Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

http://www.wafb.com/story/28761189/craigslist-killers-86-murders-linked-to-popular-classifieds-website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

EL BROMANCE posted:

I guess it's a different level of crazy over the pond. I've never had issues with people over here, but the worst I've ever dealt with here are dumbasses rather than crazies loaded to the teeth.

I rather play the paranoid guy. I'm very social but dealing with people over CL for years I've made that my policy.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is anyone here also poor and driving a 2011 Sentra with a proprietary iPod cable? I can apparently get the original cable (bought it used, didn't come with it) and use the adapter and my car with both charge the phone and let me switch to an "iPod mode" to let me play music as if I'm using an aux cable

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I used to have a 2012 Optima with that same iPod cable, I just used the 12v adapter to charge and bluetooth to play my music instead.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
My AT&T 2-year contract expires in November. My iPhone 5s has a bad Thunderbolt port and does not charge correctly. Apple will replace for $269. If I do that, will AT&T still let me unlock my phone in November?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe a stupid question, especially if a tech has already looked at your phone, but have you tried picking out any lint that might be clogged in there with a toothpick?

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

fleshweasel posted:

Maybe a stupid question, especially if a tech has already looked at your phone, but have you tried picking out any lint that might be clogged in there with a toothpick?

Yup, I brought it in to the Genius Bar. It's a damaged pin inside the port. Sucks, but I can get a 5s replacement for $269 until the 6s comes out. Then I give my dad the nearly-new 5s. I just want to make sure I can still unlock in November.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

IuniusBrutus posted:

I need to be able to get my email for work, so yeah, gotta be a smartphone. I found a 5S for $200 - I might just use that until the battery becomes completely unacceptable, and then go from there.

Just buy a Lumia 532 or something for $50 - it won't be comparable to the flagship experience you're used to but email on windows phones is excellent, and entry level windows phones are smooth and responsive and perfectly usable, unlike say low end android handsets.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I rather play the paranoid guy. I'm very social but dealing with people over CL for years I've made that my policy.

Nah that's not being paranoid, that's called prudence.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Chaucer posted:

My AT&T 2-year contract expires in November. My iPhone 5s has a bad Thunderbolt port and does not charge correctly. Apple will replace for $269. If I do that, will AT&T still let me unlock my phone in November?

Yes but paying $269 for that is a horrible price. Fixing it is only like $99 or something.

banana allergy
Jan 19, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Chaucer posted:

Yup, I brought it in to the Genius Bar. It's a damaged pin inside the port. Sucks, but I can get a 5s replacement for $269 until the 6s comes out. Then I give my dad the nearly-new 5s. I just want to make sure I can still unlock in November.

Yes you can.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

bronin posted:

You could always try to make a backup and factory reset I guess.

This is the way to go for mystery cache files. I managed to clear 5gb of storage by doing a factory reset.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So I just ordered a 6s+ and I'm looking around now for either a case with a "kickstand" or a dock/holder that will allow me to view in landscape mode, since I plan on doing some media watching (netflix and junk) while it's on a desk/table

Any recommendations?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

aBagorn posted:

So I just ordered a 6s+ and I'm looking around now for either a case with a "kickstand" or a dock/holder that will allow me to view in landscape mode, since I plan on doing some media watching (netflix and junk) while it's on a desk/table

Any recommendations?

I saw this Spigen one when I was searching for a case. You just missed a sale where these were like 4 dollars though.

http://www.amazon.com/iPhone-Spigen...n+iphone+6+plus

Not really my thing but maybe it's a start. Keep an eye out for more sales.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The binder clip stand has always been my favorite because you can make one at just about every office in the world.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

We just rotate phones in my family when a new comes out. I get the latest (because I'm the only one who cares, and then the others are passed down. Given that we don't tend to get rid of them, at least not in the next few years, I suppose the Apple thing doesn't make sense. I'm probably better off doing the Next thing. I'm just worried it will accidentally nuke my unlimited data.

This is from a couple pages back, but I didn't notice any other replies to it.

With Next you have to either pay off the phone or trade it in when you upgrade. So if you get the. If you get a new iPhone every year, you'll have to pay the current one on Next off if you want to keep it to rotate down through your family. The Apple one will be the same deal, but you get Apple Care with the device and definitely won't lose your unlimited data.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Maybe I'm the last to catch on, but I just noticed the phonetic similarity between "6s" and "success" :aaaaa:

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Is there a good app that allows for offline navigation? I'm finally ready to use my phone as a GPS over my old Tomtom.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Haggins posted:

Is there a good app that allows for offline navigation? I'm finally ready to use my phone as a GPS over my old Tomtom.

"Here" is the one you want

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Haggins posted:

For a free option, Nokia's HERE Maps allows downloading and works generally well. The interface leaves something to be desired and the text-to-speech isn't great, but the maps and routing are good.

In the US, Telenav's Scout is another free option (with a really great interface), but you do have to download an entire region at ~1.5GB. HERE breaks it down by state.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Haggins posted:

If you're willing to spent a little bit of money, I've had great experiences with Navigon. It allows you to download their maps for offline usage by state/province.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Minidust posted:

Maybe I'm the last to catch on, but I just noticed the phonetic similarity between "6s" and "success" :aaaaa:

This fact is currently blowing minds at my office, so either it isn't very obvious or we're all oblivious idiots.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Hey guys, what smartphone should I buy if I want to be successful?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

Blackberry Bold

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Michael Scott posted:

Google told me this is what a successful person looks like, so whatever phone that is ... it's what you need.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Google told me this is what a successful person looks like, so whatever phone that is ... it's what you need.

Notice the lack of camera, the successful man shouldn't waste time taking picture of food and/or his genitals.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Molten Llama posted:

For a free option, Nokia's HERE Maps allows downloading and works generally well. The interface leaves something to be desired and the text-to-speech isn't great, but the maps and routing are good.

In the US, Telenav's Scout is another free option (with a really great interface), but you do have to download an entire region at ~1.5GB. HERE breaks it down by state.

Sounds good. I just basically need something for remote areas, national parks, and Canada when I don't have any cell services. Otherwise I'll just use Maps/Gmaps

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

flipoff posted:

Notice the lack of camera, the successful man shouldn't waste time taking picture of food and/or his genitals.

He has people for that

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Haggins posted:

Google Maps (free) lets you download user-definable regions for offline use.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

Yes but paying $269 for that is a horrible price. Fixing it is only like $99 or something.

Thanks for the suggestion. I thought I'd get a new device to pass to my Dad, but I got a fix quote for $50 and I think I'll try that instead.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Google Maps (free) lets you download user-definable regions for offline use.

Not for navigation though. The route calculation happens on Google's server so you have to have an internet connection when you start navigating. If you lose the connection after that then it will keep giving directions for your current route.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
Neo Grab is hands down the best holder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-Ks5hMpIzg

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

noirstronaut posted:

Is anyone here also poor and driving a 2011 Sentra with a proprietary iPod cable? I can apparently get the original cable (bought it used, didn't come with it) and use the adapter and my car with both charge the phone and let me switch to an "iPod mode" to let me play music as if I'm using an aux cable

If it works, usually the sound is better than aux (or at least you can turn the volume up more).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I'm kinda hoping a local used car dealership will have the cable or let me buy one from them for not 1million dollars.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
You might get lucky on ebay but probably not )=

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

I'm kinda hoping a local used car dealership will have the cable or let me buy one from them for not 1million dollars.

Also check your local pull-a-part. You can sometimes find gems in those cars.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Navmii maps have always been my favourite. Have only used them in the UK, France & Germany so can't report on the US accuracy, but here is's very good.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/developer/navmii-publishing-ltd/id345881276

It's OSM data, but then so are most free apps when you follow the trail long enough.

e:

Unrelated but avoiding a double post:

If I have an iPhone that was backed up in iTunes using encryption, is there any way I can over-write that backup with a new, non-encrypted backup? My mom swears she never set it, but obviously she has. There's no chance of remembering the password at this point, I don't think.
We tried backing the phone up to iCloud, which succeeded. We then reset the phone and let it restore from iCloud. This succeeded.
We deleted all the backups on the iTunes machine, and plugged in the iPhone.
It seems to recognise the phone (after asking to trust, etc) - but even with all the local backups deleted, it still wants to create another encrypted backup, and asks for the old password to remove it.

Is there any way of removing that "flag" and creating a new iTunes backup with the same phone data?

Khablam fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 15, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

edit: nm

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone having trouble with iMessages the last few days? I don't have particularly weak internet and I've been in my usual places to text. Wifi and Verizon data both still seem solid but messages have been arriving 5-10 minutes late during these periods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Khablam posted:

Is there any way of removing that "flag" and creating a new iTunes backup with the same phone data?

Nope. Encryption status gets passed back to the device, so your only options are to either remember the password (if she's on a Mac, check the keychain if you haven't already—sometimes there's an entry there that iTunes just lost track of) or wipe it and start over.

It sucks in this situation, but it's an intentional design decision to protect your data. Ideally iTunes would be a little more alarming about the consequences when you enable encrypted backups.