Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

You gave the ottomans back one of their cores from qara at presumably a dip point cost to yourself. What were you even thinking was going to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Prop Wash posted:

You gave the ottomans back one of their cores from qara at presumably a dip point cost to yourself. What were you even thinking was going to happen

... I was thinking "I'll give the ottomans a core back and in doing so this will deepen our alliance". Within a month we went from loved at 185 relations to negative. Pretty impressive to see happen, actually...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd say you should try to butter up the Mamluks and Timurids, since neither of them are too fond of the Ottos.

And yeah, the AI generally will not give a poo poo about your generosity.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

double nine posted:

So uh, how does one keep the Ottomans friendly as Shi'a? I went to war with Qara, made them give up a core to ottomans and now because we neighbour and I am a heretic they hate my guts and want my stuff (they have claims, no cores). What a dick. ... You try to be nice to people.

Vassalize them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Holy poo poo!

Has anyone ever seen this occur before? I did not know this was possible unless the player dismantles it. I have never had this happen in over 1,000 hours of playing. It happened 20 years after the Evangelical Union won the War of the Protestant League.

Node fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 15, 2015

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I am restarting Punjab, ideas are welcome:

My current strategy is to make Delhi eat poo poo and die while grabbing all Panjabi territories ASAP, followed by having a Rajput vassal to assimilate all that increased coring cost provinces. Problem is that Delhi somehow has huge numbers of troops even after I break them over and I really do not know why.

Converting to Sikh first thing when available, of course.

Idea group progression is Humanist+Influence+Defensive so far. Any tips regarding how to not lag tremendously behind as Indian tech is warmly welcomed.

Thanks!

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Node posted:

Holy poo poo!

Has anyone ever seen this occur before? I did not know this was possible unless the player dismantles it. I have never had this happen in over 1,000 hours of playing. It happened 20 years after the Evangelical Union won the War of the Protestant League.

It may have been similar to the way I broke the empire once. Which was Bohemia(?) had passed all the reforms up to but just short of hereditary monarchy. They lost the emperorship for some reason and it passed to a two province minor who passed the hereditary reform, making them the only valid Emperor. I annexed them, there was no other valid emperor and the empire promptly disbanded.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Larry Parrish posted:

Almost every 1444 vassal has insanely good events except they're all underneath countries that are hard to get away from.
It actually really isn't hard now to break free from your overlord as long as they have rivals. Rivals are almost always willing to support your independence. Against Venice it should be a sure thing if you can get Aragon/Austria into the war.

Average Bear posted:

I just read a cool gimmick run where you change from Venice to Byz by like 1490 and get some sweet permanent events that boost RT

This sounds amazing, link?

Node posted:

Holy poo poo!

That's pretty impressive, any screenshots of what Europe looked like around this time?

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Ignore the thing about Buddhism, it's still a mechanically weak religion but at least now it has its own niche and you can feasibly stay at good levels of karma.

Other good non-Asian non-European starts are Mutapa, Ethiopia and Songhai.

How bad is Buddhism? Or is it just bad in the "nothing that really benefits or hurts you" sort of way?

Also, thanks for that list! That helped narrow things down a bunch.

Ever consider doing one for non-european countries in general?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

420 Gank Mid posted:

That's pretty impressive, any screenshots of what Europe looked like around this time?

It isn't anything special, it's a pretty standard Europe. Over half of the provinces in the HRE are Protestant, I have no idea how they could not come up with another elector. It had something to do with the Netherlands declaring independence during the league war, either an elector or the emperor joined the republic. Holland became the Emperor, and then they joined the Netherlands. The last emperor and the date that Holland was annexed are the same. But there were electors, how strange.

Also, is Barbarossa bugged? I'm doing that + Better than Piet Heyn as Tunis, and it says you're supposed to privateer with 500 light ships at the same time. I just got it with 19 pirating Sevilla.

Node fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 15, 2015

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

And yeah, the AI generally will not give a poo poo about your generosity.

The AI is loving insane if you hit the wrong triggers. Had a Brandenburg game where France and I were allies and royal married for 3 centuries, close to 200 relations the whole time and they burned it all and rivaled me because I had the audacity to give them most of the provinces they wanted instead of all of them in a joint war. I thought I had them all but the UI lied to me. Joy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Node posted:

Also, is Barbarossa bugged?
Yes.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I bring dishonor upon my family for gaining this achievement illegitimately.

For pirating treasure fleets, do I want to pirate the Caribbean, or do I want to pirate the home node of the nation whose colony has a bunch of gold mines? So far, I haven't had a popup telling me my pirates got some loot.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Contrecoup posted:

The AI is loving insane if you hit the wrong triggers. Had a Brandenburg game where France and I were allies and royal married for 3 centuries, close to 200 relations the whole time and they burned it all and rivaled me because I had the audacity to give them most of the provinces they wanted instead of all of them in a joint war. I thought I had them all but the UI lied to me. Joy.

They don't ever give a poo poo about you not giving them everything they want, they only get the 'did not give cores or claims' penalty if you don't give them any of those. If they swing around on you like that, it's nearly always because you conquered something that they were trying to conquer.

Node posted:

It isn't anything special, it's a pretty standard Europe. Over half of the provinces in the HRE are Protestant, I have no idea how they could not come up with another elector. It had something to do with the Netherlands declaring independence during the league war, either an elector or the emperor joined the republic. Holland became the Emperor, and then they joined the Netherlands. The last emperor and the date that Holland was annexed are the same. But there were electors, how strange.

Also, is Barbarossa bugged? I'm doing that + Better than Piet Heyn as Tunis, and it says you're supposed to privateer with 500 light ships at the same time. I just got it with 19 pirating Sevilla.

Said electors weren't all Republics were they?

Node posted:

For pirating treasure fleets, do I want to pirate the Caribbean, or do I want to pirate the home node of the nation whose colony has a bunch of gold mines? So far, I haven't had a popup telling me my pirates got some loot.

Either will work, the home nodes are better, just because more treasure fleets are generally sailing into them, but nearly all of them flow through the Caribbean anyway, so in this case it doesn't matter. What you want for the achievement though is to make off with as much gold as possible, meaning you want to be privateering somewhere along the path of the treasure that the AI isn't patrolling (or just sink all their ships).

You get loot when the treasure fleets actually sail, which is once every two or three years or something? I think it depends on exactly how many gold provinces there are in the CN.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 15, 2015

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

during one of my recent france games I inherited (didn't just get a personal union with, inherited) austria before 1500.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I believe Hungary also gets an event that will give them an Union with Austria, although the AI is set to rarely take that path. I think there's another that can give Austria a union over Hungary, which is how you sometimes see them wholly united by 1600.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bel Monte posted:

How bad is Buddhism? Or is it just bad in the "nothing that really benefits or hurts you" sort of way?

Also, thanks for that list! That helped narrow things down a bunch.

Ever consider doing one for non-european countries in general?

Buddhism is at least interesting to play now because you always get a bunch of peace options such as release state and return cores for 0 dip cost, but from a pure powergaming perspective they don't really offer anything special and you do still need to generally make less optimal choices in peace deals in order to keep your karma up.

I never play in the new world so that list is fairly exhaustive as far as my experience goes with non-Europe starts; I could add some more but Africa, Arabia and Central Asia / Mongolia are the only regions with varied choices that I didn't go over, and they're all fairly samey choices where most starts are viable and not extremely difficult (small West African Pagan starts can be tricky). I was originally replying to someone asking about SEA and Indian starts so that's what I was looking at specifically. It's my favourite part of the map anyway! :)

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Sep 15, 2015

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
DDRJake is doing the convert India to Buddhism achievement on his stream actually, started sunday. Only one false start where Vijianagar declared war right at the start, second time around he demolished them (as Ceylon) due to them being in multiple wars.
Buddhism seems alright now with the tweaks.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It it still really annoying to handle karma and your best best is to cheese it using some small nations with double cores that you force to release the other nation every time the peace is up.
Buddhism is really manpower draining because you need to do so many pointless wars just to not gently caress up your karma.

Also gently caress you RNG, my Take that von Habsburg game was almost done and then out of nowhere I get to challenge 3 province Ryazan for a PU over a huge Muscowy. My first random PU in the last 600 or so hours and it's in a game I am done with.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
gently caress this poo poo. I keep trying to get a dcent North Africa game going and I swear to god it just isn't possible. Your land is garbage and Portugal and Spain always want it for some unfathomable reason.

Is there any way to really force Ming to collapse? They fail utterly whenever I'm too far away to take advantage and are an unstoppable empire of stability and ruining specifically my ambitions when I play in Asia. Looking for a fun east-asian playthrough that doesn't force me to live in Ming's shadow for fear of getting curb stomped.

Deport The Irish fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 15, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

420 Gank Mid posted:

This sounds amazing, link?

http://m.imgur.com/a/HNNvv

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

PittTheElder posted:

They don't ever give a poo poo about you not giving them everything they want, they only get the 'did not give cores or claims' penalty if you don't give them any of those. If they swing around on you like that, it's nearly always because you conquered something that they were trying to conquer.

This is a lie. I gave them 3 of four places they had claims in, the 4th stayed with the owner and the peace UI said France would approve of it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Essentially, if you're allied to someone and have no border with them, you should expect the AI to go batshit insane as soon as you do. It might not happen, but planning around that will lead to tears down the line.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Wouldn't it be cool if the AI could plan long term to be allied with you and then plan a proper backstab? Or just be actual best buddies for life because they should know I will burn and salt their entire country if they stop being my allies.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I've often thought that it'd be nice if there was a counter to the Rivals mechanic where you could establish like an unofficial partnership with another country if your relation were high enough and you've been allies for like 50+ years that would have various benefits and very strict war deterrents, but then something tells me it would just break the AI and would lead to mega-blobs. Maybe if it only affected the player or something.

Plus there are already alliances, marriages, unions, coalitions, guarantees, DotF calls, and warnings to consider, so adding another system that could affect who gets called into what wars might get real loving messy.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:staredog:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

I can't help but wonder why he doesn't vassalize Byz in the first war. It'll drag the Ottos in earlier, but it'll probably be a defensive war, dragging in Austira and Poland. Seems much better all around.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 15, 2015

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

VDay posted:

I've often thought that it'd be nice if there was a counter to the Rivals mechanic where you could establish like an unofficial partnership with another country if your relation were high enough and you've been allies for like 50+ years that would have various benefits and very strict war deterrents, but then something tells me it would just break the AI and would lead to mega-blobs. Maybe if it only affected the player or something.

Plus there are already alliances, marriages, unions, coalitions, guarantees, DotF calls, and warnings to consider, so adding another system that could affect who gets called into what wars might get real loving messy.

Seems to me like you should be able to build up a 'historical friend' modifier. It shouldn't just be countries that were friends before 1444 that get it. If you're allies with someone from 1444 until 1744 and always have each other's back, that seems an awful lot like a historical friendship to me.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cynic Jester posted:

I can't help but wonder why he doesn't vassalize Byz in the first war. It'll drag the Ottos in earlier, but it'll probably be a defensive war, dragging in Austira and Poland. Seems much better all around.

Because he's trying to culture swap

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

vyelkin posted:

Seems to me like you should be able to build up a 'historical friend' modifier. It shouldn't just be countries that were friends before 1444 that get it. If you're allies with someone from 1444 until 1744 and always have each other's back, that seems an awful lot like a historical friendship to me.

Trust ultimately plays this role, as you build it up through continued agreements, honouring CTAs and the like. I think the devs said something about making trust clearer in the UI, which should help.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

But you can still make Byz a vassal in the first war, fight a defensive war with the ottos to give them back some cores (and take some yourself if you have plenty of ADM) integrate, then culture swap. It just means that you will be delaying the Naxos/Corfu integration for a few more years

Obliterati posted:

Trust ultimately plays this role, as you build it up through continued agreements, honouring CTAs and the like. I think the devs said something about making trust clearer in the UI, which should help.

Other than honoring/refusing call to arms I have no idea what builds or removes trust.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

420 Gank Mid posted:

Other than honoring/refusing call to arms I have no idea what builds or removes trust.

I know the obvious, which is that declaring war and taking provinces from someone craters trust forever.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Obliterati posted:

Except it doesn't. AIs with 60+ trust that were willing to join you in a war against someone on the other side of the world they'd never even heard of one week will rival you the next week.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Integrating Naxos and Corfu is stupid anyway because you have to eat the diplo rep penalty for 10 years to get one province apiece. Just release them when you have the prestige and take the provinces. Taking Plutocracy and Humanist is also a dumb idea when your new ideas will give you 3% missionary power and 3 tolerance true

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Larry Parrish posted:

He doesn't actually shift to Byzantium until the 1550s, and there's a ton of Greek development available. Add that Constantinople remains greek when the Ottos don't grab it and I don't see how it'll slow you down at all compared to annexing. It'll let you spend your admin points on other things, including cutting down the time you spend saving Admin points for culture shifting and moving your capital. It will also keep you from rocking a completely poo poo religious unity for ~50 or so years.

Edit: To be clear about culture shifting, it just needs to be the largest culture in your country as far as I know. I'm not sure you can find a culture besides like Austrian that'll match all the greek provinces in terms of development.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 15, 2015

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

He doesn't actually shift to Byzantium until the 1550s, and there's a ton of Greek development available. Add that Constantinople remains greek when the Ottos don't grab it and I don't see how it'll slow you down at all compared to annexing. It'll let you spend your admin points on other things, including cutting down the time you spend saving Admin points for culture shifting and moving your capital. It will also keep you from rocking a completely poo poo religious unity for ~50 or so years.

Edit: To be clear about culture shifting, it just needs to be the largest culture in your country as far as I know. I'm not sure you can find a culture besides like Austrian that'll match all the greek provinces in terms of development.

It's not about development, just number of provinces, and there are a bunch of Greek provinces

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Yashichi posted:

It's not about development, just number of provinces, and there are a bunch of Greek provinces

It used to be tax base, have they changed it to only be about # of provinces? Because that just makes it much easier.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

Cynic Jester posted:

It used to be tax base, have they changed it to only be about # of provinces? Because that just makes it much easier.

I'm pretty sure that culture shifting is based off of # of provinces now. Whatever culture you have the most provinces of, so long as your capital is somewhere of that culture you can shift to it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cynic Jester posted:

Correct, you just need a plurality of target culture X provinces, then move your capital there and pay the stability cost.

I would also agree Humanist and Plutocratic is a little overkill, I'd probably do one or the other but not both. You also potentially get another 2% MS from being Orthodox on top of 3% from Byz NIs and can grab Jerusalem without too much difficulty for another missionary. Maxed PA also gives -3 RR in Orthodox provinces, so it makes a lot more sense to me to convert everything ASAP and it'll be just as stable as if you'd taken Humanist and Plutocratic.

I think I'd want Administrative ideas with that much early blobbing, and it would help a lot with mercs which you're going to need to lean a lot on.

Edit: I also forgot that republics get a reduced penalty from off-culture, too. Not that Humanist is a bad pick at all, I just question the strategy of grabbing Humanist + Plutocratic so you can never have revolts and lower autonomy early. Those are nice things, but you're going to achieve super stability and similarly low RR once you finish converting. I'd probably skip Humanist and go something like Admin, Influence, Plutocratic for my first three.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

I don't think it was ever tax base, it was province count even before the development change

• Locked thread