Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Poder político cresce do cano de um meme

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

i wonder if future military dictatorships will imprison people for using memes.

Anyways, it turns out that multiple departments in the Puerto Rican government are now under investigation for sketchy use of federal funds. Dunno if this belongs better in the USPOL thread but I've been posting here so I'll just stay the course. Among the institutions under investigation: the Department of Justice, the Institute of Forensic Science, some districts of the University of Puerto Rico, and the police. I can't say I'm too happy about the Department of Justice's fund being frozen for the moment, because a lot of the programs affected have to do with minimizing crime (ie: cracking down on weapons trade, helping those in legal need, etc.). OTOH, the police in PR, like everywhere else, are corrupt as hell so hopefully we'll see some crooked cop heads roll.*

*I'm not keeping my hopes up, though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

They'll at least censor the internet over them.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Cuba imprisons ten for distributing images of known Yanquee imperialist stooge and counter-revolutionary icon "Pepe la rana".

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

OTOH, the police in PR, like everywhere else, are corrupt as hell so hopefully we'll see some crooked cop heads roll.*

You need a Puerto Rican Serpico.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Anyways, it turns out that multiple departments in the Puerto Rican government are now under investigation for sketchy use of federal funds. Dunno if this belongs better in the USPOL thread but I've been posting here so I'll just stay the course. Among the institutions under investigation: the Department of Justice, the Institute of Forensic Science, some districts of the University of Puerto Rico, and the police. I can't say I'm too happy about the Department of Justice's fund being frozen for the moment, because a lot of the programs affected have to do with minimizing crime (ie: cracking down on weapons trade, helping those in legal need, etc.). OTOH, the police in PR, like everywhere else, are corrupt as hell so hopefully we'll see some crooked cop heads roll.*

Aecio Neves did sue twitter to get the names of users who were spreading memes that alluded to his reputation as a heavy cocaine user.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

At last, I know how to vote for now.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Goku al gobierno, Peron al poder

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Looks like poo poo hit the fan in Tucuman.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Yeah it did. And as usual, the government kept their mouths shut about it.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Brazilian media is so lovely. Yousef''s deposition was the main headline earlier this week on UOL/Folha's webpage when he claimed that Dilma knew of the Petrobras corruption. Then he said Aecio got kickbacks as well, so UOL immediately changed the headline and put the story further down their page. And the the story they had up mentioned Aecio by name in the title, but within a few hours the story's headline changed from naming him specifically to a generic "tucanos" (nickname for PSDB). Likewise, people noticed that somehow one of Globo's political programs forgot to mention that Aecio was cited by name as being involved in the corruption scandal. Someone twitted at one of Globo's main political journalists how ridiculous it was. The response?

https://twitter.com/ECantanhede/status/636372089340084228

It was too much information at the same time, and so she didn't have time to mention Aecio, you see. Because when the main leader of the opposition who has been working to impeach Dilma for a while gets involved in the same investigation, that is just some detail that is easy to forget.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I worked at a big brazilian financial newspaper in its death throes for 5 years, and the common knowledge among the owners/moneyed bigshots was that aecio was a big-time cokehead, an opportunistic empty vessel (think Scott Walker minus the charm), and that his sister and some other guy whose name I forget called all the real shots in the backstage.

Not sure how much of it is true, as I only spoke with him once back in the 2006 campaign, and he just seemed bland and slippery in the usual political way.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Sephyr posted:

I worked at a big brazilian financial newspaper in its death throes for 5 years, and the common knowledge among the owners/moneyed bigshots was that aecio was a big-time cokehead, an opportunistic empty vessel (think Scott Walker minus the charm), and that his sister and some other guy whose name I forget called all the real shots in the backstage.

Not sure how much of it is true, as I only spoke with him once back in the 2006 campaign, and he just seemed bland and slippery in the usual political way.

:dogbutton:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Sephyr posted:

Anastasia is the name you are looking for. Some of my closest friends in Brazil worked in the higher levels of the public relations branch of the Minas Gerais state government. The amount of dirt that Aecio was able to hide is amazing. My favorite was the first hand account of a meeting between a high level editor of a Minas Gerais paper and the public safety secretary, where they discussed putting a "guarita" (kind of an outpost) of the military police in front of the editor's house in exchange for favorable coverage on crime.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Who was the brazilian politician whose helicopter got caught transporting a shitload of cocaine and then newspapers reported it as "wow, can you believe this random helicopter pilot moonlighted as a drug kingpin. amazing"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

SexyBlindfold posted:

Who was the brazilian politician whose helicopter got caught transporting a shitload of cocaine and then newspapers reported it as "wow, can you believe this random helicopter pilot moonlighted as a drug kingpin. amazing"

Zezé Perrela, who has ties with Aécio. Speaking of the latter, the media also reported jack poo poo when they discovered that he built a private airfield at a family member's farm with public money.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Zeze Perrela might be one of the most extraordinary cases of corruption ever seen. He started relatively poor, until he was able to buy a meat packing business. It was a small business named Perrela (Perrela is not Zeze''s real name, he just took it up after he bought the business). With the success of his business, he ran and became president of a soccer club, Cruzeiro. Suddenly, he became a millionaire. A journalist for the estado de minas newspaper found out that he was making money as an intermediary on player sales to Europe. The day after the story came out the journalist was fired. Perrela got involved in politics and then recently became a senator. And he became a senator through the shadiest way possible. In Brazil when we elect senators the party picks their replacement in case they leave office. Perrela somehow got to be the replacement for Itamar Franco, former president who ran for senator at 80+ years of age and with cancer. He obviously died a few months after taking office, so Perrela will be senator for nearly 8 years without getting a single vote. Soon before the election it came out that he had underreported his assets in the election campaign. Turns out he had a farm worth 60+ million he didnt declare, and when approached by the media he said that the farm was actually worth far more than 60. Then his helicopter company was busted carrying coke. Nothing happened and no major Minas Gerais newspapers reported on either. He is very close to Aecio, and Aecio is rumored to have orchestrated the firing of that first journalist.

But at least it led to some of the greatest bits of political satire ever. If you know Portuguese, you will understand this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YMOKVIgkgk

Aecio gets youtube to take this down every once in a while.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 29, 2015

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
excuse me, but zezé perrela's party is PDT, a leftish labour party, so obvioulsy all that coke found in his chopper was actually given to PT by the FARC to finance the dilma reelection bid.

give me a job in Veja, an autographed book by olavo de carvalho and a few hours and i can find a way to insert fidel castro, bolivarianism and the foro of são paulo in that story.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
PDT (much like PPS) is the party that corrupt politicians fled too during the period PSDB was really unpopular. I know you are joking, but to clarify for other people, in Minas PDT has always supported Aecio.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW
I interrupt Brazilchat for a quick PR update: hurricanes/tropical storms have started showing up, and because ofthe drought everyone's praying they'll come our way--this is the first time I remember this happening. So far, Tropical Storm (formerly hurricane) Danny gave us fuckall, while TS Erika actually came through for us--one of the two main reservoirs (the Carraízo) has been filled enough that rations tied to that reservoir are being eased; previously, the standard across the island had been one day with water and two days without. Now, those dependent on the Carraízo reservoir are getting water every other day. Unfortunately, the farms and plantations on the south side of the island got their poo poo wrecked pretty bad.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Surprised that no one has brought up whats going on in Guatemala right now.

Yesterday the congress stripped president Molina of his immunity.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/01/americas/guatemala-president-immunity-stripped/

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

After they overturned Rios Montt's conviction for no reason I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

They took a vote on getting a similar UN investigation commission set-up in El Salvador and the politicos took one look at what was happening in Guatemala with that and went "Nope no thanks! Don't need that here!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

People at NYT/WSJ/etc. are loving the poo poo out of Brazil's recession.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/11/world/americas/brazils-economic-crisis-intensifies-raising-pressure-on-president.html?ref=americas&_r=0

quote:

BRASÍLIA — The president of Brazil should have been ecstatic. She had just won re-election after an intense campaign in which she fiercely defended her role in making Brazil, for a few fleeting years, a rising star on the global stage.

But in the days after her victory last October, President Dilma Rousseff was worried, confronted in private deliberations with her closest advisers by signs that Brazil’s triumphs were at risk of coming undone.

“We went too far,” Aloízio Mercadante, Ms. Rousseff’s chief of staff, acknowledged publicly this month, describing the sense of alarm as the dust settled after the election and Ms. Rousseff and her aides grappled with the weaknesses in Brazil’s economy.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
At this point it seems highly likely that Dilma will be impeached. PSDB is even debating which, if any, ministerial positions they'd like.

The best part is the argument used for the impeachment. No, it is not the petrobras scandal. After all, that affects PSDB and PMDB as much (or, in the case of PMDB, more) as anybody. It is the so called "pedaladas fiscais." These are fiscal maneuvers to make national accounts look better than they are: the government delays spending on a budget item for a few weeks until the reporting period is over. It is something that literally every government since the 90s has done. But the house of representatives decided to go ahead and preemptively approve the government accounts from FHC to Lula, but not Dilma. So they will argue that she violated the law because of that.

In the mean time, PSDB is already trying its best to make sure Lula's popularity starts to tank ahead of 2018. Globo's magazine, Epoca, had a story about how Lula was lobbying in favor of certain Brazilian companies abroad in order to get them sweetheart deals, and as proof has a series of photographs. The problem is that the photographs were taken in 2012, the deals were finalized in 2011, and Lula left the presidency in 2010.

If the situation wasn't absurd enough, there is the Pixuleco. It is a giant balloon in the shape of Lula using a prison outfit. Someone takes it around the country to wherever an event will be broadcast so that it will be on the frame on TV. Then, someone from PT got mad and tore it down. It would have been a slam dunk arrest, but the owners of Pixuleco refused to go to the police over it, since then they'd have to show proof of how much it cost (so as to determine the damage), which would also mean showing who paid for it.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

How does impeachment in Brazil work?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

joepinetree posted:

At this point it seems highly likely that Dilma will be impeached. PSDB is even debating which, if any, ministerial positions they'd like.

The best part is the argument used for the impeachment. No, it is not the petrobras scandal. After all, that affects PSDB and PMDB as much (or, in the case of PMDB, more) as anybody. It is the so called "pedaladas fiscais." These are fiscal maneuvers to make national accounts look better than they are: the government delays spending on a budget item for a few weeks until the reporting period is over. It is something that literally every government since the 90s has done. But the house of representatives decided to go ahead and preemptively approve the government accounts from FHC to Lula, but not Dilma. So they will argue that she violated the law because of that.

In the mean time, PSDB is already trying its best to make sure Lula's popularity starts to tank ahead of 2018. Globo's magazine, Epoca, had a story about how Lula was lobbying in favor of certain Brazilian companies abroad in order to get them sweetheart deals, and as proof has a series of photographs. The problem is that the photographs were taken in 2012, the deals were finalized in 2011, and Lula left the presidency in 2010.

If the situation wasn't absurd enough, there is the Pixuleco. It is a giant balloon in the shape of Lula using a prison outfit. Someone takes it around the country to wherever an event will be broadcast so that it will be on the frame on TV. Then, someone from PT got mad and tore it down. It would have been a slam dunk arrest, but the owners of Pixuleco refused to go to the police over it, since then they'd have to show proof of how much it cost (so as to determine the damage), which would also mean showing who paid for it.

Isn't this something that literally every world leader does though?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

I dunno, just looks like accurate reporting to me, half the article is the party saying they hosed up- hard to spin it any other way. If there's anything the far left and right can agree upon, it's that 'this time is different', and it never is.

quote:

The scandal, in which contractors paid an estimated $3 billion in bribes to officials, could wipe out the equivalent of 2.5 percent from Brazil’s gross domestic product in 2015, according to GO Associados, a consulting firm in São Paulo that measured job losses at contractors and the scaling back of aggressive expansion plans at Petrobras.

Jesus.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Lawman 0 posted:

How does impeachment in Brazil work?

first of all, the president needs to commit either a regular crime or a "responsability crime", which means some specific presidential acts that goes against the constitution. Any citizen can present an impeachment complaint to congress.

then the congress checks if the complaint fulfills some minimum requirements. If the complaint is considered valid, a special comission is formed to analyse the complaint. the president can formally present her defense in this step.

after that the comission releases a final report, that goes to vote on the lower chamber of congress. it needs a 2/3 majority to keep going. If it passes and the crime is a regular crime, the case goes to the supreme court, if it's a responsability crime, it goes to the senate. either way, the president is "suspended" for 6 months, or until the conclusion of the trial.

If it goes to the senate, there is a court-like trial, complete with prosecution, defense, witnesses, final statements and stuff, and then a new vote, with again requires a 2/3 majority to pass. if it fails, the president returns to office, if it passes, the president is impeached and the vice-president takes the mantle, unless he was also impeached in the same process. in this case, the president of the lower chamber assumes temporarially, and either theres a new presidential election (if the impeachment happens in the first 2 years of the mandate) or the congress chooses a new president.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-34275783

Well, at least it happened before September 18.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

"If you're black an poor you get busted before you get to the beach because you came from the hood"
"If you're white and middle class you can commit crimes while the police is looking"

The story of these pictures is a ongoing development in Rio, where poor kids were detained and searched without any reason at the entrance of the beach, police justify it as anti-arrastão tactics (arrastão being roving bands of thieving kids attacking the beach en masse, a common phenomenon in the "rich beaches"). Justice bans the practice, and ten days later a anti-arrastão action is organized by young beach residents, who go on and start breaking the overcrowded buses windows where the kids were presumably going home.

Here's a newsclip of it, even if you can't read portuguese the pictures speak for themselves

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
So these assholes are breaking buses with working people going back home as well. Of all the reasons to break buses, they chose the worst one.

In goiania, people are setting fire to buses because the private companies that run them are poo poo, underpay and understaff workers, use old buses, keep raising the fares without any noticeable improvements and now decided they don't have to serve the outer regions of the city, basically making people unable to get to their jobs.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I was horrified at the bus fare on the southern states for being a lot more expensive than the ones here. Here in Fortaleza the price is 2,40 (after various hikes on the last few years) and its still cheaper than Sao Paulo was in 2010 (and the bus was even shittier than ours).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Azran posted:

Saint Seiya and DBZ are incredibly popular in SA. DBZ is no surprise, but SS never quite hit such a following outside of Japan, except for South America.

Saint Seiya was also massively popular in France, that's where the "Zodiac Knights" name come from.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

bagual posted:

"If you're black an poor you get busted before you get to the beach because you came from the hood"
"If you're white and middle class you can commit crimes while the police is looking"

The story of these pictures is a ongoing development in Rio, where poor kids were detained and searched without any reason at the entrance of the beach, police justify it as anti-arrastão tactics (arrastão being roving bands of thieving kids attacking the beach en masse, a common phenomenon in the "rich beaches"). Justice bans the practice, and ten days later a anti-arrastão action is organized by young beach residents, who go on and start breaking the overcrowded buses windows where the kids were presumably going home.

Here's a newsclip of it, even if you can't read portuguese the pictures speak for themselves

While it is probably a bit overrated at this point given how much praise it has received, I think that "the Second Mother" (Que horas ela volta?) contains a pretty good depiction of the sort of class divisions that so many people in Brazil take for granted.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Is that movie any good? Its just that I can't see Regina Casé as a serious actress at this point.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It is a little too neat, but Casé is pretty good, and given how uncomfortable it made certain acquaintances in Brazil, i think it is pretty good at portraying an obvious reality that a lot of Brazilians like to ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I always thought that Regina Casé made a career out of looking "poor, like one of us" while being rich as gently caress. Her current show is a pretty good example of that. Still haven't seen the movie, but let's see if it will change my opinion.