Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Use hopperhocks instead of gather golem. More effective, less getting stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Eventually. I'm not that far down the Botania path yet.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

EricFate posted:

Eventually. I'm not that far down the Botania path yet.

Do it; it takes like no effort or resources.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Not as compact as it could be - I had some trouble getting the network topology just right, and I built it next to my infinite water uptake for no real reason.

Anyway, the interface with the recipes dumps the seeds or the charged+nether quartz+redstone in the chest. Subnet of import bus + formation plane (powered by a piece of quartz fiber) pulls out whatever it finds and dumps it on the spectrolus. Spectrolus teleports anything nearby into the chamber (which is filled with water of course). The item grows and when it turns into a pure crystal or fluix crystal, the hopperhock instantly nabs it and stuffs it in the adjacent chest, which is then imported back into the network.

I timed it from start to finish and it took exactly 50 seconds, including the time spent crafting the seeds, the brief delay when the items come out of the formation plane before the spectrolus teleports them, etc.

I set the recipe to craft 2 seeds -> 2 crystals, just because it doesn't take any extra resources and there's no point in leaving 1 ungrown seed sitting in the network.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Clairetic posted:

Not as compact as it could be - I had some trouble getting the network topology just right, and I built it next to my infinite water uptake for no real reason.

Anyway, the interface with the recipes dumps the seeds or the charged+nether quartz+redstone in the chest. Subnet of import bus + formation plane (powered by a piece of quartz fiber) pulls out whatever it finds and dumps it on the spectrolus. Spectrolus teleports anything nearby into the chamber (which is filled with water of course). The item grows and when it turns into a pure crystal or fluix crystal, the hopperhock instantly nabs it and stuffs it in the adjacent chest, which is then imported back into the network.

I timed it from start to finish and it took exactly 50 seconds, including the time spent crafting the seeds, the brief delay when the items come out of the formation plane before the spectrolus teleports them, etc.

I set the recipe to craft 2 seeds -> 2 crystals, just because it doesn't take any extra resources and there's no point in leaving 1 ungrown seed sitting in the network.

very naice

one upgrade that I haven't tested but i bet would work would be to use a bunch of level emitters with crafting cards to put out a signal to a toggle cable, which would turn on the accelerators only when they need to grow crystals

probably unnecessary but it'd save some power

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Are the minecraft authentication servers actually down or is my computer being stupid?

30.5 Days posted:

They're down.

Thank you! I'm also an idiot for not realizing how to check for myself until after I posted :doh:

Magres fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 13, 2015

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They're down.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey guys, is there a repository of cool HQM configs, so I can just drop it into my server? My group just finished blightfall and now that we're playing non-quest modded minecraft, we're finding the lack of goals really killing our play. It was super nice having a book, and doing things in the book getting a sense of progression, while learning mechanics. We've also done BFSR. It doesn't even have to be a tutorial really, just a kind of cool set of quests / poo poo to do.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

okay yeah the dandelifeon is pretty overpowered right now

:frogsiren: BOTANIA DANDELIFEON SPERG :frogsiren:

I came across this design for the dandelifeon, which outputs 6 cells to the dandelifeon's kill zone every step of the simulation, once it's properly set up. It worked pretty well, filling up about a quarter of a mana pool with a potency lens gaia spreader.

However, it spent the greater majority of its time with a full buffer, which means most of the mana output was wasted.

Also, it wasn't automatic.

So, I fixed both of those. Mostly.

You could bury most of this circuitry, but I left it exposed to show it off. I numbered the major parts of the device to aid explanation.

There's some more shots of the various parts behind this link.

1) This detects when the simulation is over. Underneath the sticky piston is an air block, and a redstone torch. When a cell grows in the air block, the redstone torch strongly powers that cell, which can then transmit a signal into the sticky piston, pushing the redstone block into that lead. The lead branches into 2, as well as going underground into an array of six regular pistons (directly underneath the six pistons you can see.) Those pistons push the green wool up, preventing the dandelifeon from actually growing cells in those spots.

2) The central part is a pulse extender. During the first few steps of the simulation, the block that triggers 1's sticky piston will disappear for a brief period. The pulse extender prevents this momentary loss of signal from triggering the Falling Edge Detectors straddling it from operating prematurely. 1 and 2 combine to move the green wool that the underground pistons pushed up back down, as well as trigger 5.

3) Another pulse extender, calibrated to exactly 10 ticks. For whatever reason, 4 does not work unless its input pulse is exactly ten ticks. Serves me right for getting the design for 4 from the internet. The hovering hourglass is set to three seconds.

4) A three-state flip-flop. Both pistons are sticky. The effect of 3 and 4 is that the signal sent into 6 is three seconds on, six seconds off.

5) Reloads the device. It takes its input from 2. There are chained hoppers underneath the visible corporea funnels. The device takes twenty cellular blocks to start. One of the corporea funnels is set to output sixteen blocks (rotate the cellular block in its item frame once) and the rest output one. The open crate receiving the cellular blocks drops them onto the wooden pressure plate for the rannucarpuses to place. (You technically only need one rannucarpus, but more makes things go faster.) The wooden pressure plate outputs into 6.

6) AND gate. The output from 5 is inverted. This way, if 5 is busy placing blocks, 4 cannot cause the simulation to run. 6 outputs to a sticky piston above the flower, which lowers a redstone block. Lowering the redstone block causes the simulation to run.

--------

The effect of all this nonsense is that the simulation runs for three seconds, then pauses for six, to allow the dandelifeon to empty its internal mana buffer. Even with this setup, the flower's buffer still fills, and some mana is lost, but it only occurs towards the end of the simulation and only for a fraction of a second on each iteration. Then, the system can detect when the simulation is over, and reload the inner ring with new cells, and kick it off again.

How much mana, you probably aren't wondering?

This is a single run of the simulation, from step 0 to step 60, starting with a dry mana pool.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Hey guys, is there a repository of cool HQM configs, so I can just drop it into my server? My group just finished blightfall and now that we're playing non-quest modded minecraft, we're finding the lack of goals really killing our play. It was super nice having a book, and doing things in the book getting a sense of progression, while learning mechanics. We've also done BFSR. It doesn't even have to be a tutorial really, just a kind of cool set of quests / poo poo to do.

It's not all great (in fact some of it is pretty bad) but Agrarian Skies 2 will keep you busy for quite a while, and on the whole is pretty well made

The biggest problem with it is the opening, just give everyone a couple stacks of dirt with commands and you can skip like an hour of tedious bullshit

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Magres posted:

Agrarian Skies 2

Speaking of, how is this right now? Last I remember hearing about it it was still a work in progress.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, I'm really just looking for a set of goals for modded SMP. Not like a whole skyblock.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Magres posted:

It's not all great (in fact some of it is pretty bad) but Agrarian Skies 2 will keep you busy for quite a while, and on the whole is pretty well made

The biggest problem with it is the opening, just give everyone a couple stacks of dirt with commands and you can skip like an hour of tedious bullshit

This is true. The slow and tedious process you must go through to get from your first tree to your first cobble-gen setup is not fun at all. Neither is early ore generation. Once you are able to streamline the more rudimentary tasks, it becomes a whole lot more fun and the milestones feel a lot more meaningful.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

EricFate posted:

This is true. The slow and tedious process you must go through to get from your first tree to your first cobble-gen setup is not fun at all. Neither is early ore generation. Once you are able to streamline the more rudimentary tasks, it becomes a whole lot more fun and the milestones feel a lot more meaningful.

I didn't mind early ore generation as much, because while it's still pretty it's at least better than literally waiting for your trees to grow so you can farm dirt and doing nothing because there is literally nothing to be done until the goddamned trees grow. Jumping to a basic setup of like a Stone Generator, an Auto Sifter, and an Auto-Hammerer would make for a good starting point to AS2. Let the players start with a taste of automation, even if it's horribly inefficient automation that you have to babysit. Starting the player off with no automation in a modpack that is almost 100% about automating as many tasks as possible is dumb.

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 13, 2015

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.
I've been playing Moderation: Permabanned for awhile, but I've run into a problem. I can't reload the world I've been playing on for the last 2 weeks, it just crashes the game the moment it seems to load. The generated crash report is here.

mechanicalFactory fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 14, 2015

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

mechanicalFactory posted:

I've been playing Moderation: Permabanned for awhile, but I've run into a problem. I can't reload the world I've been playing on for the last 2 weeks, it just crashes the game the moment it seems to load. The generated crash report is here.

Looks like a problem with EE

I don't know if removing EE starting up, removing any EE stuff then adding EE back in would be a problem but...

mechanicalFactory
Dec 24, 2011

I could calculate your chances of survival... but you won't like it.
That helped out! It wasn't actually EE itself, but another mod I added, Equivilant Energestics, and removing it allowed me to resume my game. The crashes may have been due to the large number of autocrafting options the mod gives to AE networks.

Thanks for the help!

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

mechanicalFactory posted:

That helped out! It wasn't actually EE itself, but another mod I added, Equivilant Energestics, and removing it allowed me to resume my game. The crashes may have been due to the large number of autocrafting options the mod gives to AE networks.

Thanks for the help!

E E - Equivalent Energistics

I guess you thought i meant Equivalence Exchange

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
Is AgSkies 2 only on curse or has someone uploaded it to technic?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Grey Elephants posted:

Curse "exclusive". But you can easily set up a MultiMC instance to run it without the launcher once it downloads and installs the files.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Grey Elephants posted:

It was uploaded to technic for a multiplayer server someone was hosting, but it hasn't updated because that would break the HQM progress they have/had.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Clairetic posted:

Do it; it takes like no effort or resources.

Nice. Powered through enough of Botania to get these and the 2nd Tier armor set. I agree. The hopperhocks are a much simpler solution that allowed me to rip out and repurpose a lot of obtrusive transport piping. Used that gear to finish up the Thaumcraft series of quests, got the primal pearl, and now I need to decide which remaining quest is going to be less of a pain in the rear end. Blood Magic progression from Tier 5 to Tier 6, or bees.

Probably Blood Magic.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Bees.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Glory of Arioch posted:

very naice

one upgrade that I haven't tested but i bet would work would be to use a bunch of level emitters with crafting cards to put out a signal to a toggle cable, which would turn on the accelerators only when they need to grow crystals

probably unnecessary but it'd save some power

Do the level emitters only go when the crafting job is happening? or what?

I am running a mining laser pretty much constantly so the power draw is trivial by comparison but it's a nice idea and if it can be done elegantly, why not.

EricFate posted:

Nice. Powered through enough of Botania to get these and the 2nd Tier armor set. I agree. The hopperhocks are a much simpler solution that allowed me to rip out and repurpose a lot of obtrusive transport piping. Used that gear to finish up the Thaumcraft series of quests, got the primal pearl, and now I need to decide which remaining quest is going to be less of a pain in the rear end. Blood Magic progression from Tier 5 to Tier 6, or bees.

Probably Blood Magic.
BTW another goon (I forget who; sorry!) pointed out that the horn of the wild + flower bag + ring of magnetization makes for a really powerful mass-flower-gathering combo. You just run out in the middle of the field, hold down the button and everything breaks and flies into your pants.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Clairetic posted:

Do the level emitters only go when the crafting job is happening? or what?

i believe so yes but i have not tried it

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Ok maybe this is old news but FTB Departed is a really bad modpack. It's not even because of AoA2's bad gameplay decisions (and there are a few of those). It's because the settings make no sense. AoA has a bunch of areas where you are not supposed to be flying around but there's like four different ways to get flight. The Tinker's Construct settings are so loving broken the book says materials have one higher mining level than they actually have- cobalt can't even mine itself! This means it's outright impossible to progress through the ores via tinker's construct tools, and vanilla tools aren't even disabled! Not that it matters, of course, since Thaumcraft is present and you can just make a focus of equal trade to bypass everything. AoA is supposed to have its own gear progression, but since TTKAMI and Botania are present, you can bypass all that with Ichorcloth and an Excalibur.

I just don't understand how they expected people to play this thing. Did they put any thought into it or did they just slap a bunch of popular magic mods on top of AoA2?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Ok maybe this is old news but FTB is really bad

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

also the gimmick behind iguana tweaks (which is what is causing that "thing can't mine itself" nonsense) is that you have to grind out MINING XP on the tool to increase its mining level

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Grinding is a good mechanic that adds depth to gameplay for many games and is a good thing hail Satan

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Glory of Arioch posted:

also the gimmick behind iguana tweaks (which is what is causing that "thing can't mine itself" nonsense) is that you have to grind out MINING XP on the tool to increase its mining level

No, that mechanic is supposed to let you mine the material the pick is made out of, but you have to level it up to mine something BETTER than the material. Mob heads drop frequently enough you can just slap one on it to avoid having to grind the pick, too. It's just broken in Departed.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Iguana tinker tweaks is a really good tool for modpack authors but using it unconfigured is lazy and terrible.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i made a modpack for some of my friends but i couldn't figure out how to turn off the loving mining level poo poo and the vanilla tools being disabled so i just deleted that poo poo

it's a shame too because i liked being able to level up tools (not to unlock poo poo, just to get more modifiers and whatnot) and be able to replace parts, oh well

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

i made a modpack for some of my friends but i couldn't figure out how to turn off the loving mining level poo poo and the vanilla tools being disabled so i just deleted that poo poo

it's a shame too because i liked being able to level up tools (not to unlock poo poo, just to get more modifiers and whatnot) and be able to replace parts, oh well

It's pretty much like 30.5 days said, it CAN be good if set up right, but it's default setup is terrible and awful and half the things it does are dumb. To make it worse, setting it up well is a HUGE pain and takes a ton of config tweaking, with its horrible 20 different configs that all do different things setup.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Ok maybe this is old news but FTB Departed is a really bad modpack. It's not even because of AoA2's bad gameplay decisions (and there are a few of those). It's because the settings make no sense. AoA has a bunch of areas where you are not supposed to be flying around but there's like four different ways to get flight. The Tinker's Construct settings are so loving broken the book says materials have one higher mining level than they actually have- cobalt can't even mine itself! This means it's outright impossible to progress through the ores via tinker's construct tools, and vanilla tools aren't even disabled! Not that it matters, of course, since Thaumcraft is present and you can just make a focus of equal trade to bypass everything. AoA is supposed to have its own gear progression, but since TTKAMI and Botania are present, you can bypass all that with Ichorcloth and an Excalibur.

I just don't understand how they expected people to play this thing. Did they put any thought into it or did they just slap a bunch of popular magic mods on top of AoA2?

sounds like they have iguana tweaks in, I had that in my modpack,, you have to level up your tool so you have to work on lower stuff until the experience is enough to allow you to mine the cobalt.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

in the iguana config you can set the level needed to mine different ores, it takes time but you could allow diamond to be mined with flint if you wanted.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I have a question, there's a certain block that I'm trying to remember the name of that I used at one point in FTB Infinity (before I saw the light and switched to Technic :v:)

It let you see through everything to the infinite space beyond - being in a room with the walls lined with it was like floating in a void world. Which was actually pretty zen, but at this point I want to use it to hide cabling between floating islands in AS2.

Alternately, does anyone know of a way to render cabling entirely invisible? The block I'm thinking of would kind of do it (though it would also make you see through anything behind it) but I'd love something better, because I want to run AE2 cabling between my islands with some P2P tunnels so I can have an AE2 network that's connected to all of the floating islands I'm planning, and to do so without running 8-10 Quantum Network Bridges because paying several thousand RF/t to wirelessly connect my base sounds awful.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
You want the OpenBlocks' "sky block", I believe. When placed it looks like the sky box of the world

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
gently caress, not in AS2. Thank you though! It was really bugging me that I couldn't remember what the hell I had used.

Any other ideas? I really hate how cabling through the air looks, though I could also just actually make pathways between my islands and hide the cabling underneath, and figure out some kind of unique transition between each island, which would be cool.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
You know, reading all this talk about iguana tweeks made me think of something, an alternative take on MC's tool progression.

Anything can mine anything, but using the wrong tools causes massively increased damage to it, lower yields, increased hunger, debuffs or a combination of and possibly more. What you get depends on how "wrong" the tool is for the job.

You want to mine diamonds with wooden tools? Sure you can, it'll cost you a pick a mine and make you sick from the effort. I guess you could make the secondary effects magnified if you use a low-durability tool to mine something way above its grade too. Use the last of your wooden tools bar to sneak in mining a diamond? That's going to be alot of hunger.

It'd need work to make sure its not horribly unfun, but its gotta be a good alternative to "ugh, cant mine this yet." or accidentally destroying something because you didn't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
Is AgSkies 2 still in dev, or has it officially come out? I want to play it, but not if quests are still being added, because HQM sucks.