Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Nuebot posted:

So I'm on the Tenrou Island arc and this is getting kind of not so good now. Does the crazy over use of "My Friendship!" take a back seat after this or does it keep on trucking? Because I'm kind of hard pressed to think of any other series where characters are so blatantly out matched and going on at length about how defeated they are before going "But my friends!" and then winning in one hit.

The series in general gets much more interesting from that part to now because we actually get a sense of something going on outside of the guild itself and build up legitimate motivations with the main characters (well, except Lucy because you already know all of that). But to actually answer this question, not really, the characters continue to win fights "BECAUSE HE HAS FRIENDS!" still, particularly Natsu and Lucy. (Although Natsu's overuse of this trope gets more interesting in contrast with the main villain later on)

Relevant: http://i.imgur.com/8p1C2Hl.gif

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Latest strip has the best ending page.

How are we gonna kill Zeref? He's invincibile!
I have secret plan I've been saving.

I'm gonna punch him.

And he will.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

PFlats posted:

I have secret plan I've been saving.

I'm gonna punch him.

If it isn't broke...

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Goddamn Mavis. So if she isn't really 100% dead, what is she doing? Astral Projecting? Can she do this all the time? Why hasn't she been doing this from day 1? She may be stuck naked in a crystal forever but it seems like she just kind of gets to ignore most of the negative effects of being mostly dead. She just hangs out and goes wherever she wants. I don't necessarily hate her character, but she is an annoying ball of convenience.

Natsu rules though.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Well she can talk with FT members, but that's kind of it. P sure she's still a ghost that can't eat or touch or anything of the sort.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Kyte posted:

Well she can talk with FT members, but that's kind of it. P sure she's still a ghost that can't eat or touch or anything of the sort.

:nws:
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Fairy-Tail/Omake-Natsu-VS-Mavis?id=219566
:nws:

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Why did Precht strip Mavis?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's just that sort of manga (refer to the post above yours).

kohon
Feb 26, 2015
I really do hope he explains how she is still able to use magic despite being in a vegetative state. Creating illusions is her primary magic in Zero. And she also used fairy sphere on tenrou somehow.

Also, how can other members use Law? And why would Precht develop Grimoire Law?

I really hope Mashima doesn't forget to answer things like this.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Goddamn Mavis. So if she isn't really 100% dead, what is she doing? Astral Projecting? Can she do this all the time? Why hasn't she been doing this from day 1? She may be stuck naked in a crystal forever but it seems like she just kind of gets to ignore most of the negative effects of being mostly dead. She just hangs out and goes wherever she wants. I don't necessarily hate her character, but she is an annoying ball of convenience.

Natsu rules though.

Not only is she ignoring the effect of being dead, she's ignoring the entire Curse and hanging out with her friends normally.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
badd mann

also i think mashima forgot fairy tail has a sand magic user

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
These guys are ON ANOTHER LEVEL, no fooling this time. We're going to face challenges we've never faced before with this gang of bad guys who have powers and personalities which mirror our own! We better WATCH OUT!

Although maybe since this is the final arc, or whatever, there will be some mixups to the formula and Fairy Tail members will die or something.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Nope that won't happen and why would it be good anyway?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Acnologia seems pretty lonely, just grandstanding and talking to himself out on that mountain.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm guessing Natsu's trump card involves Acnologia's lost arm.

kohon
Feb 26, 2015

Silver2195 posted:

I'm guessing Natsu's trump card involves Acnologia's lost arm.

Yeah I think that's what the implication was. Didn't Igneel just tear it off, or did he do something else like eat it or something?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If it's like Rave Master they'll probably have an older member die. Probably Gildartz or finally poor loving Makarov.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

sharktamer posted:

Nope that won't happen and why would it be good anyway?

I dunno, up the stakes of a story that gets told with slightly different, but essentially the same, bad guys every arc? Fairy Tail is above all else consistent, but jeez, it feels like it's floating towards a destination we already know all the story beats to. I'm not saying that someone dying will make it good, this is FT and it's never exactly been "good", I am saying that maybe mixing it up a little, whatever that means or entails, will make it a bit more interesting.

Think of it this way, the dragons showing up and their fates was probably the best moment this manga has had in years.

TNG fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 14, 2015

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Who let this happen.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

:psyduck:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

What the gently caress.

That was amusing but those two series' are like opposite ends of the spectrum tonally. Who the gently caress decided to put them together? I guess it was just "popular thing + popular thing = money" but still, drat, that's surreal. Is "Neo Parasyte" really going to be a thing?

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

TNG posted:

I dunno, up the stakes of a story that gets told with slightly different, but essentially the same, bad guys every arc? Fairy Tail is above all else consistent, but jeez, it feels like it's floating towards a destination we already know all the story beats to. I'm not saying that someone dying will make it good, this is FT and it's never exactly been "good", I am saying that maybe mixing it up a little, whatever that means or entails, will make it a bit more interesting.

Think of it this way, the dragons showing up and their fates was probably the best moment this manga has had in years.

Yeah but that's not really due to them dying or because of anything they did but because he draws really nice dragons

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What the gently caress.

That was amusing but those two series' are like opposite ends of the spectrum tonally. Who the gently caress decided to put them together? I guess it was just "popular thing + popular thing = money" but still, drat, that's surreal. Is "Neo Parasyte" really going to be a thing?

Lucy and Migi sharing the same voice actress might have something to do with it

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 16, 2015

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Lucy and Migi sharing the same voice actress might have something to do with it

I forgot about that. :v: It all makes sense.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Simoom posted:

Yeah but that's not really due to them dying or because of anything they did but because he draws really nice dragons

I dunno, I thought Natsu finding Igneel and Igneel's death made Natsu a character I was much more interested in reading about. A good way to create drama is to give a character what they want, but not in the way they wanted it. Natsu had the opportunity to get some more depth by being able to explore what he was really about now that the big Igneel question had been answered. Of course that all went to poo poo because of the time skip and Mashima being a pretty bad writer.

Saying that though, you're absolutely right. I'm mostly reading this turkey because of the good art, embarrassing titty stuff notwithstanding.

TNG fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 16, 2015

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nothing could make Natsu an interesting character.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

chumbler posted:

Nothing could make Natsu an interesting character.

What if he could turn into a dragon, so we could see more dragons being drawn?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

r00tn00b posted:

What if he could turn into a dragon, so we could see more dragons being drawn?

Dragon-Slaying Dragon-Slayer Dragon Magic.

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Dragon-Slaying Dragon-Slayer Dragon Magic.

Hey one dragon-slayer already turned into a dragon, so it's not impossible.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Has this been posted yet?
New Chapter showcasing all the badies.

I think whoever called Natsu's arm being Acnologia is probably correct.

Is this the last arc of the series?

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 17, 2015

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Suspicious Lump posted:

I think whoever called Natsu's arm being Acnologia is probably correct.

Left != Right

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Avulsion posted:

Left != Right
Natsu could secretly be J Geil.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have to wonder why there is no Fairy Tail Warriors game yet. Though really that could be said of all shounen.

Carlton Minter
Jul 22, 2015

You gotta be so predictable that it's unpredictable

chumbler posted:

I have to wonder why there is no Fairy Tail Warriors game yet. Though really that could be said of all shounen.

I remember hearing somewhere that there was a Fairy Tail game in the making. I don't know if it's still in production though

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Avulsion posted:

Left != Right
Good point! Wouldn't it be hilarious if the author got this mixed around like I did? heh.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

What the gently caress.

This seems to be just a "Thing" that happens to Parasyte. I remember the heady days when Tokyopop sold their Proto-Shonen Jump (Mixxzine or some such?) with Sailor Moon as their big headline alongside Parasyte which was IIRC largely uncut (I think the only thing that got cut was the dick hand gag so yeah. Little girls getting that when getting their Sailor Moon fix.

:eng101:

jiffypop45
Dec 30, 2011

I've never read a crossover I thought was well written. Am I missing the point?

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Its just for mindless fanservice but not the kind Fairy Tail is usually about.

new chapter is out and I'm wondering if Lucy has always done the sulk around looking wistful thing or if this is a post timeskip sort of deal.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Gray is for real dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Rodyle posted:

Gray is for real dead
It wouldn't be the first time.

• Locked thread