of picture, whatever the context

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Speaking of :smith:

I check up on these guys like, once a month just out of morbid curiosity. They're not even offensively bad although I can't... really stand to watch them for more than three minutes. They're trying to be a low rent Game Grumps without any kind of actual recording equipment.

It's just so bizarre, they have HUNDREDS of videos and none of them ever break 30 views. They're clearly having fun doing it so all the power to them, but it's just... so bizarre :stare:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
And to try and drag things back on topic, is anyone else as fascinated by the Kororinpa thread as I am? It is a game I have never heard of, would never want to play, and would seem to be a horrible candidate for an LP thread.

Despite all this, the thread works, and I find that I am enjoying these videos a whole lot.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

EricFate posted:

And to try and drag things back on topic, is anyone else as fascinated by the Kororinpa thread as I am? It is a game I have never heard of, would never want to play, and would seem to be a horrible candidate for an LP thread.

Despite all this, the thread works, and I find that I am enjoying these videos a whole lot.
Yeah, frozentreasure always does a bang up job like his LP's of Fez (where he broke down everything in the game) or Mischief Makers.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Blind Sally posted:

That's seven more than Richard Gamingo.

Whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you.

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle
This is a weird one, but I'm trying to practice my German and I was hoping I could listen to some banter. Anyone know of a good German-language LP in any genre?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

MrMenshevik posted:

This is a weird one, but I'm trying to practice my German and I was hoping I could listen to some banter. Anyone know of a good German-language LP in any genre?
Sorry, they're all trash.

All good German LPers do their LPs in English.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MrMenshevik posted:

There's that one guy who actually edited his gameplay of FF9 and turned a JRPG into a watchable format, but Simply Simon said the guy had a weird regional accent and damned if I could remember his name anyway.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Sorry, I also completely forgot.

HenryEx posted:

Sorry, they're all trash.

All good German LPers do their LPs in English.
yeah

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle
Oh, well that's a bit of a bummer, but good to know anyway.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

Sorry, I also completely forgot.

yeah

Isn't there like a 30 second stretch in Force Unleashed II where you and Trizophenie just start talking in German to gently caress with Kalon? :v:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

We talk German over cutscenes in the earlier videos, if you think that's useful, the videos are at the bottom.

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

Simply Simon posted:

We talk German over cutscenes in the earlier videos, if you think that's useful, the videos are at the bottom.

It probably isn't useful, though. One of the guys has a weird regional accent, and the other is me, so take from that what you want.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Trizophenie posted:

It probably isn't useful, though. One of the guys has a weird regional accent, and the other is me, so take from that what you want.

:v: :drat:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Saupreiß, elendiger :arghfist: :beerpal:

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
German is a Nazi tongue. Wait a second. I'll deal with those clowns.

Weiter so, Jungs! Sie werden unseren Plan nie kommen sehen. Das LP Unterforum wird bald uns gehören!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Way to go, guys! You will never see it coming our plan. The LP subforum will soon be ours!

Translated. Nice try,Fascist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

VolticSurge posted:

Translated. Nice try,Fascist!
Schweinhund!

(is that an actual word?)

on-topic: Picroft's Arx Fatalis LP just finished and it's really good. It's a skilled playthrough of a forgotten gem of an RPG that tried to bring the dungeon crawler genre into the 2000s. The 2000s weren't ready for it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 14, 2015