Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
No German will be caught dead driving automatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Centripetal Horse posted:

I sold a car to a Polish guy who told me he was buying it for his younger brother. I said, "Your younger brother can drive a manual?" He said, "In Poland, no one has automatics." That kind of blew my mind. I'm a shade under 40, and even in my age bracket, at least 75% of my acquaintances cannot drive stick.

Pretty sure most European cars are manual. Automatic transmission is mostly a North American and China/Japan thing. Not sure about South America or the rest of Eurasia

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
South America and sub-Saharan Africa are practically 100% stick, and Australia is probably 60% with 80% of people knowing how to drive one.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
In the UK you can have an automatic-only license and bouncers won't let you into clubs if you use it as id ftw

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Simply Simon posted:

Unless they drive a Mercedes.

I think the biggest you can get with a manual is the C-class, and even then it's only with the smaller engines. Everything E-class and above is auto-only.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Automatics are more a luxury option here in Europe, or for old people. They get a bad rap for being slow, inefficient, expensive and hard to maintain compared to a manual gearbox; but this hasn't been true for basically two decades now.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

sassassin posted:

In the UK you can have an automatic-only license and bouncers won't let you into clubs if you use it as id ftw

Seems pretty cunty though, surely the automatic licence has all the necessary info on it? Maybe you were wearing the wrong kind of trainers

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

In the first Thor movie, it opens with a shot of Tønsberg, Norway ca 900 AD where we were apparently invaded by frost giants until Odin and his crew showed up. Immediately after this we are shown Thor and Loki as children, so they were not a part of Odins gang at the start. But Thor and Loki have by that point been established as norse gods for well over a thousand years :argh: my immersion!

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

KozmoNaut posted:

Unless they drive a Mercedes.

I think the biggest you can get with a manual is the C-class, and even then it's only with the smaller engines. Everything E-class and above is auto-only.

You can get the C-Class and the E-Class with the 184 HP engine and a manual. Its the smallest engine on the E-Class and the third smallest on the C-Class.

But yeah, nobody under 60 is driving automatic over here. I prefer manual too, but i gotta admit that my dads automatic Merc was pretty nice when i was stuck in heavy traffic. But that might've also been the case cause its a Mercedes and not a loving Peugeot.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Biplane posted:

In the first Thor movie, it opens with a shot of Tønsberg, Norway ca 900 AD where we were apparently invaded by frost giants until Odin and his crew showed up. Immediately after this we are shown Thor and Loki as children, so they were not a part of Odins gang at the start. But Thor and Loki have by that point been established as norse gods for well over a thousand years :argh: my immersion!

Also it happened in 900AD so we should definitely have records of Frost Giants and Gods on Earth

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Biplane posted:

Odin heard about those myths and thought "Hey those are neat names, I'll name my son and foster son that! What harm could it possibly do?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That was only the first 900 AD.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Biplane posted:

Obviously in Asgard there are an extremely limited roster of approved names and they have been cycling through them for a while.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Simply Simon posted:

Except, you know, all the Porsches, Mercs, BMWs, Audis, and VWs that have double-clutch automatics. Which Porsche has helpfully abbreviated from 'doppelkupplungsgetriebe' to 'PDK.'

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ego-bot posted:

Like Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind for the Tigger Movie.

Tigger is totally a tweaker so it works just fine.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Phanatic posted:

doppelkupplungsgetriebe

is only four letters longer than "double-clutch gearbox".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Phanatic posted:

Except, you know, all the Porsches, Mercs, BMWs, Audis, and VWs that have double-clutch automatics. Which Porsche has helpfully abbreviated from 'doppelkupplungsgetriebe' to 'PDK.'

Eh, as long as you don't have a torque converter it still kinda counts as manual. :shrug:

Once you're spending enough money to get paddle shifters the distinction blurs.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

More of a TV thing than movies, but it irritates me when characters are named after the actor/actress playing them.

It's all pretend anyway, just make up a name for crying out loud.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
It seems Jackie Chan is called Jackie in every one of his dubbed films.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

The Zombie Guy posted:

More of a TV thing than movies, but it irritates me when characters are named after the actor/actress playing them.

It's all pretend anyway, just make up a name for crying out loud.

Apparently Tony Danza couldn't be relied on to respond to anything other than Tony.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

sharktamer posted:

It seems Jackie Chan is called Jackie in every one of his dubbed films.

Thats because all his movies are based on his real life adventures.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've always assumed one of the trickiest bits of acting must be getting used to reacting to a fake name.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Novum posted:

Thats because all his movies are based on his real life adventures.

the real jackie chan died like 11 years ago, since then we've had his twin from Twin Dragons

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

EmmyOk posted:

Also it happened in 900AD so we should definitely have records of Frost Giants and Gods on Earth

In the MCU, to be fair, such records exist.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Finally saw Pacific Rim last night. Eight helicopters would not be able to lift a Jaeger.

Also, at the end: "I can't find a pulse!" No poo poo, Dumbass, you're wearing gloves.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lincoln posted:

Finally saw Pacific Rim last night. Eight helicopters would not be able to lift a Jaeger.

Also, at the end: "I can't find a pulse!" No poo poo, Dumbass, you're wearing gloves.

Jaeger's weigh 3000 tons (maybe less) meaning each helo needs to lift only 375 tons at the most.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Jaeger's weigh 3000 tons (maybe less) meaning each helo needs to lift only 375 tons at the most.

Yeah, that's what he said. A quick google search and I couldn't find a direct answer on what the max payload for the "strongest" helo is but the few answers I did find are nowhere near 375 tons.

375 tons is a LOT of weight. That's 125 tons short of a million pounds.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Which is still fa(aaaaaaaaaaaaaa)r and away above the payload of a heavy lift chopper.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I think he was making a :thejoke:

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
It's annoying when a character is holding someone at gun point and they are standing really close together so they are both in the same shot. So close that the person just grabs the gun away. Stop taking advantage of the blocking. That's like a character hiding behind the camera man in a gun fight.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Of course the helis can lift the Jaegers, it happens several times in the film. They're special Jaeger-Helicopters.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The rotors use alien tech to increase their... carborators...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Lincoln posted:

It's a world where humanity designed giant bipedal robots to fight sea monsters. Making super choppers is probably baby town frolics.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

EmmyOk posted:

I've always assumed one of the trickiest bits of acting must be getting used to reacting to a fake name.

Seems like that would be the easiest part.

"Now in this scene you just found out your wife is dead."
"Ok"
"So you're going to have an emotional breakdown. I want to see real tears. "
"No problem."
"Then you spot the killer and go into a complicated fight sequence."
"Right."
"Oh and he's going to call you Jim because that's the character's name."
"WTF There's no actor that could pull off responding to another name!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

EmmyOk posted:

The Catholic Church covered it up :tinfoil:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Len posted:

It's a world where humanity designed giant bipedal robots to fight sea monsters. Making super choppers is probably baby town frolics.

They should have just used those choppers to lift the monsters out of the sea and drop them into a volcano.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Grendels Dad posted:

They should have just used those choppers to lift the monsters out of the sea and drop them into a volcano.

Fool, that's how we got thetan infestations!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Behind the scenes, but it annoys me when a director/actor describes another actor as "fearless". He threw himself into the character, it takes a lot courage to do that. Heath ledger really got into the role of the joker, he's a fearless actor. You're being paid 15 million to make a movie for 3 months gently caress off.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

Behind the scenes, but it annoys me when a director/actor describes another actor as "fearless". He threw himself into the character, it takes a lot courage to do that. Heath ledger really got into the role of the joker, he's a fearless actor. You're being paid 15 million to make a movie for 3 months gently caress off.

Heath Ledger is an exceptional instance of this. Immersing himself in the role of the joker was sooo taxing he OD'd.

The stress of being a big deal may have led to him popping more pills, but the role itself wasn't anymore taxing than being a pop-punk knight or a Wyoming sheep rancher.

Not dissing him, or River Phoenix, or Chris Farley but he liked getting high and making bank can give you the means to totally self destruct. There are plenty of living actors like Chevy Chase or Michael Madsen who can attest to getting paid and not quite killing themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

oldpainless posted:

Do you work in the film industry? I'm curious because you said "behind the scenes."

Have you ever been the focus of attention for 500, or 1,000, or more people while you're supposed to be bawling your eyes out, or professing deep love or passion for someone or something? Forget live theater, or public audiences, just try it in front of a director, and a handful of camera men and sound guys. If you've never done it, you might be shocked. It actually takes significant courage. I think it's totally fair to use the word "fearless" to describe an actor tackling a difficult part.