Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31dsolM10ng

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The bridges between struts on Mother Base all feel needlessly long.
I bet it actually has something to do with loading but even though Mother Base is barren as hell really, I think it would feel less so if it were actually tightly packed.

e: like PW's mother base.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I'm also not really sure what kind of narrative purpose the "big twist" serves other than to BE a twist - it doesn't really do anything to recontextualize the rest of the game in any way, the way a good twist ending does, it's just like "oh, huh, that's weird".

The big twist falls completely flat given how the game constantly bombards you with not so subtle hints that you're not the real Big Boss from the moment you take control of Snake. It serves zero narrative purpose, it's just the game's way of rewarding you for putting an ungodly amount of hours into it. You're Big Boss too, now go ahead and build your legend!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

jerkstoresup posted:

Chico is probably the most tragic, unceremonious death in the entire series. Almost every important character who dies is at the hands of another important character, and makes some grand gesture before they die.

No way is he the most unceremonious death. At least he died on-screen.

I bet Kojima really regrets killing Kaz off-screen before MGS1 now.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
It serves as big boss turning against his own ideals in using soliders as tools thus completing his journey into the hypocrite he was in metal gear 2.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I wonder if the post credits conversation between Miller and Ocelot implies that it was the latter that killed the former before MGS1, rather than Liquid, although on Liquid's orders.

Also, I like to imagine that Ocelot was watching the second fight with Eli on Mother Base, and when he was tossing molotovs at Snake, Ocelot was thinking, "Nice throw, kid's got a good arm on him."

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
So I've finally just finished Truth and listed to the remaining tapes.

As I crack into this huge thread, I beg one question that no doubt has been asked -- Solidus, uh, completely forgotten?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dr Snofeld posted:

I wonder if the post credits conversation between Miller and Ocelot implies that it was the latter that killed the former before MGS1, rather than Liquid, although on Liquid's orders.

I like to think that it was Liquid that killed Miller, but Ocelot pushed him into doing so. Just so that in the end they both end up getting killed by the Snake the other trained.

You know, I ended up liking how the final scene seemed to be setting up Kaz as something of Ocelot's opposite number. I thought it was pretty neat. In general though I think Kaz is one of the better characters from this game though that might just be because since he basically doesn't exist outside of Peace Walker and Phantom Pain he got to have more of a complete arc.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

In It For The Tank posted:

What is the theme of The Phantom Pain? Is it Revenge? Race? Phantom Pain? All of the above?

"Nothing is as it appears". The protagonist isn't Big Boss. Huey isn't a nice guy, but a "nice guy". Skull Face isn't the main antagonist. Zero isn't the evil Mastermind bent on your destruction. Paz isn't alive. What you do isn't a good thing.

Only DDog doesn't fit. He's the best at first glance, he's the best throughout the game.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
There's still more to the game, we haven't found everything. There's some way to get that nuke disarmament scene, and when someone asked the community manager about it this was his response:

So I definitely wouldn't stop looking for anything just yet, nor would I judge the game based on what's immediately available for people to play through. Kojima wanted the PT riddles to last for weeks and was upset when they got solved quickly. There's probably some really obtuse things in the game that we haven't found out how to access yet, and we already know at least one of them is an 8 minute long cinema.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
guy in the steam thread:

Blattdorf posted:

I'm still saying the actual MGS5 is not out yet. But this is getting boring, so I'm gonna toxx myself here.

:toxx:

If by the end of December 2015 there is no official confirmation or anything that will prove beyond a shadow of doubt that there will be more chapters to MGSV or MGS5 (or at least some kind of additional epilogue or Mission 51), I will buy a 15-20 dollar/euro game for each of the next five people who reply to this toxx and say they agree to it. The game will be of their choosing, or even multiple games, as long as the total value is within the specified amount.

If less than five people agree to it, the participants will simply get a higher-valued game out of it. I'll divide 100 by 4 and so on.

However, if I'm right, then those five people will each buy me a 15-20 dollar/euro game or multiple games of a total value not exceeding the specified amount. Or, if there are fewer participants, then of a higher value. This will be specified if need be once the deadline for this toxx is reached.

I'd say we'll find out this month on the 21st (or even get a new chapter), but there's no guarantee they won't extend the ARG.

I accept entries for this toxx until Friday.

EDIT: It must be the continuation of the story. No silly plotless mission packs.

:allears:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Huh, so TPP just started downloading a 400MB update. Wonder what that's about.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Huh, so TPP just started downloading a 400MB update. Wonder what that's about.

FOB stuff and stability improvements, going by the patch notes.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Did they fix the Quiet and blueprint bugs?

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Aurain posted:

I bet it actually has something to do with loading but even though Mother Base is barren as hell really, I think it would feel less so if it were actually tightly packed.

The game never says this, but my take on it was that maybe it was more spread out so that it would be harder to destroy if attacked again.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Snake, increasing the distance between struts makes us less vulnerable to attack and masks loading times.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

MrSmokes posted:

The game never says this, but my take on it was that maybe it was more spread out so that it would be harder to destroy if attacked again.

This was what I assumed the case was. It makes the base less vulnerable as a whole by keeping sections separate by a good distance.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Aurain posted:

e: like PW's mother base.

You know, that reminds me. Where the gently caress is Mother Base's runway these days. Get your poo poo together, Kaz

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Also, I was real salty when I first managed to sneak up to a gunship when it was hovering at ground height and discovered I couldn't Fulton it

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Also, I was real salty when I first managed to sneak up to a gunship when it was hovering at ground height and discovered I couldn't Fulton it

Same, but on the 'extract Huey' side op. Maybe you can NL the pilot?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

a cop posted:

The "twist" is hinted at over and over from the very first seconds of the game onward. Character creation, the AI in Huey's lab, Huey, Skullface calling you "Boss", lots of other lines of dialogue ("the troops won't know what big boss looks like so you have to prove it to them), etc. You're supposed to at least greatly suspect it before it's "revealed". I guess it sucks that you didn't get to figure it out on your own but it's not like a huge pivotal spoiler or anything.

True. But I've been taking my time with this game and I'd only just got past the Honeybee mission at that point, and so the AI in Huey's lab didn't really register as anything more than a crazy AI from Peace Walker that Huey immediately dismissed, and Skullface talking to me while I was held upside down during a very tense and unexpected encounter didn't strike me as a clue - and so now, when I go back and think about the beginning, I remember thinking "Ishmael sounds like Kiefer Sutherland, wtf."

But at least now I'm not salty about Snake not being able to speak Russian, as I thought that it was just really lovely to try to explain it away by a coma and shrapnel.

Actually where I am at this point I would at the very least find things to be a bit fishy, and by the end I would be very satisfied with this particular plot point. And I'm staying away from the wiki from now on, because spoilers abound in the most unexpected places. I'll go back there when the game is beaten, and that's quite a long way away. I'm at mission...18? I don't know; the one that is right after you rescue the two intel agents and Traitor's Convoy (1 EMP mine + stealth camouflage makes that mission a joke...but I haven't tried to CQC or Fulton any Skulls yet. I have a suspicion that won't work).

And I always hated Huey anyway. Even moreso than Otacon. How they can keep his annoying voice actor for the English version and NOT keep David Hayter is criminal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGOb1TcO-8o

KaiserSchnitzel fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 14, 2015

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Hearing the steam patch is causing problems like framerate issues and ui bugs so might want to hold off until more info is out.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Getting rid of hayter is the best thing, dude had lost it in peace walker. There were a few lines in gz that sounded like it was made for hayter to say though "a piece of american pie on communist soil" but keifer owns it in pp

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Huey in TPP is the like the perfect role for Christopher Randolph to play. He may not be the best actor around, but that was the like some perfect merging of an actor and a part- he just sells the assholish, delusional nerd so wonderfully.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vikar Jerome posted:

Getting rid of hayter is the best thing, dude had lost it in peace walker. There were a few lines in gz that sounded like it was made for hayter to say though "a piece of american pie on communist soil" but keifer owns it in pp

Honestly I don't think it would have mattered much either way. Snake has so few lines that I found it hard to care about the actor change.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Full Battle Rattle posted:

There's still more to the game, we haven't found everything. There's some way to get that nuke disarmament scene, and when someone asked the community manager about it this was his response:

So I definitely wouldn't stop looking for anything just yet, nor would I judge the game based on what's immediately available for people to play through. Kojima wanted the PT riddles to last for weeks and was upset when they got solved quickly. There's probably some really obtuse things in the game that we haven't found out how to access yet, and we already know at least one of them is an 8 minute long cinema.

Konami took down the youtube video of that nuke disarmament scene. So clearly nobody was supposed to see it, either yet or ever.

Vikar Jerome posted:

I blame the voice direction in Peace Walker more than Hayter himself. He can still do the Snake voice just fine but in Peace Walker it sounds like he was told to act like Old Snake again.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Konami took down the youtube video of that nuke disarmament scene. So clearly nobody was supposed to see it, either yet or ever.

I blame the voice direction in Peace Walker more than Hayter himself. He can still do the Snake voice just fine but in Peace Walker it sounds like he was told to act like Old Snake again.

Putting it in the context of that tweet makes it seem more like 'yet'. That's the community manager for MGS and he clearly implies it can be found 'naturally'.

This is really pretty obviously not over. I don't think all of the insanity is true, but someone official has stated on record that we haven't reached all the content yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Putting it in the context of that tweet makes it seem more like 'yet'. That's the community manager for MGS and he clearly implies it can be found 'naturally'.

This is really pretty obviously not over. I don't think all of the insanity is true, but someone official has stated on record that we haven't reached all the content yet.

If, and I mean if it isn't over, it most likely isn't what you think.

There is an in-game Nuke mechanic where you can build your own nukes or disarm others. The video they showed includes player user names in the credits. It is almost certainly a 'bonus' outcome if a lot of nuke disarmament happen. It may even just be a reward for if you personally do a lot of nuke-disarming.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Same, but on the 'extract Huey' side op. Maybe you can NL the pilot?
Strangely, all manned vehicles do have human drivers, who will fall out if they're knocked unconscious. However, the only way to do this appears to be to use cheats that KO all enemies on the map, because nothing I've been able to do has gotten the driver to leave. This does include helicopters, but only when they're in an idle "landed" state. If they're actually in flight they act like they're unmanned and act normally.

Allegedly someone managed to extract a helicopter using D-Walker's Fulton Ballista, but it didn't do anything and the helicopter wasn't registered as captured or anything. Other people have tried it and failed so it could just be B.S., the best way to test it is to try it in Mission 21 where the chopper lands on the airport roof for a while.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

If, and I mean if it isn't over, it most likely isn't what you think.

There is an in-game Nuke mechanic where you can build your own nukes or disarm others. The video they showed includes player user names in the credits. It is almost certainly a 'bonus' outcome if a lot of nuke disarmament happen. It may even just be a reward for if you personally do a lot of nuke-disarming.

I have already beaten the game, I am well aware of the mechanics. The tweet says if 'someone got this scene naturally', which implies it isn't a global event, but something the player does locally.

EDIT: I don't think the game ever tasks you with disarming nukes, it's just something you can do. It would be really weird if people just accidentally disarmed every nuclear weapon and out of nowhere Kaz is like 'we finally did it'

Full Battle Rattle fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 14, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Kaz: "We've done it Snake. We've disarmed all of the secret nukes. Now we can finally kill the 17th Colossus."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I don't even remember if I got a scrolling text message for disarming my nuke.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

CJacobs posted:

People actually thinking that's intentional does hurt me, yes

Kojima is quoted in a strategy guide saying theres no real boss fight with Skull Face to give the player a feeling of something missing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The tweet says if 'someone got this scene naturally', which implies it isn't a global event, but something the player does locally.

It doesn't and the credits in this case are the only one to show (at least what appears to be) online user names. It being connected to FOB, which are the only things where nukes show up at all, is a lot more sensible.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Arach posted:

So I've finally just finished Truth and listed to the remaining tapes.

As I crack into this huge thread, I beg one question that no doubt has been asked -- Solidus, uh, completely forgotten?

Sort of, they mention the first two clones being raised naturally but I don't remember any direct references. It sort of makes sense because Solidus is supposed to be hidden at that time afaik.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

I have already beaten the game, I am well aware of the mechanics. The tweet says if 'someone got this scene naturally', which implies it isn't a global event, but something the player does locally.

EDIT: I don't think the game ever tasks you with disarming nukes, it's just something you can do. It would be really weird if people just accidentally disarmed every nuclear weapon and out of nowhere Kaz is like 'we finally did it'

When Kaz introduces nukes, he says you can either create your own nuke to deter attackers or become a hero and disarm other peoples nukes.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Solidus is generally forgotten about for certain, but he wasn't part of the same batch as David and Eli so it makes enough sense that people who know about David and Eli wouldn't know about Solidus (I guess he's George?)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Im no fob expert but a bunch of laser gates is a good enough deterrent for my rear end. At least while there are still rubes out there plunking good soldiers down into naked bases.
Is there a decent all in one guide for fob or an online manual for this game?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
So is there a point to Quiet's behavior or is she just a weirdo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

So is there a point to Quiet's behavior or is she just a weirdo?

She is infected with a parasite and like the other parasites it can control her behavior. In this case it makes her seek out water and rub it all over herself because hideo kojima is a pervert she needs to remain hydrated.

• Locked thread