Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
i didn't study and i made 3rd class.

i also didnt take the test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the majority of enlisted probably aren't going to be able to do that.

Probably not, according to my CMC he's seen several people make less than a 35 on their test, which I thought was loving impossible.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

orange juche posted:

Probably not, according to my CMC he's seen several people make less than a 35 on their test, which I thought was loving impossible.

People xmas tree their tests all the time? Its pretty easy

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

I've had to counsel people that scored legitimate mid 20s.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

LOL you poor saps have to take tests to advance? The Marine Corps lets you advance through the lower enlisted ranks by measuring poo poo that counts, Physical Fitness Tests and Rifle Scores. Those were both instrumental in teaching me to load ships and planes better.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kawasaki Nun posted:

People xmas tree their tests all the time? Its pretty easy

I christmas tree tests and don't score that badly, maybe i'm just bad at bullshitting on tests.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

LOL you poor saps have to take tests to advance? The Marine Corps lets you advance through the lower enlisted ranks by measuring poo poo that counts, Physical Fitness Tests and Rifle Scores. Those were both instrumental in teaching me to load ships and planes better.

always felt safer hearing KILL when the marines would pt

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

The AF uses PT scores and Christmas Party planning experience, on the officer side at least. Proles still have to take a test.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
NMCB 4 indoc day one - ome presenter no showed and another is 40 minutes late.

HOORAH!

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
i'm on the short list for mobilization, boys

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

Good luck! I need like two more signatures but otherwise everything is checked off and they sent my request for C school in. Weird start date though. Nov23. That's like Monday before thanksgiving.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

LingcodKilla posted:

Good luck! I need like two more signatures but otherwise everything is checked off and they sent my request for C school in. Weird start date though. Nov23. That's like Monday before thanksgiving.

Holiday leave!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

Me too! Good thing for me is most of the reservists don't have real jobs so usually have a healthy supply of volunteers. *gets mob orders in a fortnight*

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

Me too! Good thing for me is most of the reservists don't have real jobs so usually have a healthy supply of volunteers. *gets mob orders in a fortnight*

they have hot fills they need bodies for too man. so it's a real possibility for me.

you in IDCRSW?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

they have hot fills they need bodies for too man. so it's a real possibility for me.

you in IDCRSW?

Southeast, will be moving back to the Midwest next year though. Gonna miss golf in February.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Analogical posted:

Ten months :black101:

23 months left.

I've got my GI bill and close to six figures in savings. Time to move on with my life with a sense of financial building block.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Howard Phillips posted:

23 months left.

I've got my GI bill and close to six figures in savings. Time to move on with my life with a sense of financial building block.

I regret I couldn't use TA for more than general education but online education is out because my degree requires labs and local colleges are out because the south doesn't like STEM.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
3 months. Give a poo poo a factor rapidly plummeting

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
For technical goons- I have a pretty awesome computer monitor at work. I don't remember the exact resolution, but it's great for government stuff. Problem is, they're going to install my SIPR using one of those switchbox things and I've noticed that everyone else who has that has really lovely res. The IT guy quickly explained why, but can someone break it down for a non-IT type and if there's a cable I can get that won't break the bank that will keep the higher resolution?

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

germskr posted:

For technical goons- I have a pretty awesome computer monitor at work. I don't remember the exact resolution, but it's great for government stuff. Problem is, they're going to install my SIPR using one of those switchbox things and I've noticed that everyone else who has that has really lovely res. The IT guy quickly explained why, but can someone break it down for a non-IT type and if there's a cable I can get that won't break the bank that will keep the higher resolution?

Real talk not talking down to you. Happy to link more info if you have questions.

The higher the resolution, the more information that needs to go from the computer's graphics card to the monitor. If the switchbox switches between which computer the signal is coming from is old or cheap then the amount of information it can pass at one time could be limited.

Additionally, it could just be the type of cable that they're using.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_connectors A list of video connectors. VGA is 1987 tech that's still supported on old monitors and graphics cards. Then there's DVI (2000 tech), HDMI (2003 tech) and then Displayport (2007 tech).

Generally if supports DVI or HDMI you should be fine.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a1c27be7?auth=1

quote:

It is a problem found with those KVM switches which did not pass the console display's EDID and DDC information to all the systems connected to the KVM switch.
That explains when you switch/select to other channel of connected system, the connected system simply cannot recognize what display had been connected, so end up with setback to system default (normally is 800 x 600).

Windows 7 checks display and display card constantly different from what XP and other operating systems did.

To solve this issue, just replace the KVM switch with those KVM switches supporting FULL TIME/ Active DDC function.
Please check ConnectPRO new UR or PR serial KVM switches which support Active DDC function to all the ports.
Visit this link for more information:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/KVM-Win7.mspx

So probably they're using an old switch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

So there's exactly one dude who can make access badges for my building. Guess who flaked on me this morning.

Looks like I'm not going to the office until Friday. :rolleyes:

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!

Pikehead posted:

Real talk not talking down to you. Happy to link more info if you have questions.

The higher the resolution, the more information that needs to go from the computer's graphics card to the monitor. If the switchbox switches between which computer the signal is coming from is old or cheap then the amount of information it can pass at one time could be limited.

Additionally, it could just be the type of cable that they're using.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_connectors A list of video connectors. VGA is 1987 tech that's still supported on old monitors and graphics cards. Then there's DVI (2000 tech), HDMI (2003 tech) and then Displayport (2007 tech).

Generally if supports DVI or HDMI you should be fine.

I'll have to remember to look, but it's definitely not HDMI.

If the switchbox supports it, am I allowed to supply my own HDMI or better cable or is that a no-no for controlled items?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

So there's exactly one dude who can make access badges for my building. Guess who flaked on me this morning.

I'm the only dude who knows how to make access badges and work the badge system for my building, guess who got sent TAD to a squadron for 7 months :rolleyes:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

I'm the only dude who knows how to make access badges and work the badge system for my building, guess who got sent TAD to a squadron for 7 months :rolleyes:

There aren't many situations where I like absolute rules, but one of them should be "avoid single points of failure, particularly in routine operations."

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Godholio posted:

shipmate i got gained into my intel command like 5 months ago and I still don't have access to the SCIF

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, but you're allowed in the building, right?

Took about three weeks to get a CAC, another three weeks to get NIPR access, and I'm still waiting on SIPR. I'm ok with staying home for two days in the middle of every week though, this is working out well. I'm glad I tried to contact the guy before I made the 40 minute drive to the base.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

Godholio posted:

Yeah, but you're allowed in the building, right?

Took about three weeks to get a CAC, another three weeks to get NIPR access, and I'm still waiting on SIPR. I'm ok with staying home for two days in the middle of every week though, this is working out well. I'm glad I tried to contact the guy before I made the 40 minute drive to the base.

i literally just sit on the quarterdeck and look at my phone and open the door for people to badge in. or i go skate and sleep in my car.

i have my clearance, SIPR and JWICS tokens, my badge for the other SCIF we don't use, but i'm not allowed into the SCIF we do use for reasons

AND i'm on the short list for the deployment so i bet that i will be deployed before they can even get my rear end into the building to do work

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

germskr posted:

If the switchbox supports it, am I allowed to supply my own HDMI or better cable or is that a no-no for controlled items?

No idea - ask your IT guy. If it's a crappy monitor switch then it doesn't matter what cables you use, it's not going to work.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

germskr posted:

Would they notice? Probably not.

Is it allowed? Probably not. Our building access control people make you justify headphones. I have no idea what they'd do with an HDMI cable.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

germskr posted:

It's a 99% chance your switch only supports VGA, you might be lucky and have DVI. HDMI is almost assuredly not supported though.

Also from what I've seen all Black Box KVMs at least in the last 10+ years have supported EDID pass-through, so you shouldn't have a problem with your monitor resolution being the wrong size, you should be able to just plug it in and go. At worst you'll have to reset the monitor resolution or get the IT guys to do it because they locked down display resolution settings for some unknown reason.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

AND i'm on the short list for the deployment so i bet that i will be deployed before they can even get my rear end into the building to do work

This will actually be used as a reason to send you on that deployment, since you don't do anything useful there. The military loves having wagons pull horses.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

DownByTheWooter posted:

This will actually be used as a reason to send you on that deployment, since you don't do anything useful there. The military loves having wagons pull horses.

It's more like a wagon pulling a wagon except they're both going opposite directions also eventually they're just like gently caress it send this wagon to bogram

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

BU3 exam status - Seabees don't study and go drinking the night before. Namaste

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

XX# exam status - Sailors don't study and go drinking the night before. Namaste

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

maffew buildings posted:

XX# exam status - Sailors don't study and go drinking the night before. Namaste

This is the entire navy hth, i know I got loving ripped the night before I took the 1st class exam, and i picked up too.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Well I sure messed that part up then

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

Boot as gently caress

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Thought we covered that in the thread Real Navy ™ training sesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Who has actually ran a PRT not hungover or still drunk I mean come on

Actually seems like Mil people plan heavy weekday drinking night right before a fitness test. Makes u think

• Locked thread