Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Omahas (and Murmansks and Marbleheads) are some of the most fun ships in the game. They're also used to seal club a LOT against tier 4 enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

James Garfield posted:

^^ Not just that, NTRabbit literally thinks carriers at game launch were balanced and artillery in tanks was fun to play against.

Artillery was fine to play against, you were just poo poo at it, and constantly whinged about it. Rendering artillery ineffective is what turned Tanks into the unplayable TD camping mess it is today.

wdarkk posted:

Omahas (and Murmansks and Marbleheads) are some of the most fun ships in the game. They're also used to seal club a LOT against tier 4 enemies.

Gee, I wonder why? People wouldn't be seal clubbing in powerful ships at all would they? Omahas are totally effortless ships. The only skill you need is steering, even shot leading is done automatically for you by just holding down the fire button and walking the stream on target.

Hazdoc posted:

Hi, allow me to clue you into something.

Cruisers are the most accessible class in the game, who would have thunk it? I mean, its not like you start playing WoWS with a T1 Cruiser, or that they're portrayed as "Jack of All Trades" type ships, or that Wargaming themselves have said that Cruisers are meant to be the most played class in the game, by a pretty significant amount too.

Gee, I wonder why the Omaha and Cleveland are so heavily played. And why all the rest of the drat cruisers are. As for why the US CAs are played the most, its likely due to them being easier than IJN CAs (torps are hard), plus the Furutaka putting people off for some time. Also, NA will be biased slightly towards US ships. Take a look at the SEA stats and you'll notice a lot more IJN ships in the most played category.

Nobody cares about your "CRUISERS ARE OP" crying, because its been proven pretty consistently that no, they are not. The T6 BBs and CVs have higher average damage in game, and the Ryujo and Fuso have higher winrates, than the Cleveland. Saying the Omaha is OP is basically admitting that you're really bad at this game, because the Omaha is full of squishy citadel goodness just waiting to be exploited.

The amount of mental hoops you're trying to jump through to avoid admitting that the Omaha and Cleveland are overpowered as all gently caress is hilarious.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Hmmm I wonder when I started playing the Aoba.

Funniest thing I found on that site is the person who holds the #1 spot in games played on NA has a win % of 41% That dude is baaaaadddddd. Hell its not till the 9th place guy that anyone has a % past 50.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 13, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Just got Nagato. Looking forward to getting the +secondary range skill and seeing what they can do. 7.2 km is still pretty danger close, but it should be interesting to try. I have this notion of getting close combat badges consistently and running the flag, but I have no idea if that's likely. Even so, having 16" guns is really nice, since you can actually damage Iowas.

On the topic of win rates, one of the top people on the NA server is FlamingPanda, who played a bunch of Navyfield back in the day. He has a 75% loving win rate, which is bananas. Not a goon though.

Velius fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 13, 2015

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Honestly think the Hatsuharu is the most underrated ship in the game. The IJN DD line is often summarised as T4&5 great, 6-8 sucks. The guns on it are real nice and it can even shoot down a plane or two. I still haven't unlocked the better torps though. The fun with guns has convinced me to try the USN DD line now too.

Also 1 game away from unlocking the Myoko. I started off this game playing USN lines but eventually switched and find the IJN cruisers and BBs so much more enjoyable at every tier bar Cruiser 5.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
:911: DDs just became really sexy:

:getin:

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Gotta echo that cruiser comment - Im wondering if I should sell my cleveland since I dont really have an interest in the USN line above T5.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Zero Gravitas posted:

Gotta echo that cruiser comment - Im wondering if I should sell my cleveland since I dont really have an interest in the USN line above T5.

Probably. Theres nothing really exciting at all about the US cruiser liner past the Cleveland. I guess maybe slightly harder to cit and better AA but thats about it really.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

DurosKlav posted:

Probably. Theres nothing really exciting at all about the US cruiser liner past the Cleveland. I guess maybe slightly harder to cit and better AA but thats about it really.

Eventually the US CA lines will probably include the Alaska, but who knows when that'll be. I actually like the 8" CAs but if you don't there isn't anything novel in the high tier cruisers right now.

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008

DurosKlav posted:

I disagree, the Pensacola and New Orleans are a bit lackluster, but the Baltimore and Des Moines (with it's shoot 10 salvos of 8 inch shells every minute) are loving insane. I'm in the Baltimore right now about 60k exp away from the Des Moine, and I am consistently the highest or one of the highest damage dealers/experience gained players for the round. The armour on the ship is great and can bounce battleship shells easily enough if angled right.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Chucullinn posted:

I disagree, the Pensacola and New Orleans are a bit lackluster, but the Baltimore and Des Moines (with it's shoot 10 salvos of 8 inch shells every minute) are loving insane. I'm in the Baltimore right now about 60k exp away from the Des Moine, and I am consistently the highest or one of the highest damage dealers/experience gained players for the round. The armour on the ship is great and can bounce battleship shells easily enough if angled right.

Thats probably why I believe they are lackluster. I am only at the New Orleans because I got bored around the Cleveland and started the US BB line then after the Pensacola started on the IJN Cruiser line. Nothing in the US cruiser line has really stood out to me so far. To be honest at the moment I have the New Orleans and Mogami purchased and no real desire to play either.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 13, 2015

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Have they announced anything for US premium BB or DD trainers yet? I'd really like those since i'm going down all the US tree at once :v:

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Just unlocked the Cleveland, should i free exp the modules, or is it good enough to play through and save my free exp for something more needy.

Also how do i play it? Like an omaha?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fizzil posted:

Have they announced anything for US premium BB or DD trainers yet? I'd really like those since i'm going down all the US tree at once :v:

You don't need a specific ship type. Any captain will command any class. You can put a US BB captain into a premium US CA or DD with no penalty.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Fizzil posted:

Your BB and DD crews still work at full effectiveness in a premium cruiser. The commander skills might be a bit different, but not enough to really matter.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
What crosshair are people using?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

VietCampo posted:

This is the one I use:

It's in the Aslain pack as "by Mebius_LW, Krab v3". I like it mostly because the horizontal line extends the entire width of my screen. There have been times where I've been shooting long range at a fast moving something (usually a DD) with half the enemy ship off the edge of my monitor and the line makes it easier to keep the range steady. I've been using it long enough that I know that if I am in an Omaha and shooting at something 13km away from me, moving parallel, to line up at about 6 or so on the line. I haven't had anyone throw out any "OMG fukkin aimbot GG hakker motherfukker" :argh: :rolleyes: comments yet.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

MREBoy posted:

This is the one I use:

It's in the Aslain pack as "by Mebius_LW, Krab v3". I like it mostly because the horizontal line extends the entire width of my screen. There have been times where I've been shooting long range at a fast moving something (usually a DD) with half the enemy ship off the edge of my monitor and the line makes it easier to keep the range steady. I've been using it long enough that I know that if I am in an Omaha and shooting at something 13km away from me, moving parallel, to line up at about 6 or so on the line. I haven't had anyone throw out any "OMG fukkin aimbot GG hakker motherfukker" :argh: :rolleyes: comments yet.

All those lines makes my head hurt.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

DurosKlav posted:

At this point my brain actively filters them out & I don't notice them anymore. Supposedly the guy who made this is a WG dev, so maybe they all mean something.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

MREBoy posted:

At this point my brain actively filters them out & I don't notice them anymore. Supposedly the guy who made this is a WG dev, so maybe they all mean something.

They make it easier to determine the ship's bearing relative to yours as they provide a frame of reference.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
So I had to shoot down 10 planes for mission. Loaded game in NO (AA set up) and saw a Ranger in enemy team. Told him to send all his planes to me and he actually kept on sending torp and dive bomber squads to me :v: Thanks pubbie.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

MREBoy posted:

They make it a lot easier to lead shots when in the scout plane view.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

MREBoy posted:

The angled ones would let you lead angular movement. Should be really handy actually.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
That's my favorite reticle for the same reason.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

VietCampo posted:

Just unlocked the Cleveland, should i free exp the modules, or is it good enough to play through and save my free exp for something more needy.

Also how do i play it? Like an omaha?

Cleveland is probably one of the few ships that are pretty good right off the shelf. I say just grind through the new modules. Hull upgrade gives you better flak, but carrier jockeys will avoid you regardless. Things under 10km will be smothered under a blanket of your HE. But I find that at ranges over 12km or so you will struggle to hit targets unless they are BBs or dont know what their rudder does. The guns are lower velocity than the Phoenix/Omaha and are best described as "floaty". With the fire control module and advanced firing training you can shoot out to like 17km but its rough to hit anything moving at that range.

Now I have a question of my own. Is it crazy to just skip having a level 5 skill in a BB and instead of saving up all those points just buy basic firing training and the turret speed skill from the first two tiers (went with repair skills to start)? Even though .7 degree a second does not sound like much I figure once you get to the big boys it will help.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

DurosKlav posted:

It reminds me a lot of playing a Tie Defender in TIE Fighter.

I might be 200 pages late on this mention, but man, going to the Phoenix after the St. Louis feels exactly like going from DDs to CLs in Navyfield.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Sims has to be the worst DD for its tier. It should be Tier 5 not Tier 7 ffs.

e: I'm seriously considering selling Sims because I'm fed up with non-stop turret/engine crit. Can't even 1v1 another DD because they just knock my engine out ll the loving time. Got nice turrets though :(

Aesis fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Sep 14, 2015

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Lakedaimon posted:

Now I have a question of my own. Is it crazy to just skip having a level 5 skill in a BB and instead of saving up all those points just buy basic firing training and the turret speed skill from the first two tiers (went with repair skills to start)? Even though .7 degree a second does not sound like much I figure once you get to the big boys it will help.

I have definitely thought the same. There's a good Lvl 5 skill for DD, CV and CA's but not for BB IMO so instead I'm going for something like this:

Basics of Survivability
Aiming Expert
High Alert
Advanced Firing Training
Fire Prevention
Basic Firing Training
Superintendant

This requires 1 more Captain level (16) than going for a Lvl 5 skill. By the point I finish this I'll be in at least an Izumo if not Yamato (currently half way through Nagata T7).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DurosKlav posted:

Hmmm I wonder when I started playing the Aoba.

Funniest thing I found on that site is the person who holds the #1 spot in games played on NA has a win % of 41% That dude is baaaaadddddd. Hell its not till the 9th place guy that anyone has a % past 50.

Winrate is the worst metric tbh.

VietCampo posted:

The default one is the best one :c00lbutt:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Anyone know what does Target Acquisition module actually do?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Aesis posted:

e: I'm seriously considering selling Sims because I'm fed up with non-stop turret/engine crit. Can't even 1v1 another DD because they just knock my engine out ll the loving time. Got nice turrets though :(

This has been my entire experience in DDs. Generally if someone looks at me I've lost a component. But I mostly drive Japanese, are American DDs generally more hardy?

I also appreciate that if I catch an HE round to the bow my engine poops the bed. That's good stuff.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Aesis posted:

Don't sell premiums. They can go from bad to great in the space of a patch with little warning, and then you regret offloading a ship you can never get back.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

The Albany would have to get really loving amazing for me to regret selling it.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Much like its namesake, it is garbage.

I mean I kept it because it is premium, but that doesn't change anything.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Aesis posted:

Anyone know what does Target Acquisition module actually do?

It increases render range.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

James Garfield posted:

It increases render range.

Meaning...? The distance at which you spot enemy ships?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

PirateBob posted:

Meaning...? The distance at which you spot enemy ships?

No, from what I understand all it does is literally draw icons on your screen for ships that are farther away from you. Like the 500 meter box in tanks. You still have to have them spotted by a teammate. I guess if you're playing a Yamato with scout plane and range extender module it might accomplish something.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

I hate the Peniscola. That is all.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Burt posted:

I hate the Peniscola. That is all.

Yes! I might Free XP past her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I am getting used to the Wyoming now that I am playing her more.