Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They'd rather Hillary win than a Republican.
Many of the same companies that are donating to Hillary donate as much or more money to Republicans. They're hedging their bets: they'd prefer a Republican to win, but if a Democrat wins Hillary is who they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Trabisnikof posted:

Would you rather the DOJ have dropped a few civil rights cases instead? Maybe not investigated the Ferguson PD?

What you actually want are examples of things the DOJ was prioritizing at the same time they weren't prioritizing the financial problems, not stuff from the last year or two. Go back further!

Also, seriously - anyone? Anyone want to try to sell me on Hillary? She's got a few supporters here, I should have to be begging for this opportunity to consider her in ways I haven't before.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maarek posted:

Who cares WHY Eric Holder didn't do his job. We can't really prove whats deep within his heart without magical powers. What matters is that he didn't and more importantly he didn't even TRY. I think you're incredibly gullible if you think that these guys all escaped prosecution and coincidentally they gave tons of money to the people who run this country, but in the end it doesn't really make a difference.

But they did try, they reached a lot of settlements instead of pursuing into court though. Remember that these laws were written by congress which is probably friendly to the bank industry. In criminal case a jury is supposed to acquit if they do not understand or follow the prosecution's argument so these cases may not be as solid as you might think (hell a lot of the behavior might have been ruled to be legal!). The DOJ by settling gets a commitment for the company to change their practices and do not risk an embarrassing acquittal or worse.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

D_I posted:

Yes those principled corporations, never expecting any return on investment.

Of course they're expecting some degree of that, but that doesn't mean that she won't generally be tougher on WS than a Republican or softer by anything other than degrees than what she's said because, again, she has people like Liz Warren.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They'd rather Hillary win than a Republican.

Like again, if she says "we're going to be tougher on Wall Street" and then, doesn't, she's going to run the risk of getting lit up by Liz Warren and face a possible primary challenge when she runs for re-election.

Hahah, what? So in this hypothetical America 2020 that elected Hillary Clinton in 2016, people have become SO ANGRY about her not being tough on wall street that she's going to get run out of office as a sitting POTUS like Johnson in 68?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Crain posted:

And literally no one cares.

It's not really an "active shooter" if a guy just murders someone specific and leaves.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

JT Jag posted:

Many of the same companies that are donating to Hillary donate as much or more money to Republicans. They're hedging their bets: they'd prefer a Republican to win, but if a Democrat wins Hillary is who they want.

That doesn't mean that she's not going to generally do what she says she does.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

D_I posted:

Yeah they didn't go after Wall Street because in 6 years they would have to investigate Ferguson...

The majority of the 2008 crisis was caused entirely by legal actions. Hard to prosecute Wall Street when they haven't done anything illegal.

Most of that anger should be directed at the laws that allowed them to do it-. And the rest towards the weak response at reigning in those laws (dodd-frank), the GOP's complete resistance to it and constant attempts to sneakily remove parts of it.

There have been a few cases settled for billions in the last few years though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

It's not really an "active shooter" if a guy just murders someone specific and leaves.

lmao

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

But they did try, they reached a lot of settlements instead of pursuing into court though. Remember that these laws were written by congress which is probably friendly to the bank industry. In criminal case a jury is supposed to acquit if they do not understand or follow the prosecution's argument so these cases may not be as solid as you might think (hell a lot of the behavior might have been ruled to be legal!). The DOJ by settling gets a commitment for the company to change their practices and do not risk an embarrassing acquittal or worse.

Yes, we can successfully extract millions in fines from banks that made billions of dollars off of 2008. Wall Street beware, Justice is coming for you.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Maarek posted:

Hahah, what? So in this hypothetical America 2020 that elected Hillary Clinton in 2016, people have become SO ANGRY about her not being tough on wall street that she's going to get run out of office as a sitting POTUS like Johnson in 68?

If she wasn't worried about the left, do you think she wouldn't have shifted left on some policies?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

If she wasn't worried about the left, do you think she wouldn't have shifted left on some policies?
She's fending off the primary challenge she has now, not worrying about one in four years.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

If I'm not being clear enough I was just trying to politely imply that even you don't believe that is going to happen or a thing that could possibly happen.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mitt Romney posted:

The majority of the 2008 crisis was caused entirely by legal actions. Hard to prosecute Wall Street when they haven't done anything illegal.

Except for all those companies that broke a whole poo poo ton of laws that we know about because several of their employees turned whistleblower and went public, that the regulatory agencies effectively covered for.

There was enough cirminal wrongdoing a few high-profile cases to at least give people some confidence something meaningful was being done should have been possible.

Instead, we've got a handful of cases where the government took pay-offs accepted settlements in exchange for forgetting about the malfeasance.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You seem to be a big supporter, so I'll ask you in particular - where has Hillary demonstrated the sort of executive leadership skills that would indicate she'd be a good President? I honestly do not know much of anything she's actually taken the lead on.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Maarek posted:

If I'm not being clear enough I was just trying to politely imply that even you don't believe that is going to happen or a thing that could possibly happen.

I think, generally, that there's enough resentment from the left that it would be big enough of a thing to keep her at least mostly honest on the promise, because even if she didn't get actively primaried she has to worry about, and will, what happened to Bush 41.

JT Jag posted:

She's fending off the primary challenge she has now, not worrying about one in four years.

I think that any modern presidential campaign starts gaming out the next election as soon as the current one is over.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Can we really call them "Mass Shootings" when they don't occur in church at Mass?

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Yeah it's pretty amazing how D&D has effortlessly slid into the Obama narrative of what happened after 2008.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Joementum posted:

The idea that it's Jesse Jackson's fault there are no viable black maoist parties in the US is... far-fetched.

I agree, that would be an absurdly overstated reading of the history, which was that Jackson's radical contingent was assimilated into the party and relentlessly colonized until it was nearly unrecognizable. Blaming any one person (the victim even, in a sense) for this emergent systemic outcome would be absurd.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Maarek posted:

Yes, we can successfully extract millions in fines from banks that made billions of dollars off of 2008. Wall Street beware, Justice is coming for you.

That's why the companies settled. If Justice settled for that then they may have thought that there was a very real chance that the company would be acquitted. Or worse, whatever the behavior was was ruled legal as a matter of law.

If you're talking about the mortgage transfer fraud that's all at the state level unfortunately.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's not state level if you use RICO.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

You seem to be a big supporter, so I'll ask you in particular - where has Hillary demonstrated the sort of executive leadership skills that would indicate she'd be a good President? I honestly do not know much of anything she's actually taken the lead on.

She was incredibly effective as a senator as being a real workhorse -- that's well documented. She also laid the foundations for rebuilding our reputation abroad as SoS. She's consistently championed women's issues and has been better on HCR than Obama ever thought about being. I think, more than Sanders, she's understands governing in prose and I don't see him in that fashion.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Maarek posted:

Supporting a war that has cost us trillions of dollars, thousands of lives, and resulted in the death or displacement of countless more and the rise of the Islamic State is not really something you can just call a mulligan on. I'm not a single issue voter but if I have my pick between someone who voted against that and someone who voted for that I'm gonna lean to the former.

It is not really about that at all, it is about the priorities of the various blocs in the Democratic party in my opinion.

You realize Bernie voted multiple of times to keep dumping those trillions, right? And he's voted for how many big military projects for his home state?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mitt Romney posted:

Most of that anger should be directed at the laws that allowed them to do it-. And the rest towards the weak response at reigning in those laws (dodd-frank), the GOP's complete resistance to it and constant attempts to sneakily remove parts of it.

There have been a few cases settled for billions in the last few years though.

This isn't really true.. There were a multitude of actual crimes, not least of them fraud, that Holder's AG simply refused to prosecute.

Taibbi's _The Divide_ is a good source. Basically, Holder is a living avatar of regulatory capture.

Or Hell, look at Corzine.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

What you actually want are examples of things the DOJ was prioritizing at the same time they weren't prioritizing the financial problems, not stuff from the last year or two. Go back further!

Rebuilding the Civil Rights division was a huge resource sink from the very start of the Obama administration, as it should have been. The ability to investigate the later cases (and the voting rights cases started pretty quick) is because they spent a ton of resources building up the department.

this_is_hard posted:

or maybe they could have actually prosecuted some of the corporations and people directly responsible for the largest financial catastrophe in a generation? :whatup:

Basically this:

hobbesmaster posted:

Combined with the fact that the DOJ is just out gunned versus Wall Street. If you're a big Wall Street firm facing DOJ investigation, you're basically willing to spend as much money as it takes to avoid or reduce billion dollar fines (or worse). Meanwhile, if you're the DOJ you're got dozens of equally well funded firms and you don't have the resources of even just one of these firms.

GlyphGryph posted:

You're probably not going to get a good answer in this thread, since this isn't a primary thread.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

euphronius posted:

It's not state level if you use RICO.

If you use RICO there aren't any statutes of limitations either.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

There were a myriad of whistleblower cases that COULD have been prosecuted but DOJ took a knee until the clock ran out on them. I don't know, I guess we have fundamentally different views of the way this country works if you think Justice really wanted to get those crooks but just couldn't do it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This isn't really true.. There were a multitude of actual crimes, not least of them fraud, that Holder's AG simply refused to prosecute.

Taibbi's _The Divide_ is a good source. Basically, Holder is a living avatar of regulatory capture.

Or Hell, look at Corzine.

Also that Loretta Lynch's DOJ has already said that they will go after individuals.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Also that Loretta Lynch's DOJ has already said that they will go after individuals.

Yeah, exactly. If it was Just Impossible Nothing Can Be Done You Don't Understand These Things, we wouldn't be seeing such a strong and immediate policy change.

The "it was all legal, what can you do" mythology is the left wing version of Just World. Nobody got prosecuted, so it must all have been legal!

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You realize Bernie voted multiple of times to keep dumping those trillions, right? And he's voted for how many big military projects for his home state?

Yeah, when you really think about it voting for budgets and pork really are just as bad as supporting the invasion of Iraq.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Aurubin posted:

So is the House going to pass a spending bill or does the government shut down again?

Nobody even knows this is about to happen. Nobody where I work has had any clue this is looming when I bring it up. It's what, a week away?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

She was incredibly effective as a senator as being a real workhorse -- that's well documented.
This is a good thing, though not really much evidence of leadership. I don't doubt she's a skilled and hardworking politician, that bit is obvious. Did she fill many/any leadership roles while serving as a Senator?

quote:

She also laid the foundations for rebuilding our reputation abroad as SoS.
Did she do this through some really stellar appointments? By crafting a new narrative and inspiring the department to pivot and follow it? Or was it mostly be being competent and accomplishing the goals Obama set out for her to accomplish? Because, again, I'm not questioning her competence, I'm wondering about her ability to set the narrative and lead - things Obama was good at, which is why we actually got his Health Care Reform and not Hillary's.

quote:

She's consistently championed women's issues and has been better on HCR than Obama ever thought about being. I think, more than Sanders, she's understands governing in prose and I don't see him in that fashion.
I don't know what "governing in prose" means exactly. What particular things are you talking about when you say she championed women's issues?

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Sander's foreign policy is bad and it only manages to look good or passable when you compare it to the amazingly awful foreign policy of our political leaders and country. He's ok with blowing up Palestinians, he was okay with bombing the Balkans, etc. Even Bernie 'Bombman' Sanders wasn't on board with Iraq, which is going to go down as our worst foreign policy disaster since Vietnam, and I wish that we could stop pretending voting for that war was not a big deal.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Also, seriously - anyone? Anyone want to try to sell me on Hillary? She's got a few supporters here, I should have to be begging for this opportunity to consider her in ways I haven't before.

:allears: Boy, have I got the thread for you! And everyone else who seems to not be aware that there is a thread that explicitly exists to keep the Hillary vs. Bernie slapfight quarantined elsewhere!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Its pretty clear to my eyes that the only way anything good gets passed in the next 10 years is by doing deals with the devil, either metaphorically (Boehner) or literally.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
There's an entire loving forum for hildawg v. bernie posting holy poo poo I thought something real other than the professor in Mississippi getting shot.

ElegantFugue posted:

Boy, have I got the thread for you! And everyone else who seems to not be aware that there is a thread that explicitly exists to keep the Hillary vs. Bernie slapfight quarantined elsewhere!

what this dude said

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

There's actually no need to sell you; she's going to be the President and nothing can prevent this.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

ElegantFugue posted:

:allears: Boy, have I got the thread for you! And everyone else who seems to not be aware that there is a thread that explicitly exists to keep the Hillary vs. Bernie slapfight quarantined elsewhere!

I'm not talking about Bernie, nor am I asking questions Bernie supporters care about, not are there any Hillary supporters in that thread that would be willing to answer such questions. I'm not asking about her actual campaign, I'm not discussing her poll numbers or her favorability or her odds of winning or anything.

And even then I posted there first and was completely ignored, while here there are people that clearly actually want to discuss it, maybe you should try to convince the Hillary supporters to go there instead of me?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 14, 2015

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

This is a good thing, though not really much evidence of leadership. I don't doubt she's a skilled and hardworking politician, that bit is obvious. Did she fill many/any leadership roles while serving as a Senator?

She specifically shied away from it and worked on projects that didn't get her lots of credit/name rec, but were vitally important.

GlyphGryph posted:

Did she do this through some really stellar appointments? By crafting a new narrative and inspiring the department to pivot and follow it? Or was it mostly be being competent and accomplishing the goals Obama set out for her to accomplish? Because, again, I'm not questioning her competence, I'm wondering about her ability to set the narrative and lead - things Obama was good at, which is why we actually got his Health Care Reform and not Hillary's.

I don't know what "governing in prose" means exactly. What particular things are you talking about when you say she championed women's issues?

These are more or less the same questions. Basically the old addage is that you campaign in poetry and govern in prose. Hillary, in my mind, is much more comfortable with the wonk of running the government and achieving incremental progress than she is big, splashy "narrative things."

But she is capable of it. In 1995 she went to Beijing as first lady and gave one of the most spirited defenses of women's rights of any national figure to that point, and she went much further in admonishing the Chinese on the issue than any American figure had publically done, let alone directly to them.

As SoS she traveled, doggedly and extensively meeting with world leaders to reestablish ties.

ElegantFugue posted:

We've been cleared by AA to talk about the primaries here, for those of us who don't want to wander into RSF.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Maarek posted:

Yeah, when you really think about it voting for budgets and pork really are just as bad as supporting the invasion of Iraq.

At least Clinton says the invasion was wrong, has Bernie even been asked if he'd keep funding our assorted military larks including the dronings and poo poo he funded? Has he acknowledged his state's own big profits off it when condemning the military industrial complex? It feels like no matter how much people bitch about coronations no one seems to be interested in asking Bernie any actual questions about his kinda problematic votes.

Has anyone even said 'yo you voted against the fuckin Brady Bill, what the hell dude'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Maarek posted:

Another thing that could be a big deal: Bernie Sanders in charge of the DOJ instead of someone who has cement mixers full of hundreds being poured into their campaign from wall street. That could be cool, I guess.

Are you suggesting he'd end the current profit prison scheme? Because he would run in to even more resistance (from both parties) than Obama did trying to close Gitmo.

JT Jag posted:

This presupposes that Hillary is more electable. I'd agree that she was, if:

A. She wasn't bogged down in scandals that are killing her national favorability, and:
B. Apparently terrible at campaigning, to the point that she is unable to divert the discussion away from the scandals.

The problem with A is that the scandals are a case of "where there's smoke there's fire, and I know there's fire because I lit the match" with the GOP desperately trying to bury her because if they didn't she would completely crush them in the general election. In place of actual crimes they just keep throwing poo poo and then saying that because it smells so bad it must be her fault. I don't like Hilary but the scandals are all bullshit from a group terrified of another Clinton presidency.

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you really think Eric Holder was bought off by Wall Street?

Or could it instead be that the case budget of the DOJ is tiny compared to the legal budget for a big Wall Street firm and companies built by smart criminals often have record-keeping "issues"?

There's zero reason the DoJ couldn't have literally seized the bank that was willingly helping a drug cartel launder money. Instead they got a joke of a punishment when a normal person would be spending the rest of their life in a fedmax. The DoJ doesn't go after Wall Street people who are caught dead-to-rights for the same reason Patreus got a slap on the wrist instead of a cell next to Manning: people in power cover for each other. There was quite literally no possible way for Patreus or the cartel-helping banks to refute the evidence proving what they did and unless a lawyer could get the evidence tossed they'd have been up poo poo creek if the DoJ actually cared to come down on them with full force of the law. Holder might've been better than others on civil rights but he's a total piece of poo poo when it comes to Wall Street.

I''m not asking for those people to be executed (though I wouldn't object to a judge ordering it) but people like Holder absolutely engage in some horse trading bullshit that lets people walk because they're sufficiently connected.

• Locked thread