Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oberleutnant posted:

I'm not able to watch, but this shadow cabinet has been put together less than a day. Hardly surprising that they're finding their feet.

It's all been backbenchers thus far. Including good ol' Dennis Skinner. Caroline Lucas had a very good point at the beginning & Dawn Butler has been pretty good too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Smackdown by Angela Eagle.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
gently caress off john redwood

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pesmerga posted:

Smackdown by Angela Eagle.

Yeah they're doing well now they're running the debate. Before it was mostly 'what the gently caress mate' at the tories

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

notaspy posted:

Jesus the Tories are a slick operation. Constantly reinforcing their own narrative, labour seem to be all at sea. Passionate but a bit useless.

It's easier to read and speak up in support of a speech you've had prepared than respond to one you're hearing for the first time. They're doing better now that Eagle has the floor.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Clive Lewis is pretty good, isn't he?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pesmerga posted:

And then blame the people on the buses, rather than the company that cuts services to increase profits.

[citation needed]

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

forkboy84 posted:

Clive Lewis is pretty good, isn't he?

Not bad at all. Who was the red-tied Labour MP speaking a bit before him?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Phoon posted:

This TU bill is loving tyrannical and the guardian frontpage is still primarily about the number of women in the shadow cabinet

its not even on the politics page

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!
Union money is "The Cleanest money in politics" apparently.

Its certainly better than hedgefund money.

I also love the Labour MP's are using the tory "They must declare their interests" attack as something of a rallying cry with a number of them using it to say they are proud Trade Unionists.

-EDIT- Also, tory frontbenchers get the gently caress off your phones for gently caress sake. Its a debate, take some loving attention.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Jose posted:

its not even on the politics page

Don't you know, it's because Grauniad readers are aspirational hard working people who just want to Get On (the tube).

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Prince John posted:

Don't you know, it's because Grauniad readers are aspirational hard working people who just want to Get On (the tube).

We support the right to protest (so long as you don't inconvenience me personally).

Also: we like to talk about inequality, but please don't do anything about it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

She's kind of amazing

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I like Angela Eagle, this is good

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Pesmerga posted:

We support the right to protest (so long as you don't inconvenience me personally).

Also: we like to talk about inequality, but please don't do anything about it.

Time for Phil Ochs again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I like Eagle and all but she could try sound a bit assertive. She keeps speaking in staccato and it's a bit jarring.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Okay now she's getting into it. That's more like it!

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
This is brilliant, and what Labour should have been doing for the past five years.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Tesseraction posted:

I like Eagle and all but she could try sound a bit assertive. She keeps speaking in staccato and it's a bit jarring.

She sounds completely confident with it though - she's not hesitating, it's like non-stop calm ownage. I like when people try to take the floor and she just goes 'NO'

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Haha, holy crap, Corbyn must have had to start scraping the barrel to meet the 50:50 quota:

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn has chosen Lucy Powell as his new Shadow Education Secretary despite never meeting her.

Last month Lucy Powell, MP for Manchester Central, tweeted that she'd never met Mr Corbyn. And BBC Trending have confirmed they still haven't met - the pair spoke on the phone last night and are expected to meet later today.

Wasn't she the "mastermind" behind the Miliband campaign strategy? Hardly someone you'd want to run a department is it? How can you appoint a key ministerial post to someone you've never even met either? Bizarre.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The pricks across the aisle are a bunch of braying morons aren't they?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Heyo, blacklisting finally mentioned.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Who was that Irish woman? DUP?

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

I'm amazed by how well-prepared Eagle seems considering she just got this brief yesterday.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

ex-UUP

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Hey it's Patrick Bateman

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I think she's former UUP who left when they more or less merged with the Conservatives?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
well that's interesting: using the trade union bill to attack sinn fein

e: Sylvia Hermon is an ex-UUP Independent who left when they had that election pact with the Tories: she's always voted rather similarly with Labour for some reason although she's still a unionist - her point was valid until she got to the Sinn Fein part of that because Northern Ireland is very politically different to the rest of the UK because there never has been a mass party with significant union support like Labour.

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 14, 2015

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Hahaha, I like her sense of humour.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ex-UUP? So which party is she now? Indie?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also lol "Give way!" "No. *continues*"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Aye, correct

Who the gently caress is this mental Tory who thinks that Unite is run by Marxists? Alec Shelbrooke? Good god, how utterly unconnected to reality.

Christ, he's lecturing on the history of trade unionism now. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 14, 2015

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

Not watching but I'm assuming its Sylvia Hermon. She's indie now.

Left the UUP when they tried linking up with the Tories and votes with Labour more often than not.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006
She done good. I reckon.

e: (Eagle)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Who is this red-faced tosser and when do we get to give him the wedgie he's loving begging for?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Haha every thing he claims is then called out as bullshit and he just says "thank you for that I'm coming to that later" instead of admitting he's a lying shitheel.

Guillotine this gently caress.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

I like how he said he went to a comprehensive 'unlike your new leader over there' and his ice burn got completely ignored by his own party because he's an embarrassing pleb

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Where can I watch the trade union debate from the start?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

He's kinda like a slightly chubbier nick clegg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Is Shelbrooke really taking the poor free market :qq: line?

Also that anecdote about Union thugs sounds spotty as gently caress.

• Locked thread