Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Free Drinks
Dec 16, 2006

Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.

Egbert Souse posted:

Details on Shout! Factory's 3-disc Army of Darkness:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=17546

Highlights: includes the US theatrical cut, extended international cut, TV cut (SD), and the director's cut. The international cut was newly remastered in 4K while the US cut is from Universal's old transfer, though.

Seems like all the Anchor Bay extras are there plus a lot of new stuff

I've been putting off buying Army of Darkness for years because the first and only version I ever bought was that bullshit one witch practically cut everything. Mini-Ashes, parts of the final fight, a few other things. I was mad enough at that version that I refused to get any other version until I KNEW it was complete. Guess I finally have one to get.

This will be quite the thing for me, that Army of Darkness DVD was the first DVD I ever purchased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

CPL593H posted:

I'm pretty sure it did. I asked someone who is the master of finding esoteric poo poo on the internet and he told me that Unsolved Mysteries is notoriously difficult to find.

Maybe they're planning on reprocessing the reenactments into another version with a new host. They were shot on film.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Guess what popped up at Costco? $20 for each title.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh poo poo, thanks for the heads up.

I don't have a Costco membership (got Sam's Club instead) but I have friends and coworkers who do.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

They never put that out in any of the Costco stores I've been to :(

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've never seen them there until this weekend.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
I think I have a friend with a costco membership, might have to check that out...

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Under The Skin - $7.99 on Amazon

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Steve Yun posted:

Guess what popped up at Costco? $20 for each title.

I never thought I'd ever have a reason to want a Costco in my area.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Safe Driver posted:

They never put that out in any of the Costco stores I've been to :(

Costco usually keeps a fairly small media section, but as the holidays get closer they put more and more poo poo out there.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

I've never seen them there until this weekend.

They've been doing it for a while (obviously not in all stores). I posted about it in the deal thread in May of last year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
So is there no Suspiria blu ray for region 1? I find that hard to believe but the only one I can find on Amazon is region 2.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Basebf555 posted:

So is there no Suspiria blu ray for region 1? I find that hard to believe but the only one I can find on Amazon is region 2.
Synapse is doing a 2K restoration on it, which basically means pretend it doesn't exist and then you'll be surprised and delighted when it comes out in three or four years.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Vinegar Syndrome/Etiquette Pictures is releasing Catch My Soul on Nov. 22, newly restored from the camera negative. It's the only feature film Patrick McGoohan directed and it's basically a rock musical version of Othello starring Richie Havens.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=17579

Looks interesting. Most resources have listed this as a lost film.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Beatles: 1+ - Nov. 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-h9qvPrTeE

The press release is oddly vague, but it seems to include all of the Beatles promotional films/music videos newly remastered in 4K with stereo and DTS-HD 5.1 remixes. Selected films have commentary by Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. Looks like there's a deluxe edition that has additional videos.

edit: Full listing of promo films here:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=11283665&postcount=32

Looks like it's a mix of original promo films, TV appearances edited to fit tracks, and newly commissioned films. It even has material from Let It Be.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Sep 16, 2015

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Did you buy both seasons of Justice League and every time you see them on your shelf, they look lonely? GOOD NEWS!

Warner Archive is releasing Justice League Unlimited: The Complete Series on blu-ray. Date TBD.
http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Justice-League-Unlimited-The-Complete-Series/21533

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bad Boys/Bad Boys II double feature - Nov. 10

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Pretty sure these Amazon sale prices are the lowest the Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray seasons have been:

Star Trek: The Next Generation s1 - $24.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation s2 - $34.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation s3 - $34.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation s4 - $34.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation s5 - $34.99

Just seems to be the first 5.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Our national nightmare is finally over...

:siren: Bad Boys 2 :siren: is coming out November 10th in a double pack with Bad Boys 1.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UVLD4OLWCH5WNTL

$26.99

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like it's a mix of original promo films, TV appearances edited to fit tracks, and newly commissioned films. It even has material from Let It Be.

Which further raises the question of why the gently caress they won't just re-release the goddamn thing. I never understood why Let It Be is considered this melodramatic document of the band and their relationship falling apart. For years I heard about how hard it was to watch because of this and when I finally saw it I didn't get what all the fuss was about. From what I heard I expected to movie to be two hours of them sniping at each other and arguing and there's none of that. At worst they just seem kind of tired but for a lot of the film what you see is the genuine chemistry they had with each other which peaks in the infamous rooftop concert scene.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

CPL593H posted:

Which further raises the question of why the gently caress they won't just re-release the goddamn thing. I never understood why Let It Be is considered this melodramatic document of the band and their relationship falling apart. For years I heard about how hard it was to watch because of this and when I finally saw it I didn't get what all the fuss was about. From what I heard I expected to movie to be two hours of them sniping at each other and arguing and there's none of that. At worst they just seem kind of tired but for a lot of the film what you see is the genuine chemistry they had with each other which peaks in the infamous rooftop concert scene.

I assume it's because they can sit on it for essentially forever and still rest assured there will be plenty of buyers no matter when they release it. Might as well keep that golden goose alive until you really need it. (Either that or Paul has some weird objection to it.)

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

"This movie is like watching the Beatles break up!"

(actual movie has maybe one or two snarky remarks in it, mostly is fun and cool)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

I assume it's because they can sit on it for essentially forever and still rest assured there will be plenty of buyers no matter when they release it. Might as well keep that golden goose alive until you really need it. (Either that or Paul has some weird objection to it.)

The commonly accepted explanation is that McCartney doesn't want to re-release because it makes him look bad or some bullshit, but it's probably got more do with whatever studio/distributor owns the rights.

Rusty Staub posted:

"This movie is like watching the Beatles break up!"

(actual movie has maybe one or two snarky remarks in it, mostly is fun and cool)

Basically. This old record store guy I buy poo poo from all the time actually said he can't even watch the movie because of that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What I've heard is that it's both Paul and Yoko who don't like it. Having lived through that time they probably have a very different feeling about it than someone just watching the film, even if the stuff that colors those memories isn't on the screen. I kind of get it, but also c'mon just put it out, god drat.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

What I've heard is that it's both Paul and Yoko who don't like it. Having lived through that time they probably have a very different feeling about it than someone just watching the film, even if the stuff that colors those memories isn't on the screen. I kind of get it, but also c'mon just put it out, god drat.

For a guy who's made like a billion dollars off Beatles fans over the years, Paul can be really petty about this kind of stuff. If he doesn't like something its not going to see the light of day, he's never going to just say "well the fans would really appreciate seeing this so I'll put it out there." It'd be nice if he recognized that the Beatles are ingrained in our culture at this point and stop being so anal about what gets released and what doesn't.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Not gonna lie, I'd listen to Carnival of Light at least once.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

TheJoker138 posted:

I wonder if Yoko's miffed because a lot of her stuff was cut, and if Paul dislikes it because it makes him appear at fault.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Yeah I mean the movie isn't all that bad, but McCartney kind of comes off the worst of everyone. What's worked in his favour is this lore that's built up around it where it makes it seem like The Beatles didn't want it to see the light of day so he never really gets the blame. I remember being disappointed when I watched it because of how it was built up.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Actually, the director confirmed a while ago that Apple Corps was working in Let It Be and the promo films at the same time. Its definitely coming since there's clearly a 4K of it now. The holdup was apparently wanting to also include a ton of out takes because the original cut was over twice as long. This set has videos reconstructed from those outtakes.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The rumor I heard straight from a very reputable source was that it was Olivia Harrison who didn't want it released, because of George Harrison. There is a scene where George and Paul get into a vocal fight and it really upset George never really got over it. This is the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGuH7Zxbr84

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Our national nightmare is finally over...

:siren: Bad Boys 2 :siren: is coming out November 10th in a double pack with Bad Boys 1.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UVLD4OLWCH5WNTL

$26.99

FINALLY, a reason to own a BluRay player!

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

Abu Dave posted:

The rumor I heard straight from a very reputable source was that it was Olivia Harrison who didn't want it released, because of George Harrison. There is a scene where George and Paul get into a vocal fight and it really upset George never really got over it. This is the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGuH7Zxbr84

But that scene is part of the Beatles Anthology that came out in the 90's which George was a part of?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Let It Be is a good movie about the making of a very mediocre album.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

That's because the album is a bunch of polished up scraps from a completely different project that was aborted. Basically John Lennon just gave Phil Spector a bunch of stuff and was like "make this listenable".

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

That's because the album is a bunch of polished up scraps from a completely different project that was aborted. Basically John Lennon just gave Phil Spector a bunch of stuff and was like "make this listenable".

Well, he nearly succeeded.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wiggly posted:

But that scene is part of the Beatles Anthology that came out in the 90's which George was a part of?

:shrug: I guess it really bothered George.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The bit with Paul getting on George's nerves is in Anthology. George's estate/widow isn't blocking anything concerning Let It Be, but Olivia Harrison did carry over George's dislike of Carnival of Light and hasn't approved its release.

Although, everything points to Carnival of Light being crap.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

It really should have been kept as a TV documentary with several episodes. There's a fascinating look at a band breakup and the creative process, but you wouldn't know it from the movie. The rooftop concert is the only great part of the film, but even that is cut up with a bunch of on-the-street crap.

The episodes of The Beatles Anthology that cover the same material are excellent. For that matter, the entire series is excellent and wouldn't be a bad thing to eventually reconstruct in HD since all the interviews were shot on film.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 17, 2015

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The problem is they didn't even break up in that period. The Let It Be film was shot prior to Abbey Road even being recorded.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

The bit with Paul getting on George's nerves is in Anthology. George's estate/widow isn't blocking anything concerning Let It Be, but Olivia Harrison did carry over George's dislike of Carnival of Light and hasn't approved its release.

Although, everything points to Carnival of Light being crap.

It really should have been kept as a TV documentary with several episodes. There's a fascinating look at a band breakup and the creative process, but you wouldn't know it from the movie. The rooftop concert is the only great part of the film, but even that is cut up with a bunch of on-the-street crap.

The episodes of The Beatles Anthology that cover the same material are excellent. For that matter, the entire series is excellent and wouldn't be a bad thing to eventually reconstruct in HD since all the interviews were shot on film.

Yeah, Beatles Anthology in HD would be good, good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Egbert Souse posted:

Actually, the director confirmed a while ago that Apple Corps was working in Let It Be and the promo films at the same time. Its definitely coming since there's clearly a 4K of it now. The holdup was apparently wanting to also include a ton of out takes because the original cut was over twice as long. This set has videos reconstructed from those outtakes.

I missed this post before, but yeah I heard about that a few years ago and basically dismissed it since I haven't heard anything new since then. But having thought about it just now it took decades for us to get some Beatles CDs that don't sound like poo poo, so maybe this is just more of that. At any rate, I don't think I believe any of the stuff about "This person thought they looked bad in the movie so it will never be released again.", it probably has a lot to do with copyright poo poo and location/condition of the original film and sound elements.

• Locked thread