Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Average Bear posted:

most infurating thing ever: when some enemy's opm vassal sails over to your mainland and starts sniping your mothballed forts with 2 units

This is compounded by the AI ignoring naval attrition. Wiz says that they try to limit themselves reasonably, but they don't. During my Ming WC I had OPM Riga sailing over to Manchuria and sieging it. No non-Ming country controlled any province in Asia or the Americas at that point - what basing rights were they using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
How do you prevent CNs from forming? Just don't get to 5 provinces in a colonial region?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

alcaras posted:

How do you prevent CNs from forming? Just don't get to 5 provinces in a colonial region?

Correct.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

alcaras posted:

Just one exception. If your capital is on the same continent, CNs wont form. So if your capital is in Havana, there wont be a Colonial Mexico, Louisiana, etc.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Bit of a dumb questions, but how do I join the HRE? Is there a button I press? Do I wait for an event? I know I have to have good relations with the Emperor but don't know what I have to do to actually join.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

QuoProQuid posted:

Bit of a dumb questions, but how do I join the HRE? Is there a button I press? Do I wait for an event? I know I have to have good relations with the Emperor but don't know what I have to do to actually join.

Click on one of your provinces, there is a button with the coat of arms for the HRE. You need to be under a certain level of development, adjacent to another HRE province, and not a heathen. Once your capital is in the HRE, your nation becomes a prince.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Node posted:

Click on one of your provinces, there is a button with the coat of arms for the HRE. You need to be under a certain level of development, adjacent to another HRE province, and not a heathen. Once your capital is in the HRE, your nation becomes a prince.

Specifically, I think you need to be under 100 development. If you're larger, you need to release some vassals. Who are you trying to join the HRE as?

You'll also need very good relations with the Emperor, probably Austria. I believe you need 100 + development relations, so you'll likely need an alliance with them if you're above ~50 development.

When you mouse over the HRE coat of arms in the province view, it'll say "too large to join" (you need to release vassals), tell you you're too far away, or tell you how much relations you need.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Pellisworth posted:

Specifically, I think you need to be under 100 development. If you're larger, you need to release some vassals. Who are you trying to join the HRE as?

You'll also need very good relations with the Emperor, probably Austria. I believe you need 100 + development relations, so you'll likely need an alliance with them if you're above ~50 development.

When you mouse over the HRE coat of arms in the province view, it'll say "too large to join" (you need to release vassals), tell you you're too far away, or tell you how much relations you need.

Few notes on this: being in the same culture group as the Emperor halves your effective development, and if you add any province other than your capital first you'll get a -15 'holds Imperial territory' modifier until you add your capital and join the HRE so make sure you've got that much leeway. Also, you can join if, without bordering, you share a sea zone with an HRE province (so say Dalmatia in Croatia can join off of being the same sea zone as NE Italy).

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Node posted:

Just one exception. If your capital is on the same continent, CNs wont form. So if your capital is in Havana, there wont be a Colonial Mexico, Louisiana, etc.

I've had Haitian Columbia form.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Baron Porkface posted:

Columbia is South America, the Caribbean is North America.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Baron Porkface posted:

That's because the Caribbean is N America while Colombia is S American continent. So Haitian Colombia is on a separate continent. Mexico and central America down to the Panamanian isthmus are N America.

Node posted:

Columbia is South America, the Caribbean is North America.

Too many helpful posters lurking tonight :D

Also, it's ColOmbia

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So do truces from revoking a guarantee not show on the diplomacy screen? Because that's really a frustrating thing not to show.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Religious also has an event that spawns Revolutionary rebels at any date when they usually only happen around 1600 or later so that can be cool.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

Elendil004 posted:

So do truces from revoking a guarantee not show on the diplomacy screen? Because that's really a frustrating thing not to show.

The truce only applies to you, the guarantor, and not the country you're guaranteeing. So it won't appear if you look at them, but it does appear on your countries diplomacy screen.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Node posted:

There's another exception, actually. Provinces with a direct, contiguous chain of owned provinces leading back to your capital also will not form a CN. If you ever have more than 4 disconnected cores in a colonial region on a different continent from your capital, though (for example, a war makes you lose a province which breaks the chain), they'll instantly form CNs and there's no way to get them back.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Pellisworth posted:

Too many helpful posters lurking tonight :D

Also, it's ColOmbia

Hey, there aren't any red squiggles under it, it has to be right.

Zurai posted:

There's another exception, actually. Provinces with a direct, contiguous chain of owned provinces leading back to your capital also will not form a CN. If you ever have more than 4 disconnected cores in a colonial region on a different continent from your capital, though (for example, a war makes you lose a province which breaks the chain), they'll instantly form CNs and there's no way to get them back.

I thought that might be the case and I wanted to test it out, but Portugal blocked off the thin part of Mexico so I couldn't try. A united North and South America, with no distant overseas, would be kinda terrifying.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Switzerlake!

Would have been easier if I had been willing to expand outside the HRE, but this seemed like a prettier way to go. I could have rolled France several times too while they were off invading the Ottomans, but :effort:

In retrospect, I should have picked up Humanist ideas (for +33% Better Relations Over Time) a lot sooner than I did, probably taking it instead of Admin second. AE was a much bigger limiter than admin points ever were, except for the last 30 years or so as I was coring Bohemia (they had developed everything to ~40, meaning all their provinces cost ~350 points to core, even with full Admin Effic. and -25CCC from Admin).

Probably should have taken an Admin idea first too; I went military just because I wanted to be able to win fights on my own, but the alliance structures made it a necessity to have all your allies doing the fighting for you in the early days anyway.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Node posted:

I thought that might be the case and I wanted to test it out, but Portugal blocked off the thin part of Mexico so I couldn't try. A united North and South America, with no distant overseas, would be kinda terrifying.

Workin' on it.

(this is just a silly comp stomp custom nation game, not a serious one; the name might be a clue)

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Zurai posted:

Workin' on it.

(this is just a silly comp stomp custom nation game, not a serious one; the name might be a clue)

You gotta tell us what SKELETONS!'s traditions, ambitions, and ideas are. Increased coring cost, increased attrition, some other stuff at a glance.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Colonists, army morale; attrition, coring cost, manpower, manpower recovery, heavy ship combat, fort maintenance; reduced land attrition.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Node posted:

Hmm, OK that's interesting - I take it it would also work for Africa+Europe+Asia? Since I've been thinking of doing a gimmick 'undead horde' run myself, but wasn't sure whether I should do it in Haiti (voodoo zombies!) or Cairo/fabled 'City of the Dead' (skeletons+mummies), although on one hand I don't want to have to deal with a European CN if I play as the Haitian horde, but the Egyptian CotD one might be a bit hard, starting as an OP OPM in the middle of the Mamluks...

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, OK that's interesting - I take it it would also work for Africa+Europe+Asia? Since I've been thinking of doing a gimmick 'undead horde' run myself, but wasn't sure whether I should do it in Haiti (voodoo zombies!) or Cairo/fabled 'City of the Dead' (skeletons+mummies), although on one hand I don't want to have to deal with a European CN if I play as the Haitian horde, but the Egyptian CotD one might be a bit hard, starting as an OP OPM in the middle of the Mamluks...

Colonial Nations will only be formed in the New World -- the Americas and Australia. If you started in the Americas and conquered into Europe, those would simply have the Distant Overseas penalty of a minimum 75% autonomy.

If you wanted to do a goofy "undead horde takes over the world with brokenly strong custom ideas," Egypt is a good option. As long as your provinces are contiguous, you can get full benefit from provinces in Europe, Asia, and Africa. The current favored world-conquest gimmick also involves starting at the confluence of Asia-Europe-Africa and strategically using vassals to isolate yourself from the other two continents. As an example, the Ottomans can create vassals to cut themselves off from contiguous holdings in Africa and Asia, which invokes the 75% overseas autonomy penalty BUT overseas provinces are also way cheaper (-50%) to core. So the powergaming strategy is to conquer tons of Africa and Asia using the overseas coring discount, then integrate your vassals and bang presto all those lands you cored for cheap are now contiguous and your autonomy drops to zero in all of them.

Edit: be a Shia Dutch Republic somewhere in the Mideast/Persia area.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
I haven't played in..well... I played bit more when it first came out, then once or twice with some expansions. I'm finally up to date, but must still learn the new mechanics.

What are some good non-european countries to mess around with? I never enjoyed playing in Europe much unless I really got powerful enough to mess with history (like convert all of northern Africa to Christianity).

I heard there's countries in India that are good.

I'm just looking for something not-european, but still okay for beginners. I've forgotten a lot since my first few plays.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Bengal's good, they start off safe from existential danger, and with multiple directions to expand in you should be able to dominate your region effectively. Plus if you get going well enough there's a reasonably doable achievement for them.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I've actually been looking at the Orissa achievment seeing my "Take that von Hapsburg" is pretty much done. I've got Austria under a PU and now I can just expand to get more development to make integration more likely/faster if done manually. Maybe get Jerusalem and Mecca as a joke and because I can.

How annoying is the Orissa achievement to get all tropical wood provinces, I know they can spawn from colonies, at least in the pacific.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Yes the tropical wood achievement is probably going to be annoying due to colonies, also Orissa has a pretty difficult early game now as nobody wants to ally you and Bengal will usually DoW you within a year or two. They used to have roughly double the development they have now so it went from a fair fight to kind of a stomp.

Re: non European starts I'm just gonna quote myself from last time I did this:

RabidWeasel posted:

I play probably 80%+ of my games in Persia or SEA so here's an excessively long effortlist of countries:

India:

Nepal - Hindu. Hard start, godawful ruler + heir, good NIs, though somewhat backloaded other than the forcelimits which you're too poor to take good advantage of anyway :v:

Delhi - Sunni. Probably the strongest country in India if not played by the AI, if you reconquer your cores you are already OP as gently caress, most of your provinces are 20+ development. Also very easy to form Mughals with if you don't mind cheesy culture changes.

Orissa - Hindu. Great ruler and heir but your starting position sucks balls and I don't think I have seen a single time that Bengal didn't declare on them early. Also their NIs are a bit poo poo and they have some bad DHEs to do with civil war or something I never really played as them. They used to be a lot stronger but the start setup got changed and they lost a bunch of provinces to a new independent state, which they get a mission to conquer, but again, Bengal will stab you in the rear end.

Bengal - Sunni. Rich as gently caress from trade on day 1 without you having to do anything, no real rivals either

Jaunpur - Sunni. Probably the best NI set in India other than Nepal, interesting starting position where Delhi, Bengal and Malwa all don't like you very much. More powerful than many other starts but with a more difficult diplomatic situation.

Mewar - Hindu. Good starting ruler and you have a gold mine so you're stronger than your provinces suggest, but frequently gets gangbanged as surrounded by angry Muslims. Most of the surrounding provinces have increased coring cost because Wiz personally hates you.

Malwa - Sunni. Start out with 2 vassals but a relatively weak core of owned provinces. Really bad diplomatic situation as they are usually at odds with all of their stronger neighbours and have few opportunities for expansion.

Gujarat - Shia. Own some good provinces but their trade node is generally weaker than most of the others in India, so even with their trade-focused NIs they're not ultra rich like Bengal etc.

Bahmanis - Shia. Have a gold mine and are generally big and powerful from the start, Vijayanagar is a potential threat but if you beat them once and take your cores back they're dead. NIs are pretty solid, better than the generic "Indian Sultanate" ones.

Vijayanagar - By far the easiest start as a Hindu country, they have some bad events in the first 50-100 years but you can diplo vassal your way through the minor Hindu states to your West and beat the Bahmanis to death when they get into some dumb war up north at which point you're going to be huge already, form Baharat and basically win the game.

Ceylon - Buddhist but Buddhism is basically broken so don't play them (see below)

There's a slight 'problem' in India where there aren't very many starts which are both challenging and fun to play, the major powers generally have a very easy time and will quickly become the sole dominant power in India with just a few good wars, wheras the minors have to sit back and wait for opportunities and things can easily get really hosed up without you even making any mistakes (see: Orissa annexed by a Bengal-Bahmanis-Vijayanagar gangbang). Nepal is my personal choice of most interesting minor power; due to their position they can choose to jump on any of the 3 major North Indian Sunni powers and can even make alliances with one against the others if you're lucky with rivals etc.

Indochina:

There's a whole load of Buddhist states here but since Buddhism is kind of terrible you shouldn't play as them! Unless you intentionally pay 100s of diplo points and using tons of warscore to release states and return cores etc. you will always have bad Karma which means -10% discipline which is an awful handicap; I'm assuming that this is going to get fixed next patch so that there are ways to make good karma that don't revolve around either RNG or intentionally gimping yourself.

If you insist on playing a Buddhist state anyway there's a lot of strong, interesting NI sets in this part of the world and most of the obvious major powers are fun to play. Not much to say on strategy as it's just a case of dominating the region; Ayutthaya (province) is key due to its insane wealth and trade bonus. Special note to Khmer as they have a Hindu majority on day 1, you can convert by submitting to Hindu rebels to avoid the crappy Buddhist mechanics and get the much more fun and mechanically useful Hindu stuff!

Malaya etc:

Again there's quite a few different states here but not that much to choose between them, the NI sets are all very samey with bonuses to trade and navies with a side of religious stuff. Pasai is probably the easiest start as they start out strong and can quickly conquer the gold province to their south and use the extra income advantage from that to beat the rear end out of their neighbours and have a big enough navy that nobody will gently caress with them. The general strategy with these guys is to go full colonial ASAP since the spice islands are valuable and count as full non-overseas provinces.

Makassar is a relatively unusual start due to its good NIs and strong position combined with Animist religion.

There's also Tidore and Ternate which are isolated OPMs with pretty sick NIs for colonising and trade but their culture group only has 2 provinces and they start out as animist. Probably an interesting game though!

Ignore the thing about Buddhism, it's still a mechanically weak religion but at least now it has its own niche and you can feasibly stay at good levels of karma.

Other good non-Asian non-European starts are Mutapa, Ethiopia and Songhai.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 14, 2015

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Tahirovic posted:

How annoying is the Orissa achievement to get all tropical wood provinces, I know they can spawn from colonies, at least in the pacific.

Very. The "Own every province that produces _____" achievements are just a notch below world conquest because while you don't need to conquer every single province, the amount of provinces you need and the fact that they're spread out all over the world means that you're going to be real loving busy for a couple hundred years. The exception is Silk Road, because that one requires a relatively small amount of provinces and is pretty easy to do as the Ottos, Russia, Timurids/Persia, Ming, or one of the bigger Indian nations. Saxony and the Chinaware one probably isn't too bad either, but requires you to take control of the HRE first so it probably still takes a while.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I actually completed the Meissner Porcelain one by pulling a Saxony snake trough the steppes, disgusting borders but it was fun as hell and got me some hilarious AI DoWs.

Seems the main problem with Tropical wood is South America, gonna have to see how I can cheese westernization with colonies and then build enough power to fight Portugal.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Tahirovic posted:

Pretty annoying, by time you're done with Asia there will be europeans holding bunch of tropical wood provinces in Africa and South America. And you can't really rush it because there are populated provinces you need in Andes and deep in central Africa right from the start.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 14, 2015

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
I don't like those kind of achievements, it's too gamey, sort of ruins the experience for me. Currently doing the Romanian one where you start out as Wallachia or Moldavia and form Romania and conquer the Balkans, it's super chill, challenging but not so difficult you have to be gamey (except maybe a no CB war at the start :sweatdrop: ).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:captainpop:

double nine fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 14, 2015

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I would add Sikh Punjab to RabidWeasel's post because holy gently caress being stuck in a three-way situation with Persia, Bahmanis and Jaunpur/Delhi/Bengal all waiting for a misstep :suicide:

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Has anyone ever noticed that Naxos actually has some really bitchin' NI's?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

420 Gank Mid posted:

Has anyone ever noticed that Naxos actually has some really bitchin' NI's?

Almost every 1444 vassal has insanely good events except they're all underneath countries that are hard to get away from.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Transmetropolitan posted:

I would add Sikh Punjab to RabidWeasel's post because holy gently caress being stuck in a three-way situation with Persia, Bahmanis and Jaunpur/Delhi/Bengal all waiting for a misstep :suicide:

I didn't include released states because you're technically changing the start scenario and I think you can't get some / all achievements with them, which is a big deal to some people. At least Punjab is fairly strong in terms of provinces though if you edit them to be Sikh straight out then you're obviously going to have a hard game :v:

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I just read a cool gimmick run where you change from Venice to Byz by like 1490 and get some sweet permanent events that boost RT

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Average Bear posted:

I just read a cool gimmick run where you change from Venice to Byz by like 1490 and get some sweet permanent events that boost RT

Its a darn shame the Byz achievement isn't possible if you tagswitch or release them. But it's cool that anyone who can easily culture swap can get those badass events and modifiers.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I know it's dumb and ahistorical but I would love a Latin Empire formable.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RabidWeasel posted:

I know it's dumb and ahistorical but I would love a Latin Empire formable.

Isn't that just Athens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So uh, how does one keep the Ottomans friendly as Shi'a? I went to war with Qara, made them give up a core to ottomans and now because we neighbour and I am a heretic they hate my guts and want my stuff (they have claims, no cores). What a dick. ... You try to be nice to people.

• Locked thread