Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Frankly at this point it's a case of

Jeremy Corbyn did X

Jeremy Corbyn is bad

therefore X is bad

Year 92 in the Islamic Calander: A Northumbrian gentleman lays ravage to the Scots.

Tesseraction fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Homeopathy is bad.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Overminty posted:

What even makes them the "good jobs" anyway? Is it the fact that they're high profile?
Men have them, therefore they're the good ones. And the ones women have? They're poo poo, because Corbs doesn't respect women.

forkboy84 posted:

It is almost as if the press's job isn't to inform but to push misinformation on behalf of their exceedingly rich owners. Makes u think
make sme think

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pissflaps posted:

Homeopathy is bad.

Thus, prince Charles is bad.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Oberleutnant posted:

Men have them, therefore they're the good ones. And the ones women have? They're poo poo, because Corbs doesn't respect women.

Well he did suggest they all be segregated into their own train carriages so this checks out.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Disappointed & somewhat surprised to see that the conference arrangements committee elections saw the 2 right wing candidates win, & quite comfortably. Especially disappointed to see Katy Clark didn't get in.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"Jeremy Corbyn pinched my bottom" by Daily Mail Reporter

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Disappointed & somewhat surprised to see that the conference arrangements committee elections saw the 2 right wing candidates win, & quite comfortably. Especially disappointed to see Katy Clark didn't get in.

I saw that section, but I had no clue about any of them and left them blank: I imagine many others did.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

lol, apparently because Abbott was deposed today he won't receive a Prime Ministerial pension. If he'd made it to Friday he would have. :byewhore:

A good week in politics.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Mr. Flunchy posted:

lol, apparently because Abbott was deposed today he won't receive a Prime Ministerial pension. If he'd made it to Friday he would have. :byewhore:

A good week in politics.

Now all we need is Harper's scalp

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Harper is apparently on course to do badly. Apparently he shut down a poo poo ton of veterans centres and they were a key demographic for always voting Tory. So bad that veterans have to be hidden when he visits places because they are object-throwing levels of angry at the piece of poo poo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Renaissance Robot posted:

This week on BBC news: robbits are coming to TEK YER JERBS. This bad because the only way for you to stay alive is to be enslaved to capital.

Smh. I'm not surprised, just disappointed. Honest journalism about the future of robotics would require asking some actually hard questions about why the status quo exists, whether it needs to, and if comforting notions like "it's okay because machines can't make art" are even true.
They then turned around and said that the conclusion was 'not much to worry about' right after saying that 35% of jobs could be replaced, because hairdressers and journalists are at low risk. I think the lack of alarmism is worse. We could be looking at greater unemployment than the Great Depression (or more likely disguising that through zero hour contracts and apprentice robot washers) but it's no big deal guys, no need to change how we look at employment and being able to live.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

nothing to seehere posted:

I saw that section, but I had no clue about any of them and left them blank: I imagine many others did.

You should have read UKMT, someone (forget who) posted a good guide on each of the 5 candidates. That said, when you received your ballot there was also a booklet which set out the positions of the 5 candidates. It was quite useful for CAC & National Policy Forum candidates.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!
John Healey's just stood up in Parliament and said that the Labour Party membership is now somewhere around 325,000 which is twice that of the Tory's. (I'm certain that this number will be going up over the next few weeks!)

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I get the impression Tone was the 'Gove becomes Tory leader' joke come to life, but how poo poo is the new guy?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Venmoch posted:

John Healey's just gone and said that the Labour Party membership is now somewhere around 325,000 which is twice that of the Tory's. (I'm certain that this number will be going up over the next few weeks!)

I wonder if there has also been an exodus of Blairites? It would be hard to fault them if there was, the rest of the party membership just told them to gently caress of in the clearest terms.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Venmoch posted:

John Healey's just stood up in Parliament and said that the Labour Party membership is now somewhere around 325,000 which is twice that of the Tory's. (I'm certain that this number will be going up over the next few weeks!)

Reminder also that membership of the Conservatives has collapsed by 50% (iirc) under Cameron.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Venmoch posted:

That sounds cool, is there a video of it?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Worth remembering that the 2nd reading of the Trade Union Bill is due to begin at half 3.

Oh, & the Fire Brigade Union is talking about re-affiliating with Labour, while the RMT say this will be discussed at their next conference.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 14, 2015

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

PiCroft posted:

That sounds cool, is there a video of it?

He spoke as part of the Oral questions for Communities and Local Government just now. I'd imagine it'll be on the Hansard soon!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Peel posted:

I get the impression Tone was the 'Gove becomes Tory leader' joke come to life, but how poo poo is the new guy?

Corporatist bully and general slimeball. Still a less embarrassing leader than the shaved chimp.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

:siren::siren: Trade Union Debate starting now. :siren::siren:

Bercow's turned up as well, and has stated that he's had at least 62 requests to speak at this debate so this could be exciting. He's also repremanded people for speaking and leaving. Bercow's doing his job as speaker quite well.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jezza is wearing a tie and immediately I feel like I've been betrayed.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

They then turned around and said that the conclusion was 'not much to worry about' right after saying that 35% of jobs could be replaced, because hairdressers and journalists are at low risk. I think the lack of alarmism is worse. We could be looking at greater unemployment than the Great Depression (or more likely disguising that through zero hour contracts and apprentice robot washers) but it's no big deal guys, no need to change how we look at employment and being able to live.

Point. I think alarmism bugs me more because it doesn't guarantee a discussion of our attitude to work but almost always concludes with either "full luddism now" or an encouragement to doomsday prep in advance of the rise of Skynet.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

This week on BBC news: robbits are coming to TEK YER JERBS. This bad because the only way for you to stay alive is to be enslaved to capital.

Smh. I'm not surprised, just disappointed. Honest journalism about the future of robotics would require asking some actually hard questions about why the status quo exists, whether it needs to, and if comforting notions like "it's okay because machines can't make art" are even true.

Guavanaut posted:

Honestly, this is huge, and will become a growing issue, especially as people likely to be hit are lower-skilled people who have less skills and less financial backing to be able to comfortably retrain. And of course there's no room for the unemployed in a Britain Living Within It's Means so

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The FBU may be reaffiliating with labour which is no surprise considering they've been supporting Corbyn from the start

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Corbyn is now in the House of Commons, and he's wearing a tie. Cue Guardian 'CORBYN BETRAYS TIE NON-WEARERS IN SHAMEFUL CLIMBDOWN' any moment now.

Edit: beaten by forkboy84

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

and if comforting notions like "it's okay because machines can't make art" are even true.
It obviously isn't true unless you literally believe that human minds are supernatural.

edit: I mean we might never figure out in practise but it's certainly possible in principle. Unless you think the brain runs on fairy dust.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Is there an online overseas feed for BBC Parliament? Not for now so much, but I want it for PMQs

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

They are always so loving patronising towards skinner

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

FBU general sec also tipped the RMT for a possible reaffiliation

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

freebooter posted:

Is there an online overseas feed for BBC Parliament? Not for now so much, but I want it for PMQs

Are you able to access it here? It's the HofC livefeed: - http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/f4d49761-80f2-4dc5-ad59-6303af06df70

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Dennis Skinner, never change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHGDDMAP5qU

Also I am stoked about McDonnell as the Shadow Chancellor. He is one of the very few who strongly opposes the blacklisting activities going against trade union activists, and one of the founding members of the Blacklist Support Group, which was founded to bring compensation to those hurt by the practice. He is a principled man who I am willing to put my trust in for that position.

e; if you have missed it somehow, read up about the trade union blacklisting. It is my chief interest (have family on the list). There is a fantastic book by Dave Smith and Phil Chamberlain out there which gives the whole story, called Blacklisted: The Secret War between Big Business and Union Activists.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 14, 2015

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Bookmarked, cheers!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Tuned in just in time to see Sajid Javid try to spin the union bill as pro-worker. :catstare:

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Going straight from Leslie to McDonnell is like some bizarre fever dream. It's great, and I am glad people who were previously on the absolute fringes of the party for no good reason are suddenly on the front bench.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Autonomous Monster posted:

Tuned in just in time to see Sajid Javid try to spin the union bill as pro-worker. :catstare:

I don't think anyone in the Conservative Party knows what a Union is for or really does. But then again, I'm fairly certain none of them where ever a member of one.

-EDIT- They're trying to sell the "Conservatives are the party of the working class" nonsense again.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

"Think of the poor self-employed construction worker (WHO GETS ON) who can't work because teachers are striking and he has to stay with his kids (because teaching is nothing more than glorified loving babysitting)."

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Venmoch posted:

I don't think anyone in the Conservative Party knows what a Union is for or really does. But then again, I'm fairly certain none of them where ever a member of one.

There is one but he's the speaker of the house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

It's an utterly terrifying act of spin. How can these people get away with trying to take Labour laws back to the 19th century?

• Locked thread