Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

HiKaizer posted:

The thing with Black Mage in Heavensward, is that you don't get Fire 4 until level 60 and it's the combination of Fire 4 and Blizzard 4 that make the Enochian cycle. Before that you still need to use your 2.0 cycle, although at 58 you can use Bliz 4 to prolong Enochian's buff if you're paying attention. But otherwise it is just a DPS cooldown. Then you get to 60, get Fire 4 and are expected to go out into dungeons and the world and figure out how to use it.

Which is fine for the average MMO player that experiments with their skills and tries new things out, but a lot of people rely on their class quests to explain how to use their basic stuff in FFXIV and the new BLM stuff just doesn't.

Honestly I think Enochian, Bliz 4 and Fire 4 should have been earned at 52, 54 and 56 to give people a chance to experiment with them and to learn how they work. Leylines is a nice cooldown, and sharpcast is novel, but they could have stuck the core new rotation in earlier.

I'm 58 on my BLM now. I wouldn't even just say it's class quest stuff that trains you, but BLM rotation has felt sorta self explanatory so far outside of a few small things. (Maintain thunder, spend as much time in fire mode as possible, use fire 1 to proc free fire 3s) - the only thing I really overlooked was that astral fire/umbral ice speeds up the cast time of the opposing element, so I missed that Blizzard 3 was a better way to transition back to umbral then transpose.

Leylines and Sharpcast both feel like good additions. Introducing a totally new rotation just seems odd and Enochian on it's own is kind of pointless so when you first get it you're kinda scratching your head, although I don't know if bundling it with Bliz4 would have been a better solution.

Also, having a completely different rotation at 60 feels like it's going to make getting level synced down a bigger pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Evil Fluffy posted:

If only you were in a massive FC with a bunch of crafters who could make gear for you.

I'm not on Excalibur, but I've got my own crafting friends that can do it for me. It's more the principal of the thing: when leveling slows down at the upper levels, I always had Level 45 to look forward to because I'd get some cool looking gear for free. Just seems weird to not follow the same schedule as the other classes. Who needs AF gear at Level 60 when you'll have Expert/Law/Eso/Alex gear waiting for you? What ilvl is the 60 AF gear?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
But leveling at 44 speeds up, not down. :v:

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Hairstyle Design Contest winners announced.
No pompadour.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

gently caress this dumb game for losers

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Male hairstyle is the most milktoast thing I've seen

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

gently caress this gay earth

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The female design is fine. Don't really care for the male's but at least it's a somewhat unique option for them now.

They should just add in all the runners-up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I actually thought that this was a woman's haircut.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I actually don't get why women and men have different haircuts, but here we are.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

My secret fetish is women with bowl cuts.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
They look pretty neat.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

I actually thought that this was a woman's haircut.

it's so goddamn boring piss gently caress rear end in a top hat dipshit fart

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Anyone use the Logitech G13 with this game? I just picked it up and got the drivers installed. I'm not sure what to keybind and what I should make my HUD look like to better represent it. The joystick feels a bit awkward but that will probably just take some getting used to. Any tips or tricks? Sadly, FFXIV isn't a listed profile in Logitech's library.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

seiferguy posted:

Anyone use the Logitech G13 with this game? I just picked it up and got the drivers installed. I'm not sure what to keybind and what I should make my HUD look like to better represent it. The joystick feels a bit awkward but that will probably just take some getting used to. Any tips or tricks? Sadly, FFXIV isn't a listed profile in Logitech's library.

Take a moment to map the keyboard to FFXIV by making a profile just for FFXIV and setting it to run with the clients. You can copy it from another MMO, since most use similar schemes, then just alter it to fit the game.

Its up to preference, but I just dont like using the knob to move. I have things like Inventory, abilities, duties and character info bound to each direction. Then G4, G10, G11, G12 as WQES movement. The rest is up to personal preference, usually my MMO setup looks pretty unconventional, but its been working for me for years and I'll never go back

Here's a link to it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwyfqi4sep4vge6/FFXIV.xml?dl=0

I have a g602 mouse so I have the 3 bottom buttons working like alt, shift and ctr. So I can manage 4 hotbars without much issues.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 14, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
They need more long hairstyles for women. Too many short hair or ponytail looks. I just want some with long hair that goes half way down the back.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

They need more long hairstyles for women. Too many short hair or ponytail looks. I just want some with long hair that goes half way down the back.

That will clip through every robe you own.

Lots of us don't mind, but that's their reasoning.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

At least the female design is interesting.

I hope someone pulls an executive decision and pushes the pompadour through, though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh look the boring, uninteresting bishonen hair won for male. It's okay I didn't want interesting hair anyways. :smith:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Take a moment to map the keyboard to FFXIV by making a profile just for FFXIV and setting it to run with the clients. You can copy it from another MMO, since most use similar schemes, then just alter it to fit the game.

Its up to preference, but I just dont like using the knob to move. I have things like Inventory, abilities, duties and character info bound to each direction. Then G4, G10, G11, G12 as WQES movement. The rest is up to personal preference, usually my MMO setup looks pretty unconventional, but its been working for me for years and I'll never go back

Here's a link to it
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwyfqi4sep4vge6/FFXIV.xml?dl=0

I have a g602 mouse so I have the 3 bottom buttons working like alt, shift and ctr. So I can manage 4 hotbars without much issues.

This is good info, thanks! Did you change your HUD at all to make it look closer to how the G13 is shaped?

Kuai
May 25, 2004
You guys do realize what game your playing right? Don't act so surprised the anime hair won.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

seiferguy posted:

This is good info, thanks! Did you change your HUD at all to make it look closer to how the G13 is shaped?

Hell no. Its just 4 bars centered and reduced size

Aug
Sep 8, 2004

Got Smuff?

Is this too much to ask for?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Aug posted:

Too many polygons needed

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Aug posted:

It's the reward for beating the Hair Primal.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
the fine text of that hairstyle contest said that (im paraphrasing here) if SE liked a hairstyle that didnt win they still have the option to put it in the game anyway. hopefully we can get sweet pompadours that way

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Kuvo posted:

the fine text of that hairstyle contest said that (im paraphrasing here) if SE liked a hairstyle that didnt win they still have the option to put it in the game anyway. hopefully we can get sweet pompadours that way

I would love a pompadour but give it to women too, then have all the women at that limsa bar have it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The male hairstyle would look great on female characters.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is there a side quest I have to do to unlock hunts (like how I had to do one to get the challenge log or whatever it's called) or do I just get access during the MSQ? If the former (which I assume it is) where is it and what level?

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there a side quest I have to do to unlock hunts (like how I had to do one to get the challenge log or whatever it's called) or do I just get access during the MSQ? If the former (which I assume it is) where is it and what level?

Lv53 and iirc 55/56? at the Forgotten Knight and again at 59 I think with the old woman in Idleshire.

Edit: wait are we talking ARR or HW? ARR I believe you need to be max GC rank and then you talk to someone at your GC. Need to do that to unlock HW hunts too.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

You need to have the hunt quest from your Grand Company done in order to unlock the ones for Heavensward (or at least the initial one in Ishgard) - I think it requires you to be max rank with your GC and level 50 and it's found around or in your GC HQ.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The hunt quest should be "Let the hunt begin (GC name here)" and it should by where you do your GC turn-ins. And yeah it should be a level 50 quest.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bleuraindrops posted:

Edit: wait are we talking ARR or HW? ARR I believe you need to be max GC rank and then you talk to someone at your GC. Need to do that to unlock HW hunts too.

man, I'm only level 34, I can't be assed with HW stuff yet! Hell, it took me a minute to figure out what you meant by ARR and HW.

I guess I should actually look into doing GC stuff, I assume turnins and stuff are what increase my rank?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

man, I'm only level 34, I can't be assed with HW stuff yet! Hell, it took me a minute to figure out what you meant by ARR and HW.

I guess I should actually look into doing GC stuff, I assume turnins and stuff are what increase my rank?

You can't even touch HW stuff yet anyways.

Unlocking hunt stuff isn't important till you're past 50 anyways. That said, you talk to one of the dudes in the GC place and ask for a promotion. It always costs grand company seals. Some ranks have additional requirements, like having a rank of the hunting log done (which you should be doing as it's the best source of seals) - and a few ranks will ask you to do a quest & dungeon.

Turn-ins, assuming you're referring to the provisioning/requistion missions just get you seals, and if you're focusing on just leveling your combat job is probably not a great way to get seals. You should be able to get most of the seals you need from the hunting log, daily roulette bonus and fates.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

The guy you give the turn ins to next to the quartermaster handles promotions in each GC. To promote you need a couple thousand seals that increases for each rank. Some promotions also require either finishing a level in the GC hunting log (which also requires completing Halitali and Cutter's Cry as some mobs in the log only appear in those dungeons) or doing a quest that's basically doing Darkhold and Aurum Vale.

So basically get seals from roulettes, hunting log, fates, and turning in old dungeon gear. Check up to see what you need to do to promote, and do the hunting log / dungeon quests as required. You do need a lot of seals and lv1-50 gear turn in seals got nerfed when HW came out so it might take some extra legwork. Provisioning quests can also give seals if you're doing any crafting / gathering and the turn ins scale to your level. They give decent EXP to boot too.

There is a third GC hunting log that requires doing Wanderer's Palace but I don't remember if that's needed for max GC rank.

e: For reference, Halitali is a lv20 dungeon, Cutter's Cry is 38, Darkhold is 44, Aurum Vale is 47, and Wanderer's Palace is lv50. None are required by the story

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Scrublord Prime posted:

e: For reference, Halitali is a lv20 dungeon, Cutter's Cry is 38, Darkhold is 44, Aurum Vale is 47, and Wanderer's Palace is lv50. None are required by the story

Do I have to actually go find these places to queue for them in the duty list or will they just show up when I'm the appropriate level? I've just been burning through the MSQ (and doing a side quest here or there if I get stuck too low for the next one).

vvv ugh, one of my friends told me I would unlock everything just by doing the msq (which I guess I should have realized was super wrong once I figured out how to get my chocobo and also make it fight with me). Now I have to go do a dungeon that I'm way overleveled for or level a secondary class up to 20 :( Thanks though vvv

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 14, 2015

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
you have to do a quest

http://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Dungeons this will help you

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kuai posted:

You guys do realize what game your playing right? Don't act so surprised the anime hair won.

It's not anime because I like it.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Doing the MSQ does unlock the quests to unlock everything though! :v:

There's a guide that has all the quests and whatnot you have to do to unlock everything, hopefully somebody has the link for it. It's handy so you don't end up missing something critical to the game like dyes and glamors and mounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Scrublord Prime posted:

Doing the MSQ does unlock the quests to unlock everything though! :v:

There's a guide that has all the quests and whatnot you have to do to unlock everything, hopefully somebody has the link for it. It's handy so you don't end up missing something critical to the game like dyes and glamors and mounts.

Bingo, baby.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

• Locked thread