Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Geralt and Yennefer have a lot more in common and enjoy better chemistry. Triss also has done some pretty underhanded stuff to Geralt and the people he cares about but most people haven't read the books and many haven't played the previous games, so they're not particularly aware of that. TW3 doesn't bring it up much. Guess the writers felt the drama would distract too much from the game's main focus so they had it all happen off screen between games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

is the witcher 2 poorly optimised or something? i'm playing this for the first time and i'm only getting about 30-40 FPS despite my PC that's probably good enough to run the witcher 3 on decent settings.

i'm running on windows 10 64 bit with an asus x99-a, 16GB of ram, msi 980 Ti, i7-5820K @ 3.3 GHZ and despite any settings, i can't really get a great framerate at all. i've turned off cinematic DOF because that tanked FPS, as well as increasing the limit of vram memory in the user config to 5000, but it hasn't had a massive effect.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I can run TW2 with everything but ubersampling on highest on my laptop so no I have no idea what's going on there. You ought to be able to handle it easily.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

ThePutty posted:

is the witcher 2 poorly optimised or something? i'm playing this for the first time and i'm only getting about 30-40 FPS despite my PC that's probably good enough to run the witcher 3 on decent settings.

i'm running on windows 10 64 bit with an asus x99-a, 16GB of ram, msi 980 Ti, i7-5820K @ 3.3 GHZ and despite any settings, i can't really get a great framerate at all. i've turned off cinematic DOF because that tanked FPS, as well as increasing the limit of vram memory in the user config to 5000, but it hasn't had a massive effect.

I have to run W2 on the almost-lowest settings on my 4 year old iMac. It was marginally better on the windows boot side. I chalked it up to an imac not really being a gaming machine. Kayran fight was horseshit until I got lucky. I may try again with the resolution down to a minimum but whatever.

Also I *really* don't like the lighting in W2. It's almost glowing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ThePutty posted:

It is pretty poo poo, yeah. I actually ended up upgrading my computer to run it because while everything else ran fine I would have issues with W2 even on lower settings.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ThePutty posted:

That's weird you really Shouldn't be having any issues. Turn off ubersampling if that's on for some reason and also what resolution are you playing it at?

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Shockeh posted:

Triss all day.

Don't listen to the haters.
I went with Yen and I definitely feel like it was the right choice for me, but this thread is definitely biased towards Yen.
You could try pursuing both of them though . . . I think Geralt would enjoy that.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Shockeh posted:

I'm still mostly avoiding the thread because I don't want to accidentally spoiler myself any more than I have done, but I just romanced Triss, and by comparison I can see no reason to pick Yennefer ever. Triss all day.. I loved the scene, I thought it was really well written and I dug it.

My only, only complaint about the game so far in general is it feels a LITTLE MMO Theme-Parky at times; Like some things are clearly just standing around waiting for you to turn up. The main plot certainly isn't, it feels really immersive and like you're one part of something else big going on, but a lot of the side content does.

Triss just barely redeems herself in Rivia when Geralt gets stabbed, but only because of Yen. There's a reason why her name is on the memorial on the heights of Sodden. Yen on the other hand literally takes weeks of torture without ratting anyone out. She might not be the most likeable character to have tea with, but she's not some confused girly pants with weak nerves.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
To be fair Triss is finally over her cowardice by the time of the games. She just needs to work on her naivete and weird Philippa blindspot.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Oh sure, or at least by what she does in TW3. Her main flaw before that is, that she is good natured and not really strong willed enough to step on anyone's toes. Beta?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
More just shallow and trusting. Book Spoilers for Book 3 and on: Her whole speech in Blood of Elves about how she still didn't even know why she was at Sodden and she didn't really accomplish anything while she was there other than get blown up, but she'd do it again anyway, is pretty much a summary of her character. Before the whole Lodge thing, she was primarily known for her complete, unquestioning loyalty to the Council and Conclave. Unfortunately after those dissolve, she transfers that already arguably misplaced loyalty to Philippa, and bad things happen.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Lol they give you default hair in the second Yen sex scene for some reason. Mohawk Geralt gets no play. :(

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Zaggitz posted:

Lol they give you default hair in the second Yen sex scene for some reason. Mohawk Geralt gets no play. :(

It might be pre-rendered.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

To be fair Triss is finally over her cowardice by the time of the games. She just needs to work on her naivete and weird Philippa blindspot.

What irked me about that was when you show Triss the megascope Geralt totally capitulates if she yells at him for taking the contract to find Phillipa. I know Geralt isn't a cipher for the player, but I don't know why Geralt would unambiguously be against Phillipa getting killed when she's such a manipulative nightmare person. Screw Phillipa.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
He didn't when I played. Yen makes a much better argument. In my first playthrough after talking to Triss I just gave it to Radovid on a "gently caress Philippa" basis. Taking it to Yen instead she didn't show any particular concern for Philippa but argued that Geralt shouldn't take it to Radovid because it would endanger other mages she had contact with, as well as potentially Triss and herself.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

He didn't when I played. Yen makes a much better argument. In my first playthrough after talking to Triss I just gave it to Radovid on a "gently caress Philippa" basis. Taking it to Yen instead she didn't show any particular concern for Philippa but argued that Geralt shouldn't take it to Radovid because it would endanger other mages she had contact with, as well as potentially Triss and herself.

I guess we chose different options, but in mine he said by taking the job he could protect Phillipa or something like that. But Triss did also make the argument you're talking about. Can I still give it to Yen if I've finished that specific quest but didn't give it to Radovid or Triss, or can you only give it to any of them while the quest is active?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Huh. Maybe I'm just misremembering the dialogue. You did tell her outright you were gonna take it to Radovid, right?. And no, you can only take it to one of them in a given playthrough, while the quest is active.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Huh. Maybe I'm just misremembering the dialogue. You did tell her outright you were gonna take it to Radovid, right?. And no, you can only take it to one of them in a given playthrough, while the quest is active.

Nah, I guess I was too wishy-washy, I think I said I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. And that's too bad, I guess I should've just given it to somebody.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
From what I recall, Yen is like "You are going to trust that madman with an artifact that can be used to find mages?"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wiseblood posted:

It probably is because cutscenes also change any of the DLC outfits you give the ladies back to their defaults

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Took a selfie with the King of the Pontar

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So what's the best way to get better swords when I'm a higher level, crafting better ones or buying ones?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Bob NewSCART posted:

So what's the best way to get better swords when I'm a higher level, crafting better ones or buying ones?

Finding the Witcher sword recipes and crafting those.

Edit: You'll be getting plenty of great swords from doing the main plot, especially from lvl 15-18+ but nothing really compares to the witcher gear that you can upgrade.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

havenwaters posted:

That's weird you really Shouldn't be having any issues. Turn off ubersampling if that's on for some reason and also what resolution are you playing it at?

i've got ubersampling off, and i'm running at 1980x1020 so that shouldn't be an issue. maybe it's only certain scenes or something that are hosed with my specs and it'll pick up in FPS later?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Comte, can you comment on which option is going to be cheaper, buying Heart of Stone with the 15% discount and then Blood and Wine when it comes out or just getting both with the expansion pass?
Yeah I know it's probably only a matter of a few bucks here or there but I'm a very cheap person.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Senjuro posted:

Comte, can you comment on which option is going to be cheaper, buying Heart of Stone with the 15% discount and then Blood and Wine when it comes out or just getting both with the expansion pass?
Yeah I know it's probably only a matter of a few bucks here or there but I'm a very cheap person.

Wait a while after both of those are released and buy them in one of many Steam or GOG sales.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Wiseblood posted:

I couldn't help but tell when a scene was pre-rendered since it looked so much worse than in-game.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Senjuro posted:

I have no idea, I don't sell em, I just make em.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You'd think the season pass would still be cheaper because there'd be no point in it otherwise

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've bought season pass because:
1. I was still high after finishing my first playthrough
2. I had some disposable income
3. I needed it for some goal of some promotion on GOG I cannot remember now.
I honestly won't be even mad if season pass ends up being same price as separate expansions, but I want some store credit if they end up cheaper!

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

So I haven't gotten that far in this game, but I was thinking about the Lodge.

When I was playing Witcher 2, I remember thinking 'yeah, the lodge is kinda manipulative, but I actually agree with their overall goals.' Talking with Sile in the tower at the end before she randomly sics a dragon on you I was just like "yeah ok, I understand, go on your merry way after freeing Saskia nbd," but the game wasn't having none of that, unfortunately.

Maybe they come out as more overtly evil or something later in W3? Anyway what I'm saying is the lodge did nothing wrong.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Their specific goals aren't any worse than any of the other assholes in the game like Henselt, Radovid, Emhyr, etc. But they do horrible things like enslave Saskia, subverting one of the only good military forces in the setting, then use her to torch an entire city to cover their trail after they're exposed (so ironically intending to kill as many mages as Radovid does in the other potential ending there). Also if you read the books Philippa is directly or indirectly responsible for almost everything bad that happens.

I'd actually argue if anything TW3 goes pretty drat easy on the Lodge and people are written as unrealistically forgiving of Philippa's actions.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

They and the conclave basically played god for generations to breed the perfect elder blood child that they could use to their advantage.

So yeah, kinda evil.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Well good thing they did otherwise white frost.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The only good guys are some of the people on Skelligans Island.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The only good guys were in Vergen.

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

They and the conclave basically played god for generations to breed the perfect elder blood child that they could use to their advantage.

So yeah, kinda evil.

I don't think most of the Conclave knew about that but I may be mis-remembering. Also that's easily among the least evil things they were involved in.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
There's no such thing as 'good guys' or 'bad guys'. It's a core theme.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

That guy who tortured hookers was definitely a baddie

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Bob NewSCART posted:

Use the latest crafted Witcher swords for your level. Everything else is vendor trash, although I did use a sword for a bit due to a ridiculous high crit chance that got rolled on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

The Sharmat posted:

Their specific goals aren't any worse than any of the other assholes in the game like Henselt, Radovid, Emhyr, etc. But they do horrible things like enslave Saskia, subverting one of the only good military forces in the setting, then use her to torch an entire city to cover their trail after they're exposed (so ironically intending to kill as many mages as Radovid does in the other potential ending there). Also if you read the books Philippa is directly or indirectly responsible for almost everything bad that happens.

I'd actually argue if anything TW3 goes pretty drat easy on the Lodge and people are written as unrealistically forgiving of Philippa's actions.

Honestly, I read the books (that are in English of course) between playing the W2 and W3 and somewhat regret my decision to let Philipa live.