Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I think there's a disconnect in that people have grown accustomed to 'open worlds' as theme parks with attractions every x units of distance or what have you. The open world in MSGV exists in order to give you maximum flexibility in how you approach missions. You don't even have to think of it as an open world if you don't want to. Just think of each Mission Area of Operation as a level with loading screens (going back to helo) in between.

But the open world makes for cool poo poo like being able to ambush convoys or sneak through a mountain pass and snipe a target from a bluff overlooking a base/village, stuff like that. The idea isn't that you wander around the open world and check icons off the map. There's an early-ish mission where you eliminate 3 enemy commanders, two of which are coming from different villages to a central village for the meeting place. The open-ness of this mission creates dozens of different ways you can handle it and is way cooler than a level-based approach. Though again, the mission areas are effectively levels in some sense so I'm not even sure what people think would be gained by isolating the areas as actual levels, there's something neat about it all being seamless and having some semblance of persistence (i.e. aa radars or comm equipment stay blown up, loving up a base may lead to HQ declaring high alerts across the entire region, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The only time MGS5 is actually an open world is when you're doing side-ops and when you have no mission at all - which is basically the same as doing side-ops since you can just drop in and out of doing those while in the open world without having to go back to Helicopter World to pick a new one. Going through the actual main-ops you get locked into a specific area of operations on that map but for the most part it tends to only encompass from one to three actual bases and then whatever guardposts are in between them.

Closest thing to Ubisoft collectibles in the game are blueprints, which you don't really need but I guess can help somehow; posters, which are basically just a GMP boost; anti-air radar dishes which are one grenade away from unlocking a new landing zone (Comms equipment works similarly but will come back eventually and just blocks the entire map from going alert instead of just the base and any nearby guardposts); diamonds, which respawn, have a set location, and guards will tell you exactly where they are on your map so you can mark them, and you don't actually need to get them at all they're just an income boost that's most useful when starting out; and animals which you also don't need to get but finding them gets you emblem parts and bonus income. Everything else is just stuff you can grab if you want but ultimately you can just make your soldiers do it and it all respawns anyway.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 14, 2015

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
speaking of side ops, i appreciated extract the prisoner 17 the most of all. not repetitive at all, that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

You can actually start main missions from the AO as well. If you select the one you want to play, there will be a start point that will lead into your briefing and lock in the mission area.

Also, a big thing to cut down on travel time is "Return to ACC" from the pause screen, which will let you just get back to Helicopter World instantly when you're not in a mission.

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

speaking of side ops, i appreciated extract the prisoner 17 the most of all. not repetitive at all, that.

I mean, the Side Ops are there mostly as a bunch of extra gameplay challenges. I've been finding the gameplay really fun so far so I enjoy them.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean, the Side Ops are there mostly as a bunch of extra gameplay challenges. I've been finding the gameplay really fun so far so I enjoy them.

eventually they literally take place in the same place as previous challenges, and the guard difficulty scales of heroism. it is the definition of repetitive.

i agree the game is fun to play, so if you space them out invading the same outposts probably wont be too bad

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'll take the silenced grenade.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

kojima made the new jaykin bacon game

nice.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

i played mgsv for 90 hours and never realized its the sequel resonance of fate deserved but never got

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I really liked mgs5 but I think a lot of the complaints in this thread are legitimate even though they don't affect me that much. My main complaint with the game is that it's too long. I just don't have the time and energy to play a game for a billion hours and I'm pretty interested in the story so that's a real shame.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

i played mgsv for 90 hours and never realized its the sequel resonance of fate deserved but never got

Someone hacked the PC version to make Weapon Customization a little more open.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Doing the work of God, that one

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't call "using the mouse button" a hack, really.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's no hack, those are all from a bug that's present in the normal game.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

I'll take the silenced grenade.

Please tell me this makes the grenades completely silent.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

I hope it's never fixed then :allears:.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Kill the guard with suppressor shrapnel. He'll never hear it coming.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The MSJ posted:

Please tell me this makes the grenades completely silent.

iirc it makes the throw completely silent, but not the explosion :(

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The best part is a decent amount of the poo poo you can do actually works.

This video's got a 100 round shotgun revolver sniper rifle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDYbEKrYL8g

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

CJacobs posted:

Are you sure the real bug isn't in the console versions?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

iirc it makes the throw completely silent, but not the explosion :(

Throwing a grenade is already silent, unless you mean that the dudes you throw it at can't see it land at their feet anymore

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Manatee Cannon posted:

Throwing a grenade is already silent, unless you mean that the dudes you throw it at can't see it land at their feet anymore

The way hooking a suppressor works is the "firing" is silent. Like if you place a suppressor on a rocket launcher, it won't make any noise until the rocket hits something. So, if you throw a grenade, there probably won't be any cloth fwip sound that you'd get from Snake's arm while tossing it.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

The best part is a decent amount of the poo poo you can do actually works.

This video's got a 100 round shotgun revolver sniper rifle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDYbEKrYL8g

i take everything back. hayter be damned, this is the best metal gear game of all time.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There's also everything about ROCKET PUUUUNCH's mechanics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etCMi6_boMQ

Getsuya posted:

Assuming I've already played all the games by the Amnesia folks and I'm not really interested in jump scares what are the scariest games on Steam?
I hear Amnesia Memories is good if you're scared of romancing pretty boys.
I don't know if these really fall into your style, but there's Alan Wake and Call of Cthulhu. I think these are lighter on the scariness though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

The way hooking a suppressor works is the "firing" is silent. Like if you place a suppressor on a rocket launcher, it won't make any noise until the rocket hits something. So, if you throw a grenade, there probably won't be any cloth fwip sound that you'd get from Snake's arm while tossing it.

I have alerted literally zero guards by throwing any kind of grenade at them until it was at their feet so, unless it stops them from seeing the grenade, I don't see the point. It's like the rocket punch: you yell and the fist makes noise but the guards can't hear any of that.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

I have alerted literally zero guards by throwing any kind of grenade at them until it was at their feet so, unless it stops them from seeing the grenade, I don't see the point. It's like the rocket punch: you yell and the fist makes noise but the guards can't hear any of that.
i alerted them all the time with sleep grenades until I switched to the sleep grenade launcher which explodes on impact

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's a moot point anyway because the silenced grenade is from Payday 2. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i alerted them all the time with sleep grenades until I switched to the sleep grenade launcher which explodes on impact

You don't alert them by throwing it though. What sets them off is the grenade landing near them; they can't hear you toss it. Guards can hear the grenade launcher though.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

You don't alert them by throwing it though. What sets them off is the grenade landing near them; they can't hear you toss it. Guards can hear the grenade launcher though.
either way the guards dive out of the way of where the grenade is, unless you have it immediately explode using a grenade launcher

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Manatee Cannon posted:

There is no point because it's a very good and also cool glitch that you can add a suppressor to a grenade or a rocket launcher, actually, one that I hope is not fixed.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 14, 2015

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I'm still saying the actual MGS5 is not out yet. But this is getting boring, so I'm gonna toxx myself here.

:toxx:

If by the end of December 2015 there is no official confirmation or anything that will prove beyond a shadow of doubt that there will be more chapters to MGSV or MGS5 (or at least some kind of additional epilogue or Mission 51), I will buy a 15-20 dollar/euro game for each of the next five people who reply to this toxx and say they agree to it. The game will be of their choosing, or even multiple games, as long as the total value is within the specified amount.

If less than five people agree to it, the participants will simply get a higher-valued game out of it. I'll divide 100 by 4 and so on.

However, if I'm right, then those five people will each buy me a 15-20 dollar/euro game or multiple games of a total value not exceeding the specified amount. Or, if there are fewer participants, then of a higher value. This will be specified if need be once the deadline for this toxx is reached.

I'd say we'll find out this month on the 21st (or even get a new chapter), but there's no guarantee they won't extend the ARG.

I accept entries for this toxx until Friday.

EDIT: It must be the continuation of the story. No silly plotless mission packs.

Blattdorf fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 14, 2015

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Blattdorf posted:

I'm still saying the actual MGS5 is not out yet. But this is getting boring, so I'm gonna toxx myself here.

If by the end of December 2015 there is no official confirmation or anything that will prove beyond a shadow of doubt that there will be more chapters to MGSV or MGS5 (or at least some kind of additional epilogue or Mission 51), I will buy a 15-20 dollar/euro game for each of the next five people who reply to this toxx and say they agree to it. The game will be of their choosing, or even multiple games, as long as the total value is within the specified amount.

If less than five people agree to it, the participants will simply get a higher-valued game out of it. I'll divide 100 by 4 and so on.

However, if I'm right, then those five people will each buy me a 15-20 dollar/euro game or multiple games of a total value not exceeding the specified amount. Or, if there are fewer participants, then of a higher value. This will be specified if need be once the deadline for this toxx is reached.

I'd say we'll find out this month on the 21st (or even get a new chapter), but there's no guarantee they won't extend the ARG.

This is going to be the easiest twenty bucks I ever made.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Blattdorf posted:

:10bux::10bux: me, breh.

I don't know poo poo about MGS but I know Konami doesn't give a flying gently caress about video games anymore.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Wait, I chickened out. Any DLC poo poo would count as extending the game and there's likely going to be tons of these in the next few weeks.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Blattdorf posted:

I enjoy video games.

I mean you realise you're screwed, right? No way Konami is going to do anything of the sort.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Wait, you're counting any mission-adding DLC? Nevermind then, that's dumb.

There will be no "final chapter" added to the game though, I'll stand by that.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 14, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
There will be a new MGS game, surely enough. Silent Hill and Castlevania pachinkos exist now, only a matter of time before there's a MGS pachinko IMO. :v:

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The toxx is that MGSV is going to be continued. I even think it won't be paid DLC, but I'd rather not bet on this.

It also must continue the story. I'd go as far as to say the whole game will be 135 episodes long plus an epilogue, but this is awfully specific.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Blattdorf posted:

The toxx is that MGSV is going to be continued. I even think it won't be paid DLC, but I'd rather not bet on this.

It also must continue the story. I'd go as far as to say the whole game will be 135 episodes long plus an epilogue, but this is awfully specific.

Godspeed, you crazy goon. In my heart I hope you are right, so I will not bet against you. But it's Konami, be logic about it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Blattdorf posted:

EDIT: It must be the continuation of the story. No silly plotless mission packs.

So like not paid DLC padding of the early game/regular missions, but an actual "haha we didn't end this game?"/specifically mission 51+?

Yeah, easiest money I've ever made, count me in.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
RIP your $100.

• Locked thread