Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jose posted:

chicken breasts are insanely expensive in england and bad for poor people on a budget. are they cheap in the US?

Meat in general is more expensive in the UK than the US. That said, frozen chicken breasts from like Iceland or something are about as cheap relatively speaking to other meats as they are in the US (you'll still get more meat-per-pound with sausagemeat or something, obviously).

Also, our meat is sold in metric these days, so technically y'all are the ones with obtuse units now. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

FoxTerrier posted:

I made this yesterday, and it was simple and delicious. Exactly what I was craving to have with soup or tea.

FWIW, because the recipe didn't specify I used bread flour, and it worked great. I also used salted butter and it didn't hurt anything. Next time the only thing I would change is spraying my hands with canola oil before I handle the dough, because it's super sticky.

Anybody on the fence about making this totally should.

Super glad you enjoyed it. I actually made a contribution to this thread which has helped me out tons!

That's really good to know on using the bread flour. I am lazy and only keep one flour in the apartment for storage and ease reasons. Now I want to try it both ways to compare. If I remember right, I've only ever done it using a rubber spatula to mix and thus avoided any use of hands. Most of the quick breads I've done tend to be more more like a batter than a true dough.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Meat in general is more expensive in the UK than the US. That said, frozen chicken breasts from like Iceland or something are about as cheap relatively speaking to other meats as they are in the US (you'll still get more meat-per-pound with sausagemeat or something, obviously).

Also, our meat is sold in metric these days, so technically y'all are the ones with obtuse units now. :colbert:

I highly recommend buying whole chickens and breaking them up. I make three suppers for two adults and one (fussy) kid out of one 7-800 gram chicken: I carve out the breasts and use those for example for pan-frying, with the benefit that I get the skin too. The legs can be braised in something like adobo or, like last night, cooked with diced carrots, onions, celery, tomatoes and herbs and then shredded to make a very nice chicken ragų for pasta. The carcass I simmer for soup, with lots of root vegetables and noodles and even chickpeas to make it more hearty, with the meat picked from the carcass.

Breaking up a chicken is quite easy but can seem daunting. Most importantly you need a good kitchen knife.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Force de Fappe posted:

I highly recommend buying whole chickens and breaking them up. I make three suppers for two adults and one (fussy) kid out of one 7-800 gram chicken: I carve out the breasts and use those for example for pan-frying, with the benefit that I get the skin too. The legs can be braised in something like adobo or, like last night, cooked with diced carrots, onions, celery, tomatoes and herbs and then shredded to make a very nice chicken ragų for pasta. The carcass I simmer for soup, with lots of root vegetables and noodles and even chickpeas to make it more hearty, with the meat picked from the carcass.

Breaking up a chicken is quite easy but can seem daunting. Most importantly you need a good kitchen knife.

This. I shudder at the thought of buying not-a-whole-chicken anymore.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

feedmegin posted:

Say what you will about imperial, at lrast our system has a rhyme and reason.
You drive 30 miles, buy a few lit(re)s of petrol, stop off at the pub for a pint and worry about how many stones you weigh.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

its no big deal posted:

1 cup milk
4 bags chai/spice black tea
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup+ apple sauce/oil/butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar

Steep the team bags in the hot milk for 5 minutes, then remove. Reserve 2 Tbsp steeped milk for glaze. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Create well in middle. Pour in hot milk, vanilla and apple sauce. Mix well. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 F for 45-60 minutes.

When loaf is almost cool on wire rack, mix leftover milk with powdered sugar and leave for 5 minutes before pouring over cool loaf.

Tried this with apple sauce and it came out super duper dense; any idea what might have gone wrong?

its no big deal
Apr 19, 2015

silvergoose posted:

Tried this with apple sauce and it came out super duper dense; any idea what might have gone wrong?

It's 1/2 cup or more of it so maybe it wasn't quite enough. It could have maybe been due to over mixing it. I'm awful at trouble shooting baking problems so maybe someone else has ideas.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

its no big deal posted:

1 cup milk
4 bags chai/spice black tea
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup+ apple sauce/oil/butter
3/4 cup powdered sugar

Steep the team bags in the hot milk for 5 minutes, then remove. Reserve 2 Tbsp steeped milk for glaze. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Create well in middle. Pour in hot milk, vanilla and apple sauce. Mix well. Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 350 F for 45-60 minutes.

When loaf is almost cool on wire rack, mix leftover milk with powdered sugar and leave for 5 minutes before pouring over cool loaf.

yo how viable does this seem to you with a vegan milk, really wanna make it. I'm thinking almond milk and a tiny bit less sugar?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

a dozen swans posted:

yo how viable does this seem to you with a vegan milk, really wanna make it. I'm thinking almond milk and a tiny bit less sugar?

Should be fine. Use unsweetened almond milk if you don't want to have to guess a sugar adjustment. You can 1:1 sub almond for the real cow squeezins

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

nm posted:

Say what you will about imperial, at lrast our system has a rhyme and reason.
You drive 30 miles, buy a few lit(re)s of petrol, stop off at the pub for a pint and worry about how many stones you weigh.

not really, you use cups as a unit of measurement ffs

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jose posted:

not really, you use cups as a unit of measurement ffs
How much does a cup of petrol cost nowadays?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
How many gills of petrol has this conversation drank today?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

FoxTerrier posted:

I also tried a new slow cooker meal yesterday that went really well. It's basically this recipe here: (http://www.popsugar.com/food/Slow-Cooker-White-Beans-Tomatoes-Pancetta-36740436), but with the overpriced ingredients replaced with normal ones.

Put into your crock pot:

-8oz dried white beans (I used great northern)
-bay leaf
-some garlic cloves, minced
-2 chopped sweet onions, medium sized
-1 14oz can of peeled tomatoes, crushed
-some thyme (I used like 3 sprigs? Dried to taste would work fine too)
-4 cups water
-4 tablespoons olive oil
-3 or 4 pieces of chopped up bacon

Let it cook on high for about 6 hours, then add some salt and pepper to taste. Let is do its thing for another hour or two, then enjoy. After I put mine in a bowl I poured some extra olive oil it and shaved some parmesan on top, which was really tasty.

FWIW The author of the original recipe also suggests throwing in a parmesan rind at the start, which does get really melty and delicious in the slow cooker...but is frankly an unnecessary expense unless you have it around and doesn't make that much change to the overall flavor.

It made enough to feed myself, husband, and grandparents. Left enough for some lunch too. Not bad!

Just doubled this using lima beans and set the slow cooker on the counter to do its thing overnight. Looking forward to lunch, tomorrow.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Parmesan rinds are awesome for mixing into slow-cooked soups and stews.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Also, for chicken, if you have a Costco near you and are a member their meat and chicken is cheap as chips. I go once a month and buy 2 x 5kg packets for about Ģ30.

Costco is one of the only benefits of working in the public sector.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Recently discovered a strange but awesome poor folk recipe -- Ozark Pudding.

Yes, those measurements are correct. No, it doesn't look like it will work at all, but it does. I think it's better for breakfast than dessert, and it's good left over. You can make it in a greased cast-iron skillet if you don't have a baking dish.

Pecans are expensive but walnuts are just as good if not better.

spite house fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 17, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That is fantastic.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I texted the Ozark pudding recipe to my wife and just came home to her staying up late to make it. Guess it caught her attention as much as it did mine...

...gently caress typing, timer is going off :q:

E: It was delicious. We didn't quite have enough pecans for it so she upped the apple a bit. The tooth-sticking chewy rim it forms around the edge of the dish is addictive.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 18, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gaz2k21 posted:

Most butchers around here will do 5KG of chicken breast for Ģ20 of course at that price they aren't going to be free range.
That converts to 11 lbs for 30 dollars. $3/lb chicken is not a reasonable price for chicken to me UNLESS it's also free range organic fair trade. I usually find chicken for about $1/lb to $1.40/lb, and breasts are well under 2 bucks per pound. I can buy a whole roasted chicken for $4.99.

The only use I have for chicken breasts is for like, "heart healthy" meals for when cooking for people with high blood pressure etc.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
vegetables are cheap and so is pork I made grilled pork and grilled greenbeans for dinner last night and also ate a tomato I think the tomato was the most expensive thing cause it was 2.99 a pound

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Tomatoes and oranges can really add up quick. I'm a big fan of summer squash, it's cheap as heck, easy to make a million ways (great on the grill brushed with oil and seasoned however you like,) and can be thrown into anything. I like tossing squash into taco meat when it's almost fully cooked down, adds a bit of sweetness and color and helps it a go a lot longer way than it might otherwise.

A lot of meat is super expensive right now compared to last year - even pork, I think because there was some swine disease epidemic that caused a ton to need to be destroyed earlier this year? I'm sad because I haven't seen any cheap racks of ribs all year. Beef is even worse, but at least chicken has remained fairly steady. Fuel prices aren't that high so I'm not sure what gives - usually it seems like the transport costs are what drives meat prices up, but even those little "new york strip petite sirloin" steaks that are usually 3.99/lb are like 5.99/lb or more. Corned beef is shockingly high as well, I usually look for them on sale and freeze a couple but this year after st pattys the prices simply never went down.

I got a bunch of thigh+leg quarters the other day, think I'm gonna do some jerk chicken with the big old cleaver my folks gave to me the other day. I've got all the spices (the allspice and nutmeg were two I previously didn't have,) and access to a bay tree.

I also caught some salmon the other day and filleted, portioned, and froze most of it. Need to get better at finding and catching them because there was a shitload of meat on that fish and it wasn't even very big - salmon have one of the highest "usable meat" ratios of any fish. Also saved a couple heads because hey, fish stock, fish stew, etc. My brother put most of his salmon in the smoker.

I made some tortellini (cheap dry stuff from the bulk section) last night with half a bag of frozen spinach and a can of stewed tomatoes as well, threw in some milk and flour and parmesan and it made a pretty nice, creamy pasta dish that goes well with a nice piece of fish. :)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

coyo7e posted:

Tomatoes and oranges can really add up quick. I'm a big fan of summer squash, it's cheap as heck, easy to make a million ways (great on the grill brushed with oil and seasoned however you like,) and can be thrown into anything. I like tossing squash into taco meat when it's almost fully cooked down, adds a bit of sweetness and color and helps it a go a lot longer way than it might otherwise.

A lot of meat is super expensive right now compared to last year - even pork, I think because there was some swine disease epidemic that caused a ton to need to be destroyed earlier this year? I'm sad because I haven't seen any cheap racks of ribs all year. Beef is even worse, but at least chicken has remained fairly steady. Fuel prices aren't that high so I'm not sure what gives - usually it seems like the transport costs are what drives meat prices up, but even those little "new york strip petite sirloin" steaks that are usually 3.99/lb are like 5.99/lb or more. Corned beef is shockingly high as well, I usually look for them on sale and freeze a couple but this year after st pattys the prices simply never went down.

I got a bunch of thigh+leg quarters the other day, think I'm gonna do some jerk chicken with the big old cleaver my folks gave to me the other day. I've got all the spices (the allspice and nutmeg were two I previously didn't have,) and access to a bay tree.

I also caught some salmon the other day and filleted, portioned, and froze most of it. Need to get better at finding and catching them because there was a shitload of meat on that fish and it wasn't even very big - salmon have one of the highest "usable meat" ratios of any fish. Also saved a couple heads because hey, fish stock, fish stew, etc. My brother put most of his salmon in the smoker.

I made some tortellini (cheap dry stuff from the bulk section) last night with half a bag of frozen spinach and a can of stewed tomatoes as well, threw in some milk and flour and parmesan and it made a pretty nice, creamy pasta dish that goes well with a nice piece of fish. :)
This is a really good post.

What blend of spices do you use for your jerk chicken its something I've always wanted to try to make but never had confidence

E: also somewhat related, I like to get those dry tortellini also then just sauté up a big pan of summer squash, zucchini, onion, garlic to go with it then top it all off with a diced tomato just slightly cooked so that its soft. Really cheap, really easy, really delicious!

Nooner fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 24, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
RE tomatoes and oranges: I've gone to the store and seen what looked like a good price on tomatoes and/or oranges, and realized at the checkout that they actually cost more than mos tof the rest of my groceries combined! Those pre-filled bags of oranges (the store-filled ones, not the mesh bag ones which are usually pretty cheap) can be especially spendy if you don't watch it.. I put maybe 6 to 8 oranges into a bag one time and it almost cost $10 because each individual fruit was over a full pound - I am not proud enough to knuckle under at the checkout line and pay for that poo poo to impress whomever's behind me, so I had them put it back. I like oranges buy at that price I would be happy with canned mandarins or some poo poo.. After growing tomatoes for a couple/few years and harvesting them from my family's plot as well, i just can't fathom buying more than a single tomato at the store or farmer's market, when three or four can cost maybe 3 to 5 bucks, and they always taste like crap compared to the good stuff. :(

Nooner posted:

This is a really good post.

What blend of spices do you use for your jerk chicken its something I've always wanted to try to make but never had confidence

E: also somewhat related, I like to get those dry tortellini also then just sauté up a big pan of summer squash, zucchini, onion, garlic to go with it then top it all off with a diced tomato just slightly cooked so that its soft. Really cheap, really easy, really delicious!
I think I posted previously ITT about jerk spices, because a roommate of mine had left a jar from Natural Grocers or Trader Joes or some poo poo in my fridge, and it was expired or almost-expired.. I took a few chicken thighs (removed the bones beforehand because I had no cleaver, and make skewers with the meat which worked out beautifully since it was all dark meat) and put it on them overnight before cooking on the grill.

This time I've just been googling recipes, now that I have a vague idea of what it is supposedly supposed to resemble it really seems pretty simple - although I'm shocked at the amount of bay used in a couple recipes I found (one recommends using TWELVE ground-up bay leaves for just 3 lbs of chicken LOL), it seems to pretty consistently rely mainly on allspice and then being spicy - much like some african recipes I'm fond of (spinach fish using tilapia omg so good so easy, so good on rice and the recipe is easy to work with what you've got if you like spicy stuff http://www.kadiafricanrecipes.com/spinachstew.html ) it seems like you can really almos tuse anything laying around, as long as you hit a couple of high notes spice-wise, and then add some spicy as well.

I'll probably do my jerk chicken tomorrow because I've got a pack of quarters that needs to be frozen immedaitely or used, I'll try and remember to post what I did and how it turned out, tomorrow. Allspice is out of my normal game so I'm really interested in learning to use it effectively, and I just got this awesome new cleaver - my dad even sharpened it before handing it over. :glomp:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 26, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
If you live in California, the best place to buy oranges (besides ranch 99) is always the side of the highway. Same for avocados and so forth.

If you don't, try to find your local Mexican green grocer, because they're likely tapping into that same stream of "cast offs" that they sell for über cheap. And the thing about cast off oranges and such is that the fruit is usually better - when insects or what have you attack the fruit in the field, the natural response from the plant is both to scar where the damage occurred but also to boost sugar production as an antibacterial method. This means the fruit is no longer appealing to the eye of the average Ralph's shopper and thus doesn't make the marketing cut, but the fruit in actuality is much tastier. These are the fruits that show up on the side of the highway in unmarked plastic bags or at the local Mexican fruit seller.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Plus while you're at that mexican grocery store you can stock up on tomatillos and peppers for next to nothing.

The farmers markets in northern california have pretty varied prices, but are worth checking out weekly.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Someone else here mentioned they were in the WNY area. Tops, AKA Giant/Martin's/Stop and Shop/etc seems to have their stand of Dion spices 75% off. It's still not the cheapest but it makes a package of something odd like porcini salt like a buck.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I like this thread.

My #1 money sink right now is eating out. I'm trying hard to stop that to save money and eat healthier. Plus, I just like the feeling of dinner slowly cooking on a lazy Sunday. Reminds me of when I was a kid. :)

Lately I've been making sure to stock up on things I like when they go on sale rather than buying just what I need as soon as I need it. Thanks to that, I was able to make myself dinner for the week with ingredients we already had at home. That feels good.

To contribute, here's a thing I did yesterday to get some protein in the fridge for the week - lemon pepper chicken:

1/2 cup lemon juice
4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp kosher salt
3/4 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 fresh lemon
3 lbs chicken thighs (I had boneless/skinless from Costco but I imagine bone-in is just fine)

Put everything but the chicken and the fresh lemon into the slow cooker pot and mix it up.

Add each thigh one at a time, making sure to swish them around in the lemony goodness.

Slice up a lemon and put the slices on top of the chicken.

Cook on high for 4 hours.

The recipe I found online had an optional step of putting them under the broiler to brown them, but the pieces were so tender they were falling apart and it was getting late so :effort:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Whichever San Diego goons posted about Zion Market and Miramar C&C thank you so much, you saved me a shitload of money this week :love:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

DizzyBum posted:

To contribute, here's a thing I did yesterday to get some protein in the fridge for the week - lemon pepper chicken:
One of my favorite poultry tricks is to slide slices of lemon, cloves of garlic, or just rub my spice mixture in beneath the skin. I personally hate poultry skin 90% of the time and it also can cause a lot of extra fat dripping around if I'm grilling, but it is the best way to keep flavor against the meat and when you do get the right crisp, it's great.

One of my original "I'm poor and lazy but want to cook something decent" is taking a couple chicken quarters, a few slices of onion, and some quartered potatoes, then putting the quarters on top of onion slices and sliding some onion in under the skin, then throwing in potatoes and maybe carrots. Maybe use a basic rub, generic steak seasoning mix, or even just some curry or something, then bake it all in a baking dish or cast iron skillet. Two chicken quarters and enough potatoes and stuff is like 2 or 3 days of food, and microwaves quite well if you take it to work for lunch. If you don't use white meat you'll also have enough chicken fat in the pan to save for other uses like gravy for breakfast. I wouldn't use breasts for this recipe without covering the dish and adding some oil.

Also biscuits are pretty easy to make (for your gravy in the morning!), although they take a bit of practise. I can't stand those canned biscuits, they leave a plastic taste in my mouth. Once you make a batch they'll last for a couple/few days depending on how you store them, and then you can just nuke some gravy and toss it on top of cold biscuits, or eat them with PB&J

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 28, 2015

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So like three weeks or so back I saw a sale on these big boxes of pork ribs, 5 lbs for like $3.50. I haven't found ribs below $2/lb all summer so I bought them sight-unseen.

Turns out they were frozen flanken ribs. I stuck them in the freezer because I didn't want to deal with a basketball made of frozen meat, and forgot about them for a while.
:siren: :911: :siren:

However last night I took them out and left them overnight, they were just slightly icy when I got up and rinsed and dried them this morning. Then I made some barbecue sauce. A couple of crusty year-old mostly empty bottles of sauce, some thick korean hot sauce, garlic and chili powder, pinoy sauce (spicy coconut vinegar, it's active and as healthy as good cider vinegar as well), brown sugar, cider vinegar, little mustard, a tablespoon or two of chopped ginger that I've been storing in rice vinegar because I hate when my ginger gets all dry and stringy.. Touch of blended sesame oil, and some smoked paprike..

Slapped the sauce on the ribs with a brush, laid them out in a big steam tray that an old roommate abandoned (if you don't have any, get a couple, they're very useful and indestructible, as well as super useful for prepping, cooking, or serving food) and baked them for near an hour at 300. Poured off the liquid, tossed them on the grill, brushed on the rest of the sauce and got them nice and caramelized.

Right now they're covered and in the oven on warm while I make some savory rice and brush some carrots with blended sesame oil with garlic and ginger, to be grilled up before everybody arrives for the game. under 10 bucks worth of stuff if you have the spices and basics laying around. Somebody else can bring the chips and dip.

Edit: don't think I remembered to mention the fish sauce and molasses.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 3, 2015

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Need to see more of the bike.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm going to a potluck tomorrow, and I'm planning on making cacio e pepe. However, I know some of the people going have dairy allergies. I want to make something to bring for them that's just as easy as and cheap as cacio e pepe, but dairy free. Does anyone have any recommendations?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Almost as easy:
Olive oil
Garlic
Red pepper
Anchovies

Boil pasta
Heat oil
Put anchovies in
Wait a bit
Put garlic and pepper in with oil and anchovies
Add pasta when done. Add pasta water if needed.
If you add broccoli to the pasta in the boiling stage it is even better as the broccoli will soak up the flavor.
Even my little brother who hates fish and doesn't love broccoli loves it.
Use shaped pasta like orecchiette

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm going to a potluck tomorrow, and I'm planning on making cacio e pepe. However, I know some of the people going have dairy allergies. I want to make something to bring for them that's just as easy as and cheap as cacio e pepe, but dairy free. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Would pasta tossed in a garlic, red pepper, and olive oil dressing work?

http://www.food.com/recipe/olive-oil-garlic-and-crushed-red-pepper-pasta-sauce-295835

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
If you're not using any parmesan, maybe chuck in some lemon zest, parsley and balsamic vinegar for flavour in your aglio e olio.

It's pretty much what I had for dinner last night, as I had no meat in the house, and no parmesan either. I did mine primivera style though with carrots, snow peas and roast zucchini with some capers and olives.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 14, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

EDIT: ^^^ Or I might try that. Hell, maybe I'll do a pasta-3-ways sort of dish. Hmm...^^^

Huh. I'll give that a try then. Do the anchovies really add that much flavor and depth to the dish? I'm not a huge fan of them, and I don't know what anyone else who's going thinks of them.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 14, 2015

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
My partner doesn't like anchovies either. It kind of needs something like that when you are skipping the cheese (as the cheese is salty), so that's the reason I added capers and olives.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

neogeo0823 posted:

EDIT: ^^^ Or I might try that. Hell, maybe I'll do a pasta-3-ways sort of dish. Hmm...^^^

Huh. I'll give that a try then. Do the anchovies really add that much flavor and depth to the dish? I'm not a huge fan of them, and I don't know what anyone else who's going thinks of them.

I've never had much luck myself using them (only tried twice though), but in professionally prepared dishes, they are great. Maybe mince them up so they don't look so fish-like?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Suspect Bucket posted:

I've never had much luck myself using them (only tried twice though), but in professionally prepared dishes, they are great. Maybe mince them up so they don't look so fish-like?

you basically want them to melt into the oil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Mashing them with a fork on a plate or cutting board before plopping in the oil works very well.

I also sometimes do the same with sardines rather than anchovies. And maybe oil and toast some breadcrumbs to top it.