Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

Without religious morality, where do we get morals from :qq:

If you could stop arguing from inferences instead of what people actually say, or failing that step on a landmine, that would be just great.

The point here is that if religious ideas are inherently fictional, as mentally-handicapped racist #2 said, then even if the idea isn't related to the supernatural, it's still fictional, even if nonreligious philosophy uses it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012
someone told me that harry potter was fiction, guess that means they don't think london exists

makes u think

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

GyroNinja posted:

someone told me that harry potter was fiction, guess that means they don't think london exists

makes u think

I hope that your feeble brain does not impair you too much in your daily life.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

If you could stop arguing from inferences instead of what people actually say, or failing that step on a landmine, that would be just great.

The point here is that if religious ideas are inherently fictional, as mentally-handicapped racist #2 said, then even if the idea isn't related to the supernatural, it's still fictional, even if nonreligious philosophy uses it!

Reminder that this guy made a thread titled "Why evolution implies evidence for the supernatural". :derp::derp:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Immortan posted:

Reminder that this guy made a thread titled "Why evolution implies evidence for the supernatural". :derp::derp:

Ad hominem arguments are a sign of cowardice on multiple levels. I could just make a fist and you'd piss your pants, I bet.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

That is totally disregarding the origin of the ethical position.

Are you actually making the case that religious ethics are as legitimate as secular or philosophical ethics?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Sethex posted:

That is totally disregarding the origin of the ethical position.

Are you actually making the case that religious ethics are as legitimate as secular or philosophical ethics?

Religious ethics are a kind of philosophical ethics. In your desire to annihilate all religions and probably the religious too (barring white Christians, I guess), you've managed to become incredibly stupid, ignorant, and hateful.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think White American voters are that big of a threat to secularism and freedom in Europe.

Yeah, but they're more of a threat than Islam is.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

Religious ethics are a kind of philosophical ethics. In your desire to annihilate all religions and probably the religious too (barring white Christians, I guess), you've managed to become incredibly stupid, ignorant, and hateful.

Here is the thing, religious ethics are dumb, reason being is they typically rely on God demands X, where as secular ethics are based on modern norms/values, utility, and intellectual exploration among other complex grownup things.

If you want to give God or magic or whatever the foundation to designate actions, then you're going to find some fundies to take that action to an extreme. Giving religious ethics legitimacy serves to give extremists legitimacy.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sethex posted:

Here is the thing, religious ethics are dumb, reason being is they typically rely on God demands X, where as secular ethics are based on modern norms/values, utility, and intellectual exploration among other complex grownup things.

Secular ethics are commonly based in Natural Law which is about as arbitrary.

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

computer parts posted:

Secular ethics are commonly based in Natural Law which is about as arbitrary.

Commonly, not predominantly.

Effectronica posted:

I hope that your feeble brain does not impair you too much in your daily life.

Why are you so abusive to everybody all the time? It really sticks out in every thread just how willing you are to get personal and nasty at the drop of a hat.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Sethex posted:

If you want to give God or magic or whatever the foundation to designate actions, then you're going to find some fundies to take that action to an extreme. Giving religious ethics legitimacy serves to give extremists legitimacy.

1. Utilitarianism is not the last word in ethics.

2. Most religious ethics are not based on divine demands in any real sense. Even in Christianity, this is not really the case theologically, although this is not understood by the majority of lay Christians. Many religious ethics do use the supernatural in their arguments, but primarily as a standard to set against.

3. Ignoring these two problems, this is still a poorly formulated argument, because it doesn't say anything about the actions in question. For example, supposing some sort of New Age bullshit where the only command is "first, do no harm", we have to ask ourselves what exactly happens when you have "some fundies to take that action to an extreme" and how that would be bad. This argument basically falls apart of its own volition.

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Why are you so abusive to everybody all the time? It really sticks out in every thread just how willing you are to get personal and nasty at the drop of a hat.

Personally, I consider it demeaning to people who have been abused to compare saying "You're dumb" to what they have gone through.

Effectronica fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 14, 2015

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Effectronica posted:

Personally, I consider it demeaning to people who have been abused to compare saying "You're dumb" to what they have gone through.

It would be demeaning if anybody was comparing say, child molestation to your personal tirades against posters you disagree with. But since nobody is doing that and we're all smart enough to recognise 'abuse' as a broad category that covers both the worst offences against human dignity as well as your petty outbursts of irrational spite in much the same way as 'battery' covers beating someone bloody and unconscious as well as flicking their forehead with an index finger, why don't you stop being so disingenuous and grow up?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Smudgie Buggler posted:

It would be demeaning if anybody was comparing say, child molestation to your personal tirades against posters you disagree with. But since nobody is doing that and we're all smart enough to recognise 'abuse' as a broad category that covers both the worst offences against human dignity as well as your petty outbursts of irrational spite in much the same way as 'battery' covers beating someone bloody and unconscious as well as flicking their forehead with an index finger, why don't you stop being so disingenuous and grow up?

You seem to have a slight obsession with child molestation, given that you brought it up immediately, but I guess you're right, and you're being abusive to me, right now, and you should probably stop, from a moral perspective, which you may or may not have.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Effectronica posted:

You seem to have a slight obsession with child molestation, given that you brought it up immediately, but I guess you're right, and you're being abusive to me, right now, and you should probably stop, from a moral perspective, which you may or may not have.

Holy poo poo, shutup fishmech.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

CommieGIR posted:

Holy poo poo, shutup fishmech.

Fishmech is nintendo kid.

Or did I not get a joke :ohdear:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

khwarezm posted:

Might as well be both of them at this point.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

khwarezm posted:

Or did I not get a joke :ohdear:

It's an attempt at a slur that backfired.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
The fact that both you and SedanChair haven't been banned is just proof of how biased the moderation is. If I, or another of the right of center posters on here, wrote that kind of ad hom, violent trash that you wrote, we would have week long probations by now.

edit:Alhazredu Akbar!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Effectronica posted:

It's an attempt at a slur that backfired.

Yeah, because accusing people of being pederasts because they used it as an example makes you look like a loving genius.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Sinestro posted:

The fact that both you and SedanChair haven't been banned is just proof of how biased the moderation is. If I, or another of the right of center posters on here, wrote that kind of ad hom, violent trash that you wrote, we would have week long probations by now.

All of this except I am left of center.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

2. Most religious ethics are not based on divine demands in any real sense.

I thought "Why evolution implies evidence of the supernatural" was the most idiotic statement I've read in D&D until this. Bravo, Eff, bravo.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sinestro posted:

I guess someone wants the cultural relativist thought police now.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
i want to be the cultural relativist thought police

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Sinestro posted:

edit:Alhazredu Akbar!

I've been saying this for months. D&D is more friendly to ISIS than the US.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Good. I didn't expect so. Now, Liberal_L33t, what else is it that is missing here? Persecution of Muslims by other Muslims is against most laws already. It seems like none of the three other posters you singled out believe what you ascribe to them, so they would not be allies to changing laws to affect this. What are the actual policies you would like to see that aren't there, or policies that are there that you would rather be gone?

That persecution often takes place through para-legal avenues or escapes prosecution due to widespread tacit approval among these populations. I would like to see aggressive prosecution and hefty prison sentences, preferably through some sort of anti-terrorism or hate crime legislation, of anyone who acts to enforce religious laws through fear. The lynch mob who went after the man who tore a religious book is a good example of the type who need to be made an example of. As the history of the KKK and the segregationist system in the U.S. shows, regressive conspiratorial groups who pursue their agenda with a mixture of legal political action and extralegal intimidation need to be aggressively infiltrated and dismantled by law enforcement.

My problem is encapsulated by the fact that someone posted, apparently in all seriousness, that it would be discriminatory not to allow Saudi-backed groups to set up hundreds of new mosques aimed at the latest wave of migrants. Are we really debating this?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Are gang-rapes exclusive to North African culture? Why do you think that there needs to be a policy targeting only these gang-rapes?

There is a self-evident causal relationship between the attitudes of certain cultures towards human sexuality and the incidence of sexual violence against women.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But you're only giving them "power" in the sense that you're allowing people to contract through them. Are you going to ban all types of private organizations with their own arbitration systems? Are you going to ban Jews from using Rabbinical courts?
It's not that simple. We have to protect the minorities, but also the minorities within minorities, and there are plenty of examples of closed communities that use excommunication as a weapon. That, and it's a legitimacy issue: a state cannot allow the existence of a parallel legal system, regardless of how harmless it may present itself as. So even if both parties 'agree' to the arbitration, it's not necessarily as free of coercion as you can assume, nor does that make it any more acceptable (because the state is automatically a party).

And sure, the same standard should apply to all communities. But I'll grant you that most people raging about sharia couldn't care less about ^^^any of that poo poo^^^, and are doing it purely on the basis of the whole 'judeo-christian' schtick that western conservatives love to throw around.

Effectronica posted:

You don't need to have a specifically shari'a court to oversee a marriage in Islam, but marriage is part of shari'a and allowing Muslims to marry according to shari'a thus allows shari'a legitimacy, just like allowing for halal food to be prepared or for Muslims to define their inheritance according to fiqh. In order to reject shari'a as legitimate, you cannot allow Muslims to marry, eat, or inherit as they please.
Couldn't give two shits about halal or fiqh, but the only way sharia is going to work is if it's a kind of personal morality, among the millions that already exist. That means removing it from its community context.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I did not intend to imply the poster Smudgie Buggler was a pedophile or child molester, in my earlier post.

rudatron posted:

Couldn't give two shits about halal or fiqh, but the only way sharia is going to work is if it's a kind of personal morality, among the millions that already exist. That means removing it from its community context.

Fiqh is shari'a jurisprudence. I fooled you, I fooled you, etc.

Furthermore, a substantial part of shari'a isn't about morality, because it's a legal code, and these are the parts Muslims use most often. You really have a poor understanding of this issue, which makes your pronouncements seem to be "Islam must be destroyed", rather than whatever you intended.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Would you kindly gently caress off.

I'm gonna echo this, its not really the maghreb cultures that are at fault, its much more the influence of saudi extremism on isolated ghettoised peoples in europe due to racism and rejection. The only way to solve this is stop saudi private and national interests from funding these mosques and look for alternatives. The progressive mosques and islamic groups exist in the usa, there should be something like that done to europe.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Fizzil posted:

I'm gonna echo this, its not really the maghreb cultures that are at fault, its much more the influence of saudi extremism on isolated ghettoised peoples in europe due to racism and rejection. The only way to solve this is stop saudi private and national interests from funding these mosques and look for alternatives. The progressive mosques and islamic groups exist in the usa, there should be something like that done to europe.

How? And how do you limit Saudi/Salafi influence without curtailing religious freedoms?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Baloogan posted:

I've been saying this for months. D&D is more friendly to ISIS than the US.

Stormfront is that way, bruh.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Effectronica posted:

I, personally, think that Muslims should be allowed to get married in the fashion that they choose, and allowed to produce halal food and eat it, disburse their inheritance as they please, etc.

Okay, then. Let's look at the first example: marriage. What does "allowed to get married in the fashion that they choose" mean exactly?

Let's look at marriage in France. To get married, you basically go to the local town hall, get some papers ready, and then you sign them, your spouse signs them, the mayor signs them, and you're legally married. Traditionally this is followed by a religious ceremony for those couples who want it (or even two religious ceremonies when the spouses are of two different faiths) but that has no legal relevance. People want to organize a party for their wedding, they organize it according to their wishes. This setup as been going on since 1792, by the way, it's not something that was adopted in the 21st century just to vex Muslims, contrarily to what you no doubt believe.

How is that incompatible with the Muslim faith? Why would they need sharia courts in order to get married, and why should then the state recognize a legal power to these sharia courts; when it doesn't recognize one to the churches? Remember, all the Christians there have to get married by the mayor to be legally married; they can get married by the pastor next but it is legally meaningless. This is a principle known as "separation of church and state". What prevents Muslims from getting married legally by the mayor, and then having their religious wedding ceremony with the imam? Nothing.

So why is that not satisfactory? I guess the only possible answer is if they want a marriage that would be otherwise illegal according to the laws of the land. This includes polygamy and marrying minors. Alternatively, they might not like the legal status of spouses, since you can't repudiate your wife by telling her to go away three times, instead you have to go through a proper divorce. But then, they could opt for a civil union pact instead of a marriage; the legal benefits are mostly the same but they're much easier to break.

TL;DR: sharia courts are needed if you want people to be free to marry several little girls and to then throw them away like used kleenex; they are not needed for actual marriages.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

Stormfront is that way, bruh.

i don't have a hitler avatar how will i fit in

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Baloogan posted:

i don't have a hitler avatar how will i fit in

Just make a few posts, it'll be fine.

Saudi Arabia has consistently promoted fifth-column fascist movements inside other countries for a long time, and I would be okay with breaking up mosques as long as similar churches and synagogues were broken up, too. Many receive foreign money and promote radical right-wing ideology. All clergy are fascist agents because they promote the dictatorship of God over man.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cat Mattress posted:

Okay, then. Let's look at the first example: marriage. What does "allowed to get married in the fashion that they choose" mean exactly?

Let's look at marriage in France. To get married, you basically go to the local town hall, get some papers ready, and then you sign them, your spouse signs them, the mayor signs them, and you're legally married. Traditionally this is followed by a religious ceremony for those couples who want it (or even two religious ceremonies when the spouses are of two different faiths) but that has no legal relevance. People want to organize a party for their wedding, they organize it according to their wishes. This setup as been going on since 1792, by the way, it's not something that was adopted in the 21st century just to vex Muslims, contrarily to what you no doubt believe.

How is that incompatible with the Muslim faith? Why would they need sharia courts in order to get married, and why should then the state recognize a legal power to these sharia courts; when it doesn't recognize one to the churches? Remember, all the Christians there have to get married by the mayor to be legally married; they can get married by the pastor next but it is legally meaningless. This is a principle known as "separation of church and state". What prevents Muslims from getting married legally by the mayor, and then having their religious wedding ceremony with the imam? Nothing.

So why is that not satisfactory? I guess the only possible answer is if they want a marriage that would be otherwise illegal according to the laws of the land. This includes polygamy and marrying minors. Alternatively, they might not like the legal status of spouses, since you can't repudiate your wife by telling her to go away three times, instead you have to go through a proper divorce. But then, they could opt for a civil union pact instead of a marriage; the legal benefits are mostly the same but they're much easier to break.

TL;DR: sharia courts are needed if you want people to be free to marry several little girls and to then throw them away like used kleenex; they are not needed for actual marriages.

Please read further in the thread before jerking your knee. Furthermore, you forgot about Twelver fixed-term marriages, which are not possible under French law, yet are not a Trojan Horse for the vile Mohammedan to implement his single desire (there being no Muslim women, only victims) to rape children. It's such a shame that while accusations against individuals are verboten, accusations against a large number of people are innocuous.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Fixed-term marriages are just a workaround to disguise legal prostitution. I'm marrying this woman just for a couple hours, yeah it's totally a marriage.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

How? And how do you limit Saudi/Salafi influence without curtailing religious freedoms?

Something like bds but for saudi arabia, maybe publicize debates and get muslims on your side, curbing xenophobia and racism there are alot of ways to go about it.

Sethex
Jun 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Liberal_L33t posted:

My problem is encapsulated by the fact that someone posted, apparently in all seriousness, that it would be discriminatory not to allow Saudi-backed groups to set up hundreds of new mosques aimed at the latest wave of migrants. Are we really debating this?

Effectronica, SedanChair an others have pretty much defaulted to calling everyone who finds religious extremism actionable or preventable a racist who wants to purge everyone different.

This is the sort of debate that many on the left go full on Ben Affleck, not capable of hearing or reading anything but instead just assuming their opponent is advancing the beliefs in Mein Kampf.

Even the idea of restraining Saudi Money or removing religion status for extremist churches is akin to gas chambers to these people.

Their whole schtick is meant to shutdown discussion by peppering "raaaciissssssst" throughout their comments an claiming that the motivation of their opponents can't be from desire for 'secular pluralistic society' but 'white supremacy!'

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sethex posted:

Effectronica, SedanChair an others have pretty much defaulted to calling everyone who finds religious extremism actionable or preventable a racist who wants to purge everyone different.

This is the sort of debate that many on the left go full on Ben Affleck, not capable of hearing or reading anything but instead just assuming their opponent is advancing the beliefs in Mein Kampf.

Even the idea of restraining Saudi Money or removing religion status for extremist churches is akin to gas chambers to these people.

Their whole schtick is meant to shutdown discussion by peppering "raaaciissssssst" throughout their comments an claiming that the motivation of their opponents can't be from desire for 'secular pluralistic society' but 'white supremacy!'

.....yyyyeaaaaahhhh...

Because throwing around 'OMG THEY ARE BRINGING SHARIA LAW, drat DIRTY LYING ARABS!' is not a racist schtick pushed by the right.

Oh wait....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, clever, well played. But you're still wrong. All legal codes are expressions of social morality, that you may not believe them doesn't make them not a moral system. If they think that's right for them, and want to act in that way personally, then sure, but I draw the line at courts, even if they're religiously-motivated arbitration tribunals. I've laid out my reasons why, take them up or don't.

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

Controlling foreign money is a little different to curtailing religious freedoms though.

• Locked thread