Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I learned a long time ago that You Do Not Play Just A Quick Round Of Metal Gear. Granted, in the old days it was because you never knew if a two hour cutscene was maybe just around the corner, but the same principle applies.

First boss battle took me two hours last night that I'd planned to do something else with. 2/3 of that was a failed first attempt.

Isn't the first non-scripted boss battle the mist walking cyber-zombies? Because if so, all you gotta do is wait for them to group up and smack'em with the Honeybee. That's the entire purpose of giving it to you right before the fight. Two shots takes them all out and the GMP hit for using the ammo is negligible.

Actually, that fight is the first major instance that I recall where it becomes clear that whatever you do, don't listen to Miller. The guy's advice is useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was thinking of [Mission 11] Quiet, the first time you meet her in the ruins. The supply drop trick somehow never worked for me, she always got back on the move before it hit. But that fight you mentioned was a pain in the rear end too, mostly because I thought I had to escape but the exit was blocked, and then every time I retried they practically spawn camped me. Took me seven or eight tries just to get that weapon equipped.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Alaois posted:

whatever, John Landis

Esroc
May 31, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

I was thinking of [Mission 11] Quiet, the first time you meet her in the ruins. The supply drop trick somehow never worked for me, she always got back on the move before it hit. But that fight you mentioned was a pain in the rear end too, mostly because I thought I had to escape but the exit was blocked, and then every time I retried they practically spawn camped me. Took me seven or eight tries just to get that weapon equipped.

I got lucky with that fight. The person in question always went back to the exact same spot every time I shot them so I just camped out and waited, and it wasn't until I watched a youtube video later that I found out that they're supposed to move all around the map.

So there's a thing dragging games down; the AI scripting breaking.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Esroc posted:

I got lucky with that fight. The person in question always went back to the exact same spot every time I shot them so I just camped out and waited, and it wasn't until I watched a youtube video later that I found out that they're supposed to move all around the map.

So there's a thing dragging games down; the AI scripting breaking.

If you really want to break the sniper AI, just crouch/stand/crouch/stand until they waste their shot. You can then either headshot them, or call in a box of ammo onto their heads by keeping them shooting at where your head was.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Post poste posted:

If you really want to break the sniper AI, just crouch/stand/crouch/stand until they waste their shot. You can then either headshot them, or call in a box of ammo onto their heads by keeping them shooting at where your head was.

Did that and farmed for more rnd and med units to get a tranquil rifle. Baited her shot and fired back. I never had to move but I still had to account for bullet drop so thar was kinda cool.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Half the" bosses" in MGS V are encounters with some group of bullet sponge enemies. Of the remaining bosses, one is a lovely puzzle boss while the other two are actually good but two good bosses in a 50+ hour game is kind of trash.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Call of Duty games are generally a mess in regards to balance, add a Diablo style loot system to it and loving Christ, what the hell where these morons thinking.

A shame cause AW combat is pretty cool and frenetic but the way weapon drops work and the fact that certain variations are just so much better than the stock ones and it gets real dumb in terms of balance.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
They may be bullet sponges, but they sure as poo poo aint rocket sponges.

But yes the game does lack a degree of variety in bosses.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Super Mario Maker is an incredibly fun toolkit where you can build your own Mario levels using a number of items from the Mario Series, but the thing dragging it down is the Playerbase itself.

The overwhelming majority of user made stages are Kaizo Mario inspired nightmare stages where only the creator and the grognards who like this stupid poo poo can complete them, I at least try to make my own stages completable by anyone, children included, who are funnily enough, the target market for Mario games. :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's 100% what I expected would happen.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The thing dragging Mario Maker down is that I can't make poo poo using Mario 64, Sunshine tile sets. :colbert:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's 100% what I expected would happen.

Give a man Mario levels and he'll play them for a sitting; teach a man to make Mario levels and you'll have nothing but Bullet Bills, Lakitus, and flying fish covering your screen.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The players who were most looking forward to Mario Maker, preordered and messed with the system clock to unlock everything early, are probably largely the ones who have been doing level editing for years through romhacking and are therefore incredibly familiar with the tools and physics, but they're also so far into it that Kaizo is their baseline. It's the same reason why Rock Band Network had a steady influx of super fast and highly technical prog metal/metalcore.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
What I learned right away is that you should not play 100 Mario Challenge on Expert. Those levels are the ones people die on the most, which is either the Kaizo Mario poo poo or just the really badly made levels with a million fire bars and nothing else. My experience so far is that normal difficulty is far better overall.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
There are some really creative levels out there its just a shame they are being buried under Kaizo Mario poo poo, still, I am having fun tinkering around with my own creations.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Non-existent checkpoints in MGSV. I was doing all those Mother Base side-ops and collecting diamonds til I fell off from tiny pipe. Over a hour of progress vanished in a second.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

I fultoned what looked like a REALLY good soldier(two of her skills were question marks and one of the others was A+) during a base raid, and then my connection to steam died. I not only didn't get the recruit, but I also got penalized for failing the mission. That really ticks me off.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So basically Mario Maker is just Super Meat Boy with a lower rating?

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Playing Witcher: EE and while I'm more or less enjoying it there are a couple of things dragging it down for me. The combat system is already pretty clunky but occasionally sometimes just decides to not work at all. Right sword, right stance, no amount of clicking sets off an attack - very frustrating. There's also backtracking and zone variety that gives me a bit of a DA2 vibe.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Away all Goats posted:

My friend and I enjoyed Guacemelee until it basically stopped being a 2D beat em up and basically turned into a platformer/puzzle game towards the end of the game.

I'm not sure what you're expecting when the very first time you pick up a power up, there's a statue of a Metroid there to say "Hey look what kind of game we are" and then you literally break open a Chozo statue.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The more I play Mad Max, the saltier I get. It started as a 10/10 and has ground its way down to, like, a 8 or something (it's still a really good game but :argh: incoming anyway)

I complained earlier that the Harpoon was overpowered, since it can oneshot most enemies when you get it. Soon, enemy vehicles get armored... which is when you get the Thunderpoon, a lock-on rocket launcher that can two-shot armored vehicles, and when fully upgraded one-shots everything except one boss (so far). Vehicle combat is completely trivial now, which saddens me because it was pretty great until I unlocked the TP. Non-TP weapons are too weak (ram/grind/burners) to just ignore the TP completely, especially since it's point-click-dead enemy.

Ground combat is fantastic, though, even though I can open each brawl with 4-6 instantly dead enemies for cheap, at least it feels like I earned the ability to do that by virtue of punching the hell out of several hundred nerds to get there. Plus it's still ammo-limited, unlike the TP which can clear 14 vehicles off the road before you head to base and refill for free (3-5 consecutive battles).

There are a few things that feel like they're there to just waste time. Anything jimmy-bar related, or when balloons need fuel/winch shenanigans in particular. Minesweeping with the dog. Loot locations give 5-10 scrap per node, dead vehicles give 10-16, late-game upgrades cost 1800+. Cleared camps, however, give 740/time (hour?) without need for upkeep, completely paying for everything and making meticulous 100%ing feel unrewarding.

Now I'm close to 100%ing this game and I'm sure I'm gonna hate it at the end. Like, 7.5/10 bad :mad:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Thing about Mad Max for me is that it's just kinda boring.

You drive through a barren wasteland to collect scrap to build a better car to drive through more barren wasteland. The combat isn't that good and the story really just isn't that interesting.

I probably shouldn't be playing it as well as play MGSV but oh well

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

bewilderment posted:

I'm not sure what you're expecting when the very first time you pick up a power up, there's a statue of a Metroid there to say "Hey look what kind of game we are" and then you literally break open a Chozo statue.

The Metroid games were way less platformy than the latter areas of Guacamelee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12VETiPbyV0
And despite that video's title, that's not even the hardest platforming section

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Sep 14, 2015

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I could be wrong, but Mad Max seems to be following the Far Cry 3 curve of initial impressions being 'Explosions! Fires! Quadbikes! I saw a dude get eaten by a lion! Best game ever!' followed by everyone realising that it was a lot of fun but there wasn't that much to it and can be very repetitive. Initial impressions marked Mad Max down as a must-buy for me but now I'm thinking more along the lines of 'if it's on Steam sale and I'm bored'.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Evilreaver posted:

The more I play Mad Max, the saltier I get. It started as a 10/10 and has ground its way down to, like, a 8 or something (it's still a really good game but :argh: incoming anyway)

I complained earlier that the Harpoon was overpowered, since it can oneshot most enemies when you get it. Soon, enemy vehicles get armored... which is when you get the Thunderpoon, a lock-on rocket launcher that can two-shot armored vehicles, and when fully upgraded one-shots everything except one boss (so far). Vehicle combat is completely trivial now, which saddens me because it was pretty great until I unlocked the TP. Non-TP weapons are too weak (ram/grind/burners) to just ignore the TP completely, especially since it's point-click-dead enemy.

Ground combat is fantastic, though, even though I can open each brawl with 4-6 instantly dead enemies for cheap, at least it feels like I earned the ability to do that by virtue of punching the hell out of several hundred nerds to get there. Plus it's still ammo-limited, unlike the TP which can clear 14 vehicles off the road before you head to base and refill for free (3-5 consecutive battles).

There are a few things that feel like they're there to just waste time. Anything jimmy-bar related, or when balloons need fuel/winch shenanigans in particular. Minesweeping with the dog. Loot locations give 5-10 scrap per node, dead vehicles give 10-16, late-game upgrades cost 1800+. Cleared camps, however, give 740/time (hour?) without need for upkeep, completely paying for everything and making meticulous 100%ing feel unrewarding.

Now I'm close to 100%ing this game and I'm sure I'm gonna hate it at the end. Like, 7.5/10 bad :mad:

7.5/10 isn't bad by any non-retarded metric.

That being said, this game does still seem awesome and I'm totally gonna get it sometime after finishing Phantom Pain, but thanks for putting it in realistic terms.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Judge Tesla posted:

There are some really creative levels out there its just a shame they are being buried under Kaizo Mario poo poo, still, I am having fun tinkering around with my own creations.

Are there any good auto-running levels? I always want to see some of those crazy things like 'don't stop me now' made in Super Mario World or that one like 11 minute long anime song.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Pidmon posted:

Are there any good auto-running levels? I always want to see some of those crazy things like 'don't stop me now' made in Super Mario World or that one like 11 minute long anime song.

I read a review of the game that says it is really bad at letting you sort through levels. So it would be difficult to find something like that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Can you play as characters other than Mario? Hell, a good selling-point would be a character-creator in the Mario-style.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Can you play as characters other than Mario? Hell, a good selling-point would be a character-creator in the Mario-style.

There are a bunch of skins you can apply to the character (including Sonic) but they always just play like Mario.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Here's the Waluigi skin for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pX1YiT6UdA

Esroc
May 31, 2010

The Skulls in MGSV are the worst bosses. Usually Kojima is pretty good about making memorable boss battles, often with puzzles that need to be figured out to beat them. But the Skulls are just omniscient bullet sponges. They know where you are at all times and can take multiple rockets to the face without giving a gently caress.

The last straw was when I called in an air-strike on them and not only did they survive, but they immediately dog-piled me from across the map despite there being no goddamn way they could've known where I was, which means they're just programmed to hone in on you any time they take damage regardless of the source.

I'm disappointed in Kojima.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Esroc posted:

The Skulls in MGSV are the worst bosses. Usually Kojima is pretty good about making memorable boss battles, often with puzzles that need to be figured out to beat them. But the Skulls are just omniscient bullet sponges. They know where you are at all times and can take multiple rockets to the face without giving a gently caress.

The last straw was when I called in an air-strike on them and not only did they survive, but they immediately dog-piled me from across the map despite there being no goddamn way they could've known where I was, which means they're just programmed to hone in on you any time they take damage regardless of the source.

I dunno, literally every MGS game I've played, I thought the "bosses" were by far the worst part of the game.

They're also the most Kojima parts of each game and make me think he's not as responsible for how cool MGS is as much as everybody gives him credit.

MGS3's COBRA unit was probably the least lame of them all.
MGS4's B&B unit was awkward and dumb but at least the fights were easy?

I hate the skulls completely. Here I am enjoying this awesome sandbox tactical espionage open-world game and you've got loving comic book villains for me to fight which just soak bullets. Could we just not?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That complaint would hold more weight if every MGS game didn't have boss fights designed around comic book villains.

MGS1 and MGS3 are by far the best. The characters are memorable and the mechanics around their fights are varied, although some can be cheesed a lot.

MGS4's was ok, but suffers a bit too much from Kojima's pervert tendencies "oh I'm going to make you fight really cheesecake-y pinup girls in fetish outfits but then I'll give you a really tragic backstory to them via codec LOL I HAD MY CAKE AND ATE IT" seriously gently caress that noise dude just admit you're jerking off it's ok. The fights themselves were fun though.

MGS2's kind-of sucked. Vamp and Fatman had some interesting mechanics at play, but ultimately they were all weak and kind-of sucked.

Sorry to hear that the ones in MGS5 suck though. Not cool.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I wonder how many people complaining about the Skulls know you can melee them.

I mean they're still way overused, but melee counters and a machine gun with a big clip shut them right down.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Esroc posted:

Yeah, trying to actually kill them is an exercise in frustration. Even when I knew they were coming and had the opportunity to stack everything in my favour (putting down a minefield, equipping a rocket launcher and body armour, deploying Quiet in a good spot) it was still useless because sometimes their AI just decides to end you by teleporting behind you and riddling you with bullets.

At least in some instances they don't immediately go into combat-mode, allowing you to sneak past. They'll still shamble in your general direction, but they do it so slowly that you can still outdistance them even when crawling. That way you can lead them away from the objective, then circle back to fulfill it, and then run like hell.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
The Skulls aren't really 'bosses' so much as a different type of enemy. I think only once, early on, are you ever meant to actually fight them, and that's the mission that teaches you that you can kill them at all (albeit with immense difficulty). All their other encounters are intended as 'escape' missions; they spawn or are arrayed in a way that means you can't avoid alerting them (or that it's really loving hard), and your objective is always to just get the gently caress out of there. Get on a horse, get in a truck, find a way to stun them, whatever you have to do, and just run away. In that respect I actually quite like them, because they're a different challenge to what else the game throws at you. I'll grant that they still feel a bit bullshit in that regard sometimes, but I do kind of enjoy their encounters after I realized that it's basically a mad dash on the fastest thing you can get.

I will say that the two actual boss fights I've had in the game so far are a bit crap, though.

Quiet's just a pale imitation of The End. I'll grant that there aren't many other ways to do a good sniper fight, and her humming does add a unique element to it that the End didn't have, but ultimately it doesn't add up to much. A lot of the cool bits of the End came from the fact you could play off of his character traits as well as the fact he's a sniper; he has a parrot, so if you find and kill the parrot that helps. He's old as balls, so if you just wait him out he'll die of old age. Quiet doesn't really have any of that; she hums, sure, but that's it. It'd be neat if you could play off the fact she can't move when in water or some of the other stuff you learn about later, because she has no shortage of MGS Boss Weirdness (as I understand she's based on a cut MGS2 boss, so that makes sense) but you just can't.

And the Man on Fire is... I don't know. Far as I can tell, when you first properly fight him you've got one shot to hit him with the one thing you know he's weak to. If you gently caress that up, you're sort of just left with throwing things at him and hoping that maybe something will work. I know something does, but the feedback's not strong enough to tell what or how well. You don't actually have to kill him so much as just keep him busy enough that he doesn't down your chopper, so it could be far worse, but it's still kinda poo poo.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Leal posted:

That's the case :smith:

I don't see why they couldn't just put in a quicksave system where once you load it the save gets deleted to stop save scumming if that's a thing they're worried about. I got poo poo to do, I just wanted to make some progress during my free time :(

Go to your motherbase tab and open staff management. It'll quicksave. You won't load into exactly the spot you were in, but it'll save everyone you've extracted.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

The Skulls aren't really 'bosses' so much as a different type of enemy. I think only once, early on, are you ever meant to actually fight them, and that's the mission that teaches you that you can kill them at all (albeit with immense difficulty). All their other encounters are intended as 'escape' missions; they spawn or are arrayed in a way that means you can't avoid alerting them, and your objective is always to just get the gently caress out of there. Get on a horse, get in a truck, find a way to stun them, whatever you have to do, and just run away. In that respect I actually quite like them, because they're a different challenge to what else the game throws at you. I'll grant that they still feel a bit bullshit in that regard sometimes, but I do kind of enjoy their encounters after I realized that it's basically a mad dash on the fastest thing you can get.

I will say that the two actual boss fights I've had in the game so far are a bit crap, though.

Quiet's just a pale imitation of The End. I'll grant that there aren't many other ways to do a good sniper fight, and her humming does add a unique element to it that the End didn't have, but ultimately it doesn't add up to much. A lot of the cool bits of the End came from the fact you could play off of his character traits as well as the fact he's a sniper; he has a parrot, so if you find and kill the parrot that helps. He's old as balls, so if you just wait him out he'll die of old age. Quiet doesn't really have any of that; she hums, sure, but that's it. It'd be neat if you could play off the fact she can't move when in water or some of the other stuff you learn about later, because she has no shortage of MGS Boss Weirdness (as I understand she's based on a cut MGS2 boss, so that makes sense) but you just can't.

And the Man on Fire is... I don't know. Far as I can tell, when you first properly fight him you've got one shot to hit him with the one thing you know he's weak to. If you gently caress that up, you're sort of just left with throwing things at him and hoping that maybe something will work. I know something does, but the feedback's not strong enough to tell what or how well. You don't actually have to kill him so much as just keep him busy enough that he doesn't down your chopper, so it could be far worse, but it's still kinda poo poo.

About that second spoiler, there's a whole bunch of ways to stop the Man on Fire. Dousing him with the water towers is the most obvious, but you can also call in a shotgun (Kaz specifically gets on the radio and mentions this) to stagger him into the central reservoir or off the cliff. If you don't want to shoot him, ramming him with the jeeps will send him flying. Even the water fountains in the facility can gently caress him up. And on replays, calling in a Weather Control (Rain) will end him instantly.

Phantom Pain's bosses leave a lot to be desired, but between stuff like this and everyone talking about how difficult the Skulls are I'm starting to think that not many people are even trying alternate solutions beyond "shoot with thing, then shoot with bigger thing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

Phantom Pain's bosses leave a lot to be desired, but between stuff like this and everyone talking about how difficult the Skulls are I'm starting to think that not many people are even trying alternate solutions beyond "shoot with thing, then shoot with bigger thing."

it's a video game with guns, people are gonna default to the expected way of dealing with problems in that situation