Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah I got my TAL feed working again and boy was that episode rugged. My favorite was the one woman who had to put a full stop in her dramatic buildup speech to keep from accidentally dropping a racial slur.

Also, is it bad that I couldn't remember who Michael Brown was until they mentioned St Louis? We need to stop shooting each other, I can't keep track of all these names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Normally I'd be upset about another rerun but Petty Tyrant is a Top 5 episode so I am totally on board.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Strange Matter posted:

Normally I'd be upset about another rerun but Petty Tyrant is a Top 5 episode so I am totally on board.

Yeah I listened to that at the end of a 10-hour road trip on Monday and it was equal parts :lol: and :stare:. First time hearing it too.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i've been in a bad work situation before, and i have sympathy for the people who said "you had to be there" to explain why they did some of the things they did; it does totally warp your mind when you have to deal with someone who uses their authority in petty and vindictive ways. but i have no idea how i would react if i had to work with someone in the position Raucci was, who did the stuff he did :psyduck:

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 26, 2015

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i've been in a bad work situation before, and i have sympathy for the people who said "you had to be there" to explain why they did some of the things they did; it does totally warp your mind when you have to deal with someone who uses their authority in petty and vindictive ways. but i have no idea how i would react if i had to work with someone in the position Raucci was, who did the stuff he did :psyduck:

It's also amazing to me how much this poo poo escalated because no one in power ever took the complaints seriously.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

C-Euro posted:

Yeah I listened to that at the end of a 10-hour road trip on Monday and it was equal parts :lol: and :stare:. First time hearing it too.

Sup, fellow listening-to-it-on-a-roadtrip-for-the-first-time buddy! (That is a weird coincidence, since I'm fairly certain we were on entirely unrelated roadtrips).

:stare::respek::stare:

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
RE: the latest episode about the Lower 9th Ward in New Orleans:

Am I jerk for not really feeling bad for the guy whose multiple homes are being foreclosed on (his story is about 40 minutes in)? On the one hand I understand that predatory loan organizations are a think and people get scammed all the time, but the guy was basically jockeying to become a rent baron in the Lower 9th and didn't even read the loan agreement that he was signing. It feels like he kind of brought it on himself.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
His multiple homes = his two homes. He was doing a completely reasonable investment method before the flood, and he got caught up in a legitimate but nontraditional loan program in an effort to get back on his feet. He should've understood the loan better, but was making his payments on time (as he understood them), and it's not as though a bank has never taken advantage of a borrower's ignorance.

There's no mustache-twirling villain, but you make it sound like he'd bought up the block as some speculation scheme.

Edit: seriously, when is using the rent on a second property to pay the mortgage on both properties being a "rent baron"?

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 1, 2015

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Goddammit, I didn't see that last piece coming. Crying on the subway is not a good look.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Modern Leper posted:

Goddammit, I didn't see that last piece coming. Crying on the subway is not a good look.

The one with the two boys who were friends? I liked that. After big disasters I only ever see news stories about people who can't find their family. Hearing about people who were OK and found each other afterward is really cool.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The one with the two boys who were friends? I liked that. After big disasters I only ever see news stories about people who can't find their family. Hearing about people who were OK and found each other afterward is really cool.

They just set it up so well with that naked plea to the "camera." I was already done at that point, and then they have the phone call and I'm trying to find an unoccupied corner of the subway car.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
I have about a million TAL things I want to post (didn't know this thread or even subforum existed until tonight), too busy but I want to know quickly if Zoe Chase's accent has come up before. I hate hate hate it. I don't usually mess with people for the way they talk but I'm convinced it's a fake put-on thing to make her stand out on radio. I've spent a lot of time in all parts of the midwest and never heard anything that strong. Am I wrong? Am I getting mad about something legit? Like I'm cool with Sarah Vowell because even though she technically doesn't have a "voice for radio" it's the one she was born with and her content is p good so whatever, don't even notice. But Zoe Chase ruins a story for me (though I liked her interviews in nola this week).

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Nah, Zoe's great and her voice doesn't bother me one bit. I like how distinctive her voice is and I usually enjoy what she's using it to say. I don't believe it's a put-on thing, though.

Not referring to you, Rubies, but since you bring it up: people are way too weird about female voices on the radio/podcasts. I know I've heard at least a segment on TAL about it. My favourite thing is the response from Katie Mingle and the 99% Invisible crew:

(Article https://medium.com/speak-louder/99-invisible-podcast-s-brilliant-response-to-criticism-of-women-s-voices-2d39f49a0569here)

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

No I totally agree that people for some reason instinctively need to find a problem with any woman's voice. It wasn't TAL but some other show had this long thing about "vocal fry" which was like a 99% made up thing but it generated a ton of emails from people just waiting to pounce on women for daring to speak like a newsman instead of a ditzy weather girl. That's why I asked if there's a chance her accent fake - I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat and just jump on someone for the way they speak if that's just the way it is, but I have never ever in my life heard a midwestern accent even close to that strong IRL, and all the chunky consonants seem forced to me too (again, have never heard that in anyone's normal speaking voice).

Because of that it seems forced, and while appreciating the fact that everyone has a unique vocal persona on a purely audio medium, I find it distracting and annoying.

Rubies fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 5, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Rubies posted:

No I totally agree that people for some reason instinctively need to find a problem with any woman's voice. It wasn't TAL but some other show had this long thing about "vocal fry" which was like a 99% made up thing but it generated a ton of emails from people just waiting to pounce on women for daring to speak like a newsman instead of a ditzy weather girl. That's why I asked if there's a chance it's fake - I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat and just jump on someone for the way they speak, but I have never ever in my life heard a midwestern accent even close to that strong, and all the chunky consonants seem forced to me too (again, have never heard that in anyone's normal speaking voice).

actually, the segment on "vocal fry" was TAL!

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/545/if-you-dont-have-anything-nice-to-say-say-it-in-all-caps

the thing that i thought was hilarious about this was that ira glass has the fry-est vocals on the planet, and yet they say that they have never gotten this kind of complaint about any of the men on the show :pwn:

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Rubies posted:

No I totally agree that people for some reason instinctively need to find a problem with any woman's voice. It wasn't TAL but some other show had this long thing about "vocal fry" which was like a 99% made up thing but it generated a ton of emails from people just waiting to pounce on women for daring to speak like a newsman instead of a ditzy weather girl. That's why I asked if there's a chance her accent fake - I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat and just jump on someone for the way they speak if that's just the way it is, but I have never ever in my life heard a midwestern accent even close to that strong, and all the chunky consonants seem forced to me too (again, have never heard that in anyone's normal speaking voice). Because of that it seems forced, and while appreciating the fact that everyone has a unique vocal persona on a purely audio medium, I find it distracting and annoying.

I believe this is from an interview from NPR:

quote:

There is much speculation on the Internet about where Chace picked up her particular accent. She explains that it's a proprietary blend: a New England family, a Manhattan childhood, college at Oberlin in Ohio, and a first job as a teacher in a Philadelphia high school.

edit -- Also, considering all the poo poo she gets for it, I can't imagine that having that voice/accent has worked to her advantage in any great way. Check out the comment sections under any segment/story she's done or any YouTube video she's in and its pretty clear that at best people are fairly divided on it and at worst there is a significant percentage that vocally hate it.

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 5, 2015

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

Haha seeing my own thoughts typed out makes me realise that I'm over thinking it anyway. I did like her in the New Orleans ep and I think she hosted that garbage barge one from a few months ago that I liked so I should probably just enjoy her segments.

Anyway, pretend I jumped into the thread at this point. I love TAL and in 07 downloaded a torrent with every episode and started from ep 1 onwards. Made it pretty deep but podcasts started blowing up so that backlog was cutting into current stuff I like, and now I just load up the latest eps every Monday.

I doubt I'm the first person to mention this, but the 90s and early 00s eps are still great to listen to. I just like politics anyway and hearing them get all nervous predicting conservative influence and war and cultural things (that mostly came true) is weird and awesome. Even ep 1 is cool, the guy that became some hotshot editor tells a moving story about his journey to holy sites in I/P and has a dramatic arc that sets the tone of the show moving forward 20 years very well.

e: also didn't realize Ira and Phillip are related until he mentioned it in that live musical episode, though I knew they were both Jewish guys from Baltimore with the same last name and should have probably made that connection sooner :P

Rubies fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 5, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

lol if you don't have a google alert set for any changes to philip glass's wikipedia page

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ChetReckless posted:

Nah, Zoe's great and her voice doesn't bother me one bit. I like how distinctive her voice is and I usually enjoy what she's using it to say. I don't believe it's a put-on thing, though.

Not referring to you, Rubies, but since you bring it up: people are way too weird about female voices on the radio/podcasts. I know I've heard at least a segment on TAL about it. My favourite thing is the response from Katie Mingle and the 99% Invisible crew:

(Article https://medium.com/speak-louder/99-invisible-podcast-s-brilliant-response-to-criticism-of-women-s-voices-2d39f49a0569here)

This is great. Vocal fry is something that kind of stands out to me, but it's something I've gotten used to. It can be annoying, but it's true that women are leapt upon if they're even slightly less than silent and/or coquettish, so I just have to remind myself not to be an enormous goddamn douchebag about it and either deal with it or fast forward. I don't care for the drolly bored New York male voice that tends to come out of certain TAL segments, either, but is it just my imagination or are there fewer of those lately? The current thing among guys in story podcasts is to be excited and excitable, like it's a TED talk or something.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I googled Zoe Chace to make sure it was the one I was thinking of and this is the 2nd result on google: http://www.quora.com/NPR-Planet-Money/Why-does-Zoe-Chaces-voice-irritate-so-many-people

Also I don't mind her voice and I can't imagine the type of weirdos that bother to write in to complain about any radio persons voice. However, if I was going to complain about any radio personalities voices that appear on TAL it would definitely be Ira Glass and constant contributor David Sedaris.

I honestly don't mind Glass's voice too much, but sometimes if I'm in a less happy mood and I'll just get annoyed quick by Ira Glass and the way he pronounces certain words. And Sedaris isn't awful. I think its probably just when they play audio that was recorded live in front of an audience. Every little thing he says makes the audience die with laughter. It just reminds me of that simpsons clip where Homer gets pissed at the television when Garrison Keilor is on and hits the TV and says something to the effect of, "Stupid TV, be funny" as the audience is laughing up a riot at the smallest Keilor quip.

I am not bothered by Chace, however I did always find the way she enunciates a few things a tad weird.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I do sometimes get bothered by Zoe Chace's voice. It can sound a bit affected when she's narrating, but not so much when interviewing. It does seem as though when she gets to a more serious part or the turn of the story that she adopts a more measured pace, sounds less natural, and the period-doubling (one aspect of 'vocal fry') also gets more noticeable. As a check, I picked a point in the last episode: At about 43 minutes, she seems natural. About 30 seconds later, the story gets more intense and there seem to be more subharmonics thrown in.

A really unscientific and casual comparison of two voices with 'creak' suggests that it may be more noticeable when women do it if they are dropping farther below their typical vocal range.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

doctorfrog posted:

I don't care for the drolly bored New York male voice that tends to come out of certain TAL segments, either, but is it just my imagination or are there fewer of those lately?
As a balance to any pilings on about women's voices, in addition to the recent complaints about Sedaris I also think listening to Jonathan Goldstein sucks.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Kangra posted:

I do sometimes get bothered by Zoe Chace's voice. It can sound a bit affected when she's narrating, but not so much when interviewing. It does seem as though when she gets to a more serious part or the turn of the story that she adopts a more measured pace, sounds less natural,

a bunch of the people on public radio adopt a silly affected "NPR Tone" and i don't understand why certain reporters get singled out. i think it's something that's enforced as a condition of employment, actually. there was a younger gal who was the business reporter for minnesota public radio a few years ago, and when she first started i really enjoyed her pieces because when something was exciting she would actually sound, like, excited about it! whoa! but there was a point after which she adopted that awful drab monotone that too many radio reporters use, and i have to assume it's because she was sat down one day and told "yeah, umm, it would be great if you could talk, more like this" by some manager who sounded like lumbergh from office space.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 6, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I just want to hear Zoe Chace's impression of a turkey

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Yeah, I'd have to say Zoe Chace's voice doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes she pauses a little too much between sentences, I guess, but I don't really notice it normally.

Now Sarah Vowell, there's a voice that's made me change the channel.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The second act this week is giving me serious flashbacks to the store that was an ATF front.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Now Sarah Vowell, there's a voice that's made me change the channel.

For some time, I though Sarah Vowell and Kirsten Schall were the same person.

They're both pretty great at what they're doing, though.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The worst public radio voice is that guy that does the movie reviews on Fresh Air.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The second act this week is giving me serious flashbacks to the store that was an ATF front.
They should bundle those two along with The Convert to create a "the Government is really terrible at running stings" trilogy.

jihaaaaaad...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Drunkboxer posted:

The worst public radio voice is that guy that does the movie reviews on Fresh Air.

now that you mention it, the on-air staff of fresh air is probably the epicenter of my eye rolling and annoyed grunting when it comes to public radio programs. most of them have that affected monotone robot thing going on, to which is added the most banal interviewing style, where we editorialize via moronic monologue introductions to the most incurious softball questions possible. ugh

Johnny Longtorso
Nov 24, 2007
The Man Who Comes In Pieces!
I hate downloading an episode of Fresh Air that I think will be interesting then discovering it's Dave Davies doing the interview.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I like Dave Davies. Sometimes Gross bugs me the way she phrases questions.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

sometimes she lobs a never ending train of softballs that were seemingly handed to her by her guest's PR team. other times she digs in on some really small point, and most of the time she does this I've felt like she chose to seize on that particular point not out of critically examining the issue or the person she's interviewing, but rather how "controversial" she thinks it will be among some hypothetical "npr liberal" listener who is coincidentally as dull as a box of rocks. or she adds a bunch of affected upward inflections to a "question" that she knows the answer to but maybe wants the listener to think is "controversial" or "unsettled" or that we will only know because she is asking this person this question. or her guest will tell a really heartwarming story about giving kites to children in refugee camps who have never seen kites before, and her response is "wow, that's a great story" with the tone of voice that says she is commenting on how awesome it would be to have that story to tell, but who cares about the those kids

im mad. mad about radio

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
Zoe's voice sorta bugs me, but I don't get all that much enjoyment out of Planet Money, so I just don't listen to it.

Is there some magical TAL feed that just updates with the "one long story" episodes? I dig those, but never find myself in the mood for whatever twee stuff Mike Birbiglia and David Sedaris have going on in the regular theme episodes.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Snap was pretty good this week. Treasure hunter, and an undercover cop tough guy story. http://snapjudgment.org/Brass-Ring

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

holy poo poo, is this burger science episode new? it's the gooniest topic i have ever heard and it's amazing lol

e: and holy poo poo zoe chace schools the nerdy burger marketing dudes omg holy poo poo

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 12, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I just listened to the episode from a few weeks ago about the abusive relationship and the guy who couldn't speak to his dad, both of which killed me. I have no greater insight than that, but I'm glad that they ended on pretty happy endings because the journey there was pretty rending, especially the latter since it hit too close to home for comfort.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
The one about not speaking to your dad floored me. If they were separated, I could understand, but how could you just grow up with them without viewing it as a huge problem. The part about his little brother learning Chinese but he didn't practically made me cry. Something about having your suspicions about being the ugly duckling confirmed.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Zoe Chace's accent wouldn't be so irritating if she didn't deliberately intensify it whenever she sees even the smallest micro-opportunity in her speech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

An Enormous Boner posted:

Zoe Chace's accent wouldn't be so irritating if she didn't deliberately intensify it whenever she sees even the smallest micro-opportunity in her speech.

maybe you should write a letter to ira glass about it

• Locked thread