Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Lantern control players can't flick the 0 cards in their hand, so goons should love them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gorrister posted:

Wtf is signal the rats?

it's the platonic ideal of combo decks

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I thought about buying into this deck earlier, but now I'm sure all the cards will spike.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
This is the most amazing thing ever.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Lantern Control just beat BBD on Splinter Twin

This is proof that god exists

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I hope the Modern meta becomes 50% Lantern decks. I'm sure nothing can go badly there.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

qbert posted:

I hope the Modern meta becomes 50% Lantern decks. I'm sure nothing can go badly there.

If it's 50% Lantern decks, then the world is ready to Burn.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mr. Peepers posted:

I thought about buying into this deck earlier, but now I'm sure all the cards will spike.

There are only a couple things that could spike. Bridge, definitely. But most of the money in this deck is from the Opals, Bridges, and Glimmervoids.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Gorrister posted:

Wtf is signal the rats?

Nice troll, but I will humor you.

4x Blood Crypt
4x Stomping Ground
1x Forest
1x Mountain
4x Misty Rainforest
4x Arid Mesa
4x Signal the Clans
38x Relentless Rats

If you are a good shuffler you can go down to four fetches and add four more rats

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Ramos posted:

If it's 50% Lantern decks, then the world is ready to Burn.

Lantern crushed Burn in the Quarters. Lantern is all.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

qbert posted:

Lantern crushed Burn in the Quarters. Lantern is all.

Chord for Kataki all day long baby :getin:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Terrible Horse posted:

I'm shocked that Hetrick was rude and Mormon, mostly because I've only see him be very nice and kinda gay.
Its entirely possible he matured, I think he was around 19 when I used to play against him. I do have a funny story about him taking down our relatively competitive FNM with the stone forge event deck after stoneforge was banned. He played a stone forge and his opponent asked "Is't that card banned?" and he just replied "Yep" and kept playing. Good poo poo.

That modern GP final insane, gently caress all the haters in chat saying it was boring. That match was really good and had a lot of interesting decision trees.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

Nice troll, but I will humor you.

4x Blood Crypt
4x Stomping Ground
1x Forest
1x Mountain
4x Misty Rainforest
4x Arid Mesa
4x Signal the Clans
38x Relentless Rats

If you are a good shuffler you can go down to four fetches and add four more rats

I don't understand why signal the clans is in there, since you don't get rats that way. They all have the same name.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Captain Capitalism posted:

I don't understand why signal the clans is in there, since you don't get rats that way. They all have the same name.

:thejoke:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

You Signal the Rats, it's a psychological play.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
lantern control is a lame name.

suggestions for a new name:
barber shop
barber chop
two bits
Farenheit 451

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Molybdenum posted:

Farenheit 451

This one.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

tell me you don't piss in fear when your opponent fails to find on a signal the clans

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Molybdenum posted:

barber shop
barber chop
two bits
Farenheit 451

My wife left me

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Part of the reason that Wizards is printing the Ingest keyword is that so you can combine it with Jester's Cap so you can beat Signal the Rats with Extirpate eventually and it makes me loving sick to know this truth in my heart

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

To signal to your opponent what they are about to lose to.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Molybdenum posted:

barber shop
barber chop
two bits
Farenheit 451

[Control Top] Pantyhose

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Barbershop is miserable to play against but I like to see weird off-brand brews win events. Hopefully he was running the super-secret Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas alt-wincon :getin:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
All I'm saying is that it says a lot about your upcoming set that if they spoiled Elvish Mystic it would be the biggest "holy poo poo" moment of spoiler season :(

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Also it seems like it has some weaknesses. Shatterstorm and Creeping Corrosion are better against it than Stony Silence. Chording into Kitaki could work but they also have Cage to stop it. If you mull to have one in your hand, they need Thoughtseize or to mill/surgical it out.

I mean, I love the idea of this deck but would hate to play against it.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

black potus posted:

like does he only suck a little bit of the dick or what

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjCfE1n6nW4

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
Lantern is hideously unfun to play against. My problem with it is that it's not really a Control deck, it's a Prison deck. Traditional Control decks by their very nature are interactive, and need to be in order to control the game state before landing a win condition. Lantern's problem, like other Prison decks, is that it's sole purpose is to prevent any interaction at any cost, and for the most part it's "win condition" is to simply wait for it's opponent to run out of patience or willingness to play rather than actually try to win the game. Not that the deck doesn't have its weaknesses, either, but most decks aren't going to have a lot of main deck answers to Ensnaring Bridge, save for anything that plays Kolaghan's Command or Abrupt Decay. Say what you will about the other "unfun" decks of the format (Twin, Bloom Titan, etc.), but at least those decks will just loving kill me, end the game, and move on to the next so that we can play some Magic, rather than sitting around going to time, and waiting for me to give up.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003
I agree with people saying that twin isn't too good, etc. but I think Wizards has shown consistently in modern that they ban on ubiquity of decks rather than quality. Jund with deathrite was a 50-50 matchup against the field (except tron) and got banned for being played too much. UR delver got played too much and made two cards get banned, including one that it didn't even play. I think the only recent ban you could argue was "too good" is pod and that's a real stretch, it's just a 3 mana value card.

Their policy is more about format diversity than whether an individual card is too good. If they think that twin is seeing too much play they will either ban exarch (if they want to nerf) or twin (if they want to kill).

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tailfnz posted:

Lantern is hideously unfun to play against. My problem with it is that it's not really a Control deck, it's a Prison deck. Traditional Control decks by their very nature are interactive, and need to be in order to control the game state before landing a win condition. Lantern's problem, like other Prison decks, is that it's sole purpose is to prevent any interaction at any cost, and for the most part it's "win condition" is to simply wait for it's opponent to run out of patience or willingness to play rather than actually try to win the game. Not that the deck doesn't have its weaknesses, either, but most decks aren't going to have a lot of main deck answers to Ensnaring Bridge, save for anything that plays Kolaghan's Command or Abrupt Decay. Say what you will about the other "unfun" decks of the format (Twin, Bloom Titan, etc.), but at least those decks will just loving kill me, end the game, and move on to the next so that we can play some Magic, rather than sitting around going to time, and waiting for me to give up.
Once lantern has its lock it has its win condition. It's frustrating having to play out a game when you only have like a 0.5% out but I think lantern actually finishes faster than a lot of traditional control decks.

e: and at least it's faster than legacy's prison deck, Miracles

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Explain the most recent storm bans then.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

I agree with people saying that twin isn't too good, etc. but I think Wizards has shown consistently in modern that they ban on ubiquity of decks rather than quality. Jund with deathrite was a 50-50 matchup against the field (except tron) and got banned for being played too much. UR delver got played too much and made two cards get banned, including one that it didn't even play. I think the only recent ban you could argue was "too good" is pod and that's a real stretch, it's just a 3 mana value card.

Their policy is more about format diversity than whether an individual card is too good. If they think that twin is seeing too much play they will either ban exarch (if they want to nerf) or twin (if they want to kill).

Lantern hits a lot of the same buttons that got Sensei's Divining Top banned in Extended (and Modern by extension).

And I don't know that I agree that Lantern is uninteractive. Its just interactive in the most unfun way possible - showing you poo poo you want and then taking it away from you.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

eSporks posted:

Explain the most recent storm bans then.

They hate storm and dredge.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The funniest way to kill a Lantern player is just playing the Rack though.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Angry Grimace posted:

Lantern hits a lot of the same buttons that got Sensei's Divining Top banned in Extended (and Modern by extension).

And I don't know that I agree that Lantern is uninteractive. Its just interactive in the most unfun way possible - showing you poo poo you want and then taking it away from you.

Ultimately, wasn't Sensei's Divining Top (and Second Sunrise) banned for making turns take too long, rather than games? Lantern Control doesn't really have "going off" turns, and it lacks the "i'm totally not stalling :rolleyes:" that Top activations bring.

I don't actually think it's healthy to have around because it's very much an example of "Fun is zero-sum", but it's not broken in that sense.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't think it really does though. Lantern is a slow deck and the game itself gets drawn out, but the turns are short unlike SDT and eggs.

E:FB

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

The only similarity is in long games. While that's the given reason for the top ban, it was also banned at the start of the format without a lot of info. The major difference is that lantern isn't the best effect for what it does (or maybe it is, but very few decks want the effect). SDT would be the best card filtering in modern by a mile; I think game length is incidental.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Tailfnz posted:

Would like to empty quote this. I've played against it a grand total of 2 games (one casual match) and I can honestly say I would rather watch paint dry or go to the dentist. It's boring, it takes a long time, and I can't personally understand how someone could enjoy playing it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

The funniest way to kill a Lantern player is just playing the Rack though.

So what you're saying is bring 8 Rack to my next modern tournament.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Night Danger Moose posted:

Would like to empty quote this. I've played against it a grand total of 2 games (one casual match) and I can honestly say I would rather watch paint dry or go to the dentist. It's boring, it takes a long time, and I can't personally understand how someone could enjoy playing it.

This is actually very easy: The reason you play Cuneo-style decks is that you believe all fun is zero-sum; and that the best way to have more fun is to make your opponent have less fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Niton posted:

Ultimately, wasn't Sensei's Divining Top (and Second Sunrise) banned for making turns take too long, rather than games? Lantern Control doesn't really have "going off" turns, and it lacks the "i'm totally not stalling :rolleyes:" that Top activations bring.

I don't actually think it's healthy to have around because it's very much an example of "Fun is zero-sum", but it's not broken in that sense.

Sensei's Divining Top was banned for all the reasons everyone hates Miracles, including constant shuffling when used in combination with Fetchlands. Lantern Control is probably worse when it comes to shuffling. Not to mention we only have one guy we know of on this deck and he happens to be a relatively speedy player.

quote:

"The constant activating of Divining Top bogs games down, which ultimately leads to an increase in the number of matches that go to time and beyond, which in turn leads to tournaments running much longer than they have historically. Furthermore, the Top encourages players to maximize the number of shuffle effects they play in a deck and the constant shuffling, cutting, presenting to an opponent to repeat the process, and then continuation of a turn exacerbated the situation."

This was, of course, on top of Counter-top being a thing that was hideously unfun to play against.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 14, 2015

• Locked thread