Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Kojima is quoted in a strategy guide saying theres no real boss fight with Skull Face to give the player a feeling of something missing.

Yeah and that's obviously intentional. What is obviously unintentional is the story not having an ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I think the biggest hint that you are not playing the real Big Boss is how he suddenly stopped using his favorite cigars to using the e-cig variant.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Spikeguy posted:

So is there a point to Quiet's behavior or is she just a weirdo?

She wants to see how Big the Big in Big Boss is.
She wants to Peace his Walker.
She wants the see the Gun of the Patriot.
She wants to be the Snake Eater.
She wants to show the Twins to Snake.

I don't think there's a good sex euphemism joke for Sons of Liberty, but she wants to bang him.

Rirse posted:

I think the biggest hint that you are not playing the real Big Boss is how he suddenly stopped using his favorite cigars to using the e-cig variant.

There's a line about why Big Boss doesn't smoke E-Cigs in Peace Walker too and people picked up on it quickly. Venom does like the real thing though, the Quiet lighting his cigar is her part of the birthday scene.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aurain posted:

She wants to see how Big the Big in Big Boss is.
She wants to Peace his Walker.
She wants the see the Gun of the Patriot.
She wants to be the Snake Eater.
She wants to show the Twins to Snake.

I don't think there's a good sex euphemism joke for Sons of Liberty, but she wants to bang him.

She wants to Liberate his Sons.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
nice

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
At what point in time does Venom Snake play the tape where Big Boss tells him "hey, you're not me, I'm me, sorry bro. Except we're both me, actually?" There's a bunch of gunfire during that scene, which bookends the game, so I assumed it was during some attack on Mother Base.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

paint dry posted:

At what point in time does Venom Snake play the tape where Big Boss tells him "hey, you're not me, I'm me, sorry bro. Except we're both me, actually?" There's a bunch of gunfire during that scene, which bookends the game, so I assumed it was during some attack on Mother Base.

The assault on Outer Heaven in MG1

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The intro of the game says Outer Heaven, though the gear is branded Diamond Dogs and Venom calls DD's Mother Base Outer Heaven at times.

I'd guess that it's meant to be shortly before MG1, but there's nothing in the game that substantiates it in either way outside the intro subtitle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aurain posted:

I'd guess that it's meant to be shortly before MG1, but there's nothing in the game that substantiates it in either way outside the intro subtitle.

The tape that he is playing is labeled with the name of the mission from MG1.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

That doesn't mean the scene is taking place right before then though. It also says "Just another day on the battlefield" or whatever so I'm assuming it's just 'sometime after the game's events'.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

CJacobs posted:

Yeah and that's obviously intentional. What is obviously unintentional is the story not having an ending.

Alright but lets not act like these folks are complete nutter butters. Personally I don't find that idea obvious at all without Kojima tipping his hand, and frankly didn't even notice since boss fights in general werent the same as usual. What they're talking about is being encouraged by Kojima even if they take it too far.

Imo, assuming nothing drastic is happening at konami (and thats no guarantee), they're probably scrambling to make DLC money off of the scraps of whatever is left and it'll retroactively be referred to as some phantom content or something.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 14, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but he turns it over and puts it into an MSX.

As much as that gives some context, it's as easy to see it as a "go play MG1" or "MG1 is next" kind of nod. It's all neat.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I think there's a time skip during the ending cutscene, it starts shortly after the events of the game (evident by the DIamond Dogs logo) and then shortly before the mirror smash it transitions to nine years later (where Venom now looks like a demon) because the Outer Heaven logo is now on the wall.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Alright but lets not act like these folks are complete nutter butters. Personally I don't find that idea obvious at all without Kojima tipping his hand, and frankly didn't even notice since boss fights in general werent the same as usual. What they're talking about is being encouraged by Kojima even if they take it too far.

Imo, assuming nothing drastic is happening at konami (and thats no guarantee), they're probably scrambling to make DLC money off of the scraps of whatever is left and it'll retroactively be referred to as some phantom content or something.

Some kind of content between now and MGO to keep peoples interest doesn't seem unlikely to me. A lot of this stuff seeming fake is important to it, because if Kojima came out and said "you have not seen everything once you've beaten MGSV" or "yes, Ingsoc is an ARG that's gating the rest of the content in the game" would lead to some serious nerds datamining TPP even harder than they already are and spoiling everything like they did with PT. If I remember right Kojima wanted that to last for weeks, and I think it got cracked in a matter of hours or something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Some kind of content between now and MGO to keep peoples interest doesn't seem unlikely to me. A lot of this stuff seeming fake is important to it, because if Kojima came out and said "you have not seen everything once you've beaten MGSV" or "yes, Ingsoc is an ARG that's gating the rest of the content in the game" would lead to some serious nerds datamining TPP even harder than they already are and spoiling everything like they did with PT. If I remember right Kojima wanted that to last for weeks, and I think it got cracked in a matter of hours or something.

Nothing lasts for weeks anymore, the dataminers are just too thorough. The Binding of Isaac re-release had loads of stuff even more obscure than P.T. and that didn't last a full day either.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Nothing lasts for weeks anymore, the dataminers are just too thorough. The Binding of Isaac re-release had loads of stuff even more obscure than P.T. and that didn't last a full day either.

Unless what they're looking for hasn't been patched in yet, which is only possible in this medium. Which is something Kojima said he was going to do. I'm maintaining that there's more to this. I don't think it's an extra 80 missions/Gray Fox is the Medic and GZ is VR or whatever, but it really isn't over yet. At the very least we have to figure out how to get that nuke cutscene (which I'll admit, you got me with the credits appearing to be screen names), and MGO. We just have to be patient, I think. I don't feel it's unreasonable.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

In It For The Tank posted:

I think there's a time skip during the ending cutscene, it starts shortly after the events of the game (evident by the DIamond Dogs logo) and then shortly before the mirror smash it transitions to nine years later (where Venom now looks like a demon) because the Outer Heaven logo is now on the wall.

I got the impression from all the gun fire and the outer haven logo that he's listening to the tape again moments before heading off to fight Solid Snake.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

VarXX posted:

I got the impression from all the gun fire and the outer haven logo that he's listening to the tape again moments before heading off to fight Solid Snake.

Seems to be the consensus, yes. Big Boss turning his back on him insinuates leaving him to die, I think. No Back-up, Venom, you'll have to make do with what you've got.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

In It For The Tank posted:

Cool, I didn't clock the logo change. Wish they'd aged Venom a bit to make it clearer though.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

paint dry posted:

Cool, I didn't clock the logo change. Wish they'd aged Venom a bit to make it clearer though.

Changing Big Boss' voice on the tape to match the one he has in MGS4 would also have been a better way of communicating the timeskip.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

RZApublican posted:

Changing Big Boss' voice on the tape to match the one he has in MGS4 would also have been a better way of communicating the timeskip.

Hmm, nah. Richard Doyle's voice didn't match Hayter at the time, and Kiefer would match up even worse.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I wonder if you can see Big Boss on his motorcycle driving off in the background anywhere during the horse chase with The Man on Fire.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This game's story is giving people insane paranoia.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Im no fob expert but a bunch of laser gates is a good enough deterrent for my rear end. At least while there are still rubes out there plunking good soldiers down into naked bases.
Is there a decent all in one guide for fob or an online manual for this game?
What sort of advice are you looking for? Are you just trying to win invasions, to get good staff, to get more frequent defenses, steal resources?

FIRST RULE OF INVADING: Bring Noctocyanin and have it running at all times. Seeing everybody through walls will give you a good idea where everyone is. There are different patrol configurations and you'll quickly learn which they are based on the initial position of the guards. If you get caught and need to silence everybody it helps you hunt them down as well. If the enemy has UAVs you may want to linger on the sides so one or two find you and you can destroy them, otherwise they will catch you eventually.

If you just want to win, find underdeveloped single struts with 0-18 guards on them and limited/no cameras. Pick either the Support or ideally the Base Development strut.
  • For Support, deploy to the leftmost spawn point, pop Noctocyanin, and go up the stairs next to you. Sometimes there will be a guy on the stairs of the warehouse directly across from the top of the stairs. Kill/tranq him if he's there and then hang a left and go along the outside of the warehouse to a set of stairs there. There may be a guard patrolling close and one around the corner; if they're not moving ignore them, if one is coming around the corner kill him then go around the corner and kill the other guy so he won't notice. Go up the stairs and as soon as you reach the interior walkway of the warehouse vault the railing and drop down. You'll be right at the stairs to the basement which is where you want to go. Downstairs may be 1-2 patrolling guards, so ice them and hit the door and you win.
  • For Base Development, pick the northernmost spawn point behind the big ramp to the upper structure where the door is. Pop Noctocyanin and go up the stairs. Depending on defender placement there will be 1-2 guys walking toward you under the structure next to the generator. There will also often be a guy behind and to the left, but his vision is obscured by AA guns if one exists on the platform. Pop those 2-4 guys and climb the pipe right in front of the generator. Either pop up at the second level and climb over or shimmy all the way up the pipe to the topmost level. Either way the door is right there. Now if you're greedy, you can also quickly run around using crates and struts for cover to kill/tranq all the guards and then start jacking containers, of which the main BD strut has a ton. The best ones are on the bottom level in the three-wide stacks; red containers will start populating the bottom of these stacks as the player acquires sufficient online resources. You can't Fulton a container with another atop it so jump onto one and Fulton all the ones stacked on top first, then the bottom (if it's a 2x2 stack you're SOL, forget it). Take 2-3 stacks of these with the red crates and then run for the door. The greedier you are the more you can steal but the longer you take the more likely a defender spawns in (though I find it really easy to beat a defender on a BD strut with no guards).
  • If you see an empty or near-empty Command strut and everything else is well-defended, come in on the far left (if you're returning to Mother Base in the SP game it's behind the rightmost structure), go under the structure through the tunnel and climb the ladder, then just work up the command tower popping anyone who sees you.
If you do it right you can jack 3k-12k of all resources from a BD strut and not get caught, meaning the other guy has no recourse because he can't figure out who stole them. You won't get huge bonuses from this but you will get wins consistently, and frankly I think you're better off defending a good FOB from risk-takers than being a risk-taker yourself.

For gear, Battle Gear + Silenced Auto-Shotgun + Rocket Launcher + Silenced AM/Burkov (or Slug Uragan if you're feeling saucy), Grenades. Creep around headshotting with the pistol and get to the objective. If you get caught or are up against tough guards the silenced shotgun will take them out rapidly. The rocket launcher is so you're not defenseless against a defender. Use grenades against reinforcement spawn-ins which you should be able to see with Noctocyanin, or against emplacements that got manned. If you're the defender add D-Mines and Sleep Mines to this loadout and mine the poo poo out of all the approaches to the doors before you head out looking for the invader. Might even consider a C4+D-Mine trap for extra punch. As a defender always keep your distance (CQC is the great equalizer to superior armor and firepower) and try to guard a chokepoint. The attacker is the one on a clock, and letting the guards deal with him first will give you some hints as to where he is, where he's going, whether he's lethal or not, etc. When you spot him start rocketing his rear end, if he rushes you use the shotgun for a knockdown stunlock. Most invaders of multi-strut platforms won't get past the first two decks anyway so you can basically hang out at the 2nd-3rd junction and serve as gatekeeper, checking the bottom of the strut (or D-Mining it) so you know if the attacker is coming.

Most attackers are cute guys with tranq sniper rifles and Sneaking Suits and die to one rocket or a double-tap shotgun blast. Don't be that guy. Expect things to get hot and if you're good and fast and pick weak targets they won't. If you're attacking a strong target, things will go hot, so don't end up chewed apart by well-armed guards and defenders, have the guns to fight back against an army. Worst case scenario you lose but take a bunch of guards down with you.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Buschmaki posted:

This game's story is giving people insane paranoia.

Buddy, this isn't even a fraction of what things were like after MGS2 dropped.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
It would be pretty fun now to see the moments where Eli kills Kaz before MGS1 (as mentioned above), Ocelot reunites with Eli and 3rd Boy before Shadow Moses, Snake and Venom meet in MG1 and obviously when Snake and BB meet in MG2 re-contextualized with the backplot filled in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They could have Big Boss actually mention that Snake is is his cloneson!

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So I'm trying to sort out who's good and who's bad in all of this. So the bad guy in Metal Gear isn't actually Big Boss but Venom Snake. But he's still kind of working for Boss. And Ocelot- always the bad guy - is also good because he works for Boss and the Patriots. So are there any good guys or bad guys or is the point of it all that there are no bad or good guys, just soldiers fighting each other and reasons are stupid.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

So I'm trying to sort out who's good and who's bad in all of this. So the bad guy in Metal Gear isn't actually Big Boss but Venom Snake. But he's still kind of working for Boss. And Ocelot- always the bad guy - is also good because he works for Boss and the Patriots. So are there any good guys or bad guys or is the point of it all that there are no bad or good guys, just soldiers fighting each other and reasons are stupid.

The good guys in the series are The Boss, Ocelot, Solid Snake, Otacon, and Raiden. Cheers to ya OP

edit: forgot Nastasha and Sunny

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

Everyone in the prequel games is a bad person. It's just a case of when they become a bad person.

Boss eventually runs a nuclear-equipped rogue nation state (or actually two of those.) Venom helps him out. Ocelot secretly helps him out but is also basically a double-agent to everyone else in existence. The Patriots want to secretly control the world behind the scenes.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Big Boss is pretty unambiguously a warmongering villain by the time of MG1 and 2, but even so I don't think there even is a Big Bad Villain of the series, especially since Zero is kind of almost maybe sympathetic now. Good intentions gone bad, etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

paint dry posted:

Big Boss is pretty unambiguously a warmongering villain by the time of MG1 and 2, but even so I don't think there even is a Big Bad Villain of the series, especially since Zero is kind of almost maybe sympathetic now. Good intentions gone bad, etc.

Yeah, every single villain in the franchise is "they had good intentions but either went bad or had a hosed-up ideology in the first place."

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

So when did Ocelot become a dick? I mean he's a real jerk to Fortune and Jack in Metal Gear Solid 2. The torture thing happened early on so he's always had a taste for that.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
It turns out that in FOBs if you're hanging over an edge sonar and don't move(?) sonar won't work on you.

I had an attacker that sat like that for like 10 minutes while I was wondering why I couldn't find him. Until I caught him hanging by that boat area near the bottom of a platform where it's really hard to see him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spikeguy posted:

So when did Ocelot become a dick? I mean he's a real jerk to Fortune and Jack in Metal Gear Solid 2. The torture thing happened early on so he's always had a taste for that.

Ocelot was always a dick. He was a dick back in MGS3!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Full Battle Rattle posted:

PT didn't get data mined, its secret ending was just found through the "infinite monkeys, infinite typewriters" method. Except the monkeys are Twitch streamers, and the typewriters are PS4s.

...and if it did get data mined, please please please link me to the results.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

FZeroRacer posted:

It turns out that in FOBs if you're hanging over an edge sonar and don't move(?) sonar won't work on you.

I had an attacker that sat like that for like 10 minutes while I was wondering why I couldn't find him. Until I caught him hanging by that boat area near the bottom of a platform where it's really hard to see him.
I've never had sonar or Noctocyanin work against an invader for whatever reason. I think as invader (or maybe only with a Sneaking Suit) you get certain immunities to things a defending player could do to otherwise easily find you. Edge-hanging not affecting sonar at least makes a small degree of sense though there's no easy way to know you should be doing it at any given time.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
If you play all 5 Metal Gear games consecutively (EXCLuding peace walker and portable ops) and then reset the console twice you will be able to unlock The Good Guy.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Ocelot was always a dick. He was a dick back in MGS3!

Then I blame Troy Baker for making him seem like a cool guy in this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine
Something neat I noticed: They used the whole "goes colorblind and can't tell the difference in red and white" right in the hospital scene after Man on Fire ruins the soldiers execution of you.

Also we never see what Intrude tape gets played. We see "Intrude N31#". It could very well be N312, which was the first attempt on Outer Heaven. By Frank Jaeger.

The twitter mentioned yellow lines in cut scenes, which can either be the shrapnel in Venom's brain, or are we playing a VR simulator?

The fact snake does have a reflex mode is also very suspect, considering that is literally Gray Fox's shtick if he wants to survive with a sword.

Chippita fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 14, 2015

• Locked thread