Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Max is full-on crazy he's only in it for the sweet as V8 and everything else is tangential. Just finished this game today (little over 30 hours) and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Also play as full-beard Max at all times to better fit the tone.

Full beard max with bandana and goggles, brother.

OOOOH YEAHHHHHH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

TRON JEREMY posted:

This game is extremely fun, and has a lot of good ideas, but the writing is a loving embarrassment from top to bottom.

I agree 99%. STICKS AND STONES, BREAK HIS BONES! and PAINT MY NAME IN THEIR BLOOD got me pretty :black101:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TRON JEREMY posted:

This game is extremely fun, and has a lot of good ideas, but the writing is a loving embarrassment from top to bottom.

I think Chumbucket is very well written. :unsmith:

The rest are a mixed bag, though, including Max who is all over the place.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I am considering picking this game up, but I haven't played Arkham Knight yet, between the two which would you guys go for?

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 361 days!
Chum's lines are very consistently written, which helps a lot. Max's lines are almost universally cliches (direct quote ex: "i want it, i go get it. what happens, happens"), but delivered in one of three lower octaves and often lacking a consistent voice besides 'crazy rear end in a top hat'

Wishlist so it's not just whining:

- respawn convoys with a Scrapulance at the head
- opus upgrade tiers each unlock a range of visual options

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Meridian posted:

I am considering picking this game up, but I haven't played Arkham Knight yet, between the two which would you guys go for?

I think Arkham Knight was a better game.... if you could play it. PC release was a giant mess and you basically played the lottery on whether the game would run well for you (I got lucky). If you're looking at console, I'd go for Arkham Knight first. That's not to take away from this game at all, but the Arkham series are amongst my favorite all-time games.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

How are you late for poo poo in the post apocalypse? What, was his schedule too packed or his alarm clock didn't go off or something? What a doofus.

He got jumped by raiders and actually fought his way clear to get there, but by the time he arrived the ship had sailed, including his family who presumably gave him up for dead. All that effort and fighting and he was too late.

To look on a brighter note though, they'll probably soon all be reunited! .....in death :smith:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Meridian posted:

Mad Max. Arkham Knight was an utter disappointment from the contrived story, excessive campaign length, unengaging side quests, and the batmobile sections that wore thin awfully quick. Obviously my opinion on this. Many others have loved it, although the complaints I had were pretty common.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Leather Bear posted:

Mad Max. Arkham Knight was an utter disappointment from the contrived story, excessive campaign length, unengaging side quests, and the batmobile sections that wore thin awfully quick. Obviously my opinion on this. Many others have loved it, although the complaints I had were pretty common.

Did seem to be a lot of people commenting on padded out batmobile sections, which is unfortunate. I played the absolute poo poo out of Arkham City though so it's got that going for it, I guess. At the same time I love me some post-apocalypse and Fallout is still a few months out.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I mostly really like this game, but man, I hate the way checkpointing is set up when you're not invading an outpost or doing a story mission. Just drop me back near where I was if I gently caress up and die while doing side stuff, don't kick me all the way back to the last stronghold I was at, gently caress...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Max is a dude who tries very hard to be a cold rear end in a top hat but he literally cannot stop helping and caring about people. This is like, SUPER BRIEFLY touched on by Griffa in the game but eh, :effort:
I thought the game did a pretty good job of making him extremely helpful to those around him, seeing as how he singlehandedly kills hundreds of people, blows up dozens of cars, dismantles dozens of war camps, liberates multiple sectors, and supports several arguably benevolent leaders (and furnishes up their strongholds just cuz - no really, to fully fix up each stronghold you have to donate 3000 scrap out of your own pocket, for no tangible in-game benefit; not even an achievement or anything).

He may say he's just in it for the V8, but along the way he gets sidetracked into being a one-man revolutionary army. Then again the game *is* made by the people who made the Just Cause games... v:v:v

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Xenomrph posted:

Then again the game *is* made by the people who made the Just Cause games... v:v:v

My Kingdom for the Just Cause 2 Grapple Harpoon.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Xenomrph posted:

I thought the game did a pretty good job of making him extremely helpful to those around him, seeing as how he singlehandedly kills hundreds of people, blows up dozens of cars, dismantles dozens of war camps, liberates multiple sectors, and supports several arguably benevolent leaders (and furnishes up their strongholds just cuz - no really, to fully fix up each stronghold you have to donate 3000 scrap out of your own pocket, for no tangible in-game benefit; not even an achievement or anything).

He may say he's just in it for the V8, but along the way he gets sidetracked into being a one-man revolutionary army. Then again the game *is* made by the people who made the Just Cause games... v:v:v

The other part was every camp you go to is filled with Scrotus or Buzzards or ________ enemies, the only 'innocent' people you find out in the wastes are the little contact missions where the person tells you about the world, you share some loot, or the people who want water. Everyone else in the wasteland is a not-recycling jerk.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheJoker138 posted:

I mostly really like this game, but man, I hate the way checkpointing is set up when you're not invading an outpost or doing a story mission. Just drop me back near where I was if I gently caress up and die while doing side stuff, don't kick me all the way back to the last stronghold I was at, gently caress...

The checkpoint system is so horrible in this game because it makes me never experiment or play around like the game supposedly wants me to do.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Things I was too dumb to realize until 99% of the way through the game:

• You can use the grapple to pull down ladders that are otherwise out of reach. I always went through the strongholds the hard way to get to them, thinking they were shortcuts for if you came back :doh:

• Bases on the map turn gold if you have completely cleared them of all optional content.

• You only need to complete Death Runs in the Archangels to get the achievement. :cripes:

• There is a hidden Death Run whose icon doesn't appear on the map and only pops up (temporarily) if you physically drive to it - it's where the Rockstar DLC car can be raced, but there are also Archangel options there necessary to get the two Death Run achievements (the race in every Death Run achievement doesn't seem to be linked to this).

• The scrap/water icon on the far edge of The Dunes that seems to be sitting inside a domed building with no visible entrances is just the top of the area you explore while doing the Glory mission, and is accessed from the airport entrance halfway across the map :mad:

I am not a smart man.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

How old is Max supposed to be? He's old enough to have had a wife and kid before the apocalypse, yet everyone, even the people who look older than him, talk and act like the wasteland is the only life they've ever known. I get that no one, including Max, is really sane anymore, but still seems weird.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm now playing MGSV after my 70 hours (and 59% completion) time in Mad Max. Gotta say, the people that turned their nose up at Mad Max because it came out the same time as MGSV are crazy. I like MGSV, it's clearly a very good game and I'm going to play a lot of it, but even a few hours in I can't stop myself thinking how I had way more fun while playing Mad Max. Sneaking into a camp and methodically eliminating patrols and guards before sneaking back out is fine, but there's a lot to be said for just ramming a gate and punching and suplexing my way through a mess of War Boys.

Buy both, play both, enjoy both. Don't try and tell me Mad Max is inferior though. Very different experiences that both offer a very good time in different ways.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mylan posted:

How old is Max supposed to be? He's old enough to have had a wife and kid before the apocalypse, yet everyone, even the people who look older than him, talk and act like the wasteland is the only life they've ever known. I get that no one, including Max, is really sane anymore, but still seems weird.

That's a recurring problem in the Mad Max movies that I'm fairly certain they never have and never will address. v:v:v

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mylan posted:

I never got this vibe from the movies. Gyro Captain, Auntie Entity, etc. all talk about the past. In Fury Road the characters that are older than Max are all brutal despots and hucksters whose agendas aren't served by public reminiscence.

The running joke of course has always been that just the patch of Australia Max drives into past the skull/crossbones sign in MM1 is crazy and where everything takes place and the rest of the world made a full recovery and is totally normal.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Mylan posted:

Max's story is essentially a legend retold by others. A tale passed along through wasteland dwellers that got embellished and confused in the telling. As such, nothing is inconsistent. The storytellers just know he was a cop before The Fall, that he had a wife and child, that he drove a V8 interceptor that he lost. Like any myth, the details change. Was his kid a boy or a girl? Doesn't matter. When did he lose the car, during Mad Max 2 or later in Fury Road? Doesn't matter. How old is he? In legend he is always seen as younger, stronger, more powerful than reality, he's larger than life.

Max is always as young as he needs to be. He may not even exist in many of the stories told about him. A hundred years later there will still be muttered tales of the ex-cop who recently defeated some villain of the wasteland and saved the innocent. No, I didn't see it myself, but Legless Bob over there met a wanderer who definitely witnessed it.

Everything is canon, but nothing is for certain.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hell, Griffa asks him straight up how old he is and what year it is and Max doesn't know. Griff might not be real. I kind of like the ambiguous reality take on it here.&

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 361 days!
When I finished the game, after the credits, there was an audio bug - everything except voices were muted. I guess.. he was in the plains of silence all along.........

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm now playing MGSV after my 70 hours (and 59% completion) time in Mad Max. Gotta say, the people that turned their nose up at Mad Max because it came out the same time as MGSV are crazy. I like MGSV, it's clearly a very good game and I'm going to play a lot of it, but even a few hours in I can't stop myself thinking how I had way more fun while playing Mad Max. Sneaking into a camp and methodically eliminating patrols and guards before sneaking back out is fine, but there's a lot to be said for just ramming a gate and punching and suplexing my way through a mess of War Boys.

Buy both, play both, enjoy both. Don't try and tell me Mad Max is inferior though. Very different experiences that both offer a very good time in different ways.

I thought this too, until I started getting some really fun poo poo in MGS V. I get Metal Gear withdrawal when I'm not playing it.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Parkingtigers posted:

Max's story is essentially a legend retold by others. A tale passed along through wasteland dwellers that got embellished and confused in the telling. As such, nothing is inconsistent. The storytellers just know he was a cop before The Fall, that he had a wife and child, that he drove a V8 interceptor that he lost. Like any myth, the details change. Was his kid a boy or a girl? Doesn't matter. When did he lose the car, during Mad Max 2 or later in Fury Road? Doesn't matter. How old is he? In legend he is always seen as younger, stronger, more powerful than reality, he's larger than life.

Max is always as young as he needs to be. He may not even exist in many of the stories told about him. A hundred years later there will still be muttered tales of the ex-cop who recently defeated some villain of the wasteland and saved the innocent. No, I didn't see it myself, but Legless Bob over there met a wanderer who definitely witnessed it.

max calls them light bulbs when others get angry that he doesn't know them as lighties, super huge continuity break to me

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Max is timeless.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Whenever Max dies, another wastelander takes his armor and his shotgun and his car and continues his legend.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

-Troika- posted:

Whenever Max dies, another wastelander takes his armor and his shotgun and his car and continues his legend.

It's like The Santa Clause where the person who kills Max becomes Max.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Segmentation Fault posted:

It's like The Santa Clause where the person who kills Max becomes Max.

I prefer 'The Dread Wastelander Mad Max' theory, the name is passed down to whoever rides shotgun when the current Max decides to retire.

The fact he also has a Schroedingers Interceptor (both totalled and fully functional at the same time) is pretty inconceivable though.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Parkingtigers posted:

I can't believe how good Mad Max is and how much I WANT to play it no matter how boring or dumb whatever mission is - it is just loving fun to go nuts and beat the poo poo out of everyone and it never gets boring. I'm 25 hours into Metal Gear Solid and most of the time I am like well this is fun and all but I could be playing mad max and then I go play mad max and forget about metal gear solid for the entire weekend.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Or maybe he's just a Highlander. He's not been beheaded yet, so obviously he's always going to look kind of young while still having a pre-apocalypse family and job while everyone else from before the fall is an old fart (Immortan Joe, Gutgash, Pinkeye).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Powershift posted:

I'm still hankerin for a full-on mad max mod for GTA V.

This game was cool, but the vehicle physics in GTA are so, so much better suited for a mad max game.

This is a baffling statement to me, since GTA car controls have consistently been the worst thing in the universe. I guess it'd be realistic to Mad Max if the cars couldn't be steered properly at all, is what you're saying?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Powershift posted:

but if the bodies are bright yellow you can interact with them!

No, it's just terrible. it feels like a mobile phone game. the cars bounce in weird ways, and it's nearly imposible to get your car upside down, if anything other than your wheels touch the ground the car bounces in stupid ways. it doesn't feel or look natural. in GTA if you launch at a janky angle and your front corner hits, it digs in and the car rolls as it actually would. here the car just bounces down the hill bouncing off that corner.

Crazy talk. The three rolling here is Pretty natural, up until the car hits a certain angle where it gets aggressively pushed back. This is good and deliberate and necessary, because unlike in gta you are frequently off road, and most of the jumps you hit are natural and you're getting heavily sideswipe constantly. You would spend more time on your roof of rolling if the car wasn't roll limited.

The gta handling mechanics from 5 would be fine, but what we have here is fine.

I could stand to see the rear end step out a little more and gta does that, but at the same time the drift happy squirrel handling is prone to spinning out on an impact and that wouldn't be fun in this game.

Clearly the best game to borrow driving mechanics from is driver San Francisco.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

ShineDog posted:

I really enjoyed Driver: SF but I kind of hated all those optional races where you drive cars with really poo poo handling. But if Mad Max's death runs taught me anything, is that no matter how poo poo your car, a maxed out shotgun will win any race, since level 4 shotgun doesn't care about armor on tires or gas tank :v:

But man, nothing better than to tool around town in your orange car (its handling took me some getting used to, but just ended up feeling right), or race along the highway for the fun of it.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 14, 2015

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

ShineDog posted:

Oh god, that would be amazing. D:SF pretty much had the best and most fun driving mechanics I've ever encountered in an actiony kind of game.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
E: whoops someone's already said this

I always assumed the whole "Max is a rolling ball of death incarnate" was just a way of Max seeming like the legends a wastelander might tell others about after the events of the game.

Like, maybe Max put together a perfunctory car and helped some people along the way, but in the tales he drove a silver chariot of death that belched flames with the best marksman and mechanic at his back ever and he corpsed a million guys and liberated all the wastes forever.

It ties in with the whole "Level up your legend" mechanic where as you get higher legend ratings you're capable of more ridiculous poo poo and fits the ending of the game too.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I wish it was like Road Warrior where people wear assless leather chaps, cricket pads and gridiron armour and fight with toy bow and arrows :colbert:

e] imagine the internet meltdown that would happen if there was anything even close to the murder-rape that goes on in Road Warrior...

e] and the main villain gets introduced as "THE AYATOLLAH OF ROCK AAAAND ROLLAH!!"

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 14, 2015

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

very dark, avalanche

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Jerusalem posted:

[*] You can use the grapple to pull down ladders that are otherwise out of reach. I always went through the strongholds the hard way to get to them, thinking they were shortcuts for if you came back :doh:

:psyduck: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Mylan posted:

CJacobs posted:

That's a recurring problem in the Mad Max movies that I'm fairly certain they never have and never will address. v:v:v

Read a great headcanon that Max's mind is so completely and utterly focused on survival that it forgot to let him age and die, and it's impossible for him to realize this.

He has to explain what lightbulbs and churches are to Chum, despite Chum very clearly being older than him. He was a cop before the Fall, but Immortan Joe is old as poo poo and had been ruling the Citadel for many, many years beforehand. According to the prequel comics for Fury Road (which are canon apparently, since Miller himself was one of the writers, or at least is credited) MM, Road Warrior, and Thunderdome all precede Fury Road.

I dunno I just really dig this weirdo abstract concept. v:v:v

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I feel like my 'Max is a Highlander' theory addresses such incongruities just fine :colbert:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Also there's nothing to say the apocalypse was instant. Things were very bad even in mm1 despite a functioning government. It's entirely possible that other parts of Australia were even further gone, with early 20s max one of the last cops in the country.

I'm pretty sure there's a "badlands do not enter" sign you can see to support that argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Psykmoe posted:

I feel like my 'Max is a Highlander' theory addresses such incongruities just fine :colbert:

You have your Highlander Max, I have my Immortal Desert Wanderer Max. Either way, I like the way you think. :smug:

• Locked thread