Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Just got my level 4 harpoon so imagine the real fun is about to begin. I am annoyed by the minefield missions. I feel so defenseless in that buggy without Chum at my back. I was clearing the last of Jeet's territory and as I was approaching the minefield I got notification of a storm approaching. I love storms and they're so rare but I was pissed because I knew that I would not be able to weather the storm in that buggy and couldn't grab any of the crates without a harpoon. So I quickly got to the minefield and had Dinki-Di scout them for me to diffuse later. Then I hauled butt back to the stronghold to switch cars. Of course the storm passed when I got back out, but at least I could just get back there to diffuse the mines. Of course.... they disappeared and I had to go back and get the buggy AGAIN.

Other than that, LOVING this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I don't care if a wheel is missing, as long as the thing drives, daddy max is bringing home the scrap.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

TraderStav posted:

Just got my level 4 harpoon so imagine the real fun is about to begin. I am annoyed by the minefield missions. I feel so defenseless in that buggy without Chum at my back. I was clearing the last of Jeet's territory and as I was approaching the minefield I got notification of a storm approaching. I love storms and they're so rare but I was pissed because I knew that I would not be able to weather the storm in that buggy and couldn't grab any of the crates without a harpoon. So I quickly got to the minefield and had Dinki-Di scout them for me to diffuse later. Then I hauled butt back to the stronghold to switch cars. Of course the storm passed when I got back out, but at least I could just get back there to diffuse the mines. Of course.... they disappeared and I had to go back and get the buggy AGAIN.

Other than that, LOVING this game.

If you pop a flare Chum will come up in the Opus. Even if you left a stronghold in a different vehicle.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

I Greyhound posted:

Does this apply to everything equally or do some wasteland missions cease to exist as you advance the plot? I ask because I accepted a mission from a character, went onto some storyline stuff, only to find that that character teleported across the map to appear in a plot cutscene with no explanation and is now no longer accessible. I'm guessing they'll show up again maybe as I keep advancing the plot, but for the time being, that mission is hosed

I think they should show up again at the end. Post-credits, some story stuff is "undone" in the sense that you're just put back into the world because the game knows you GOTTA CLEAN THAT MAP. There are even some nice delusions that replace standard wasteland intel encounters to reference the fact that stuff happened.

The other option of course, is to finish everything before doing the final story mission run. Normally that would be what I do, but in this case there's just so much stuff in the world that I felt like I needed to advance the plot. I usually play open world games in a "milk and cookies" style. Story mission, then a selection of various side ops, and repeat. The plan being to whittle down all the content at the same rate. This time, it felt more appropriate to save a bunch of stuff for post-game. Surprising amount of things to do.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Floppychop posted:

If you pop a flare Chum will come up in the Opus. Even if you left a stronghold in a different vehicle.

Hrmmm that's a really great feature. Think the option has always been unavailable but perhaps something else was going on that prevented it. Thanks for the tip

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's probably been mentioned many times in the thread already, but for anybody like me who drove themselves nuts trying to find one last History Relic for 100% - on the top level of Pink Eye's stronghold over by one of the little sleeping areas, there is an unmarked history relic with no icon.

I've now done pretty much everything there is to do in the game, I'm a couple hundred scrap away from the 10k achievement and I'm pretty much done with the game.... but there is one last achievement to do every non-repeating challenge in the game and it's so close to being done I almost can't bear to walk away and play something else. If I don't get that one achievement, that is the worst thing that could ever happen in Max Rockatansky's life :ohdear:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

OK, this gastown race is loving stupid.

I'm running with the lightest armor, no ramming bar, v6 and exhaust is modded up as high as it will go. I do not have the fourth thunderpoon upgrade though. How did you guys get through this?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

MrMojok posted:

I'm running with the lightest armor, no ramming bar, v6 and exhaust is modded up as high as it will go. I do not have the fourth thunderpoon upgrade though. How did you guys get through this?

The game cheesed it for me, one of the little guys got stuck on Stank Gums front bumper so I could just sit behind plinking away

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Rudager posted:

The game cheesed it for me, one of the little guys got stuck on Stank Gums front bumper so I could just sit behind plinking away
You don't really need to be focused on speed so much. I had at least the 2nd armour upgrade. You don't have to be racing at all, just kill Stank Gum. He's not so fast, start shooting him right away. You have unlimited shots, just fire away.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrMojok posted:

If you're taking a lot of damage, instead of following the main track look for little offshoots. On at least one of them there are steam pipes that will heal if you sit inside the steam while it is being pumped out.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

MrMojok posted:

It was tough for me too. Once I got behind, there was no way for me to catch up, because at that point I had taken too much damage.
What I did was boost like hell at the start, stay as close to him as possible, and thunderpoon several times.
I seriously had to finish the race in under a minute that way, by not letting him get too far away, or I lost.
I think I had max v6, 10% armor, and 3rd rank thunderpoon at that point.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

MrMojok posted:

Don't go light. If you're too fast you'll run into stuff and if you're too slow you'll never get to hit the chief. Find the right weight blend with priority on the bumper to mitigate head-on collisions. Make sure you have the right tyres as well.

Dakammer
Apr 24, 2004
- Forum Bass Wizard -

MrMojok posted:

I went with a fully loaded magnum opus (full armor, full ram, biggest v6, etc.) and simply murdered my way through. Shot and killed his buddies the second they'd show up and followed the same plan with Stank Gum himself. It was ultra easy? I think I had more trouble on the car-based oil-well fight near Pink Eye than I did on this race. Most all of his buddies died from a single thunderpoon or shotgun to the fuel tank and he didn't survive much longer. My guns were more upgraded so that may have been the difference, but I wasn't even hurting badly when I blew him up. I guess I may also have just been colossally fortunate?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mine wasn't even fully upgraded, i just boosted twice and got right next to him, and fired like 4-5 shots and he was done. ignored all his buddies.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Just keep thunderpooning him. Pun on some extra weight, don't worry about top speed or acceleration so much. The idea isn't to pass Stank Gum, it's to constantly ride his rear end.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Thanks for your help, all. I'll mod my car and try again..

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The shotgun sound effect is incredible. It's an affront to god.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ShineDog posted:

The shotgun sound effect is incredible. It's an affront to god.

I want a GTA V mod that makes cars sound like the Magnum Opus.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Rudager posted:

I want a GTA V mod that makes cars sound like the Magnum Opus.

I'm still hankerin for a full-on mad max mod for GTA V.

This game was cool, but the vehicle physics in GTA are so, so much better suited for a mad max game.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Just loving do all the story missions and then do all the extra poo poo, it's not complicated

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Powershift posted:

I'm still hankerin for a full-on mad max mod for GTA V.

This game was cool, but the vehicle physics in GTA are so, so much better suited for a mad max game.

I didn't like the car handling initially, but I changed my mind when I remembered these cars are pieces of poo poo cobbled together with whatever bits of scrap is lying around with no considerations given to things like balance and weight distribution.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rudager posted:

I didn't like the car handling initially, but I changed my mind when I remembered these cars are pieces of poo poo cobbled together with whatever bits of scrap is lying around with no considerations given to things like balance and weight distribution.

Also on sand or sandy roads most of the time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm really split on this game.

On the one hand, it's fun as gently caress. The vehicle combat is super satisfying, cars blow up real good, the harpoon is incredible, and I love being able to target individual car components/drivers.
Ground combat is also awesome, especially once you unlock most of Max's abilities. Wading into a crowd of like 15 guys and just wrecking their poo poo wholesale, snapping necks and bending elbows the wrong way and embedding shivs in their necks as I go, is amazingly satisfying.

The problem is, the more I play it, the less I feel like Max from the movies. Like, Max in the movies isn't a combat monster who assaults scavenger huts, snaps 6 necks in 4 seconds without taking a hit, steals all their poo poo, and leaves. I don't feel like "the underdog" or an "unlikely hero" who's in way over his head. I feel like an rear end in a top hat, when I roll up on some scrap location and just wreck everyone's poo poo and take their stuff.
Likewise, the world itself is a little too grimdark and gory. There's corpses and skeletons literally everywhere, casually sitting on chairs in camps, stacked high in the hallways, soaking in bathtubs, dangling from ceilings, etc. I knew things felt a little "off" when I took a selfie of Max standing in front of a literal pillar made of charred and dismembered body parts that was 10 feet tall. I, uh, I don't remember seeing that in the movies. I haven't seen this many festering corpses casually strewn about since the Dead Space games.

Don't get me wrong, this game is fun as hell and I'm having a blast, but I'm not really sure it's a good "Mad Max" game. It's at its best when you're in a car, trashing other cars. But the moment you get out of the car (which is a really, really significant part of the game), it stops being a truly good Mad Max game.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Yeah Max is a huge cockhole and its rather cringeworthy to play through the story, but its fun to snap necks and blow up cars.

I do wonder where all the fresh corpses come from.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

texasmed posted:

Yeah Max is a huge cockhole and its rather cringeworthy to play through the story, but its fun to snap necks and blow up cars.

Same places that burning torches and candles and things come from in areas that shouldn't have anyone in them in years.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
On PS4, and my DS4 touchpad no longer registers for fast travel. Actually assumed my controller's touchpad had died, got a new controller, and was upset with myself for not testing a few other titles because the new controller wasn't invoking fast travel on that save game.

Here's hoping I had another save within ~60 minutes of gameplay! Any other PSFailures see anything similar?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Yeah the game is definitely what people THINK Mad Max is about through pop culture osmosis but the setting, tone, and atmosphere aren't very accurate to the character or the world...at all. The movies all have this very human element, and aside from the first film (which is the personification of :smith: ) they all end on high notes. Max is a dude who tries very hard to be a cold rear end in a top hat but he literally cannot stop helping and caring about people. This is like, SUPER BRIEFLY touched on by Griffa in the game but eh, :effort:

Max is a skilled fighter, driver, and survivalist, but he has his limits and still gets his rear end kicked. The coolest thing about him is his indomitable will to survive, not that he's some ultimate badass.

That being said, game is fun as gently caress and I still have something like 35 hours logged so v:v:v

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

but if the bodies are bright yellow you can interact with them!

Rudager posted:

No, it's just terrible. it feels like a mobile phone game. the cars bounce in weird ways, and it's nearly imposible to get your car upside down, if anything other than your wheels touch the ground the car bounces in stupid ways. it doesn't feel or look natural. in GTA if you launch at a janky angle and your front corner hits, it digs in and the car rolls as it actually would. here the car just bounces down the hill bouncing off that corner.

also, if you open your door when your car is at an angle with that side of the car facing the ground, you get launched up into the air.

Then there's the "bright yellow = interact with, grey = don't touch" from PS2 games. and the fact that you can only lock the harpoon on to specific objects, and if none of these objects are highlighted, it doesn't shoot. and that all the bosses for the camps are basically just palette swaps of the same guy, and all the bosses along the way fight the exact same way with the exact same strategy to defeat them.

The car stuff is fun and destroying poo poo never gets old and it's pretty to look at sometimes, but the mechanics of the game are absolute poo poo.

Also, the underdune is cool as all hell.

I don't feel like i wasted $35 on it, but it does seem like the kind of game that will be $10 in the steam spring sale.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Xenomrph posted:

I'm really split on this game.

On the one hand, it's fun as gently caress. The vehicle combat is super satisfying, cars blow up real good, the harpoon is incredible, and I love being able to target individual car components/drivers.
Ground combat is also awesome, especially once you unlock most of Max's abilities. Wading into a crowd of like 15 guys and just wrecking their poo poo wholesale, snapping necks and bending elbows the wrong way and embedding shivs in their necks as I go, is amazingly satisfying.

The problem is, the more I play it, the less I feel like Max from the movies. Like, Max in the movies isn't a combat monster who assaults scavenger huts, snaps 6 necks in 4 seconds without taking a hit, steals all their poo poo, and leaves. I don't feel like "the underdog" or an "unlikely hero" who's in way over his head. I feel like an rear end in a top hat, when I roll up on some scrap location and just wreck everyone's poo poo and take their stuff.
Likewise, the world itself is a little too grimdark and gory. There's corpses and skeletons literally everywhere, casually sitting on chairs in camps, stacked high in the hallways, soaking in bathtubs, dangling from ceilings, etc. I knew things felt a little "off" when I took a selfie of Max standing in front of a literal pillar made of charred and dismembered body parts that was 10 feet tall. I, uh, I don't remember seeing that in the movies. I haven't seen this many festering corpses casually strewn about since the Dead Space games.

Don't get me wrong, this game is fun as hell and I'm having a blast, but I'm not really sure it's a good "Mad Max" game. It's at its best when you're in a car, trashing other cars. But the moment you get out of the car (which is a really, really significant part of the game), it stops being a truly good Mad Max game.

MASSACRE MAX

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Mad "I won't do any favors for you *does a million favors for you*" Max

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!

texasmed posted:

The same place the thousands of decorative corpses came from in fallout 3, probably

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

CJacobs posted:

Mad "I won't do any favors for you *does a million favors for you*" Max

Max: I'll do this and risk my life so long as the payment is good.

Guy: Here's a loving tire or some poo poo.

Speaking of risking lives, Pink Eye sends out a group of her people into the Big Nothing on the land sail thing. The sail picks up the wind and it coasts along the surface of the desert, they have a huge stockpile of dog food, and I'm assuming they have moisture catchers for water.

What about the loving storms??? :psyduck:

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!
mad max, holding a picture with some dumb poo poo scribbled on the back: "there never were any good guys or bad guys"

the bio page for every adversary in the game: "this guy loving loves torture. when he's not torturing, he's raping. sometimes he does both. also loves to murder, and doesn't recycle"

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Whenever there is a storm I just wedge the car into some crag, and when the storm ends there are like 4 megaloot boxes wedged in along the same ridge. Is that intended?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TRON JEREMY posted:

The same place the thousands of decorative corpses came from in fallout 3, probably

At least in fallout, a couple places decided to shovel the corpses off to one side, and throw down a nice rug, maybe some curtains.

Everywhere in mad max is broken concrete and corpses.

First they came for the interior decorators...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Max is full-on crazy he's only in it for the sweet as V8 and everything else is tangential. Just finished this game today (little over 30 hours) and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Also play as full-beard Max at all times to better fit the tone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Pink Eye sends out a group of her people into the Big Nothing on the land sail thing. The sail picks up the wind and it coasts along the surface of the desert, they have a huge stockpile of dog food, and I'm assuming they have moisture catchers for water.

Speaking of which, did anybody go back there later and find the guy who didn't make it on time? :smith:

"Murder me, just kill me, there's no point in living."

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

TRON JEREMY posted:

mad max, holding a picture with some dumb poo poo scribbled on the back: "there never were any good guys or bad guys"

the bio page for every adversary in the game: "this guy loving loves torture. when he's not torturing, he's raping. sometimes he does both. also loves to murder, and doesn't recycle"

:laffo:

I knew I was in for a treat when you try and get the Interceptor back in the first camp and Max finds the picture of his wife and daughter and on the back it says, "We miss you, come back to us soon!" and Max goes, "Will I? Will I ever come back?"

Crank that melodrama to 11 please.

Jerusalem posted:

Speaking of which, did anybody go back there later and find the guy who didn't make it on time? :smith:

"Murder me, just kill me, there's no point in living."

How are you late for poo poo in the post apocalypse? What, was his schedule too packed or his alarm clock didn't go off or something? What a doofus.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Uncle Jam posted:

Whenever there is a storm I just wedge the car into some crag, and when the storm ends there are like 4 megaloot boxes wedged in along the same ridge. Is that intended?

The game automatically spawns them in your vicinity so if the spot you're wedged in is facing toward the wind they'll just blow in your direction and also happen to get stuck there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 362 days!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

:laffo:

I knew I was in for a treat when you try and get the Interceptor back in the first camp and Max finds the picture of his wife and daughter and on the back it says, "We miss you, come back to us soon!" and Max goes, "Will I? Will I ever come back?"

Crank that melodrama to 11 please.

there's another where he mutters, "we used to have everything.. hope.. joy.. loss.............. but now.............we only have loss"

He's pretty verbose for a crazed loner, too. I'm not sure the writers realized they weren't writing for shadows of mordor's Ranger any more; I once heard Max comment in his xenon-huffing tryhard voice "perhaps this could be of some use"

This game is extremely fun, and has a lot of good ideas, but the writing is a loving embarrassment from top to bottom.

• Locked thread