Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Tusen Takk posted:

test

edit: I think that might be too big. hrmph

What the hell is that horror of a avatar supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ilkhan posted:

Yup.
Giants hosed up twice, both by throwing the ball on that last third down and by not going for it on 4th.
Welp.

Go Cowboys.

And the refs hosed up with the worst loving PI call of the night, giving the cowboys the touchdown that made that all matter.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I think I mentioned this, but my boss bought a car from the same Carmax I bought my car from.

... 18% interest. They'd be charging him more, except apparently there's some sort of law that makes it illegal to charge more than 18% APR on a car that's 2 years old or newer. Anything more than 2 years old was being quoted at 24-28% APR.

He got a drat nice 2013 Altima with a whole 12k on the odometer for a very reasonable price, but he's getting bent over and raped on the APR. Minimum payment: $385/month. :stonklol: It's a base model, but the base is still a really nice car, and it still has some options like steering wheel stereo controls, and bluetooth built into the factory stereo. I was pretty surprised to see a pedal for the parking brake though - I know most generations of Altimas had a center-console parking brake handle instead of a pedal. I wanted to kick him in the balls when he told me what kind of MPG he gets from it.. he's averaging 26-28 city (he has a CVT). I get 20-22 city with a smaller engine in a much smaller car with a manual transmission. :sigh:

After hearing the interest rates he was being offered, I was one of many pushing him to just buy a car for cash (he got $3800 from insurance for his Kia - $3800 will get you even a mid 00s Accord in decent shape these days, and he was a mechanic at one point, so he can do his own maintenance). He's going to wind up paying nearly double the sticker price unless he manages to refinance it or pay it off early.

My car is (finally) almost paid off. Which is good, since in typical GM fashion, poo poo is starting to break now that I've broken 100k. Current issues: broken trim on the drivers door (missing for almost a year, only $25 to replace, just been lazy), a sunroof that keeps jamming and pops up to say hi when you slam a door or go through the dryer in a carwash, and the a/c compressor is getting noisy. It's started burning a tiny amount of oil - about 1/2 a quart every 7k. And that's probably just from the valve cover gasket leaking a bit. Still on the original battery from 2005. Mechanically, the only issue I have is it grinds occasionally while shifting when the engine is cold, but I'm pretty sure just changing the gearbox oil will fix that (too bad the drat drain plug is a oval office hair away from the subframe, otherwise it would have been done when I bought the car nearly 3 years ago, and at least once since then).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm going to run some wire tomorrow, if I'm not as sick as a dog, on the bus. I already have planned on a large 4 or 6 awg wire for stuff to be powered off of the second battery up front. Then two pair of 12 awg wires for miscellany (speakers?), two separate 14/16 awg wires (dedicated ground? Rear dash cam? LED lighting? Oil pressure sender? Who knows?), and a length of stranded CAT 5e (always useful). So far, the bundle is about one inch in diameter, maybe less.

Am I missing anything? I did the same for the beetle, minus the 4 awg second battery wire, of course, and I think I've got all possible accessories/sensor wires covered.

PS if this headache ends up killing me, it was the fumes from shop 3609. Goddamn I feel like poo poo.

E: meant for the stupid question thread but you're all homies here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I talked to the insurance company and chose a mechanic nearby, as there is a dent and some paint damage on the rear door. Courtesy car with 100km/day is included :toot:

I also asked about the validity of dashcam footage as proof of anything, and she recommended that I make a copy and keep that, just in case push comes to shove, since there were no witnesses. The insurance lady said she would look into whether it can actually be used, but I should definitely keep it for now. I was actually surprised by this, since I had always heard it was basically worthless as proof of anything here, unless your camera is police-grade and regularly inspected.

I looked through the footage again, and in my mind it's pretty drat conclusive. I am literally all the way into the left lane before she hits me, while passing at a significantly higher speed. There is literally no way anyone can watch that and think I changed lanes into her.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Mine has a gps sensor that embeds location and speed data in the video stream, which I think could be useful. I also have two G1Ws that have worked flawlessly in Phoenix for over a year now.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

I also asked about the validity of dashcam footage as proof of anything, and she recommended that I make a copy and keep that, just in case push comes to shove, since there were no witnesses. The insurance lady said she would look into whether it can actually be used, but I should definitely keep it for now. I was actually surprised by this, since I had always heard it was basically worthless as proof of anything here, unless your camera is police-grade and regularly inspected.

Very interested in what you find out re: legality of private dashcam recordings around here. I'm still on the fence about getting one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm 99,999% sure it cannot be used as evidence in court, but that doesn't necessarily apply to how the insurance company would use it.

Maybe they'll use it and decide the insurance case in my favor, but then I'll get a small fine for illegally recording people without their consent. Similar things have happened before.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm 99,999% sure it cannot be used as evidence in court, but that doesn't necessarily apply to how the insurance company would use it.

Maybe they'll use it and decide the insurance case in my favor, but then I'll get a small fine for illegally recording people without their consent. Similar things have happened before.

Supposedly in the Czech Republic it's the same way when it comes to video surveillance systems. To get one admissible in court is some crazy hassle.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hooooly poo poo Tony Abbott's been rolled. I have a priaprism that can be seen from space

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hooooly poo poo Tony Abbott's been rolled. I have a priaprism that can be seen from space

Just saw this on BBC News and came to post about it. I've never heard of the guy that's replacing him but he can't be more of a joke, right?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

jammyozzy posted:

Just saw this on BBC News and came to post about it. I've never heard of the guy that's replacing him but he can't be more of a joke, right?

The right wing part of the party hates Turnbull (who has taken over from Abbott). They'll be sharpening knives and leaking even more now.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What the hell is that horror of a avatar supposed to be.

Dont post in FYAD

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Tusen Takk posted:

Dont post in FYAD YOSPOS

:v:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

At this point, putting oil in my car is like buying cigarettes for someone who's trying to quit. It's counterproductive and likely going to kill it. I don't even wanna see what my cat looks like :ohdear:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Its going to be a very hilarious next 36hrs.

And Abbott didnt even have the guts to face the press tonight. That or hes too busy burning poo poo in his office.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

14 INCH DICK posted:

What loving parts chain do you work for that can and will look up parts like that?

QuarkMartial posted:

The one that just bought Carquest.

I don't know about other stores, but most of us at our store try to help people out if we can as a general rule. If it's something we know, like Ford/Chevy/whatever old rednecks like, we can usually figure it out. If it's something classic or interesting, then we get on the internet and start looking around trying to figure it out. Part of it is to get people to come back, but another part of it is just trying to figure it out for the hell of it. Trying to find a 60+ year old brake return spring presents itself as an interesting problem that needs to be figured out.

E: Our computer systems aren't that advanced, but if we can get a part number we can usually cross it over. Or just start googling poo poo till we figure it out.

Same with the store I work at which is green. I spent around 6 hours one sunday looking for air adjustable rear shocks for a 55 Merc cruiser. And 2 days looking for some unobtainium thermostat and housing for a 52 (I think) DeSoto with one of the very first hemi motors. Finding poo poo like that is actually the fun part of the job imo.

EDIT: On the other hand, yesterday I refused to swap a battery in a PT Cruiser because it would have involved pulling out the airbox. The car's owner was an rear end in a top hat, had her rear end in a top hat daughter with her and an ill behaved little poo poo in the car. It would have taken me 5 minutes more at most, but you could tell they were gonna lose it if it took more than a few minutes of them not having the A/C on in their car and were going to complain if the smallest thing went wrong. Not touching that poo poo. :colbert:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 14, 2015

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

The NAPA that I go to is like that. Its hard to find parts for the ancient stuff I work on and they are usually able to find the part or something from another car that will fit. The 56 IH for example has a thermostat from a Honda in it and an exhaust donut from something that they matched up for me.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Super Aggro Crag posted:

My car is sexy as gently caress and you are all just haters driving Miatas. My warranty will outlive the entirety of your poo poo-box car.

This is going to come in handy later.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Drove the Lexus this weekend and found 6.5 seconds on VIR Full Course.

A good weekend.

(too bad I skipped all studying fffffffff)

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
lmao over $800 for a 2 night stay in Ocean City, MD for a bachelor party. Just the hotel room. "Hey is that okay? We already have the rooms booked."

These guys have no sense of financial planning, and they're all financial planners.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Adiabatic posted:

lmao over $800 for a 2 night stay in Ocean City, MD for a bachelor party. Just the hotel room. "Hey is that okay? We already have the rooms booked."

These guys have no sense of financial planning, and they're all financial planners.

I had a friend from my piano teaching days get married recently. The bachelor party was organized from a nice guy, but his family is incredibly well off and he's pretty much a trust fund baby. He made the incredible decision of booking a bunch of guys who teach music for a living at a $100/plate restaurant then sold it under the idea that its all you can eat.

It's pretty amazing the disconnect some people have with money.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I'm leaving for Boston tomorrow and will be in the area for 4 days. I'm going to a friend's wedding, whose fiancé got a good gig after college.

The resort where the wedding is taking place and where a lot of the wedding party is staying is $900/night.
We're staying in the cheapest place we could find, which is $140/night...

Anyways, I know I already missed NEAI, and it's the middle of the week, but if anyone wants to hang out or grab some drinks any day but Friday, let me know!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Really, anything having to do with the cost of weddings boggles my drat mind.
:goonsay:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

We did ours staggeringly cheap. Keeping the guest list small is the first and most important step.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

We did a double wedding (me and my wife + her identical twin sister and my best friend) for like $20k and that was inviting ~400 people.

We did do it on a farm instead of like a golf course, though.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Do you know how much go fast parts I could buy with how much a wedding costs??!?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

Slow is Fast posted:

Do you know how much go fast parts I could buy with how much a wedding costs??!?

An entire cars worth?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Slow is Fast posted:

You can't race your wife...?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My wife & I bought a house instead of having an expensive wedding and it was worth it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fart Pipe posted:

Do you live in the US? I have a brand new USRT shift linkage Id sell cheaper than new if you want it. Email me at timothy (underscore) volkswagen at the yahoo if youre interested. Ive had it forever and Im changing my Rocco to cable shift when I do the TDI swap so Im never going to use it.

Emailed you dude.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Lightbulb Out posted:

My wife & I bought a house instead of having an expensive wedding and it was worth it.

Either houses are really cheap where you live or your wedding was going to be baller as hell.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Three straight orders from Amazon (via UPS), three straight orders that arrived with damaged packaging. Three straight complaints without a response. Google Shopping is looking better and better even if I have to pay a little more.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

A wedding is as much as a down payment usually

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
My friend got married Chicago last year and the reception was at the art museum. I have no idea how expensive it was though. I don't think I'll go to anything that'll top that.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

nm posted:

Either houses are really cheap where you live or your wedding was going to be baller as hell.

Both.

Tusen Takk posted:

A wedding is as much as a down payment usually

This is correct and was the equation.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

My sister is up to at least $50k for a wedding with 150 people. Her dress alone was $8k I think. It's this weekend, and everyone's super stressed out and I'm just eating popcorn from the sidelines.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I really couldn't sleep at night paying that kind of dime for one or two days.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
One of my girlfriend's friends had a destination wedding to loving South Africa. It would have run us close to $4000 just for the travel and stay. I know only 8 people ended up going besides the bride and groom. The brides family was pretty poor so her parents couldn't even go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

One of my girlfriend's friends had a destination wedding to loving South Africa. It would have run us close to $4000 just for the travel and stay. I know only 8 people ended up going besides the bride and groom. The brides family was pretty poor so her parents couldn't even go.

South Africa is the worst place to go unless her husband was like from there or something

lol wtf

• Locked thread