Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Talkc posted:

Im genuinely interested in seeing what a bethesda game is like when its not held back by the ram limitations etc of the last generation of consoles. Fo3, Fo4, Oblivion, and Skyrim were all designed within those constraints. Its gonna be a heck of a jump forward for them with Fallout 4.
Bethesda's solution for allowing more than 2GB of ram to be used is the hackiest loving thing and I will not be at all surprised if we get all the same limitations associated with such in Fallout 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Anyone else have Randy Savage's rap album?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Ak Gara posted:

Is there a mod to turn the women into Randy Savage too?

Whatever your heart desires, there is a Skyrim mod for it.

There are also many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many Skyrim mods out there for things your heart does not desire. Things your heart does not even want to know exists. Things you can never unsee.

Console players don't know what they're missing! But they'll find out soon.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Whatever your heart desires, there is a Skyrim mod for it.

There are also many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many Skyrim mods out there for things your heart does not desire. Things your heart does not even want to know exists. Things you can never unsee.

Console players don't know what they're missing! But they'll find out soon.

Console player here. I know what I'm missing and I don't care.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

you won't miss them once your ps4/bone friends start posting pictures of My Little Pony mods on their feed!!!!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nasgate posted:

This would be a good point if all fallout 4 footage we've gotten didn't look like 2011 graphics still.

I guess this is an improved troll over saying that it literally looks like Fallout 3.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Bethesda's solution for allowing more than 2GB of ram to be used is the hackiest loving thing and I will not be at all surprised if we get all the same limitations associated with such in Fallout 4.

They've already said that some buildings and the like will automatically transition to the outer world without loading screens.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Ak Gara posted:

The one thing most games fail to capitalize on is good sound.

Witcher 3 being stereo only was such a disappointment. Plus I don't think it utilized any sounds below 100hz. I don't own a 20hz SVS sub + very nice Polk 5.1 surround sound for that kinda weak audio.

An immersive exploring game with creepy atmosphere such as Fallout 4 would be GREAT with surround sound and I'm hoping it has that option. I honestly can't remember if F3 had it or not.

I honest-to-god wish more games focused on making really good sound effects or voice lines. Everyone focuses hard as poo poo on Spec Ops: The Line's writing writing writing and "What a twist!" poo poo, but most completely fail to notice just how goddamn sharp the sound and voice recording folks + actors were, even those of the NPCs. By the time Act 3 rolls around, with both Walker and enemy soldiers shouting profanity at 110% and just Nolan North himself being ran ragged in the voice booth specifically to get that effect, it really did a ton to convey the story than most give it credit.

So yea, hopefully FO4 has a bit more emphasis on that. The visual fidelity is gonna be similar to Skyrim anyway (i.e. adequate but nothing extra special), so...I don't get why game project directors, who already know they won't be able to have the best graphics due to whatever constraints, don't consciously decide to focus more on sounds and voices.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

MechaCrash posted:

The thing with low-Int options overlooks a big mechanical difference between Fallout 4 and all previous Fallout games. In those, your stats ran on a scale of 1-10, and you were given all 5s with five discretionary points to spend. In 4, you're still on a 1-10 scale, but you start with all 1s and twenty-one points to spend. So the stats are clearly working on a different scale here, because you needed to drop down to 3 to get the "stupid" options in Fallouts that had them, but I don't know what number is going to be pegged as "average" in 4.
Surely the 'average' is what you would get if you divide up your points evenly, which would be a 4.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'll pay $60 just to see a macho man randy deathclaw mod

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

computer parts posted:

I guess this is an improved troll over saying that it literally looks like Fallout 3.
I have to admit I'm not sure whether the graphics look that much better than Skyrim. I mean, the character creation screen was the first thing we saw, and it was... awkward. With broken lip-syncing to boot.

The lighting is a definite improvement, and it's way too early to judge the environments holistically, but I'm hoping they've stepped their texturing game up significantly from previous games. And if they have, it hasn't really come across in the promos.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Fallout 4 looks like Morrowind on low settings. Poop and farts.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Why sink 80 million into a new game engine when people will still buy stuff built on top of your janky old one? They'll keep duct-taping the bare minimum on top of it for years to come, which is a sound business decision really. At this point, they know its jankiness, modders and gamers know its jankiness and the at the end of the day it's not to the point that it's an instant no-sale to all but the most picky.

If you think people are trolling when they say it hardly looks better than 2011 graphics though, you're dumb. 2013-15 graphics are now fox engine, frostbite engine, whatever they built for the witcher, etc. Gamebyro + duct-tape is in no way competitive with any of those when it comes to looking nice and Bethesda is always conservative with textures. Accept that it'll look dated, even if you don't give a gently caress about it.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

computer parts posted:

They've already said that some buildings and the like will automatically transition to the outer world without loading screens.
I was more referring to amazing things such as missing textures, entities not loading, sudden performance dips to 5FPS while exploring the world at random due to Bethesda's "memory bank" code being one of the worst things in the world, etc etc

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Decus posted:

Why sink 80 million into a new game engine when people will still buy stuff built on top of your janky old one? They'll keep duct-taping the bare minimum on top of it for years to come, which is a sound business decision really. At this point, they know its jankiness, modders and gamers know its jankiness and the at the end of the day it's not to the point that it's an instant no-sale to all but the most picky.

If you think people are trolling when they say it hardly looks better than 2011 graphics though, you're dumb. 2013-15 graphics are now fox engine, frostbite engine, whatever they built for the witcher, etc. Gamebyro + duct-tape is in no way competitive with any of those when it comes to looking nice and Bethesda is always conservative with textures. Accept that it'll look dated, even if you don't give a gently caress about it.

What I've seen looks better than Skyrim, at least. Graphics will be a non issue anyway, I think. The way I see it, the majority of players who care about graphics enough to criticize what we've seen so far are probably PC players, and they're just going to use a hi-res texture mod anyway. Most console players probably won't care, and in this situation, those that do might be able to get a hi-res pack themselves.

In the end, everyone but lazy cynics will be satisfied.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

JackBadass posted:

What I've seen looks better than Skyrim, at least. Graphics will be a non issue anyway, I think. The way I see it, the majority of players who care about graphics enough to criticize what we've seen so far are probably PC players, and they're just going to use a hi-res texture mod anyway. Most console players probably won't care, and in this situation, those that do might be able to get a hi-res pack themselves.

In the end, everyone but lazy cynics will be satisfied.

The thing about the whole "mods will fix it" thing is that most of us will play it on release, beat it, and probably not touch it again. Those mods come out later, and are used by an extremely small fraction of people who play the game.

If this game ends up looking like poo poo, people will buy it, but when Witcher 4 and Fallout 5 come out at the same time for next-next gen consoles, you can bet that casuals are going to spring for the one they remember as prettier. they don't give a poo poo about nostalgia.

edit: and those of us who played the poo poo out of Fallout 1 and 2 back in junior high are getting older, have lives, jobs, families, etc.. and are basically casuals. Eventually the generation who grew up with fallout won't want to play fallout 7on the worlds shittiest engine, and the younger generation will have no idea what this lovely looking game is

dooooooooooooooooooooooooom

Turds in magma fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 14, 2015

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I was more referring to amazing things such as missing textures, entities not loading, sudden performance dips to 5FPS while exploring the world at random due to Bethesda's "memory bank" code being one of the worst things in the world, etc etc

Which had less to do with Bethesda flipping a bit in the exe so it could use up to 4gb of ram instead of 2gb and more to do with the engine being designed to work around the small and fixed amount of ram in the previous generation of consoles.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I mean yeah, the game flat out looking last-gen won't be a huge issue, and it will still be enjoyable. But it comes off kind of scummy. Like instead of trying to provide the best game for their customers, they feel okay shooting for average because it will make them money.

Especially since Beth often cuts content for time/they can't do what they wanted. They would have more time if they didn't have to work with such an unstable mess of an engine, and they could do more with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Scummy. Really. We're now at the point that graphics not being good enough is the developers being scummy.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
I just wish I could be a fly on the wall when they're starting the development cycle for new games. MGS4 came out the same year as Fallout 3, and then they went and built a whole new engine for MGS5. How much time does Bethesda spend trying to graft some better features into the next game, and how early does it get locked down so they can just generate content? Sometimes it does seem like they'd be better served using those seven(!) years to scrap those really ancient tools and start fresh for a new system generation.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm fine with Fallout 4 not having TOP TIER GRAPHIXX because my PC is not very powerful and I never was particularly choosy about how a game looks, but I know I'm the super minority about that

frajaq fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 14, 2015

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Scummy. Really. We're now at the point that graphics not being good enough is the developers being scummy.

I would say developers making a game that some think looks dated is worse than ISIS burying women and children alive.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Turds in magma posted:

If this game ends up looking like poo poo, people will buy it, but when Witcher 4 and Fallout 5 come out at the same time for next-next gen consoles, you can bet that casuals are going to spring for the one they remember as prettier. they don't give a poo poo about nostalgia.

Their games always look like poo poo compared to the latest and greatest games out there, didn't stop Skyrim any. Casuals don't give a gently caress about graphics in the same way tech nerds do. Only jackasses on internet forums give a poo poo about things like that. That's why the Wii kicked rear end when it first came out, dudes just wanted to get lit and watch their friends gently caress around with the tennis game or something. Nobody cares about anything but fun when they are a casual game player.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 14, 2015

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Filthy casuals.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Boogaleeboo posted:

Their games always look like poo poo compared to the latest and greatest games out there, didn't stop Skyrim any. Casuals don't give a gently caress about graphics in the same way tech nerds do. Only jackasses on internet forums give a poo poo about things like that. That's why the Wii kicked rear end when it first came out, dudes just wanted to get lit and watch their friends gently caress around with the tennis game or something. Nobody cares about anything but fun when they are a casual game player.

The Wii would have been cool if it wasn't a piece of poo poo in just about every area. I guess on the flip side it was dirt cheap.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I just wish I could be a fly on the wall when they're starting the development cycle for new games. MGS4 came out the same year as Fallout 3, and then they went and built a whole new engine for MGS5. How much time does Bethesda spend trying to graft some better features into the next game, and how early does it get locked down so they can just generate content? Sometimes it does seem like they'd be better served using those seven(!) years to scrap those really ancient tools and start fresh for a new system generation.

Bethesda released games since Fallout 3 came out, they were presumably not just working on FO4 for the entirety of that time frame. (Same with MSGV since Kojima had Peace Walker at minimum between IV and V.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 14, 2015

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

JackBadass posted:

The Wii would have been cool if it wasn't a piece of poo poo in just about every area. I guess on the flip side it was dirt cheap.

I'm sorry you don't have friends, the Wii was amazing with a group of people and the right game.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Look here, console peasant, I didn't spend my entire life savings and every penny of my children's college fund to play anything that doesn't run native 16k rez with 480fps, with at LEAST 6 pages of graphical options that you need this expensive college course i took to even understand.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Boogaleeboo posted:

I'm sorry you don't have friends, the Wii was amazing with a group of people and the right game.

No, what was amazing about that was having fun with a group of people. The Wii itself was dated hardware and missing features that had no business being missing. Again, understandable for a budget system, but still a drawback.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

JackBadass posted:

No, what was amazing about that was having fun with a group of people.

Which the Wii facilitated by having a bunch of games that involved jumping around like a jackass with a scoring system of some sort involved. That was it's entire purpose, to facilitate getting people to jump around like a jackass while playing games, and it fulfilled it masterfully. It neither pretended to be nor had to be more than that. So like I said: I'm sorry you don't have friends, but the Wii was amazing.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Boogaleeboo posted:

Which the Wii facilitated by having a bunch of games that involved jumping around like a jackass with a scoring system of some sort involved. That was it's entire purpose, to facilitate getting people to jump around like a jackass while playing games, and it fulfilled it masterfully. It neither pretended to be nor had to be more than that. So like I said: I'm sorry you don't have friends, but the Wii was amazing.

The Wii wasn't what facilitated that, it was a group of people who wanted to be around each other and wanted to have fun. If the Wii wasn't there, it would have been something else, so like I said: what was amazing about that was having fun with a group of people.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

JackBadass posted:

The Wii wasn't what facilitated that

You don't know what the word facilitated means, do you?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Boogaleeboo posted:

You don't know what the word facilitated means, do you?

Look, it's alright. I see this kind of thing a lot, mostly in the younger generation. They think they can only have fun with other people with their noses buried in their devices and video games. Trust me, though, that's not the reason you're having fun with each other. Try turning off the nintendo and going out and doing something. If you can't have fun with people without the video games, you're friend is probably the nintendo itself.

But we're getting off topic here. My original point was that the Wii was a terrible piece of hardware, being dated on release in almost every aspect.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

I say again: You don't know what the word facilitated means, do you?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Boogaleeboo posted:

I say again: You don't know what the word facilitated means, do you?

"Facilitated: make (an action or process) easy or easier."

So again, since this is so hard for you to grasp, what made the process or action of having fun with friends easy or easier wasn't the Wii, it was being in a group that actively wanted to have fun and be around each other. If you were with three other people and you all hated each other with a passion, a Wii wouldn't suddenly put everyone in goofy giggle fits (unless one of you used the Wii to bludgeon the other three. If so, I concede).

Let's stay on topic now.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Gamebryo games feel like poo poo to play and the engine's limitations extend beyond mere aesthetics. When Bernie Sanders is elected president I hope he taxes Todd Howard's greedy rear end.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Typical Pubbie posted:

Gamebryo games feel like poo poo to play and the engine's limitations extend beyond mere aesthetics. When Bernie Sanders is elected president I hope he taxes Todd Howard's rear end.

More like Burnie Blanders.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

JackBadass posted:

Let's stay on topic now.

You don't know what words mean, and that's sad?

If you killed yourself, you'd save the time of constantly having to make poo poo posts to distract from your terrible life and get it down in one quick action?

Nothing you ever do will be as meaningful to humanity as Wii Boxing?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Boogaleeboo posted:

Blah blah blah

You just sit there and keep looking pretty.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
"This simplistic game surely makes me appreciate and develop friendship more than, like, talking with people."
- Boogaleeboo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

"This simplistic game surely makes me appreciate and develop friendship more than, like, talking with people."
- Boogaleeboo

Hey now, do you know what "facilitate" means?

• Locked thread